Excerpt from “History of the North Country”
by Harry F. Landon; Published 1932
Transcribed for internet by Anne M. Cady
The following biography is extracted from the “History of the North Country – A History embracing Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis and Franklin Counties, New York” by Harry F. Landon. This massive history consists of three large volumes with hundreds of short biographies. As time permits, I will be transcribing the entries with ties to Saint Lawrence County and putting them online.
Arthur T. Johnson –
Vice president and director of the First National Bank of Gouverneur, is a lawyer by profession, and one of the able men of the community. He was born at Colchester, Vt., March 12, 1859, the son of Thomas Porter and Harriet L. (Newton) Johnson.
Both Thomas Porter Johnson and his wife died in 1900. They were natives of Colchester Vermont, and early settlers of Pitcairn, St. Lawrence County. He was the owner of a well improved farm and specialized in dairying. During the Civil War he served as a member of Battery D., First New York Light Artillery. Mr. Johnson was a Republican, a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic. He and his wife are buried at Russell, St. Lawrence County. Their children were: 1. Milo A., lives at Middlebury, Vt. 2. Arthur T., the subject of this sketch. 3. Theodore, deceased. 4. Fanny, deceased. 5. Adelaide, a teacher, lives at Tacoma, Wash. 6. Alice, deceased. 7. Roy, lives at Troy, N.Y.
Arthur T. Johnson attended the Pitcairn public schools and later attended and taught at Russell High School. Two years later he completed a course at Eastman Business College, after which he taught in the schools of Russell. Mr. Johnson took up the study of law in 1882 in the office of Conger & Gleason, being admitted to the New York State bar in four years. He then formed a partnership with George Gleason and the firm of Gleason & Johnson continued successfully until the death of Mr. Gleason in 1900. Since that date Mr. Johnson has engaged in private practice. He has held the office of village clerk for two years, justice of the peace for six years, police justice for two years, school director and president of the board for six years, and as special county judge of St. Lawrence county for 12 years. For many years he has been director and vice president of the First National Bank of Gouverneur.
In 1888 Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Caroline M. Gleason, the daughter of George M. and Sally Gleason of Pitcairn, St. Lawrence County. Both are deceased. Mr. Gleason, former law partner of Mr. Johnson, was also president of the First National Bank of Gouverneur for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson’s only child, Robert A., is deceased.
Politically, Mr. Johnson is a Republican. He holds membership in the Unitarian Church, and is president of the Stephen Van Duzee Hospital. He also holds membership in the St. Lawrence County Bar Association and American Bar Association.
Return to Home Page