Search billions of records on


Life in the Parishes

Truro , Cornwall - Mrs. Heard, Publisher
(Julia Mosman, OPC)

to February, and March



MEVAGISSEY - It has for a long time past been the desire of the inhabitants of this place to erect a Town Clock, but from some cause or other their wish has never been realized. The leading tradesmen have, however, now taken the matter up in earnest, and it may be expected to be in a very short time accomplished. It would be a valuable acquisition to the town, and it is hoped that no party prejudices or unworthy selfishness will prevent the erection of the clock.

APPOINTMENT IN THE FOREIGN OFFICE - The appointment in the Foreign Office mentioned in our paper last week, was of the Hon. HUSSEY C. VIVIAN, the eldest son of Lord Vivian, and not of the Hon J. C. Vivian, his lordship's brother.

THE GOLD REGIONS - Two miners, NICHOLAS and WILLIAM THOMAS, of the parish of Northhill, have lately returned to their homes from California . They left three years since last April, and proceeded to America, where they had another brother, who had saved enough to take the trio to the gold region, where they continued to labour for above two years - when the two returned to this country and the other returned to America - bringing with them above £1,500 each - Nicholas was a married man with three children, and when he left his family were pennyless and destitute, but the wife by industry of her needle, with the help of some good friends, has supported herself and family decently, and when he returned unexpectedly they were just finishing their frugal dinner on red herrings and potatoes.

CAUTION TO SAILORS - JOHN CORNISH of Fowey, a sailor, shipped himself on board the "Good Intent," WARBURTON master, for Quebec. At Quebec he left the vessel, and shipped for the run home for £5[?], thinking to obtain more money than from the vessel in which he had signed articles. before he left, for the concealment, &c., he had to pay the parties who induced him so to set, £4. He lost wages from the "Good Intent," and has since been committed to a mitigated imprisonment of six weeks in Bodmin gaol.


MATTHEW RICH, 30, was charged with having, on the 16th of October, at the parish of Mevagissey, feloniously stolen a quantity of apples, the property of HENRY HARRIS CARVETH. The witnesses against the prisoner were the prosecutor, in whose orchard the felony was committed, and the constable, FRANCIS ORGAN. The prisoner's statement before the committing magistrate was put in, after the proof of the magistrate's signature given by the constable. In it the prisoner said he was sorry he had gone into the orchard; he knew he had no business there; he begged Mr. Carveth's pardon, if he would forgive him, he would never go there again. Guilty.

MARY JANE CELLY, 16, was charged with stealing on the 1st of November, in the parish of Mevagissey, a shawl, the property of BENJAMIN HAWKEN, grocer and draper. Mr. SHILSON conducted the prosecution; and Mr. STOKES the defence. Benjamin Hawken stated that on the first of November, the prisoner came to his shop and looked at some shawls, and asked to be allowed to take some home for her mistress to see. She took away three in her basket. Shortly after she left the shop, he missed a shawl, and noted the description of it in his day book. On the 7th of November the three shawls were returned without the missing one. He then went to the house of Mrs. THOMAS, prisoner's employer, and told her that he suspected the girl had taken something from his shop. Mrs. Thomas said there was a shawl upstairs which the girl had found. She went up stairs and fetched it down; it was the same description of shawl that witness had missed, witness then gave information to the Constable.

FRANCIS ORGAN, constable of Mevagissey,stated that on Saturday November the 8th, he went to Mrs. Thomas's house, and demanded the shawl from Mrs. Thomas, and she took him into the parlour and there showed him a shawl; and prisoner said "It is mine; I found it out in the road." He asked her to go with him to Mevagissey to see Mr. Hawken, and allow him to take the shawl with him; and she consented to do so. Witness now produced the shawl in court.

Miss RAWLINGS, an assistant at Mr. Hawken's shop, proved that the prisoner came there and asked her for three shawls, and witness gave her three to take to her mistress. Witness observed to the prisoner that she had not any paper about the shawls; and prisoner said she did not want any. Witness then took the shawls out of the basket; and under the three, she saw the stolen shawl and took it out; and afterwards that same shawl was missed. The shawl produced by the constable Organ, was identified by the prosecutor, and the jury found a verdict of Guilty.

BARTLETT PASCOE 30, and MARTHA ABBOTT, 34, was charged with feloniously assaulting WILLIAM RICHARDS, of St. Austell, and stealing from his person twenty-seven shillings and two pence, the property of the said William Richards. Mr. SHILSON for the prosecution; Mr. Stokes for the defence. The prosecutor, a foreman of labourers on the St. Austell parish roads, stated that, on Friday afternoon on the 31st of October, he paid the men at the St. Austell town-hall, and, a little after six o'clock, was going to his home in St. Mewan, having twenty-seven shillings and two pence in a canvass bag in his left trowsers pocket.

Just after he had passed the Globe Inn, the female prisoner came from the causeway towards him and asked him if he was going to give her a glass. He said "no," and walked on; she walked by his left side and once or twice attempting to take hold of his arm, which he drew away. He stepped up on the causeway, and she did the same, and asked him to go back and give her three-penny-worth. He refused, and she then turned and went away with another woman. Then three men came forth and closed him against the wall while the women walked away towards the town. One of these three men was the prisoner Pascoe.

Prosecutor afterwards got away and went to the police constables SAMBELLS and WESTLAKE ; and then went with Sambells to the St. Mewan Inn, on the Truro road. Sambells went into the Inn , and prosecutor remained outside, and saw the prisoner Pascoe coming up the road toward St. Austell. Prosecutor told Sambells of this, and they went on together and overtook the prisoner on the top of the hill, near the Quakers' Burying Ground. They went on together to the four turnings, and then Pascoe went down the old road, and prosecutor and Sambells stopped. Prosecutor next saw the male prisoner near the Old Bridge, with Sambells, and walked on by them as far as the Globe, and heard prisoner ask Sambells to go into the Globe and have something to drink. Sambells said, "you go in and I will follow." The prisoner did not go in there, but went to the General Wolfe, and the constables Westlake and Sambells went in after him. Prosecutor there saw the prisoner Pascoe and gave him into custody, and immediately saw the female prisoner standing by the door, and gave her also into custody.

In Cross-Examination, the prosecutor stated that neither of the men put his hand in his pocket, and that he did not feel the woman's hand there. He missed his purse exactly as the three men came up, but did not know whether or not it was before one of the men put his hand on his collar to hold him against the wall. Neither of the men touched his pocket. While he was standing on the causeway, the other woman was only two or three yards off. He admitted too that on the evening in question, some other persons were placed in custody; but he added that the only man he charged was the prisoner Pascoe.

Thomas Sambells, policeman, stated that, after going with Richards to the St. Mewan Inn, he saw Pascoe coming up the hill, as if from Truro to St. Austell; he was walking leisurely; witness walked between him and Richards. Witness told Richards to go on the new road, while he (witness) went on the old road. Pascoe turned down the old road, and witness heard him ask of a man at a quarry, the way into town. Witness walked on, and the man came out at a gate into the road with a candle, and witness being on the St. Austell side of the gate, saw Pascoe turn away in the direction of Truro . The man said to him, "why that's not the way." Witness then turned off with Pascoe, and said to him, "Well Bart, how long have you been here?" He replied, "I have only now come from Truro ." They walked on together to the General Wolfe, and Pascoe said, "Do you know me?" Witness replied "I know you very well." Pascoe wanted him to go into the Globe to drink, but witness went on to the General Wolfe, where Pascoe ordered a noggin of gin, and then Westlake came in, and shortly afterwards, Pascoe and the woman were apprehended.

In Cross-Examination, Sambells said he took in custody, the same evening, four other men, but Richards only spoke positively of Pascoe and the female prisoner. Westlake , another policeman of St. Austell, confirmed the evidence of the last witness, and added that on his saying that he would get a woman to search the female prisoner, she said it was no use to search her - that she did not rob the man; it was COCK's woman who robbed him. Witness knew Cock and his woman; he had not been able to find either of them.

WILLIAM FREDERICK CONGDON, of St. Austell, proved that on Friday the 31st of October, he travelled from Launceston to St. Austell by the Times Coach, and saw the prisoner Pascoe and another man get on the coach at Bodmin and leave it at the Globe hotel, St. Austell. Witness also got off the coach at the Globe, and as he left the hotel, saw at the corner of the street, the prisoner and a woman talking. That was about six o'clock in the evening. The jury found the prisoners Guilty of stealing from the person.

JOHN WESCOTT, 25, pleaded Guilty of stealing, on the 30th of December, at the parish of Liskeard, three pieces of bacon, the property of JOHN HAINE.

ELLEN CUNDY, 20, was charged with stealing money from ISAAC REEMAN, at St. Austell; and MARY ANN TREMAIN, 21, was charged with receiving part of the same, knowing it to have been stolen. The prosecutor is a soldier who has been recruiting in St. Austell. On the 28th of November, between eight and nine in the evening, he saw Cundy, who asked him to give her a glass of ale, he told her he would give her one if she would go to the "Ring of Bells," which she did, and sat down by his side. He had then 8s. 7d. in his pocket; he left about nine o'clock, was then very tipsy, and on going to his billet at Hodge's and calling for a glass of beer, he found his money had been taken from him. Cundy was afterwards given in custody to constable HART, to whom she said that she and Tremain had divided the money and had bought articles with it. A witness called HAWKE, said he charged Tremain with taking some of the money, on which she said she would kill Cundy for having split on her, and that she had only had 2s. from Cundy.

Verdict, Cundy Guilty of stealing, Tremain of receiving. The Chairman disallowed the corporal's expenses, and said to him, if you get intoxicated and expose yourself to this kind of plunder, you must not expect to receive any countenance from this court.


OMNIBUS ACCIDENT - On Wednesday se'nnight as the Fairy Omnibus was entering the town of St. Austell, in descending the eastern hill just above the town, it came in contact with a donkey cart, which having caused the horses to start, they came against a wall on the side of the road, and the vehicle thus causing a severe jerk, the driver, a young man called BROAD of Probus, was thrown out of his seat, and fell on his head occasioning a concussion of the brain, from which and other injuries he now lies in a very precarious state. The omnibus being very heavily laden, the pole was broken, and the passengers had to be taken westward by another conveyance. Considering all the circumstances under which the accident occurred, it seems extraordinary that the consequences were not much more serious.

On Tuesday last, at Fowey, on the body of Captain JOHN WARBURTON. Deceased had lately returned from America , and brought home a new American boat. He went on Monday last, with two of his apprentices, to try the boat, in the afternoon, and again in the evening, leaving Fowey about half-past four, when it was nearly dark. There was a strong sea running, and the boat getting on the lee shore, struck against a rock and was capsized. One of the apprentices swam ashore, and the other clung to the boat, but Captain Warburton was unfortunately drowned. He struck his head against a rock when the boat was capsized, and most likely was stunned, for being a good swimmer he would otherwise have probably saved himself. He was a man very much respected, and his untimely death has cast a gloom over the town of Fowey . Verdict, "accidentally drowned."


SENTENCES OF THE PRISONERS - The following sentences were passed on the prisoners whose trials we reported last week:- JAMES CHAPPEL, for stealing a musical box from WILLIAM SEYMOUR, to be Once Whipped and Discharged.

THOMAS MOORE and STEPHEN COLLINS, taking barley from the granary of their master, THOMAS STANLAKE, of Liskeard, and giving it to his horses, - each One Week to Hard Labour.

JOHN WESTCOTT, stealing bacon from JOHN HAINE, of Liskeard, One Month's Hard Labour.

MATTHEW RICH, stealing apples from Mr. CARVETH, of Mevagissey, One Month's Hard Labour.

ELLEN CUNDY and MARY ANN TREMAIN, the former charged with stealing money from ISAAC REEMAN, at St. Austell, the latter with receiving it, each Three Months' Hard Labour.

JOHN DIXON, stealing a watch from FRANCIS VIVIAN, at Lostwithiel, Four Months' Hard Labour.

MARY JANE KELLY, stealing a shawl from BENJAMIN HAWKEN, of Mevagissey, Four Months' Hard Labour.

BARTLETT PASCOE and MARTHA ABBOTT, for assaulting WILLIAM RICHARDS, of St. Austell, and stealing money from his person. The Chairman said, we apprehend you have both been tried before though not convicted. Sentence, each Eight Months' Hard Labour.


THE WRECK OF THE STEAM VESSEL "AMAZON." - On Tuesday the 6th instant, the life boat belonging to this ill-fated vessel was picked up at Pridmouth, about two miles below Fowey. She had part of a hawser attached to her, corresponding with the reports which have appeared, having parted from the brig which conveyed the survivors into Plymouth . In reference to the wreck of the "Amazon" we have received the following from a Redruth correspondent:- "The wreck of this splendid steamer and its melancholy accompaniment, form one of the most distressing occurrences we have heard of for many years. The want of caution in stowing the cargo, appears in this, as in many other instances, to be the cause of the fire. Putting tallow near a fire seems a very absurd notion, and it certainly must have been an oversight of those in authority in that department; be that as it may, we see the fatal consequences. There is another thing which, had she been provided with, might have averted such dreadful loss of life, that is the means of shutting off the steam when there is no means of reaching the engine-room. I hope this latter remark may attract the attention of some one more able to prosecute such a suggestion."

CORONER'S INQUEST - On Monday last, an inquest was held before Mr. GILBERT HAMLEY, deputy county coroner, at St. Austell, in view of the body of JAMES BROAD, a driver of one of the "Fairy" omnibuses, who met with his death from injuries he received by being thrown from the carriage the previous Wednesday. It appeared from the evidence that deceased was driving down the hill into St. Austell at an unusually fast pace. About half way down the hill there was a donkey cart in the middle of the road. The man to whom it belonged being rather deaf, did not hear the carriage coming until it was almost close to him. The man tried to pull in the cart, and the deceased in endeavouring to pass the cart struck against it, which frightened the horses and he lost all command over them. The wheels of the carriage then got into the gutter, and after proceeding a few yards, struck against a large stone which projects nearly sixteen inches into the street, and placed there to prevent vehicles from running against the corner of the house. The man was thrown several feet, the fall producing concussion of the brain of which he died three days after the injury. The jury, consisting of some of the most respectable tradesmen of the town, returned the following verdict. "That the said James Broad was accidentally killed by being thrown from Mr. KELLOW's omnibus, the wheels having come in contact with a large stone projecting in a narrow part of the street, which they hoped would be immediately removed." The jury also through their foreman hoped that Mr. Kellow and Mr. DUNN would caution their drivers against driving so fast down the hill entering St. Austell, feeling assured that if the deceased had driven down the hill at a moderate pace, the accident would not have happened.

ST AUSTELL - This court was held on Thursday the 8th instant, when thirty-eight cases were tried, but none were of public interest. Mr. SILIAS TINNEY, Upholsterer of St. Austell, received his final order. The petition of Miss GRACE BENNET, grocer, was adjourned to the next court.

ST. AUSTELL PETTY SESSIONS - These sessions were held on Tuesday last, when there were more cases than usual, most of them for assaults.

ELIZABETH TEAGUE, of Carvath, summoned MARY PENHALL for assault, but this case was dismissed, each party having to pay her own costs. A lad named CLOAK of Mevagissey, was charged with assaulting a man named CROSS, and committed for six weeks to the House of Correction.

JOHN PAUL, of Redruth, was summoned by the St. Austell police for ill-treating a horse, and fined 5s. and costs.

Mr. JAGO, of Mevagissey, charged two persons named CROSS, and a person called PEARCE, with assaulting him. The charge against Cross the younger and Pearce was dismissed; but Cross sen., was fined 1s. and costs.

RICHARD HANCOCK, of St. Blazey, was fined 5s. for getting drunk.

A man called BERESON, of St. Austell was charged with poaching on the grounds of Sir J.S.G. SAWLE, Bart., and was fined 7s. 6d., with costs. Captain WEBB, of Great Brynn Mine, was summoned by the keeper of a toll-bar near the Victoria Inn, charged with pulling down and destroying the bar, but the charge being wrongly preferred, the case was dismissed.

COMMITTAL - On Friday last, at St. Austell, a man named WILLIAM JOHNS, was committed for twenty-one days, for leaving the union and wearing away the workhouse clothing.



2 January -
At Trenarren, near St. Austell, on the 22nd ult., the wife of THOMAS HEXT, Esq., a son.
At St. Austell, on Saturday last, the wife of Mr. JOHN AGNEW, a daughter; and on Monday, the wife of Mr. JAMES CREBA, blacksmith, a son.
At St. Columb, on Saturday last, the wife of Mr. JOHN GEAKE, druggist, a daughter.

9 January -
At Roche, on the 30th ult., the wife of Mr. J. B. SNELL, a daughter.
At Fowey, on the 30th ult., the wife of the Rev. E. J. TREFFRY, of Place, a son.

16 January - none reported

23 January -
At St. Austell, on Tuesday last, the wife of Mr. THOMAS SLEEMAN COOM, a son.


2 January -
At St. Austell, on Tuesday last, Mr. R. E. NORRAMORE, master of the National School, to Mary, third daughter of the late Mr. JOHN LOVERING.

9 January -
At St. Austell, on Tuesday last, Mr. BARRY LORD, surgeon, of Liskeard, to ANNE, second daughter of Mr. BAKER BANKS, of Charlestown.
At Lanhydrock, on Tuesday last, Mr. JOHN HOYLE GEACH, land-surveyor, to Miss VAGUE.

16 January - none reported

23 January -
At St. Austell, on the 15th instant, Mr. JAMES BROWN, tea-dealer, &c., to Miss CLIVE.


2 January -
At Carhayes Parsonage, on the 22nd ult., the Rev. CHARLES TREVANION KEMPE, late rector of St. Michael Carhayes, St. Stephens in Branwell, and St. Dennis, in this county, aged 74 years.
At the residence of Mr. E. STOCKER, St. Austell, where she was on a visit, Miss MARY AUGUSTA WICKENDEN, of Leamington, aged 30 years.
At Bodmin, on the 21st ult., Mr. SERJEANT, late of Devonport; and on the 22nd, Mrs. CATER, formerly of the Bell Inn, Liskeard, aged 80 years.

9 January -
At St. Austell, on Wednesday last, the wife of Mr. HORATIO BURROWS, gardener.
At Fowey, after a lingering illness, OLIVIA, relict of the late Commander THOMAS WILLIAM NICHOLLS, R. N.
At Fowey, on Saturday last, JOSEPH, son of Mr. WILLIAM RICHARDS, aged 6 years.

16 January -
At Redruth, on the 7th instant, MARY CRANE, daughter of Mr. JAMES DAVEY, Assayer, of St. Austell,
aged 25 years; on Friday last, Mr. ALEXANDER BURNS, aged 70 years; on Sunday, Mr. WILLIAM
LEAN, green-grocer, aged 52 years; and on Wednesday, CATHARINE, second daughter of the late
Mr. JOHN PROVIS, copper agent, aged 20 years.
At St.Austell, on Monday last, ELIZABETH, relict of the late Mr. W. HAWKE, aged 43 years, having
survived him only five weeks; and on Wednesday, CLARA ALICE, infant daughter of Mr. WILLIAM

23 January - none recorded


6 February -
DARING ROBBERY - About midnight on Friday last, some thieves stole a quantity of potatoes of the value of twenty-five shillings, from a cave in the garden of Mr. WENDOM, at the Menabilly Lodge, Fowey; and on tracking certain marks found the next morning, it was ascertained that a cart had been drawn into a field belonging to Trenant farm, and a considerable number of turnips carried off. It is to be hoped that the depredators will be discovered.

SHEEP STEALING - On the night of the 28th ult., a fat sheep was stolen from the flock of Mr. ANSTEY, farmer, at Menabilly. The thief has not as yet been discovered.

ST. AUSTELL PETTY SESSIONS - These sessions were held on Tuesday last, in the Town-hall, when JAMES WILLIAMS was brought up, charged by the police with being drunk and creating a disturbance in the street on the evening of Saturday last. This, however, being his first offence, he was let off by paying the expenses. Two men were committed, one for six weeks for refusing to pay towards the maintenance of an illegitimate child, and another for three months for a similar offence.

JOHN SLEEMAN, of St. Austell, was bound over in £40 to keep the peace for twelve months towards ELIZABETH SLEEMAN, his wife; and a man named SLOGGETT was bound in £20 to keep the peace for twelve months towards a person named DINGLE.

ACCIDENT - On Wednesday the 28th ult., as the ploughman of Mr. ANSTEY, of Menabilly farm, in the parish of Tywardreath, was ploughing with two of his master's horses in a field called "the West Ground," one of the animals having been startled by something, dashed over a very high cliff, - carrying with it the plough, &c., and but for the harness of the other horse having broken, there can be no doubt that it would have shared the same fate. The animal died from the fall.

STANNARIES - Wednesday January 4. -

MINERAL COURT MINE - RICHARDS v. MARTINDALE. - Mr. ROBERTS, for plaintiff, stated that this was a petition by the purser of Mineral Court Mine, in the parish of St. Stephens in Branwell. The petition stated that prior to and from the 5th of February, 1849, down to the 5th of September, 1851, the mine was carried on in 250 shares, and subsequent to the 5th of Sept., in 248 shares; that the defendant, BENJAMIN MARTINDALE, in the former period held two-250ths, and in the latter period, two-248th shares; and that in respect of those shares so held, there became and still remained due to the petitioner, as purser, £294. 2s. 3d., for which amount the petitioner now sued. Mr. G. N. SIMMONS, who appeared for the defendant, consented to the issuing of a decree for payment; but stated that he was instructed to ask for as long a time for payment as possible. His Honor granted a decree for payment on the 15th of April; Mr. Simmons, for defendant, consenting to accept service of decree as on this day.

13 February - Local Intelligence

ST AUSTELL PETTY SESSIONS - In our report last week, instead of W. SLOGGETT having been bound over to keep the peace towards GEORGE DINGLE, it should have been that Dingle was bound in £20 to keep the peace for twelve months towards William Sloggett.

CORNWALL COUNTY COURTS - St. Austell - In the case of VERCOE v. VERCOE, of St. Dennis, it appeared that plaintiff ELIZABETH VERCOE, widow of the late Mr. WILLIAM VERCOE, son of the defendant, claimed three horses which were used by her husband at the time of his death, whereas the
defendant claimed them as his, and said he only lent them to his son to form a team, for the purpose of carrying clay, &c., and that he was to give up either of them if his father should want it. Evidence was
given at considerable length, and the case occupied the court nearly five hours, judgment being deferred until the next court. Mr. BISHOP of Fowey, appeared for plaintiff, and Mr. SHILSON defended the case.

MARY BENNETTS, grocer, of St. Austell, obtained her final order as an insolvent.

GRACE BENNETTS was again opposed by Messrs. HITCHENS and WARNE, but obtained the protection of the court for one month longer, for the purpose of the creditors further investigating her accounts.

20 February - Local Intelligence

COMMITTAL - On Monday last, a man of Mevagissey, named MATTHEW RICH, was committed for trial by Mr. E. COODE, jun., charged with attempting the life of his mother.

The mining districts during the last ten years have increased in population as follows:- The district comprising St. Austell, St. Blazey, Tywardreath, St. Mewan, St. Stephens, St. Dennis and Roche, which had increased its population in forty years ending in 1841 at the rate of 166.3 per cent.; or on the average of each ten years at 27.7 per cent.; increased four per cent in the last ten years.

I am sir, your obedient servant RICHARD THOMAS. Falmouth,
February 14, 1852.

CORONERS' INQUEST - At Mount Charles, St. Austell, on the 17th instant, on THOMAS HODGSON,
a child, four years and a half old. MARGARET HODGSON, the mother, deposed that on Saturday last, about seven o'clock in the morning, she got up to dress herself. The child got out of bed at the same time and
told his mother he would go down in the kitchen for a crib, (meaning a piece of bread). He took a candlestick, in which there were some lucifer matches, and went down stairs. In about a minute, she heard him screaming, and on going down stairs, found him in the window with his clothes on fire. She wrapped her petticoat around him and put it out. Mr. Berryman, surgeon, of St. Austell, was soon in attendance, but the injury was such that the child died the next day. There is no doubt but that he had lit one of the lucifers, and by which he had set fire to his clothes. Verdict, "accidental death."

27 February - None.


6 February -
At Lostwithiel, on Tuesday last, the wife of Mr. QUILLER, potter, a son.
At Gerrans, on Saturday last, the wife of Mr. J. COMBE, of twins.
At St. Austell, on Tuesday last, the wife of Mr. G. SPEAR, a still-born son.
At Charlestown , on Monday last, the wife of Mr. T. POLGLASS, tailor, a daughter; and the wife of Mr. JOHN WALKEY, a daughter.
At Par, on Tuesday last, the wife of Mr. MARK JAGOE, a daughter.

13 February -
At Tywardreath, on the 1st instant, the wife of Mr. JAMES ARTHUR, of the Porcupine Inn, a daughter.
At Roche, on the 4th instant, the wife of Mr. FRANCIS, of the Commercial Inn, a daughter.

20 February -
At St. Austell, the wife of Mr. TUCKER, surgeon, a daughter.

27 February -


13 February -
At the Registrar's Office, Liskeard, on Saturday last, Mr. RICHARD PRIOR TOMS, of East Looe, TO Miss SUSANNAH HAMBY, of Lansallos.
At the Wesleyan Chapel, St. Austell, on Saturday last, Mr. HORE to Miss LEEK.

20 February -
At St. Stephens in Branwell, on Sunday last, GEORGE, eldest son of Mr. THOMAS TRUSCOTT, to MARY, third daughter of Mr. EDWARD ARTHUR.

27 February -


6 February -
At St. Austell, on Friday last, MARY, relict of the late Mr. KENDALL, custom-house officer, of Charlestown , aged 80 years.
At Charlestown , on Friday last, the wife of Mr. JOHN HAMMER, cooper, aged 22 years.
At Liskeard, on the 25th ult., CHARLES, son of Mr. HAWKIN, aged 2 1/2 years.

13 February -
At Polsco Farm, near Lostwithiel, on the 5th instant, Mr. JAMES RUNDLE, aged 68 years.
At Fowey, on the 5th instant, Mr. JOSEPH HAM, grocer, aged 72 years.

20 February -
At Terank, in the parish of Roche, on Friday last, Mr. RICHARD VERCOE, aged 74 years.
At Charlestown, on the 7th instant, DOROTHY MITCHELL, wife of Mr. JOSEPH MITCHELL, sawyer, aged 66 years; and on the 8th, ROSE HENDER, aged 72 years.
At the Vicarage, Mevagissey, on the 10th instant, ANNE E. MARGARET, infant daughter of the Rev. W. J. ALBAN.
At Liverpool, on the 6th instant, Mr. HENRY ROWE, of Fowey, Supervisor of Inland Revenue, aged 54 years.

27 February -


5 March -

12 March -

19 March -

26 March -


5 March -
At Trobus, in the parish of St. Ewe, on the 22 nd ult., the wife of Mr. KIRKIN, a daughter.

12 March -
At St. Austell, on Saturday last, the wife of Mr. WILLIAM PHILLIPS, cooper, a son; on Sunday, the wife of Mr. HAMBLY, roper, a son; the wife of Mr. JOHN PAULL, carpenter, a daughter; the wife of Mr. HENRY CARVETH, a daughter; and the wife of Mr. HARVEY, a son.
At Liskeard, on the 2 nd instant, the wife of Mr. NANCARROW, grocer, a still-born son.

19 March -

26 March -


5 March -
At Tregoney, on the 19 th ult., Mr. JOHN CORKHILL, of St. Mawes, to MARY, second daughter of Mr. NICHOLAS ANDREW, of the former place.
At St. Mary’s, St. Blazey Gate, Mr. THOMAS ANDREW, grocer, to Miss SUSAN SCANTLEBURY.
At the Registrar’s Office, Liskeard, on Saturday last, Mr. DANIEL SWEET to Miss MARY ARUNDELL LOBB, both of St. Neot.

12 March -
At St. Austell, on Tuesday last, Mr. SAMUEL GLANVILLE to Miss MENEAR.

19 March -

26 March -


5 March -
At St. Austell, on Monday last, Miss ELIZABETH COPP, aged 28 years; and Mr. JAMES BURDGE, aged 61 years.

12 March -
At St. Austell, on the 3 rd instant, Mr. WILLIAM COUMBE, OF THE Town Mills, aged 67 years.
At St. Stephens in Branwell, on Sunday last, the infant son of Mr. RICHARD TRETHEWEY, carpenter.
At Tywardreath, on the 4 th instant, after a short illness, JANE, wife of Mr. THOMAS BLEWITT, aged 27 years.

19 March -

26 March -

To April through June .


Main Index Resources Parish Life Maps Genealogy History Top
Last updated November 24 , 2011. In case of problem, please notify Webmaster.