Search billions of records on

You are visitor

View My Guestbook
Sign My Guestbook


Family Database
In Memory Of ...

Contact Search Reunion Copyright Info

In Memory Of ...

Losing a family member is one of the most difficult things we will do in our lives. This page is dedicated to the remembrance of family members we have lost. To have family members you have lost remembered here, contact the Webmaster.





Possibly the longest living member of this family




Read about his death, more horrifying than you can imagine.




     William Wilson Stough, husband, and father of three, died in a way none of us can possibly imagine. An article about his death,  from the Saturday Morning,   February 5, 1898 edition of "The Gazette", is transcribed below. William was a descendant of John George and Anna Barbara Berner Stauch, and also the ggg-grandfather of my wife. 







The Giving Away of a Defective Valve

Caused William Stough, an Employee at the Mills, to Lose His Life. He Was Terribly scalded by Hot Water Into Which He was Compelled to Jump - Died After Suffering

Twelve Hours


     William Stough, a laborer, employed at the Spring Grove paper mills, died at his home, in Jackson township, yesterday morning from the effects of a terrible scalding sustained while engaged in cleaning a large boiler at the mills on Thurs- day afternoon about 4 o'clock.


     There are two large boilers in use and they receive their supply of water from a large tank in which the water is kept at a boiling point. Two pumps are used to force the water into the boilers, each pump being so arranged that in case one becomes out of repair the other can be used upon either boiler. The pump used to feed the boiler in which Stough was scalded was at the time being used to feed the other boiler, the other pump being out of repair. A defective valve giving way caused the scalding water to rush in upon the unfortunate man and he was nearly cooked alive before he could escape.


     He screamed at the top of his voice, but the noise of the hissing steam drowned his cries for help. The boiler was an upright one and Stough was standing in the upper portion. The only way to escape to the outside was by jumping down into the scalding water. The boiler was already half full. The opening which Stough was compelled to crawl through was only large enough to allow a man to get through.


     Stough dove down into the water, opened a valve and let the water out. He was half dead and unable to bear up any longer and he fell down in a semiconscious condition. In this position he was found by some fellow workman, who removed him from the boiler. He was found to be frightfully scalded and his flesh in some places was merely hanging to the bones.


     He was removed to the home of Mrs. Hale, in Spring Grove, and Dr. Hoke was summoned. The doctor did all in his power to relieve the man's sufferings, but he was beyond relief, and after suffering excruciating pain for over twelve hours, he died, about 4:30 o'clock yesterday morning. His entire lower limbs and abdomen were terribly cooked and scalded and the rest of his body was badly scalded.


     Mr. Stough was 40 years of age and

leaves a wife and three children.