Excerpt from “History of the North Country”
by Harry F. Landon; Published 1932
Transcribed for internet by Anne M. Cady
The following biography is extracted from the “History of the North Country – A History embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York” by Harry F. Landon. This massive history consists of three large volumes with hundreds of short biographies. As time permits, I will be transcribing the entries with ties to Saint Lawrence County and putting them online.
Leon G. Crary
One of the leading attorneys of St. Lawrence County is Leon G. Crary, who has engaged in practice at Canton for almost 30 years, and he has served as justice of the peace since 1921. He was born in this city, Jan 20, 1876, the son of Elias and Mary (Middleton) Crary.
Elias Crary was born at Potsdam and during his early life was a school teacher. He later engaged in farming and was successful as a dairyman. He died in 1895 and is buried at Potsdam. His wife, born at Lisbon, St. Lawrence County, died in 1911. Mr. Crary was a Republican and held membership in the Presbyterian Church. There were two son’s born to Mr. and Mrs. Crary: 1. Silas, lives at Canton. 2. Leon G., the subject of this sketch.
In 1895 Leon G. Crary was graduated from Canton High School. He received the degree of Bachelor of Arts at Cornell University in 1889, and during 1901-02 studied at the Albany Law School. During that time he also was a clerk in the State House at Albany. After his admission to the New York bar in June 1903, Mr. Crary located at Canton, where he was associated in practice with the late Major H. D. Ellsworth. Mr. Crary has offices at 67 Main Street. He is a member of the St. Lawrence County Bar Association.
In 1911 Mr. Crary married (first) Miss Leta Mayhew, who died in 1914. She was the daughter of Joseph and Ella Mayhew, who were natives of Mexico, Oswego County, NY. He married (second) Miss Marie A. Becker in 1917.
Mr. Crary is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Return to Home Page