In 1715, James of Lexington, purchased 300 acres of land in Killingly, Connecticut, from Samuel Converse of Woburn. Sometime between 1714 and 1715, James and Margaet moved from Cambridge Farms (Lexington), to Killingly, Connecticut. Also, during this period, James purchased land in Leicester, Worchester County, because in 1626 he signed over land there to his son James Jr.
From records of the Old Church on Putman Heights, First Parish Church of Killingly, Connecticut, Rev. John Fisk recorded that James and Margaret were admitted as members on 27 Dec 1715. Other members of this parish were Samuel, Edward and Thomas Converse, relations of James first wife Deborah. In May 1728, by act of a General Assembly, an area was set aside as the Second Parish Church of Killingly, also known as the North Society, and in May 1785 it become the Town of Thompson. Constituent members of this parish were Marston Cabot, pastor elect, James Wilson, Samuel, Edward and Thomas Converse. On 15 Oct 1738, James, his second wife Margaret, and their daughter Hannah, moved their church membership from the First Parish Church of Killingly, located in Putnam, to the new Second Parish Church which was closer to their home. In 1785, the Second Parish of Killingly was established as the town of Thompson. Records for many generations of the Wilson family are found in the Churches of Putman and Thompson, Connecticut [Note: Wilsonville, or Child Mills, Thompson Township, was named after an unrelated Wilson family].
It is recorded that James was one of the original thirty-seven grantors or settlers of Leicester, Worcester County, Massachusetts. Whether he ever actually lived there is unknown. However, in Jan 1724 the State conveyed the land to the original settlers. How much land was conveyed to James is also unknown. However, the following year he conveyed one hundred fortyseven acres to his son James Jr., believed to be Lot 10 and Lot 2 [see Map of Leicester, East Precinct (settlers part), 1714-1717]. A deed of conveyance was recorded in Killingly.
James married first, Deborah PIERCE * on 19 Jan 1686/87 in Woburn, Middlesex Co.,MA. (52) He married second, Margaret Russ on 17 Apr 1704, daughter of John Russ and Deborah Osgood, and widow of William Peters who was killed in 1696 by Indians leaving her with a ten months old son. She was born 10 Apr 1673, in Andover, Essex Co., MA, and died after 1738. She was employed by James as a housekeeper, and soon after her husbands death, they were married.(37) They had 6 children, all born at Cambridge Farms (Lexington), Middlesex Co., MA. (52) She died on 14 Dec 1703 in Lexington, Middlesex Co., MA. It is assumed she died from the effects of childbirth as she died 5 days after giving birth to her 8th child (stillborn). She was mentioned in her fathers will when he left a legacy to the children of his deceased daughter, Deborah Wilson.
Children of James and Deborah Wilson were:
i. Infant WILSON(52)was born on 4 Jul 1688 in Woburn, Middlesex Co., MA. She died on 4 Jul 1688 in Woburn, Middlesex Co., MA.
ii. Deborah WILSON(37)was born on 27 Feb 1689/90 in Woburn, Middlesex Co., MA. She was baptized in Aug 1699 in Cambridge Farms (Lexington), Middlesex, MA. Children of Deborah and Hezekiah Russ were: Deborah, 1710; Margaret, 1714; Abigail, 1718; John, 1720; Hezekiah, 1723; Jonathan, 1726, and Meriam, 1732.
First four children by John and Dorothy were recorded in Killingly, the others in Coventry: John, bapt 18 Apr 1728, d. Coventry, 10 Sep 1740; William, b. Killingly, 8 Jun 1729, d. Coventry, 1819, m. Cov, 26 Jul 1749, Sarah Rust, dau of Samuel and Srah (Hockings) Rust, Sarah and Samuel had 9 children recorded in Cov.; Francis, b. Lillingly, 11 Jun 1732, d. Cov. 15 Jan 1767, m. Cov. 10 Feb 1757, Abigail Fellows, dau. of Isaac and Abigail (Hutchins) Fellows; Dorothy, b. Killingly, 24 Apr 1735, d. Cov 2 Jun 1739/40; Abigail, b.Cov. 10 Aug 1738, d. Tyringham, MA, 27 Jan 1789, m. Ezekiel Herrick, son of Ezekiel and Mary (Rust) Herrick; and Joseph, b. Cov. 31 Mar 1745, who lived in Tolland, CT, and Tyringham, MA.