Excerpt from “History of the North Country”
by Harry F. Landon; Published 1932
Transcribed for internet by Anne M. Cady
The following biography is extracted from the “History of the North Country – A History embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York” by Harry F. Landon. This massive history consists of three large volumes with hundreds of short biographies. As time permits, I will be transcribing the entries with ties to Saint Lawrence County and putting them online.
James Grover Crawford –
James Grover Crawford, who is vice president and treasurer of James V. Crawford, Inc., is one of Morristown’s most progressive business men, and is a veteran of the World War. He was born in this city, Sept. 27, 1888 the son of James V. and Agnes (Colburn) Crawford.
James V. Crawford, deceased, was the founder of the business which bears his name, and for many years was a leader in the business and civic life of Morristown. He was born at Edwardsville, NY, spent his boyhood on his father’s farm, and as a young man came to Morristown as a clerk in the general store of Albert Proctor. Later he became associated with William D. Seeley, as proprietors of a general mercantile establishment, and the firm of Crawford & Seeley continued for several years. Mr. Crawford then purchased his partner’s interest and the business was incorporated in 1913 with Mr. Crawford as president. He was serving in that capacity at the time of his death, Sept. 30, 1921. His wife was born at Morristown and died in 1900. Both are buried in this city. Mr. Crawford was also one of the founders of the Frontier National Bank of Morristown and became its first president. He also held that office until his death. During the presidency of Grover Cleveland Mr. Crawford served as postmaster and again was appointed to that office during the administration of Woodrow Wilson. He was a Democrat in politics and took an active interest in local affairs. He served as justice of the peace. Mr. Crawford was a trustee of the Presbyterian Church, was past master of Black Lake Lodge, F. and A.M., No. 319, and belonged to the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order of Foresters. The only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Crawford was James Grover, the subject of this sketch.
In 1909 James Grover Crawford was graduated from Morristown High School. He received the degree of Bachelor of Science at Syracuse University in 1913, and at that time was elected treasurer of the James V. Crawford Company, Inc. In 1918 Mr. Crawford was inducted into service for the World War and was sent to Fort Hancock, N.J., where he was assigned to the 22nd Coast Artillery. After his discharge he resumed his former position and upon the death of his father in 1921 Mr. Crawford became vice president and treasurer. He is also a director of the Frontier National Bank.
In 1916, Mr. Crawford was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Campbell, the daughter of George and Myrtle (Edgerley) Campbell, natives of New York. Both are deceased and are buried at Alexandria Bay. To Mr. and Mrs. Crawford have been born two daughters: Ruth Ellen, born in October 1920; Jane Elizabeth, born in December 1924.
Mr. Crawford is a Democrat and is serving as justice of the peace and village trustee. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and belongs to Black Lake Lodge, F. and A. M. No. 319; Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, and American Legion.
Return to Home Page