Uppington is a small parish 8 miles east from Shrewsbury and 4 miles west from Wellington, in the Northern division of the county, Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, Atcham union and Shrewsbury county court district. The village is pleasantly situated, being in the immediate neighbourhood of the Wrekin. The Church of the Holy Trinity is a small, ancient stone building, with nave and square turret with 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1650. The living is a donative, yearly value £176, in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland and held by the Rev. John Meredith, M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The Duke of Cleveland, K.G. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is chiefly loam; subsoil, various. The crops are wheat, barley, turnips and clover. The area is 753 acres; rateable value, £1,241; and the population in 1871 was 100.
Meredith, Rev. John, M.A. - Vicarage
The above article was found at the Shropshire Archives, Castle Gates, on page 424, Tugford, Shropshire Post Office and copied by Mary Nemes (Beckton, Stanier) who is the granddaughter of Harriet Florence Beckton (Stanier), eldest daughter of John Edward Stanier, farmer.
|Previous Page||Next Page|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids