"Harrison" Harry Daily was
born in Charlestown, Clark Co., Indiana in 1819
and was the eldest child of David Wise Daily and
his wife, Mary A. (Shirley). He was a 1st
lieutenant, Adjutant, of Company I of the 3rd
regiment and was mustered in on 22 June 1846 at
New Albany, Indiana, by Colonel Samuel Churchill.
Transferred to staff, Harrison was mustered out
24 June 1847, at New Orleans, Louisiana.
Daily was father of Harrison Daily. He
was born David Wise Daily in Charlestown, Indiana
on 16 August 1798 and was the son of Philip Daily
and Mary (Wise).
Thomas W. Gibson of Clark County was
mustered in Indiana 3rd regiment on 22 Jun 1846,
at New Albany, Indiana, by Colonel Samuel
Churchill. Mustered out 27 Jun 1847, at New
Orleans, Louisiana, by Colonel Samuel Churchill.
R. Curtis was born near Champlain,
Clinton Co., New York on 03 Feb 1805. He moved to
Ohio, where he attended the public schools and
was appointed a cadet in the U.S. Military
Academy at West Point in 1827. He graduated in
July 1831 as brevet second lieutenant in the
Seventh Infantry and served in the war with
Mexico as adjutant general of Ohio and colonel of
the Third Regiment, Ohio Infantry. He was
honorably discharged June 24, 1847 and later
represented Iowa in Congress from 1857-1861. He
was a member of the 1861 Peace Convention held in
Washington, D.C. in an effort to devise means to
prevent the impending war. In the Civil War he
was Major General of Volunteers and in 1865, and
was appointed United States peace commissioner to
treat with the Indians. He died in Council
Bluffs, Iowa, on December 25, 1866 and is
interred in Oakland Cemetery, Keokuk, Iowa.
Lt. Daniel L. Fouts of Clark County was
mustered in 22 Jun 1846, at New Albany, Indiana,
by Colonel Samuel Churchill, mustered out 27 Jun
1847, at New Orleans, Louisiana, by Colonel
Newman S. Clarke was born in Connecticut
and was appointed from Vermont an ensign in the
11th infantry on 12 March, 1812, became a
lieutenant in March following, first lieutenant,
15 August, 1813, served as adjutant in 1813, and
as brigade-major to General Ripley in 1814.
Breveted captain for gallantry in the battle of
Niagara on 25 Jul 1814, he was promoted to a
captain in 1814, became a major in 1834,
lieutenant colonel in 1838, and colonel in 1846.
He commanded a brigade in Mexico in 1847, and
received the brevet of brigadier-general on 29
Mar 1847 for gallant conduct at the siege of Vera
Cruz. He died in San Francisco, California on 17
James Henry Lane was born at
Lawrenceburg, Indiana, on 22 June 1814. He was
the son of Amos Lane, a political leader and
member of the Indiana House of Representatives.
Receiving a common school education, James later
studied law and in 1840 was admitted to the bar.
During the Mexican War he served as a colonel
under General Taylor, and then commanded the
Fifth Indiana regiment which he had raised.
is correct spelling of Harry's Reinosa, is a
Mexican city situated on the Rio Grande southeast
of Camargo, and northwest of Matamoros. It was an
area where the Indiana volunteers were active
during the Mexican War. It is now the largest
Mexican city in the Rio Grande Valley region with
an estimated population of just over one-half
is a city and port in northeastern Mexico on the
Río Grande, near its mouth on the Gulf of Mexico
and is situated opposite of Brownsville, Texas.
It was the scene of bitter fighting in the
Mexican War and was occupied by U.S. troops under
Zachary Taylor in 1846. It is now one of Mexico's
chief ports of entry for tourists and for the
import and export of goods.
Paredes was built by the Mexicans to
defend the Anacuita Crossing of the Rio Grande.
was founded in 1749 and was the first
settlement on the lower Rio Grande. Located west
of Reynosa, east of Cerralvo, and southeast of
Mier. Most of its settlers came from Cerralvo,
Cadereyta, Monterrey and those surrounding
townships. On 14 July 1846, the U.S. forces
occupied Camargo and Taylor established it as
another depot. Situated three hundred miles up
the shallow Rio Grande, it could be supplied only
is a Mexican city located on the Pánuco River, a
few miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. It was
occupied by a U.S. force during the Mexican War
and by French troops in 1862, during the French
intervention. With the discovery of oil around
1900 by English and American geologists, it
became Mexico's most important seaport, and
although it is used primarily for Mexico's
petroleum industry, it possesses excellent modern
facilities and serves as an export center for
other goods, including cattle, hides, sugar, and
additional agricultural products.