Mrs. Sarah Brown Washburn, 75, wife of Sylvester Washburn, of the town of Macomb, died at 7:45p.m. Thursday in VanDuzee hospital after a short illness. She had been brought to the hospital in the Severance ambulance earlier in the day.
Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon from the Pierces Corners First Methodist Episcopal Church, with the Rev. P. D. Mang of Pierces Corners officiating. Burial was in Pierces Corners Cemetery.
On April 26, 1887 she married Sylvester Washburn in a ceremony performed at Lisbon, and the couple took up residence in the town of Macomb. They celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in April of last year.
Mrs. Washburn had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Pierces Corners for the past 50 years.
Surviving besides the husband are five sons, James Washburn, San Diego, Calif; Judson Washburn, Cleveland Ohio; Clark Washburn, Black River; Alvin Washburn, Macomb; and two daughter, Mrs. Ada Mullen o Rossie, and Mrs. Edna Young of Ogdensburg.
· Mrs. Emma Cassaw left Saturday evening for Yonkers to spend some time with Miss Mabel Haven.
· Monday evening a surprise party was given Mrs. Charles Sayer of the Cousintown road in honor of her birthday. The event was arranged by her son Everett and Mrs. John Bogardus, a near neighbor and was attended by 27 besides the members of the family. A very pleasant evening was enjoyed by all.
· The Friendship class will meet with Mrs. Edward J. W. Burston at the parsonage Tuesday afternoon, April 12. The hostesses are Ethel Willard, Emeline Reynolds, and Ruth Jones.
· Mrs. S. D. Morrow and Mrs. Llewellyn Bristol attended a Home Bureau Leader’s meeting held in Ogdensburg Wednesday. Lesson was given on Weight Control, how to Decrease Weight, Keep Normal Weight and Increase Weight. Part of the group set up the calorie exhibit on some common foods, the others prepared the luncheon and served.
· The ladies from here who attended the Program Planning Conference of Home Bureau held in the Baptist Church in Gouverneur on Firday evening were Mrs. Carlton Spooner, Mrs. Grover Gardner, Mrs. Arthur Petrie, Mrs. Llewellyn Bristol, Mrs. Frank Rich, Miss Irene Mellen.
· Mr. and Mrs. Elwin Bigelow, Jr. are the parents of a son, Elliot Carl, weighing over seven pounds, born March 30 in the vanDuzee hospital at Gouverneur.
· Mrs. Leslie McClure is in Potsdam for a week assisting Mrs. Arthur Phillips who has just returned from hospital.
· Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Smith of Marcey are guests of their numerous relatives in this place for a few days.
· Mrs. Horace E. Gardner is entertaining her sister, Mrs. Mary Hamilton of Ogdensburg.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids