Farmington, Connecticut, along with agriculture, is well known for its early New England architecture. The Stanley-Whitman House
at 37 High Street is one of the best known examples of early New England framed architecture.
As with many colonial houses, the Stanley-Whitman house has a complicated history, and few
documents. It was probably first constructed in the 1660s, but substantially enlarged, including the whole rear half (the lean-to), after
1700. The house was sold in 1720 by John Stanley Senior, son of Captain John Stanley, one of the founders of Farmington, to
Captain Ebenezer Steel (according to N. Isham and A.F. Brown, Early Connecticut Houses). It was later sold to the Whitman family.
The house has been dated to 1660, with the lean-to from 1760 (Styles and Types of North
American Architecture, 1992). The house was extensively restored in 1934, with a modern museum wing added at that time.
Return to The "Hartford" Stanley Families of America.
Go to the John Stanley Genealogy Page.
This Page © 2002 James K. Stanley. All Rights Reserved. The
information contained herein, may not be used for any commercial purpose whatsoever, and may not be uploaded to any
commercial site, including, but not limited to, Family Tree Maker, without the express written consent of the author.