From Child's Gazetteer of St. Lawrence County
The population of the town in 1870 was 3,819, of whom 3.312 were native, 507 foreign and all, white.
the year ending
The Ogdensburg & Lake Champlain R.R. traverses the north part of the town.
EAST STOCKHOLM, (Stockholm p.o.) located in the east part, three miles south-west of Stockholm Depot, contains one church, (Cong.) a school-house, store, blacksmith and wagon shop, cooper shop and sixty-six inhabitants.
WEST STOCKHOLM, (p.o., formerly known as Bicknellville) situated on the St. Regis, in the west part, five and one-half miles from Potsdam, contains one church (M.E.) a school house, grist-mill, foundry and machine shop, woolen mill, pail and tub factory, starch factory, two saw mills, a shingle mill, two stores, two shoe, one tin, three blacksmith and two carriage shops, and 221 inhabitants. The St. Regis at this place affords a good water-power.
KNAPPS STATION, (North Stockholm, p.o.) situated on Plum Brook and the O. & L. C. R. R., in the west angle of the town, contains two stores, a steam saw mill,(2) a saw and shingle mill, a blacksmith shop and about eighteen dwellings.
SOUTHVILLE (p.o.) is a hamlet
situated on the south line, three and one-half miles south-east of
SKINNERVILLE is located on the St. Regis one and one-half miles west of Stockholm Depot, and contains a school-house, grist mill (owned by M.D. and G.C. Smith, containing three runs of stones and capable of grinding about 300 bushels per day), saw mill, two shingle mills, a blacksmith and wagon shop, starch factory, harness and shoe shop, a sole and upper leather tannery, and ninety-five inhabitants.
SANFORDVILLE is a hamlet on
BUCKS CORNERS is a hamlet two
miles south of
Stockholm Farmer’s Club was organized
for settlement were commenced under the agency of Ebenezer Hulburd and Dr.
Luman Pettibone, in 1800, in the summer of which year and the year following
several persons commenced clearings and other improvements preparatory to
moving their families into the town. They were from
“In September 1804”, says Dr. Hough, “occurred the greatest flood ever known in the country, produced by heavy rains and swelling the St. Regis river far above its ordinary flood level. Four of the seven families living near the bank of the river, were compelled to flee from their homes. One family living near Trout brook, remained within doors until the under floor was raised from the sleepers, and the wood was floated from the fire-place, and with the greatest peril and difficulty they escaped with their lives.”
and Warren Webster, brothers, from
first saw mill in town was built as Skinnerville in 1804, by Samuel Reynolds,
who owned several mile squares in the town. The first grist mill was that
built by Mr. Bicknell in
We extract from Hough’s History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties the following interesting chapter descriptive of the trials of the early settlers in this town:
“During the first summer, Mr. Pettibone had occasion to
resort to the mill at
“At the close of a day of toil and labor, they found themselves on the bank of the river, and succeeded in fording it, laying the grain bags on poles across the top of the wagon to keep it dry; but to their great disappointment, the cheerful log hut and comfortable fire which they had anticipated as waiting them, was not there, and to add to their misery a cold, drenching rain set in, and continued through the night. They had been already half drowned in crossing the river, and were compelled to crawl under the best shelter they could find, and spend the night in as wretched a condition as possible. On the next morning, Mr. Pettibone found himself shaking with an ague, contracted in consequence of exposure, and with the greatest difficulty able to get through to his destination.
“The journey to Foote’s mill, in
“The journey to
“During the war, numbers of the inhabitants became alarmed
and left the county, from fear of the Indians, and those that remained
proceeded to erect defenses for their protection. One of these was a
double line of pickets around the house of Dr. Pettibone, which enclosed a
square of about a quarter of an acre, and was finished with gate and fixtures
complete. Here the inhabitants assembled on a few occasions of alarm, but
no real danger ever presented itself. Another stockade was commenced
around the house of Warren Webster, about a mile east of the centre of the
town, which was finished on two or three sides only; and a third was commenced
around the dwelling of Jonathan Sager, in the west half. These pickets
were timbers set upright in a trench, about three feet deep, in a double row,
so that no openings existed between them. They were about sixteen feet
high, sharpened at the top, and supported by earth banked against them on each
side. On one occasion of a draft, the greatest fear was entertained from
an attack of the St. Regis, or some other Indian tribe, they knew not what, and
a volunteer company was raised, and a guard mounted and maintained for several
days on the road which led towards
“The miseries of war appear to be not limited to the actual amount of suffering which it directly entails, but include the privations and hardships sustained from apprehensions of danger, which often lead the timid to encounter a needless amount of suffering.
“The roads were at times thronged with groups of timid inhabitants, hastening away with such articles of furniture and provisions as they were able to snatch in their haste, and with such vehicles as they could command, and each augmented the fears of the others, by magnifying the rumors which they had received from those as timid as themselves. It is but just to say, that the class of fugitives did not form a majority of the existing population, and that there were many who ridiculed the fears of the timid, represented the absurdity of the alarms, and earnestly entreated them to behave like men, and stand ready to do their duty if real danger should arise, instead of stealing off in the cowardly manner of some. A portion of those who left the country never returned, and others came back to witness the waste and destruction, which their own folly and neglect had brought upon them.
first religious services were held in May, 1803, and the first sermon preached
in town was delivered by Elder Webster, a Baptist minister from
The First Congregational Church of Stockholm, at Stockholm, was organized with seven members, March 10, 1807, by Revs. Ebenezer Hebbard and Amos Pettengill, missionaries, the former from Vermont and the latter from Massachusetts. Pettengill had visited the town the previous year. During the summer the Society worshiped in barns and in winter in private houses. Their church edifice was not erected till 1829. It will seat about 500 persons. Rev. Hiram Johnson was the first pastor. He labored with this Society half his time. The first settled pastor was Rev. Moses Parmelee. The Society numbers 75 members and is under the pastoral care of Rev. U. T. Chamberlain. Their Church property is valued at about $4,000.(4)
The First Baptist Church of Stockholm, at Stockholm Center, was organized at an early day and re-organized Jan 7, 1839, by Rev. Joel H. Green, the first pastor after its reorganization. The Society has only eight or ten members and possesses but little vitality. It is without a pastor. The church will seat 175.(5)
The First Wesleyan Methodist Society of East Stockholm was organized with eight members, in the fall of 1843, by Rev. Orange Newton, and was incorporated Oct. 11, 1852. Their meeting house was erected in 1853, at a cost of $1,342.25. It will seat 200 persons. The first pastor was Rev. John Adams; the present one is Rev. Noah E. Jenkins. The Society has forty-nine members. Its property is valued at $1,500. About two years after the church was built Rev. Henry Moore, a minister of the M.E. church, held a series of meetings in it and succeeded in proselyting about half the members then belonging to this Church, and organizing a M.E. class. These dissenters continued to occupy the house for holding services until Aug 11, 1871, when the trustees of the W.M. Society resolved to prohibit its further use by them without special consent.(6)
The Second Wesleyan Methodist Church, at North Stockholm, was organized in 1843, by Rev. Hiram McKee. A meeting house was erected in 1867, at a cost of $1,500, one-half the present value of Church property. It is still used by them, and will seat 250 persons. The first pastor was Rev. John Adams; the present one is Rev. N.E. Jenkins. The present number of members is fifty-three.
The First M.E. Church in North Stockholm was organized with about fifty members, in February 1865, by Rev. Joseph Smedley, its first pastor. The church edifice, which will seat 200 persons, was built in 1867, at a cost of $2,800. The number of members remains the same as at its organization. The pastor is Rev. C. W. Brooks. The Church property is valued at $3,000.(7)
The M. E. Church at Bucks Corners was organized with eighty members, Jan 10, 1872, by Rev. A. F. Bigelow. A house of worship was erected the same year, at a cost of about $4,000, the present value of the Church property. It will seat 230 persons. Rev. R. E. King was the first and is the present pastor.(8)
(1) The town embraces township No. 2 or Stockholm, of the Ten Towns. The first town meeting was directed to be held at the house of Dr. Luman Pettibone, but as the day upon which it was to have been held passed without an election, Nathan Walker, of Canton, and Gurdon Smith and Benj. Raymond, of Potsdam, magistrates, in pursuance of an act passed March 7, 1801, appointed the following-named officers: Ebenezer Hulburd, Supervisor; Wm. Staples, Town Clerk; Stephen A. Tambling, Benj. Wright and Arba Woodward, Assessors; Samuel Webster, Constable and Collector; S. A. Tambling, E. Hulburd and W. Webster, Commissioners of Highways; S. A. Tambling and B. Wright, Fence Viewers; E. Hulburd, Pound Master; L. Pettibone, Overseer of Highways.
(2) This mill is owned by Moore R. Knapp, gives employment to 18 persons, and has facilities for sawing 8,000 feet of lumber and 20,000 shingles per day.
(3) Hough’s History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties
(4) Information furnished by Julius Hulburd
(5) Information furnished by W. W. Webster
(6) Information furnished by Ashley S. Riggs
(7) Information furnished by Benj. Tryon
(8) Information furnished by Stillman Austin
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids