Excerpt from “History of the North Country”
by Harry F. Landon; Published 1932
Transcribed for internet by Anne M. Cady
The following biography is extracted from the “History of the North Country – A History embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York” by Harry F. Landon. This massive history consists of three large volumes with hundreds of short biographies. As time permits, I will be transcribing the entries with ties to Saint Lawrence County and putting them online.
Frederic H. Martin –
One of the reliable and successful attorneys of St. Lawrence County is Frederic H. Martin, who has engaged in the practice at Waddington since 1919. He was born here Feb. 4, 1878, the son of Henry and Effie (Harkness) Martin.
Henry Martin spent his life at Waddington and during his business career conducted a tailoring establishment here. He died in October, 1919. Mr. Martin was a Republican and for a number of years was president of the Village Board. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and belonged to the Masonic Lodge. Effie (Harkness) Martin was born at Matilda, Ontario, and resides at Waddington. To Mr. and Mrs. Martin were born four children: 1. Frederic H., the subject of this sketch. 2. Nora Case, lives in Montreal. 3. Carrie H., married Harry D. Wilson, lives at Waddington. 4. Ernest T., electrical engineer, lives at San Francisco.
Frederic H. Martin received his early education in the public schools of Waddington from which he was graduated in 1893. After his graduation from Potsdam Normal School in 1899 he taught school for two years in New York City, and during that time studied at the Brooklyn Law School of St. Lawrence University, from which he received a degree of LL. B. in 1903. During the following 12 years he was identified with the Brooklyn office of the Lawyers Title & Trust Company. He spent four years with the law firm of Bergen and Prendergast, in New York, and also took a special graduate course in the Law School of Columbia University under Harlan F. Stone, dean of the Kent Law School of Columbia University. Upon the death of his father in 1919 Mr. Martin returned to Waddington to reside with his mother. He has since continued in private practice here and has offices in the Masonic Building.
On March 11, 1907, Mr. Martin married Miss Elizabeth T. Williams of Stonington, Conn. She died March 28, 1912, and is buried at Stonington. They had no children.
Mr. Martin is a Republican. In 1923 he was elected to the office of town supervisor and served for three successive terms. He was reelected to that office in November, 1931. In 1925 he was interested in bringing the River Road through Waddington from Ogdensburg, and during 1926 in the proposed development of the Waddington harbor. He sought recognition for this project from the federal government. Mr. Martin is also village attorney.
Mr. Martin is affiliated with the Waddington Lodge, F. and A. M. No. 393, being chairman of the Board of Trustees, and B. P. O. Elks, Ogdensburg Lodge No. 772. He also belongs to the Waddington Fish and Game Club, of which he is president. He is president of the Chamber of Commerce and president of the Waddington School Board. Mr. Martin is treasurer and an active member of the First Presbyterian Church.
Return to Home Page