Excerpt from “History of the North
by Harry F. Landon; Published 1932
Transcribed for internet by Anne M. Cady
The following biography is extracted from the “History of the North Country – A History embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York” by Harry F. Landon. This massive history consists of three large volumes with hundreds of short biographies. As time permits, I will be transcribing the entries with ties to Saint Lawrence County and putting them online.
Edson A. Martin
Edson A. Martin, who is sheriff of St. Lawrence County, is a member of a well known and highly esteemed family of Canton, where he was born April 15, 1897. He is the son of Albert H. and Ada (Wellman) Martin.
Albert H. Martin was born at Clare, St. Lawrence County, and his wife is a native of Kendall County, Ill. He has been interested in general farming and stock raising throughout his life and lives at Canton. He is a Republican and holds the office of deputy sheriff of St. Lawrence County. He and his family are members of the Methodist Church and he belongs to the Grange. To Mr. and Mrs. Martin were born four children: 1. Edson A., the subject of this sketch. 2. Wayne E. 3. Alberta. 4. Iona. All live in Canton.
Albert H. Martin is the son of Alexander and Jane (Wells) Martin. Alexander Martin served throughout the Civil War and was wounded at the battle of Spottsylvania. He was active in public affairs at Canton and was Republican. He held membership in the Grand Army of the Republic. Both he and his wife are buried at Canton.
Edson A. Martin received his education in the Canton public schools and after his graduation from high school he entered the employ of the DeGrasse Paper Company, now the International Paper Company, at Pyrites, N.Y. In 1918, Mr. Martin enlisted in the World War and was sent to Camp Jackson, S.C. where he was assigned to the 25th Replacement Regiment of Field Artillery. While his company was enroute to France the war ended and Mr. Martin was discharged in January, 1919. At that time he resumed his former employment at Pyrites. Mr. Martin came to Canton in March, 1922, and was employed in the office of Sheriff Charles A. Gibson. After three months he became under sheriff and in November, 1924, was elected to the office of sheriff of St. Lawrence County. After three years in office, he was again appointed under sheriff in 1928, an din November 1930, was reelected as Sheriff.
In 1925 Mr. Martin married Miss Agnes K. Farrell, the daughter of Dennis and Elizabeth (White) Farrell, the former a native of New York and the latter of Ireland. They live at Canton. Mr. and Mrs. Martin have two children, Edson J. and Jeanne Theresa.
Mr. Martin has always been a Republican. He is an active member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church, and is past commander of John C. Peggs Post, No. 67, American Legion. He also belongs to the Club of Canton, St. Lawrence Golf Club, and B.P.O. Elks, No. 772.
Return to Home Page