The son of William H.
Danforth and Marianne (Morse), Albro was born
in Concord, Essex County, Vermont on August
25th and was the oldest son in a family of
father William was born in 1819 in Fort
Covington, New York and was the son of David
Danforth who was born in Hollis, New
Hampshire and served in the War of 1812.
David's wife was Paulina (Richmond) of New
Milford, CT. They were married in about 1806
in Fort Covington where they both passed away
- David in 1832 and Paulina in 1866.
mother Marianne Morse, was the daughter of
Nathan Morse of Framingham, MA and Polly
Fisher of Alstead, New Hampshire. After their
marriage in 1801 they moved to Vermont where
their thirteen children were born - Marianne
being the twelfth in order of that family.
Danforth married Eunice Matilda (Short), the
daughter of Martin and Matilda (Norman) on 21
November 1875 in Winona, Minnesota. They
became the parents of ten children, the first
four (Clara, Elizabeth, Lillian, George)
having been born in Minnesota.
left Minnesota for the Dakota Territory where
their daughter Pearl was born in 1883
although Albro is enumerated in the 1885
Territorial Census (without his wife and
children) living in the household of his
younger brother Addison's household.
remaining children: Ruby, Harry, Everett,
Robert, and Leonard were all born in North
Dakota, and documents from the Bureau of Land
Management indicate that on the 3rd of
November 1890, Albro B. Danforth had filed a
homestead of 160 acres at the Montana State
Land Office, document #5399. The land was
located in Barnes County, North Dakota in
northwest section 24 of township 143-N, range
57W of the 5th meridian.
daughters married (Clara to William Neagle in
1904; Elizabeth to George Lockwood in 1895;
Lillian to Daniel Crowley in 1903; Pearl to
John Olson in 1901; Ruby to Knonley Moffit in
1906 ) and remained in the United States
while Albro headed north to Canada to
along with his sons George and Harry went to
Taber , Alberta, in 1906 and bought a half
section of land south of Purple Springs. The
following spring, the boys went back to North
Dakota and loaded up the family possessions
at the little station of Coal Gate, and were
met by Albro in Taber. Their arrived on the
evening of April 8th, 1907 with three car
loads of stock and equipment.
first erected a crude A frame building and a
big horse barn, and when a good hen house was
completed, Eunice and the youngest son
Leonard joined the family.
the following fall, a more suitable home was
built and the family settled in more
permanently. George and Harry took up
homesteads nearby, and by the time Everett
and Robert were old enough to homestead,
there was not enough land left, so in 1911
they filed on land in Township one in the
Sweet Grass Hills, south of Milk River near
the U.S. border.
died at the homestead on November 2nd of
1917. He and Eunice were both laid to rest in
the Taber Cemetery.
contributed by Jeff McEwen, edited by pdp