HOLY TRINITY CHURCH IN UPPINGTON
The Staniers “were a branch of the Staffordshire family of that name and the first to come into Shropshire”, according to the Rec. J. B. Blakeway, as Agent to Francis, first Earl of Brandford born 1620, and married a daughter of Dr. Allestree, his predecessor as Agent, and sister of Dr. Allestree, Provost of Eton. The family settled at Uppington and sent out several branches. There are memorials to the Stanier family inside the church and the registers contain many references to them. A 17th c. brass plaque in Uppington Parish Church refers to John and Rachel Stanier. John was the Land Steward (Agent) to Francis Newport, 1st Earl of Bradford of Weston Park. (The deposited original Parish Registers are 1650-1992.)
The above article was researched and written by Chris Lanfear.
|Previous Page||Next Page|