ST. AUSTELL - the (almost) full map of the Parish
on the St. Austell History & Genealogy website
from The Third Part of the General Survey of England and Wales, containing the whole of Cornwall and a portion of the adjoining Counties
done by the
surveyors of His Majesties Ordnance, under the Direction of
Lt. Col. Mudge of the Royal Artillery, F.R.S.
taken from the Map of Cornwall - 1810
Original Scale, 1 inch to 1 mile
The map may be slow to open, as the file size is large, to show details clearly.
This map of the St. Austell area includes, on the Eastern side, St. Blazey and Prideaux, which were not in the parish. Neither was Tregrehan - it was just across the road which marked the eastern border. Boscoppa, across the road, was in the parish. It also shows Tywardreath, which in much earlier times was the seat of a Priory which controlled most of the territory shown on the map, and Fowey, which has always been a deep-water port town. The water shown at Par Sands extended to St. Blazey in the 1700s; sedimentation caused the shoreline change since then.Continuing northward, Luxulion (as the old spelling is shown) St. Winnow, and Roche parishes complete the eastern side of the map. The map, unfortunately, does not extend the full length of the parish - the northern tip, including Bugle (Carne Rosemary) is missing. Starrick and Roscorlar are the northernmost points of the parish shown on this map.
On the western side, [left side of the map] Hensbarrow Beacon marked the NW boundary, which extended southhward to Carron Carrow, then southward past Biscovillet and Trenance to St. Austell. The border ran just past St. Mewan, then turned West at the Turnpike until reaching Treganjeeves. It then turned southerly, and followed the Vinnick to London Apprentice, ending at Porthpean, and Mevagissey Bay.
Parishes bordering on this side were St. Stephen in Brannel, St. Mewan, St. Ewe, and Mevagissey, and bits of them are shown on this map for reference.
This map was published in "The Old Series Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales, a Reproduction of the 110 sheets of the survey in Early State in 10 Volumes", held by the L.D.S. library, Salt Lake City Utah, U.S. and separately as 5 sheets by Lt. Col. Mudge in 1813. This image was taken from the original map.
|Main Index||Resources||Parish Life||Photos||Maps||Genealogy||Top|
|Last updated March 2, 2010. In case of problem, please notify Webmaster. (see Index)|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids