Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
PDP's Roots & Branches - Websites by P. Davidson-Peters
 
 
 
 
Biographies relative to the Daily family of Clark Co., Indiana
 
Updated 25 Jun 2014
 
GEORGE BENTLEY
History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" by Boyd Crumrine, Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts & Co., 1882

George BentleyPrior to the war of the Revolution there came from England to this country one George Bentley, who settled in Chester County, Pa., where he married and remained until the close of the war, when, with his wife and children, he emigrated to the then wilderness of Western Pennsylvania. He first located on Jacobs Creek, where he remained until about the year 1787, when he bought of Charles Lipe the property now owned and occupied by his grandson, also named George. For the property he paid,100. His wife was a Miss Jane Carson, and was born in Ireland. To them was born a large family. Of these Sesch. B. built and operated the mill now owned by Mr. Harris. Among his brothers were Benjamin, Jeffrey, Abram, and Joseph, all of whom did their part towards making the wilderness blossom like the rose. On the land bought of Lipe he built the stone house which is still standing and occupied by his descendants. He also built a grist-mill, which, though a small affair, was much needed and duly appreciated. It was about the first one erected in this part of the county.

In 1818 Mr. Bentley bought for $7650 the property lying between the farm above named and the farm now owned by the heirs of Moses B. Thompson. This was a large amount of money for those days, and paying for it was a long and arduous struggle, but was finally accomplished. In 1800, or about that time, Mr. Bentley died. Joseph, who was born in Chester County, Pa., in time came into the possession of the Bentley estate. He was married to Mercy Daily, by whom he had seven children, viz.: Benjamin, Mary, Levi, Eli, Jesse, Absalom, and George, all of whom are now dead except George. Of these only Mary, Jesse, and Absalom left heirs. Joseph's first venture in business was a grist-mill and linseed oil mill on Piney Creek Fork, which he operated five years, and then moved to the Nathan Dally farm, where he followed distilling. Afterwards he moved to the old homestead, where he died in 1842.

In 1840 he deeded his estate to four of his sons, of whom George was one. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died respected by all. His youngest child, George, was born March 5, 1809, and is now the last of the family, and on the old homestead where he was born is passing away the evening time of life, the possessor of the Bentley estate, which has become very valuable, and which came to him by purchase and by will. None of the broad acres left by his ancestors have grown less in value by his having owned them, and the honor and integrity of the family name has never been dimmed by act or deed of his. He is in politics a Republican, believing that party to be the exponent of honesty and advancement. For many years he has been an Odd-Fellow, and was a charter member of Advance Lodge, No. 697, in which he has held most of the offices. White Mills village was laid out by him on part of the old homestead. Mr. Bentley is a member of no church, a follower of no creed, his motto being to "live and let live."

 
SILAS BOTTORFF
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

Silas was the 2nd of four children, three boys and one girl. His father Jacob was a native of PA who had moved to Kentucky early and then to Clark County, IN in 1816. He married Isabella Fouts, the daughter of Jacob Fouts (born in North Carolina January 14th 1782) and Mary Dongan. Her parents had married in 1806 and her father Jacob died 26 October 1860, her mother Mary on 29 October 1869.

Silas and Isabella were the parents of five children: William A., Mollie, Carrie, Belle and Jacob F. Bottorff.

 
JACOB BOYER
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

Jacob Boyer was born near Lexington and emigrated to Clark county when he was a boy. His father Philip was a saddler by trade and had married Barbara Liter and had had six children, Jacob being their eldest. Jacob was a shoemaker by trade but devoted most os his time to farming. His wife, Jane Kelly, was the daughter of Captain William Kelly who was born in Virginia in 1733, and married to a woman by the name of Margaret. Jane was born on 06 January 1811 and died on 26 August 1879.

William Boyer, son of Jacob, was born March 27, 1839. He married Annette E. Consley on February 2, 1875, daughter of Squire S.G. Consley who had been born in Clark county on January 24, 1827 and was the son of John Consley who was born in KY on 06 March 1800 and had married Elizabeth Giltner on 13 March 1823 who had come to Clark county from Lexington in 1808. William and Annette were members of the Presbytarian Church and the parents of three children.

 
JAMES M. BOYER, M. D.
A Genealogical and biographical record of Decatur County, Indiana, Lewis Publishing Co., 1900

Dr. Boyer is a prominent and popular physician of Sardinia, Decatur county, Indiana, and a descendant of one of the oldest and best known families of that locality. His parents, William and Mary (Miller) Boyer, were natives of Clark county, Indiana, where they were married. William was the son of John Boyer, a farmer who lived in Maryland. The father of John Boyer, also named John, was a native of Alsace, France, and emigrated to America at an early day, settling in Maryland, where he spent the remainder of his life. He had a brother who was a surgeon on the staff of Napoleon I., and another brother, Lewis, who was the first French governor of Vincennes. After his term of office expired he left that place, and his family lost all trace of him. John Boyer, Sr., came from Maryland to Indiana and settled on a farm in Clark county, where he reared his eight children, whose names were James, Mary, William, Eliza, Louise, Andrew, John and Margaret. The family held membership in the Methodist church.

William Boyer, father of our subject, was born at Charlestown, Indiana, and had but few opportunities for acquiring an education, but being a great reader he acquired a valuable fund of general information, which he put to practical use. He learned the trade of wagon and carriage maker, which he followed until increasing years began to tell on his strength and endurance. For eight years before his death he lived quietly, enjoying the fruits of a well spent life. He was killed in a railroad accident, October 4, 1897. Mr. Boyer as a member of the Methodist church, active in church work and broad-minded and charitable in his views; he was well-to-do and brought up his family in good style, and no citizen was more respected and esteemed than he. In politics he was a Douglas Democrat, but voted for Lincoln on his second nomination, and thereafter was in sympathy with the Republican party.

Mrs. Boyer, the mother of our subject, died in 1874. Her parents, John and Mary Miller, were of German and French descent, and came from Maryland to Indiana at an early day, settling on a farm. They were highly esteemed in their community. Their children are: Jacob, living in Davenport, Iowa; John, residing in Jeffersonville, Indiana; Mary, Mrs. Boyer; Nicholas, living in Davenport, Iowa; and Ann, Mrs. S. Tuell. The children are, as were their parents, all members of the Methodist church. To Mr. and Mrs. William Boyer eleven children were born, of whom the following record is given:. Marietta, Mrs. J. Long; John, deceased, was a farmer in Iowa; William, deceased in infancy; Ferdinand, a farmer in Iowa; Charles, a manufacturer of plows: Frank, superintendent of plow works; Clarence, a hardware merchant; Linus and Louis (Lucien); James M., the subject of this sketch; and Maude, the wife of J. F. McCullough, employed in a bank at New Albany, Indiana.

Dr. James M. Boyer was born in Charleston, Clark county, August 11, 1863. He attended the common schools in his boyhood, and later became a student at De Pauw University. He then entered Bowdoin College, at which he graduated. He made his own way through college and is a self-made man. He taught school for six years after his graduation, and was county superintendent of schools for six years. During this time he had constantly in mind the idea of becoming a physician, and when only twenty years of age began reading medicine with Dr. W. F. Worth, of Charleston, as his preceptor: he also studied under the instructions of Dr. D. C. Peyton, a leading physician of Charleston, and later prominent in the United States service, and physician to the Jeffersonville prison for many years, at which time Dr. Boyer was associated with him. Dr. Boyer attended lectures from 1893 to 1895, graduating in the latter year at the Kentucky School of Medicine, at Louisville. He was at first in partnership with Dr. Worth, at Charleston, but in March, 1896, came to Sardinia, which has since been his home. Here he has been very successful in securing a good practice, which is constantly growing, and he has gained the confidence of the people by his undoubted ability and thorough knowledge of his profession. He is still a young man and has a bright future before him.

In 1888 Dr. Boyer was united in marriage with Idella Scott, a lady of culture and refinement, who was born in Clark county, Indiana, September 9, 1867. Her parents were Caleb and Sarah Scott, both natives of Clark county. Her father is a prominent farmer and is highly educated, having studied for the ministry, but he gave up his plans in this line on account of his mother, who, by reason of her increasing years, demanded his care. He is an active worker in the Presbyterian church and a man of fine character. Mr. Scott had six children, namely: Dora, Mrs. Southerland; Idella, Mrs. Boyer; Homer, who was a Presbyterian minister and who died in May, 1899; Jennie, the widow of J. Fales; Virgil, also a Presbyterian minister, in Kentucky; and Charles, attending school. Two children have been born to Dr. Boyer and wife, namely: Ralph, born March 19. 1889, and Lewis, August 11, 1891. Mrs. Boyer is a member of the Methodist church, of which the Doctor is a liberal supporter. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, as well as of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, and also belongs to the Jennings County Medical Society. Politically he is a stanch Democrat and takes a lively interest in the success of his party at the polls.

 
JOHN CARR
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

It becomes our painful duty in this week's paper to announce the death of General John Carr, who died on the 20th instant [January 20, 1845], after a long and very painful illness. His death created a space which cannot soon be filled. General Carr was a man of no ordinary character. He had long occupied an elevated standing among his fellow-men. He was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, on the 6th of April, 1793, and had at the time of his death nearly completed his fifty-second year. he emigrated from that State with his father to the territory of Indiana, in the spring of 1806, having been a citizen of this county ever since - a period of thirty-nine years. During the summer of 1811 he was engaged in several scouting parties on the frontier, and in watching and guarding against the approach of the Indians, who were then known to entertain hostile feelings toward the settlers. At this time he was but eighteen years of age. In the fall of the same year he joined the Tippecanoe expedition, with Captain Bigger's company of riflemen, and was engaged in that memorable and bloody conflict, which occurred on the 7th of November of that year. On the declaration of war in 1812 he was appointed a lieutenant of company of United States rangers, authorized by an act of Congress and organized for the defense of the western frontiers. during the years of 1812 and 1813, he was actively engaged in several important and fatiguing campaigns, which were attended with extreme hardship and peril. the Missisinewa and Illinois or Peoria campaigns were particularly distinguished for their many privations, difficulties and hair-breadth escapes; in all of which he participated. During much of this time the command of his company devolved upon him, in consequence of the absence of the captain. Though then but a youth he was equal to any emergency.

After the war he filled successively several military offices. Among these were Brigadier and Major-general of the Militia of Indiana. The latter office he held at the time of his death. General Carr was repeatedly honored with the confidence of his fellow-citizens in the election to several civil offices of trust and honor. he filled at various times the offices of recorder, agent for the town of Indianapolis, clerk of the Clark County Circuit Court, to which he was re-elected, and Presidential Elector on the Jackson ticket in 1824. All these duties he discharged with honor to his country and himself. In 1831 he was elected a member of the House of Representatives of the Twenty-first Congress of the United States, and continued to serve in this body for six consecutive years. In 1837 he retired, but was re-elected for the fourth time in 1839, and served two years more, making in all eight years' service in that body. His Congressional career was noted for industry, efficiency, and usefulness. he originated the sale of lands in forty-acre lots, thus bringing within the reach of all the home that so many needed. He assisted in passing the pension act, by which so many of the old Revolutionary soldiers received pensions, and afterwards aided many of them in establishing their claims to this hard-earned bounty of their Government. In private, as well as in public life, he was distinguished for his nice sense of honor and the uprightness of his conduct. Of him it may be said in truth that he was one of God's noblest works, an honest man. In his intercourse with his fellow-men, he was modest and unassuming. he was at the same time frank and open, yet courteous. He had but few if any personal enemies. Among his neighbors he was beloved and esteemed by all. In the family circle he was a kind and tender husband and parent. Although General Carr was not a member of any church, we are happy to learn that during he last illness he sought Christ, and found pardon. he expressed a perfect resignation to die, and met death as became a Christian. His wife had preceded her consort to the grave; and in a few short weeks the domestic hearth has been bereft of its parental head, and those who were happy a few days ago under parental control and protection are now orphans. He left behind him give children, numerous relatives, and a host of friends. He was followed on yesterday by a large concourse of people to his place of interment in this town. he has been snatched from his friends, almost in the meridian of life, thus verifying the great and solemn truth, "in the midst of life we are in death."

 
JESSE COOMBS
EXCERPTS OF History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

Jesse Coombs came from Kentucky in about 1808 and married his wife Mary in 1809. His father, Jesse Coombs, Sr., was killed by Indians in about 1790.

The mill site of the Coombs mill in Union twp was used first for a saw mill in perhaps 1812 by Joseph Carr. After that Enos Tuttle built a log grist mill for grinding corn only, this about 1818. It burned down and the site fell into the hands of Jesse Coombs who rebuilt it for grinding wheat and corn. The present mill house built in 1840-1841 belongs to heirs of John D. Coombs and does some grinding yet.

William Coomb's Will dated April 9th 1810; Mentions son John Coombs - two beds and bedding with curtians, case of drawers, the cupboard and furniture, the fallen leaf table, one half dozen chairs and kitchen furniture - also choice of a horse beast and saddle, the loom and tackling - the crop of wheat that is growing. Also mentions sons Pope, William, and Daughter Margaret. Executors: Thomas Carr/Nancy Coomb.

David H. Coombs, son of Jesse who died in 1857, was born in Clark County, Indiana. At the age of 17 he entered the Charlestown Academy until age 21. He then studied with Dr. James Athen and went to Louisville Medical University, graduating at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in the Spring of 1850. He married Sarah Goodman, the youngest daughter of Colonel Goodman, on 04 November 1851 and moved to his wife's farm in Utica in 1876. She died in March of 1880 leaving a family of seven children.

William C., son of Jesse, was born in Clark county in 1831, married Rebecca M. Nugent of Charlestown in 1860 and had three children.

Hanibal H. was the son of Joel Coombs who had become a citizen of Clark county in 1801 and was formerly of PA. He had married in Kentucky and moved to Washington county in March of 1816, dying in Clark county in 1853. In 1847 H.H. Coombs moved to his father's farm. His brother William was killed at Buena Vista. In 1837 he married Rachel Houghland and had fourteen children. He had served as sheriff in Clark county in 1857-58-59.

 
WILLIAM CRAWFORD
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

William Crawford came from Virginia in 1814. He'd married previous to coming, Miss Sarah McCormack. They had three children in Virginia and four born in Clark county. Of those living in 1882, Mrs. Mary Ann Taggart, James C. and Josiah.

Reverend Josiah Crawford was born in Brook county, West Virginia. His father William was a native of Pennsylvania and came to Indiana in 1818, settling in Charlestown township where he lived until his death in 1871.

Reverend Josiah Crawford graduated from Hanover College in 1839 and from theological school in 1839. He married Miss Amanda Stewart in 1839, but she died in 1842. In 1848 he then married Phoebe H. Crosby, the daughter of Theophilus Crosby of Massachusetts, and had by her seven children.

 
DAVID WISE DAILY
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

The father of David W. Daily removed from Kentucky to Indiana in the year 1796, settling at a point some two and one-half miles south of Charlestown, in the then wilderness of this locality, which was chiefly inhabited by Indians. At that time all of the country lying between the mouth of Fourteen-mile creek and the Fall of the Ohio was covered by forest and dense undergrowth of cane. Not only savages, but wild beasts made their abode here. The panter, bear, and wolf added to the dangers which met the hardy and brave pioneers on the threshold of their forntier life in those days. On the 16th of August 1798 David W. Daily was born in a log house in which his father lived, on what is called the old homestead. A few years later, about 1801, his father commenced to build a new house - the first hewed log in this portion of Southern Indiana. In this house Mr. Daily spent his early days. The house is still standing (1882) and in very fair repair, although over three quarters of a century have elapsed since its construction. The first school he attended was situated on what was called "Bald Hill" near what is now called Buffalo lick, or Denny's lick, about one mile and a half from the place and about three miles from the "old homestead" is situated. The danger was so great from wild animals that his mother was accustomed to go with him a part of the way to school, and to meet him on his return in the evening, carrying a younger child in her arms. He subsequently attended another school near where the union church stands. It was in the winter time, and but for a very limited time that he was permitted to attend school at al. School facilities in those days were very limited at best, and of a very inferior character. It was toils and hardships and dangers which sur-rounded the first settlers and native born inhabitants of this country that Mr. Daily spent his boyhood and developed into a vigorous manhood. It is related of Mr. Daily that in 1809 at the age of , when the first sale of Charlestown took place, he with a stock of nice apples planted by his father probably the first orchard in the part of the county - which he sold to the people attending the sale. This was his first experience in trade. He was married to Miss Mary A Shirley, the daughter of a pioneer who lived near to his fathers place of residence on the 30th of August 1818 - the day of his funeral being the sixtieth anniversary of his wedded life. He became the father of eleven children, five boys and six girls, all of whom lived to be grown. Captain D.W. Daily, who did a few years since, forms the only break in the circle of children. There are thirty-one of his grandchildren and eighteen of his great-grandchildren living. He has also two sisters living.

He made several trading excursions to New Orleans in flat boats before engaging in business at Charlestown, on one occasion piloting his own boat over the Falls of the Ohio. At one time he took Mrs. Daily and his oldest son, Colonel Harry Daily, then a lad, with him, remaining South about eighteen months.

In 1826 he removed to Charlestown and engaged in merchandising. His first stock of goods was purchased at auction in Cincinnati. Although inexperienced in business of this kind, his natural good sense served him in this as in many other emergencies all thought his varied business experience. he closely inspected the various business men competing for bargains at this sale, selecting as his guide the one his judgement point out as the most reliable, and when a lot of good that suited him were up cautiously kept a shade in advance of his shrewd competitors. By this means he obtained a tock of goods upon which he was enabled to make a fair profit and deal justly with his customers. In his long and successful experience in merchandising, he always maintained his integrity and retained the confidence of all who dealt with him by honorable and fair dealing, and by pursuing a liberal policy towards his customers. By his financial ability and his disposition to accommodate he became a tower o strength and usefulness to the community in which he did business. In all of his long business life as a merchant and trader, and subsequently a man of means to loan to his neighbors reasonable rates of interest, no men can say that D.W. Daily ever oppressed them, or took any legal technical advantage of them. On the other hand, there are numerous instances of his having offered voluntary and timely financial aid to struggling and poor men - instances where men who need money, and could not find men who were willing to join in their notes as surety, were not coldly rebuffed by him, but kindly assured he would confide in their honor, furnishing the needed help without security. In the death of D.W. Daily this community universally and deeply realize that one of the best and most useful of men has been removed from them.

The high esteem in which his fellow citizens held him cause them to make demands upon him as a public servant. He was elected sheriff of Clark county in 1828 and was re-elected to the same office in 1830, serving two terms. In 1835 he was elected to fill the unexpired term of John M. Lemon in the State Senate, Mr. Lemon having been appointed receiver in the land office. At the expiration of this term, Mr. Daily was re-elected to the State Senate from the join district composed of Clark and Floyd counties. During this term of service the notorious and fatal internal improvement bill passed the Legislature of Indiana. Mr. Daily, to his lasting honor, with but ten members of the Senate, bitterly opposed its passage. Finding themselves in a hopelessness minority, they determined to bolt and thus prevent the passage of the measure by breaking a quorum. Their horses were ordered for their departure from the State Captial, when, through the influence of Tilghman A. Howard, one of the eleven bolters, they finally determined to remain and make the best fight possible in the Senate against the measure.

Mr. Daily died Thursday, August 29, 1878, aged eighty years and thirteen days. he was an extremely kind and indulgent father and affectionate husband, a good citizen in every true sense of the word, a most faithful friend and accommodating neighbor."

 

THOMAS HART DAILY
History of the Ohio Fall Counties by L.A. Williams

Thomas Hart Daily was a captain on General Jefferson C. Davis' staff (who was also a 2nd and 1st Lieutenant), as was his brother David W. Daily, both listed as having been of Georgetown.  This was the 22nd Infantry regiment, Company D, which was authorized for three years service.  On August 17th (1862) it was transported to St. Louis, where it joined Fremont's army, and was sent up the Missouri to the relief of Colonel Mulligan, who was beleaguered at Lexington.  It moved with Fremont to Springfield and Otterville; was in the affair at Blackwater, and marched in January with Curtis' expedition against Sterling Price, participating in the battle of Pea Ridge, in which it bore a prominet part, losing nine killed and thirty-two wounded, including Lieutenant Colonel Hendricks.  Its most famous engagement thereafter were at Perryville, Stone River, and Mission Ridge, and it was in a number of minor engagements.  After the reorganization as a veteran regiment, it took part in the Atlanta campaign, the march to the sea, and the final marches and battles northward.  It was mustered out at Washington early in June and publicly welcomed at Indianapolis on the 16th of that month.  Among the commissioned officers of Company D - Captain David W. Daily, Georgetown; Captain Isaac N. Haymaker (also a 2nd lieutenant), Georgetown; Captain James M. Parker (also 1st lieutenant), Georgetown; Captain Thomas H. Daily (also 2nd and 1st lieutenant), Georgetown; and First Lieutenant William H. Kalts, Georgetown.  Among the non-commissioned officers listed, was Sergeant David N. Runyan.

THOMAS H. DAILY
History of Johnson County, Indiana by David Demaree

Thomas H. Daily (deceased) was born December 4, 1841, in the town of Charlestown, Clark Co., Ind., and was a son of David W. and Mary A. (Shirley) Daily, natives respectively of Indiana and Kentucky. He was the youngest of a family of eleven children, seven of whom are living, and grew to manhood in his native county, in the common schools, of which he received the elements of an ordinary English education.

When the war cloud gathered over the country in 1861, he responded to the call for volunteers, enlisting when but nineteen years of age, in company D, Twenty-second Indiana Infantry, with which he served gallantly for a period of three years. He entered the service as a private, but soon obtained a lieutenant's commission, and later, was promoted captain, in which capacity he served on the staff of Gen. Jefferson C. Davis, between whom and himself there existed an intimate friendship. He participated in a number of campaigns and battles, and was with his command through all its varied experiences in the service, during which time he gained the good will of his men and the confidence and esteem of his superiors in office. He passed safely through various engagements in which his command took a part, but was severely hurt by being thrown from his horse against a tree, the effect of which was materially to shorten his life.

He was mustered out of the service of Atlanta, Ga., September 14, 1864, and on quitting the army he received through the interposition of a friend, the position of passenger conductor on the J., M. & I. Railroad without having to pass through the usual preliminaries and promotions required for such service. He ran a train for twelve years, but owing to physical disability superinduced by the injury received while in the army, was finally compelled to abandon the road, which he did very reluctantly. For about three years and nine months previous to his death, Mr. Daily was a confirmed invalid and during that time his comfort and satisfaction was to meet and converse with his old army comrades and recall the scenes of his battles and campaigns in which they took part while in defense of the flag.

He married September 27, 1868, Miss Maggie Walsh, daughter of John Walsh, Esq., who shared with him the future vicissitudes of life, and who is now living at her home in the town of Edinburg. Mr. Daily died on the 3rd day of May, 1881, and was buried in his native town of Charlestown.

He was a devoted member of the Catholic Church, in which faith his wife and children were also raised. Mr. and Mrs. Daily raised a family of three children, namely: Katie, born July 8, 1869; Ella W., born January 4, 1872, and Maria, born November 25, 1873, died February 28, 1880. Mrs. Daily has looked carefully to the intellectual training of her children, Miss Katie being a graduate of St. Mary's academy, an education institution located near Terre Haute. The other daughter, Ella W., is pursuing her studies at the same school.

JACOB FOUT
EXCERPTS OF History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

Jacob Fout's wife, Mary Dougan, was the daughter of Thomas who was a native of North Carolina. She was born on 19 March 1788 and died on 29 October 1869. They were the parents of nine children, including Mary who married William H. Work in 1841 and daughter Isabella (the 5th of their children) who married Silas Bottorff in 1837.

Mary Fout was the daughter of Captain Jacob Fouts who was born in Randolph County, NC on 14 Jan 1782 who had been a farmer and had married Mary Dongan/Dougan on 02 October 1806, emigrating to Clark county and purchasing 362 acres. Her mother, Mary Dongan was the daughter of Thomas, a native of NC. She was born on 19 March 1788 and died in October 1869 and had been the parents of eight other children, the eldest having died in infancy, but the others living to maturity. Her brother John Calvin Fouts had married Hester Ann Prather.

Mary's husband, William H. Work, was the son of Samuel Work and Elizabeth Henley. He had bought the Thomas Henley farm in 1853. He and Mary were the parents of Henry Francis Work 1842-1918; Dr. William T. Work (1851) - who had one son, died without issue; and daughter Mary Elizabeth Work (1844) who married on 21 June 1866, William H. McIlvaine, a native of Henry Co, KY and lived in New Castle, KY with two children.

John Fout was the youngest child of Captain Jacob Fouts who was born in Randolph county North Carolina on 14 January 1782. Jacob married Mary Dongan who was born March 19, 1788 and died in October 1869. She was the daughter of Thomas, a native of North Carolina. They were the parents of nine children. Their eldest child died in infancy.

John C. Fouts married Hester A. Prather, the daughter of Isaac and sister of Calvin. Hester was born near Jeffersonville, Clark county, Indiana on August 15th 1836. The couple had five children.

BASEL FOX
History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa: Containing a history ... etc by Keatley, John H., O.L. Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1883
Note from pdp: Please see photo for possible identification of Basel Fox

Basel Fox, farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in Putnam County, Ind., in 1827, son of James S. and Elizabeth (Enoc) Fox; he, born in New Jersey, she a native of Pennsylvania. They were married in Ohio and emigrated to Indiana in 1826. Both are deceased, our subject has one sister living, Mrs. Eliza Mullinix, who resides in Harrison County, this State. He was educated in his native State, where he lived until he was twenty-five years of age, when he started across the country with an ox-team and settled on his present farm in 1852. His resources at the time he arrived were $20.50 in cash, half-interest in the three yoke of oxen and wagon and a note against his brother for $55. They purchased together a claim of 400 acres at a cost of $20 in money and two yoke of cattle. Our subject bought his brother's interest for $110, and the wagon.

He then got Judge Casady to enter eighty acres of the land on time, paying him forty per cent interest. In this manner he struggled on, and now owns 385 acres of the original 400, most of which is fenced and is in a state of cultivation. He has made many substantial improvements, including two barns, one of which is 22x75, and a two-story residence. Mr. Fox was married in Indiana in 1849 to Amanda J, Bell, born in the same State. They have had twelve children, of whom four boys and four girls are living; the eldest born in December, 1850, and the youngest September 16, 1879. April 7, 1862, our subject enlisted in the Seventeenth Iowa Infantry, Company H, and after three years' service was mustered out at Davenport, this State. He took part in many heavy engagements, including Corinth, Iuka, Miss., Chattanooga and Mission Ridge. He was twice captured, once at Spring Place, Ga., and again at Tilton, Ga. He was five and a half months in Andersonville Prison, and was under medical treatment for ten months, being moved from one hospital to another. He is now a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in politics is a Republican.

GEORGE WILLIAM GATCH
Williams, Byron, History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio: Biographical, Vol. 2, Hobart Publishing Co., 1913

Mr. George William Gatch, one of the native sons of Clermont county, who has sought occupation in other fields, is a mail carrier of Cincinnati, residing on Cleveland avenue, Milford, Ohio. He is a son of Rev. George Gatch and was born on the old Gatch farm, near Milford, Ohio, November 6, 1842. He is also a grandson of the Rev. Philip Gatch, whose life record appears in these volumes.

The children of the Rev. Philip Gatch were:
Precosia, whose first marriage was. to Mr. Garland. She was again married to a Mr. Osburn.
Conduce, married Peggy McGrew.
Thomas, married first, Miss Barber, and second, Miss Lucinda McCormick.
George, married Sarah Jones. ,
Ruth, married Michael Swing, and a son of theirs, Philip B., became United States district judge.
Elizabeth, became the wife of Aaron Matson.
Philip, first married Miss Dimmitt, and second Miss Susan Ulrey.

George Gatch, the father of our subject, was born on a farm near Fredericksburg, Va., and was two years of age when his father, the Rev. Philip Gatch,came to Ohio, making the trip from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati on a flat boat. He was reared and educated in the schools of Clermont county, where the family finally located, and when quite young began his life in the ministry as a circuit rider. He married Miss Sarah Jones and settled on the “OldGatch Farm,” becoming a local preacher. He was the father of the following children:

John Jones, who died at the age of twenty-two years.
Asbury Phillip, married Etta Hopper, and died in 1911, leaving two children. He was a captain in the Ninth Ohio cavalry during the late rebellion, and served until the close of the war, going with General Sherman to the sea.
Rachel, passed from this life at the age of twenty-two years.
Elizabeth, died in early life.
Virginia, married Charles J. Buckingham, and died in 1868, at the age of thirty-five years.
Precosia, passed away in early life.
George William, the subject of this mention.
Mahala, married Charles J. Buchingham, and died when a young woman, leaving two children.
Samuel, married Lillian Wiggs. They live in Los Angeles, Cal., and have one child.

George William Gatch grew to young manhood on the home farm and received a good common school education, learning the details of farm life. November 30, 1871, he was united in marriage to Mary E. Boyer, of Milford, who is a daughter of Thomas Wallace and Eunice (Condit) Boyer. They have had two children born to their union:
Fannie B. is at home.
George W. married Miss Emma Vogt, and is a farmer of Montana. They have two sons, GeorgeAlbert and Wallace B.

From the “Old Gatch Farm,” George William inherited one hundred and sixty-six acres on which was the house built by his grandfather, Rev. Philip Gatch, and was the first frame building in this part of the country. It was used as a meeting place for the Methodists believers and sheltered many of the circuit riders of that day. In 1885, Mr. Gatch sold all of this farm with the exception of forty-six acres surrounding the home, and in the same year received an appointment as carrier of the mail in Cincinnati, and is still in the service.

Mr. Gatch was reared a Republican, but has taken no active part in politics. He and his charming wife are active members of the Methodist church of which Mrs. Gatch has taught in the Sunday school for many years, and has been most successful in this line of church work, she being popular with the young people. In 1867, Mr. Gatch became a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, of Milford, Ohio, and has filled all the chairs of his local lodge. In the latter years of the late war he joined the army, enlisting in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-third Ohio volunteer infantry, and was in the service of his country until the close of the war.

 
FRANK R.M. GILBERT
Baird's history of Clark County, Indiana by Lewis C. Baird, B.F. Bowen, 1909

The gentleman whose name forms the caption to this brief sketch is the proprietor of one of the leading livery and feed barns in Jeffersonville, his business being located at 120 Maple street.

Mr. Gilbert was born in Jeffersonville on December 8, 1843, and is a son of Frank. R.M. And Elizabeth (Reynolds) Gilbert, both natives of Kentucky, the former born in Hardin county in 1821 and the latter in Lancaster. They were married in Jeffersonville in 1842 and resided here during the remainder of their lives, the father dying in September, 1903, and the mother on January 12, 1907. They became the parents of eleven children, of whom Frank R.M. Is the eldest. Of these, three sons and two daughters are now living, namely: Laura A. Hallie, Hallie A., the wife of Clarence Beeler, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky; James L., an engineer on the Pennsylvania lines though residing in Jeffersonville; Aubrey resides in Knoxville, Tennessee, and is employed as a chief clerk with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad.

The subject's paternal grandfather, Squire Gilbert, was a Canadian by birth and during the War of 1812 was drafted into the British army. Not being in sympathy with the mother country, he and four comrades escaped and joined the American army in New York. After leaving the military service he “laid” his land warrant in Hardin county, Kentucky, where he lived until 1836, when he removed to Jackson county, Indiana. Here he spent the remainder of his days, dying in 1864 and leaving many descendants.

Frank R.M. Gilbert received his education in the public schools of Jeffersonville, and in 1870 began his career here as a liveryman, to which line of activity he has since devoted his attention. Socially he is a member of Clark Lodge No. 40, Free and Accepted Masons, while in politics he is a Democrat. In church relations the family is identified with the Methodist Episcopal church South.

On October 26, 1869, Mr. Gilbert was united in marriage with Florence A. Boyer, of Charlestown, a daughter of James A. and Charlotte Temple (Daily) Boyer both parents being members of old families in the vicinity of Charlestown. The Boyer's especially have been very prominent in the history of Clark county. To Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert have been born eight children, six of whom are living, namely: Rufus, who is engaged in business in Atlanta, Georgia, is married and the father of four children; Charlotte Temple is the wife of E.G. Holmes, of Indianapolis; Paul J., of Manchester, Iowa, who was formerly a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, resigned his pastoral work in order to enter what is known as the “singing evangelist” work in the Young Men's Christian Association; he is married and is the father of two children; William B. is married and resides at Indianapolis where he is employed with the Merchants' Dispatch; Laura A., at home; Howard W., at home, and two who died early in life.

JOHN HAY
EXCERPTS OF History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

John Hay settled in Charelstown in 1806. He emigrated from Kentucky. His son Campbell studied medicine with his brother A.P. and for many years practiced in Clark County. He was in the Black Hawk war as a U.S. Ranger in Captain Ford's company. Later in life he filled the office of auditor and clerk of the circuit court. In about 1882 he was town treasurer and was engaged as a druggist.

GEORGE HUCKLEBERRY, SR.
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

George Huckleberry, Sr., was a native of Wurtemburg, Germany. He came to America and settled in Pennsylvania until the year 1784, when he moved to Kentucky, Jefferson County, near Abbott's Station, where he had one son captured by the Indians. When the Indians found that they were being pursued they killed the boy near the Twelve-mile Island, which was the cause of the creek on the Kentucky side being called Huckleberry.

In the year 1796 he moved to Clark Co., Indiana, near Charlestown Landing, where he purchased a large tract of land. He had seven sons and two daughters. His sons performed military duty on the frontier: Martin was in Captain Wells' company at St. Clair's defeat; Henry was in the battle of Tippecanoe; George was one of the volunteers that went to the relief of Fort Harrison when Major Zachary Taylor (afterwards President Taylor), was besieged by the Indians. John C. Huckleberry was a son of George Huckleberry, Jr., born in 1810. He was a member of the Legislature several terms; was proprietor and editor of the Southern Indianan; postmaster from 1838 to 1841; was sheriff of Clark County from 1845 to 1847; removed to Missouri in 1867, and thence to Reno County, Kansas and died August 1879. George Huckleberry left five children, two boys and three girls. William P. Huckleberry, his youngest son, was born in 1819, and is now acting as a claim agent and notary public.

HARDIN JONES
History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa: Containing a history ... etc by Keatley, John H., O.L. Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1883

Hardin Jones, farmer, P. O. Loveland, was born in 1810, in Kentucky, on the Green River, Casey County; then moved with his father to Orange County, Ind., in 1817, and then to Putnam County, Ind., the fall of 1826, and remained there till the fall of 1855, when he came here. All of his family came at the same time, except one daughter, who came before. His only son now living, has been living by him ever since, their farms adjoining each other. He first bought 280 acres of Calvin Beebe, paying $2,650, and since that, he has added to his farm. He and son together have since had over 1,000 acres. Our subject now has 435 acres. Their farming is stock and grain. Mr. Jones served as County Judge one year, Auditor one year, Justice of the Peace for about twenty-one years. He was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace six days after he was eligible, and has been in county and township offices of some kind ever since till within a year.

In moving here, they came in wagons, starting September 11 and arriving October 22, 1855. They camped out whenever night overtook them, and followed what was called the old Mormon trace. He is Democratic in politics. His first vote was for Gen. Jackson. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He was first married, October 18, 1832, to Asenath DuWeese. She died February 12, 1860. He was afterward married to Mrs. Mary Skelton, October 18, 1860. She died in*March, 1881. He was again married to Mrs. Brunetta Moss. He had five children by his first wife; both his other wives had five children each when he married them, and he had no children by either of them.

 

W. A. MC NAUGHTON
History of Johnson County, Indiana by David Demaree

The subject of this sketch, is one of the leading young citizens and business men of Franklin, Johnson Co., Indiana and proprietor of the largest dry goods and carpet establishment in the city and county. He was born at Leavenworth, Crawford Co., Indiana on November 4, 1849. He is the son of Rev. S. W. and Sarah (Forbes) McNaughton. The father was born in Indiana, in 1826, and is a minister of the Methodist Church and has been a member of the Indiana Methodist Episcopal Conference for about thirty-five years, during which time he has occupied pulpits at many points in the southwestern portion of the state. He is now stationed in Vanderburg County. The mother was born in Pennsylvania, and died in 1868. To this union eight children have been born, two of whom are dead. The father has since married.

Our subject was reared from his thirteenth year in Edinburg, Johnson Co., Indiana, and secured a limited education in the public schools. He began life as a cash boy in the store of Harvey Lewis, at Edinburg, and thence was promoted to a clerkship, and later was cashier and bookkeeper in the bank of Mr. Lewis, remaining with that gentleman until his retirement from business in about 1872. He next took an interest in the dry goods store of John Walsh, and in 1880 the firm removed to Franklin. Upon the retirement of Mr. Walsh, from the business, in 1883, our subject assumed full proprietorship of the business, and continues the same at present.

He is a member of the K. of P. Order, uniform rank, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married December 27, 1870, to Annie C., daughter of John Walsh, who was born in Edinburg. To this union five children have been born, all of whom are living. Mrs. McNaughton is a member of the Catholic Church.

 
MAJOR ALEXANDER F. MORRISON
Early Reminiscences of Indianapolis by John H.B. Nowland
Generously contributed by David F. James

The brother of Judge and William H. Morrison, was born in New York city, but with his brothers came to Charlestown, Indiana, in the year 1818. He there learned the printing business. In the Legislature that convened on the first Monday of December, 1830, he represented Clark County, and while here made arrangements to commence in the spring publication of a weekly paper, to be called the "Indiana Democrat." In accordance with this arrangment, Mr. Morrison, with his family, removed to this place early in the spring of 1831

The "Democrat" was started in the interest of and supported General Jackson for re-election to the Presidency. Mr. Morrison was a ready political writer, and made the "Democrat" a spicy paper. Its editorials would compare favorably with those of the city papers of the present day. He was very bitter toward his opponents, and his articles sometimes read as though he had dipped his pen in gall.

He engaged from time to time in various kinds of business here during his life. He was one of the "bloody three hundred" that in 1832 went out to meet Black Hawk, but all returned without any other than their own scalps.

During the Mexican war he was a quartermaster in the army, and it was while there his already feeble constituion was greatly impaired. I do not think he ever experienced a well day after his return. His eyes, that were naturally weak, were almost entirely destroyed.

Mr. Morrison was a very kind, generous-hearted man to his friends, but very bitter to his enemies, or those he had reason to believe were such. In his social relations and intercourse with his neighbors, he was deservedly popular, and a very hospitable man. As a husband and father, he was devoted and indulgent, anticipating every want of his family.

Mr. Morrison leaves two sons, Will. Alex and Charles, and also two daughters, Mrs. Allison and Mrs. Murphy, who, together with their mother, yet reside in the city.

Major Morrison died in December, 1857, at the age of fifty-four, regretted by many old friends and acquaintance.

"Unfading hope, when life's last embers burn,
When soul to soul, and dust to dust return."

 
JUDGE JAMES MORRISON
Early Reminiscences of Indianapolis by John H.B. Nowland
Contributed by David F. James

It is when I attempt to write a fitting tribute to the memory of such a man as Judge Morrison, that I feel the magnitude of the task I have undertaken, and my incompetency to hand down to posterity and future generations, that they may have a proper appreciation of his great legal ability, and his many moral and social virtues.

My acquaintance with Judge Morrison began when I was a boy, and before he had reached the noonday of life. Forty years ago I was often his fishing companion upon the banks of the White River and Fall Creek, he angling for the fine black bass with which those streams abounded at that time, and I for the tiny minnow he used as bait.

He was a great smoker, and carried a tinder-box for the purpose of lighting cigars (this was before such a thing as locofoco matches were thought of). I have often been attracted to his place of concealment on the banks of these streams by the clatter of his tinder-box, or the curling smoke of his fragrant Havana, rising above the bushes. This was when the vanities and sorry conceits of the world were strangers to me, and when my youthful spirit had known but little of the evils of this inconstant world. It was upon the bank of these streams that I learned much of the true dignity of character he possessed, and before either of us thought we would ever bear the relation of attorney and client to each other, which we did for years afterwards.

Although my hair is now silvered o'er, and my brows bear the mark of time, I have not outlived the memory of those happy days in the early history of this city; the days of so much enjoyment that I passed as a boy, and the reflection of whose pleasures linger with me yet.

In the "Indianapolis Journal" of the 22nd of March 1869, I find the following announcement of his demise:

"The early settlers of the State, and the founders of our city, are dropping off in such close succession that we are warned of the near approach of the time when we all shall have passed away, and the birth of Indianapolis have ceased to be a memory to any, and faded into history. Since the beginning of the year two have left us, and in the last decade they far outnumber the years. We cannot think without profound sorrow of the inevitable hours when all the names so long identified with our prosperity and honored as the links that still bind the present to the past, have ceased to speak a living presence, and to offer a living example of beauty, of goodness, and a well spent life.

"Among all that have left sad vacancies, no one has filled a more prominent place than the Hon. James Morrison; though for some years his failing strength and feeble health have secluded him from the active life, his presence has been felt, his existence has been an influence, and his death is not so much the end of a flickering light as the extinguishment of a gleam that leaves darkness in its place.

"He died on Saturday evening, the 20th instant, of pneumonia, after an illness of several days."

From the "Indianapolis Sentinel," of the same date I copy as follows: "Judge Morrison was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, the birth place of Robert Burns, in the year 1796. His parents came to this country when he was quite young, and settled at Bath, in Western New York. He studied his profession with William B. Rochester, a distinguished jurist of that State, and when admitted to the bar he emigrated to Indiana, and located in Charlestown, Clark County, where he practiced law for many years with the late Judge Dewey, who was one of the truly great men of the nation.

"He remained in Charlestown about ten years, and a gentleman who knew him during his residence there, says his devotion to his family (he was the oldest son) was remarkable, and that he was their main reliance.

"In the winter of 1828-29, he was elected Secretary of the State by the Legislature, and removed to this city, then a town of 1,100 inhabitants, January 1st, 1829. Subsequently he filled the offices of Judge of this Judicial Circuit Court, President of the State Bank for ten years, succeeding Samuel Merrill, Esq., Attorney General, the first to fill that office, and other trusts of less importance. So had of an appreciation had the members of the bar for his qualifications for the judgeship, that they presented him with five hundred dollars to induce him to take it."

"Of the Clark County bar, he leaves but two survivors, we believe, Judge Thompson, now in the city, and Judge Naylor, of Crawfordsville.

"Of the Indianapolis bar of 1829, the year he became connected with it, he was, as we recollect, the last, not one now left. Harvey Gregg, William Quarels, Hiram Brown, Henry P. Coburn, B.F. Morris, Andrew Ingram, Samuel Merrill, Calvin Fletcher and William W. Wick, who were his associates then, all passed away before he was called to his final rest.

"As we call the familiar names of those so prominent in the early history of the bar of Indianapolis, the convulsive throbs of many hearts will attest their worth and appreciation with which their memories are still cherished. Yet the sadness with which we recur to the ties of early associations, and the early friendship of the past thus severed, will place to the cheering thought that those endearing ties will be renewed, refined and strengthened in the new life upon which they have already entered.

"Judge Morrison was also identified with the history of this church of this city; he was one of the first class which was confirmed here about thirty years ago, and the rite was administered by the now venerable Bishop Kemper, of Wisconsin, who was then Missionary Bishop of the Northwest. For twenty-five years he was Senior Warden of Christ Church, in this city, and since the organization of St. Paul's Church he has filled the same office in that parish. He was educated a Presbyterian, but became a Churchman after thorough investigation, and remained so with steadfastness through life.

"Judge Morrison was a man of decided convictions, strong prejudices, with fixed habits which only physical inability could change or overcome. He had opinion upon all subjects and questions to which his attention was directed, and, as would be expected from his peculiar mental organization, they were always positive even to ultraism. He was thoroughly a lawyer. His eminent talents and active mind were peculiarly adapted to the profession in which he attained such high reputation, only yielding active participation in it when compelled to surrender to the great enemy of man. He was learned and profound, and had thoroughly mastered the science of law.

"As a husband and father, Judge Morrison was affectionate, devoted and indulgent, and he leaves a wife, sons and daughter, who will, through life, cherish the memory of his many virtues and unfailing affection and kindness."

I cannot add more than I have said in the beginning of this sketch, and what is said in these extracts of the "Journal" and the "Sentinel," announcing his death.

"Friend after friend departs,
Who hath not lost a friend?
There is no union here of hearts,
That finds not here an end."

 
JAMES HARVEY OVERMAN
History of Richardson County Nebraska by Lewis C. Edwards, B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc. , Indianapolis, 1917.

James Harvey Overman, well-known veteran hotel-keeper at Stella, this county, former postmaster of that village, formerly and for years engaged in the mercantile business there and since pioneer days one of the leading factors in the development of the town, is a native of the old Hoosier state, a fact of which he never has ceased to be proud, but has been a resident of this section of the country since the days of his early infancy, having come out to the neighboring state of Iowa with his parents in the, spring of 1852, he then being but an infant in arms, and one year later, in 1853, came to Missouri.

He was born in Clark county, Indiana, not far across the river from the city of Louisville, January 10, 1852, son of James L. and Mary (Dailey) Overman, both of whom were born in that same county, members of pioneer families in southern Indiana, and who later became pioneers of this region, their last days being spent at Stella.

The Overmans are of Dutch stock and the family has been represented in this country since Colonial days. James L. Overman’s father, whose wife was an Amick, became early settlers in Clark county, Indiana, where James L. Overman was born on February 15, 1824. His father died about six years later and he early began working on his own account, learning the cooper’s trade. On December 29, 1845, he married Mary Dailey, who also was born in Clark county, Indiana. May 16, 1819, member of a pioneer family in that section of the Hoosier state, and there made his home until 1852, when he came West and settled in Iowa, one year later settling in Missouri. In 1858 he moved over to St. Deroin, on the river, just at the southeast corner of Nemaha county, where he began operating a ferry, at the same time setting up a small cooperage establishment, and was living there when the Civil War broke out. Previous to the formal declaration of war, however, in March, 1861, he had enlisted as a member of the local company of Home Guards, for service against the “bushwhackers,” and was later transferred to Company D, Fifth Missouri Cavalry, with which command he served for sixteen months, that command doing effective service against the guerillas that caused so much trouble in Missouri and throughout this section. Later James L. Overman was engaged in the cooperage business at St. Joseph and at Amazonia, where he established a cooperage shop, but after awhile returned to St. Deroin and there remained until 1884, when he moved to Stella, this county, where he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring there on December 28, 1894. His widow survived him nearly fifteen years, her death occurring at Stella on February 4, 1909.

They were the parents of four children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the last-born, the others being Kate, widow of Peter Fraker, of Stella; Andrew M., who enlisted for service in the Union army during the Civil War and whose fate thereafter was unknown to his family, and Arabella, of Stella, widow of J. M. McCollough.

As noted above, James H. Overman was but an infant when his parents came West and he was about six years of age when the family, on March 6, 1858, settled at St. Deroin, this state; the state at that time, however, being under a territorial form of government. He consequently has been a witness to and a participant in the development of this region since pioneer days and one of the recollections of his childhood is of the burial at St. Deroin of the old Indian chief, Joseph Deroin. He received his schooling in the primitive schools of his boyhood days and when seventeen years of age began clerking in his brother-in-law’s store at St. Deroin. In July, 1871, Mr. Overman began clerking in a store at Severance, Kansas, and was there engaged in business until 1874. He then returned to St. Deroin and clerked in the store of A. J. Ritter until March, 1879. In 1877 he was appointed postmaster at St. Deroin under President Hayes, serving until 1879, having previously served as deputy postmaster. In 1879 he moved to Corning, Missouri, and was there engaged in business for about three years, at the end of which time he came to Stella. Soon after the townsite was laid out at Stella, this county, in February, 1882, he opened a store at that place, in June, 1882, and has ever since resided there, with the exception of ten months spent conducting a hotel at Humboldt. Mr. Overman was appointed postmaster of Stella on January, 1898, by President McKinley, and on April 27, 1904, was reappointed postmaster by President Roosevelt, and was reappointed by President Taft, serving until October 1, 1916. His life has been practically devoted to merchandising and hotel-keeping and he now has a well-appointed and modern hotel of twenty-three rooms at Stella, one of the best-known and most popular hostelries in this county. Mr. Overman’s hotel at the corner of Main and Third streets is of brick, three stories in height and is equipped in accordance with modern demands for the greatest degree of comfort on the part of the traveling public. Mr. Overman is a stanch Republican and has for years been looked upon as one of the leaders of that party in Richardson county.

On March 24, 1878, James H. Overman was united in marriage to Lucinda Marie Thomas, who was born in Putnam county, Missouri, daughter of Elijah P. and Samantha Ann (Hillis) Thomas, natives of Kentucky and Indiana, respectively, who became pioneers in Missouri. Elijah P. Thomas was born at Maysville, Kentucky, February 11, 1827, son of John and Margaret (Harmon) Thomas, the former of whom was born in Kentucky about 1795 and the latter in Champaign county, Ohio, not far from Urbana. John Thomas was the son of Solomon Thomas, a Virginian by birth and a soldier of the patriot army during the Revolutionary War, his father, Solomon Thomas, Sr., having been a Welshman who came to this country in Colonial days and settled in Virginia. John Thomas was a farmer and miller and served as a soldier during the War of 1812. He moved from Kentucky to Missouri and died in Scotland county, that state, at the age of eighty years. His wife died in Putnam county, that state, she also reaching a ripe old age. Elijah P. Thomas was married at Knoxville, Iowa, September 15, 1853, to Samantha Ann Hillis, who was born in Indiana on March 18, 1833, daughter of Dr. J. D. B. and Lucinda (Stearett) Hillis. Dr. J. D. B. Hillis was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, January 10, 1810, and his wife was born in the vicinity of Urbana, Ohio, in 1813 Doctor Hillis served in the Civil War as surgeon in a Wisconsin regiment, and served as state senator in Iowa - a capable man.

Mr. and Mrs. Overman are members of the Church of Christ (Scientist) and take an earnest interest in the affairs of the same. They have no children of their own, but reared to womanhood a niece of Mrs. Overman, Mary Palmer, who was educated in the schools of Stella and who on September 22, 1895, married George W. Harris, who is now engaged in sheep raising at North Yakima, Washington. Mr. Overman is a member of the local lodge of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and in the affairs of that organization takes a warm interest.

 

A. J. REED
History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

Born in Washington Co., Pennsylvania on January 5, 1815 he remained there until July 6, 1828 when he came to Louisville, Kentucky where he lived only a short time before going to Washington D.C. to live with his grandfather who was then a member of Congress.

He lived with him in Washington until 1832 and returned to Louisville in November of 1832. In August of 1834 he became a citizen of Clark County, Indiana, but spent 1848, the year of cholera, in Cincinatti, and from there to Nashville until September 1851 where he found the cholera there very bad and returned to Clark County.

In 1858 he purchased a farm in Monroe Township of 360 acres where he married Miss Ann Dunberry who was born in Washington Co., Pennsylvania on january 8, 1823. They have five children.

HON. DILLARD RICKETTS
Early Reminiscences of Indianapolis by John H. B. Nowland
Contributed by David F. James

Has been a citizen of Indianapolis since 1867, although he has been well known to our prominent citizens for many years. He is a native of Kentucky, born in Clarke county, but lived some time in Henry county previous to his coming to Madison, his first residence in Indiana.

He was for several years a successful merchant of Edinburg, and while residing there represented Johnson county in the State Senate. He was for several years extensively engaged in the purchase and packing of pork at Jeffersonville, and did a larger business in that way than any other person in the State at that time.

Several years since he was selected president of the Jeffersonville & Indianapolis Railroad Company, and at a time its stock was scarcely worth ten cents on the dollar. During his presidency it gradually advanced in value until it is now at a large premium, although the company had purchased the Madison & Indianapolis railroad and built lateral branches of their own road - one from Columbus to Cambridge City, another from Jeffersonville to New Albany.

Mr. Ricketts and Samuel H. Patterson, of Jeffersonville, as the representatives of the railroad, were active in procuring the building of the railroad bridge across the Ohio river at the southern terminus of their road, and to them Indiana and the country is mostly indebted for uniting New York with New Orleans by one continuous and unbroken chain of railroad communication through our State.

Mr. Ricketts has ever been an energetic man, contributing largely to the great prosperity of the State. He possesses a frank and manly bearing and a dignified kindness calculated to win upon those that he is thrown in contact with.

His estimable lady is the daughter of the Hon. David W. Daily of Clarke county, who for many years represented that county in the State Senate. We remember him as one of the firm friends of the administration of General Jackson during his Presidency. Mrs. Ricketts has two brothers well-known to our citizens: The first, Harry Daily, son-in-law of the late Judge Morrison. The second brother, Thomas Daily, married a Miss Walsh of Edinburg, Indiana.

 
DAVID W. RUNYAN
History of New Mexico, its Resources and People, Vol. 2 by George B. Anderson, Pacific States Pub. Co., 1907
Contributed by P. Davidson-Peters (2011)

David W Runyan, of Artesia, was born in Indiana left home when thirteen years of age and went to Texas with Buffalo hunters, undergoing the usual experiences of such a life on the plains. He came to the Territory from Mason county, Texas, in the fall of 1885 with the firm of Shriner & Light, owners of large cattle interests. He drove cattle to New Mexico and continued with the company for several years. This was the first firm to locate on the Penasco, the date being the fall of 1886, at which time they filed the first land on this stream, where the town of Hope now stands. Prior to this period the Penasco did not flow through to the Pecos river, but since that year, 1886, because of the cattle tramping down the bed of the stream, the Penasco has flowed on until it has reached the larger body of water.

About 1890 Mr. Runyan engaged in the cattle business on his own account on the Penasco near Hope and has been thus engaged to the present time, covering a period of sixteen years. He located three and a half miles below the present town site of Artesia in 1895 and had cattle all over the country. He now makes his headquarters at Hope, twenty miles southwest of Artesia, and his old ranch, which cost him eighteen hundred dollars and which was located three and a half miles south of his present location, he sold for ten thousand dollars. He has today two hundred and eighty acres of land adjoining the town of Hope, which he owns in connection with J. C. Gage and which constitutes a splendidly improved farm.

He is a very popular and prosperous stock man, thoroughly familiar with the development of his section of the Territory, and his business activity and energy have been resultant factors in making him one of the prosperous citizens of this locality.

 

JOHN WALSH (Deceased)
History of Johnson County, Indiana by David Demaree

Among the men identified with the material interests of Edinburg in the past, few, if any, occupied a more conspicuous place than the gentleman whose brief biography is herewith presented. John Walsh was a native of Ireland, born in County Galway, on the 9th day of August, 1816, the son of John and Margaret (Flannary) Walsh. He was reared amid the active scenes of farm life, and remained in his native country until sixteen years of age, at which time he came to America and located in the city of Quebec, Canada. After spending several years in that place he went to New Orleans, thence a little later to Madison, Indiana, where, as in the former cities, his employment was that of clerk and bookkeeper.

November 16, 1845, he married Miss May Dalgleish, who was born in Scotland on the 28th of October, 1821. Mrs. Walsh's parents, John and Margaret (Wallace) Dalgleish, were each descended from old and prominent Scotch families, the Wallaces being among the families noted in the history of that country. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Walsh and wife emigrated to Indiana, and settled in Johnson County, where for a period of thirty-four years he was prominently identified with the mercantile interests of Edinburg. Having by successful management succeeded in accumulating a comfortable competence, Mr. Walsh transferred his business to his sons and son-in-law, in 1886, from which time until his death he lived a retired life. In addition to his mercantile business, Mr. Walsh was, for a number of years, extensively engaged in agricultural pursuits, which added largely to his pecuniary gains. He became the owner of valuable real estate in different counties, which, with his other property, represented the fruits of his own industry.

Mr. Walsh was public-spirited man in all the term implies, fully alive to the interests of the town and county, and all movements having for their object the general good, found in him an earnest supporter and liberal patron. A Democrat in politics, he never aspired to official distinction, and a Roman Catholic in religion, he encouraged the dissemination of religious truth, irrespective of church or creed. He was a kind husband and a devoted father, and exemplary citizen, and in his death the community realized the loss of a friend and benefactor. Mrs. Walsh still survives, living at this time in Edinburg. Mr. and Mrs. Walsh were the parents of seven children, four of whom are living, namely: Maggie, wife of T. H. Daily; Annie C., wife of W. A. Mc Naughton; Mary E., wife of W. M. Howell, and Francis V. Walsh.

 

WILLIAM WORK
EXCERPTS OF History of the Ohio Fall Counties and its Cities by L.A. Williams

William Work was of Scottish descent. His ancestors left Scotland on account of religious persecution in 1690 and went to Holland. In 1792 they emigrated to Pennsylvania. His father, Samuel, was born in Washington county, PA on 10 October 1787. When about age 15, Samuel's father Henry emigrated to Beargrass Creek, Jefferson county, Kentucky and died there the first season. The family removed from there two years later to Work's Landing in Clark county, Indiana where Samuel had bought land.

Captain Samuel Work had married Elizabeth Henley, the daughter of Jesse who was born on July 3rd 1796 and came to Clark county from North Carolina. Elizabeth was a sister of Colonel Jeff Henley, who was elected to the Legislature when just past the age of twenty-one. He was the first native Hoosier elected to congress and later the first Postmaster of California. Captain Samuel Work died on 28 December 1871, and his wife Elizabeth died on July 5th 1850.

William H. Work moved to the farm he bought from Thomas J. Henley in 1853 and married Mary Fouts who was the daughter of Jacob. William and Mary's children were Frank, Lizzie (who married W.H. McIlvaine, a native of Henry Co., KY), and Dr. William T. Work. William and Mary were members of the Christian Church.

John Work settled in Charlestown on the farm now owned by Green's heirs (Dodd's Farm) in 1804. He began building mills in 1806 and at one time had three flouring mills four saw mills, a powder mill, and a stillery all in successful operation. The turmoil was tunnel was three years in excavation and was the work of four men. The cost was $3,333.33 according to John Work's own statement. The tunnel mill was built from 1814-1817, the same time required to complete the tunnel.

Believe John is the one who embarked with his brother Henry from their home in Red Stone, PA, thirty miles above Pittsburgh for the settlements at the falls of the Ohio. They were iron workers in PA, but early in the spring of 1804 when they were planning on moving to Indiana, Henry fell ill of fever and died. John then took his family, Henry's widow and her children to Indiana were John was a surveyor, mining engineer and mill wright. After his death, his son operated the mill until 1854.

Henry Work and his brother John came from Lancaster, PA to Franklin County while it was still undivided from Cumberland county - to that part of Peters Twp which later became Montgomery Twp. He and John were on the original tax list for Cumberland 1772 and were listed as free men. Henry served under Captain Wm Huston 1780-81 and was elected Sheriff of Franklin County, PA, and served in that position until 1793. His will was filed in Chambersburg. He had received 1417 acres of land in KY from two land grants one in 1786, the other in 1798, which he bequeathed to his son Samuel. Henry's wife Sarah was the daughter of Edward Crawford and Sarah Sterrett. She was born on 29 July 1752 in Fayetteville, PA and died 10 Sep 1833. Henry was buried in Old White Graveyard in Mercersburg, PA. Their children were born in Franklin County, PA.

 
 
Home

| Site Map | Search |

Updated 25 Jun 2014
Web Pages Designed & Maintained by P. Davidson-Peters 1999 All Rights Reserved.
What's New | Biographies | Civil War | U.S. Census | Family Letters | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Photos | Email P. Davidson-Peters | PDP's Blog (Outside Link)