Search billions of records on

Price Thompson
Life Story

Return to last page for additional letters.
Return to Family Homepage
Bottom of Page
Top of Page

This story is copied from Price Thompson, History of his life. Who wrote the history of the ancestor of the Hurst, Bagby, Paxton, Young and Thompson, and many more.

The brief History and ancestor as far as possible, several of my beloved nieces have requested me to write some of the interesting things as I remember them.

First I will begin with my great grand father, Joseph Edward Paxton who lived close to the Great National Bridge over Rock River Creek, Virginia. It was here my mother was born. Her name was Matilda Paxton (Jane), a lovely little woman. Did not weight much over a 100 lbs. at any time. I think the birth was about 1814, her mother name was before her marriage was Mary Bagby and later on I will try to show my father was also related to the same Bagby family.

One of the interesting thing I remember of grand father Paxton was, he was a shot and bullet maker and made them to help the revolutionary war. The shot was made by using a long sack about six feet long. He would drop sack over side of Natural Bridge into the water, then pour melted lead through a colander into the sack allowing shot to cool some before hitting the water, so they would not be to hard. Some time in the early history along with many Virginians, the Paxton and Bagby hit the Wilderness trail and landed in or near Glasgow, Kentucky. It was here they met up with the Younger Family. It was here that Samuel Ronick Young met Matilda Jane Paxton and they were married. 8 children were born in this union.

Joseph Edward Young was born in 1840, My mother Ella Martha Young was born 1842, Robert Timothy Young in 1845 and Kitty Elizabeth Young and Benjamin Albert (twins) Young were still born somewhere, I don't know. Mother early life was spent near Glasgow, where her father operated a tan yard and was noted for making a very high grade of lumber which was such much sought after by leather goods maker. He also made shoes, but mother said they were not nice, but serviceable, any way she said she was glade. When she could buy some factory made shoes, he was assistance in work by old Uncle Tom, a black slave who became an expert maker.

Grandpa Young had a sister-in-law who mother loved very much and married a man by the name of Samuel Terry and raised a large family. I understand there were a lot of Terry living around Glasgow. I guess this was a wonderful place to live, as I have heard my mother say many times the south would of have been a most ideal place to live if it had not been for the slavery. 1855 when slavery agitation got rather hot. The Young family persuaded to move to Missouri.

The wagon was equipped and they drove through. Before leaving, grandpa gave old Uncle Tom a deed to his freedom and ten acres of ground and helped him to build a cabin. He also made some offer to old Mammy who had helped to raise his family. She accepted a deed to her freedom, but instead insisted on staying with the family until she died. In camp near St Louis, Missouri, Old Mammy said how this town has ground she was told about coming by on a slave boat when they were just a few houses on the river bank.

They stopped south east of Mound City, Missouri where grandpa entered considerable land at $1.25 an acre. Mother was about fifteen than and lived there until she was 29 when she married dad.

The old black servant soon became old and helpless. But all the family give her the best care and attention. A while before she died, she asked Master Sam to make her a nice coffin out of some walnut board. And when finished to bring it to her so she could feel of it. She wanted to see if it was nice and smooth. She requested to be buried back of the Orchard on the place which was done. The place was sold into another hand then the old grave was soon forgotten. And the site was plowed into the field. However when I was in Missouri last time, I could not locate but think of the old soul even through I have never had seen her.

They lived at this location until the Civil War came. Then they moved to Iowa for two years in order to escape the guerilla warfare. Many innocent people were being shot down without cause. Raiders would come and steal horses and cattle come night. They came to burn grandpa barn, which was made out of green logs, fortunately they were to green to burn and the fire was put out after raider left. Uncle Joe Young had heard the raiders were coming and loaded the old muzzle loading shot gun with buck shot and wanted to hide near the barn and let them have it. However grandpa persuaded him no to do so. He told Uncle Joe that others would come and murder all of them and burn the house and everything else. However Uncle Joe went to the hiding place, but still I have heard him say. I sure could have slaughter them.

Soon after this Uncle Joe joined the federal army and took part in the battle. I believe it was at Poe Ridge. When the war was over the Young came back from Iowa to the land they had left and lived in peace and comfort the rest of their lives. Grandpa entered 80 acres of land for each of his children. And all lived in same community for many years.

Mother 80 acres was the starting of the home when she and dad were married in June 1870. I have mother tell of associating with Aunt Ann Meyers. She later become Maud Mother. I used to hear mother by saying. I guess you girls had a great time trying to catch a beau. Mother replied but I did not say much. But Annie would sure do the talking. Have heard mother speech after often of how she and Annie would ride horses back to Forest City to do a little shopping. Can hardly realize how she did it as she always seemed to be afraid of horses.

While we were on grandfather Young rode horses to Forest City and on the way home was follow by an young man who was very rude and mean. He was round and threatened to kill grandpa all the way, I have heard his say he expected to feel the bullet at any time. Soon after this young man and another man went to rob a neighbor one night. The young man was killed. We may think we are living in a period of great anxiety. Don't believe we have not seen anything to equal this. I do not know just how mother and dad became acquainted. I guess it was through the Bagby family as dad - mother was a (3 over) Bagby and was related to Mary Bagby that married the J Paxton I have mentioned. Several of the Bagby so all as interested families lived near us in Missouri. Any way they were married near St Joseph, Missouri. Relative around Saxton Station. Mother, sister and brother Robert were also married about the same time. From these marriages were born what always called the ten cousin.

Leslie was the first born, Dec 24, 1872.
Dot Jasper was next born April 1873 (she is still living and resides at Ashland Hotel, Oregon.
Samuel Arthur Thompson was next born Feb 5, 1875
Ermine Young was next do not the date.
Nellie Jasper was next do not know the date. (Nellie was killed in a auto accident near Dodge City, Kansas)
Harry was born next, Oct. 21, 1878.
Fongray was next, do not know the date.
I came January 13, 1882 (Price Thompson)
Samuel M Jasper was the last born Aug 21, 1882

Only three of the ten are now living at this date.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

Price Thompson wrote this script about 1961/2. June 1960, Nov 15, 1960.

We are always very close to each other and always enjoyed family dinner together, especially at our home and at grandpa Young (Samuel Ronick Young). Grandpa place was a core of youngster delight with wonderful apple orchard. Red and black raspberries and lonely garden.

One of the darkest time of my life was when my mother, (grandmother) suffered her last illness. Everyone was trying to suggest something she might like to eat. She finally suggested she should like to a quail. Everyone got busy, especially dad and Uncle Joe. But no one had any success. Then is when I became a hero. I looked out the north window at home an on an apple tree was a lone quail. I was only 8 years old, but I carefully took the old muzzle loader, slipped nervously out the door and let go.

Down came the quail. It was quickly dressed and Art went across the field to Grandpa. And told them that I had killed the quail. Few days later I went over and the death watcher were in the room. She was apparently in a comer. She saw me walk close by the bed and opened her eyes and said to Aunt Lizzie, was that Price.

He was so great sweet to kill the quail for me. These were her last works, when it was all over Aunt Lizzie, folded men in her and told me I ought to be highly honored that my name was the last she spoke. In those days, dear old neighbors were on hand for comfort and to prepare the bed for burial. Grandmother Mayers, Maul grand mother and Mrs George W Thompson the ones. This was my first experience with death and it took me a long time to recover from it.

A few years after grand mother death Leslie and Maud married and moved over on Grandpa place in which what we called Happy Hollow. Near Blair school house where Leslie taught school for a number of years. It was here that Marie, Robert and Maurice were born. I used to drive by here on my high school and it was always a course of pleasure to me to stop on my way home, especially when I had a little candy for expected youngsters.

One of the sources of great pleasure in our boyhood days was our association with Uncle Landon Thompson, dad brother family, James R Cordie, and Helen Wound. Open weekend in each other home which was always a delight. I have heard Dear Old red headed Aunt Jennie many times. Those were the happiest days of my life. The Family is all gone now except the grand children who all reside near Mound City, Missouri.

John R wife is still living, now for a little information about Dad

Price Thompson father , father of Price Thompson grand father name was Frank Thompson, born some where in Tennessee.

Some said that his folks came from Norway, Uncle Landon said they were Scott Irish decent. Frank married Lucy Bagby and established a home in Barren County, Kentucky. That is where dad and Uncle Landon were born, also their sisters Ann, who become the mother of Frank and Robert Hurst.

Also a sister, Lou. Dad mother died when the children were quite young. Then Frank Thompson, his father married again and three daughters were born. I only saw one of dad half sister. But they were raised quite a number of children. I never net but five of them all that I met were lovely people. Dad folks (Frank Thompson) moved from Kentucky to St Joseph, Missouri, and lived there to the end. I never did see my grand father Thompson. I guess he died with pneumonia before I was born.

Dad (Robert Thompson) and a number of boy friends joined the Confederate Army and all served about 4 years. They were in First Missouri Brigade under Colonel Eligh Goter (Gotes). His general was Sterling Price. Dad was closely associated and worship them. General Price at one time was stricken with small pox. Dad troops were ordered to move. Dad wanted to go and shake hands with him before he left and so he did. The old general criticized his for so doing . But dad said, I may never see you again.

While in the army dad become acquainted with Jessie and Frank James. Also Col and Bob Young and also the raider Quantrill. These fellows after the war became notorious outlaws. But dad never mingled with them.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

Last battle was at Vicksburg, Miss. A gun boat was on the river shelling the Confederate Forces. Dad somehow had a secured a sharp repeating rifle, one of the first made. He stationed where he had the distance figured to the boat. Everyday they fired they would open up a port hole, shove muzzle of cannon out then fire. Dad be ready and would get two shots in the port hole. The boat finally had to with draw.

It was here dad's army had to surrender. The captain of the boat inquired who in the world was shooting in the port hole. He said two of his best gunner were killed. And two were wounded. He said they had to wrap the barrel of their cannon with rope before they could stop the bullets.

In one battle, dad army was on the retreat and dad came on his boyhood friend. Camp (Campbell) Lynch, who was played out and sick. Camp said to him Bob, you are not off and leave me are you? Dad said no, crawl on my back and I will take you, going as far as I can. So he carried Camp with all his equipment eleven miles before he stopped. It was my pleasure to meat Camp Lynch at Camchester, Kansas in 1902 and he told me that Bob saved his life. He also told me about saving Dad's life when they were boys. It seems they were going to swim in the Platt River. The water deeper that dad had thought for and he went under a second time and Camp jumped in and saved him. Soon after dad surrender, he came home.

His father (Frank Thompson) had a black slave woman called, Amerious. I guess she was strong and sturdy. In those days nearly every body used spring water. Amerious would carry two bucket of water and one of those old fashion 3 gallon wooden bucket and churns on the top of her head. Those old wooden churns had a big flat bottom and were tapered at the top. Well dad waked into the garden at the back yard as the old black was coming from the spring. She dropped the bucket, churn and water and made for him. Hugged and kissed him and cried with joy. The old soul lived to be over a hundred years old. Grandpa Thompson brought her a little house in St Joseph. When I was a small boy, I heard dat to mother. I went to see old Amerious when he was in St Joseph. I gave her twenty dollars. This was done quite often. After I have grown older, I have often regretted I never got to see his dear old back woman that was so faithful in helping to raise the Thompson children. Aunt Lynda, dad half sister was also vary kind to her.

After dad came home from the war, St Joseph become a starting point for wagon train headed west. Lots of them to Helena, Montana. Camp Lynch organized one and of course dad had to go.

They used mules to pull wagon and old (one) gray mare with a bell on her to keep mules together when grazing at night. Dad tried driving off a while, but said he sot so sleepy he as miserable and took a job as night herder for the mules. Yes, Indians were bothering some, so one had to be on the alert. Dad said one night something reared up in front of the mules he was riding. The mule frightened and started back to the wagon on the dead run. Dad used his pistol to fire at something or whatever it was. So bell mare and mule all converged on wagon and all hands scrambled for gun. Quite a little excitement for a while. They finally decoded it was a bear and all calmed down.

Dad spent quite a lot of time around Helen and got a job as hunter to supply to telephone crew with meat. He use a sharp repeating rifle. One day he was going up a ravine in the mountain and a bunch of Elks were there. He killed four of them before they got away. So had meat enough to do the crews for sometime. I wonder how many of my great nephews could like his job. Some of you may wonder what wagon trains hauled. They hauled every thing necessities like sugar, floor and all kinds of groceries. Small tools such as axes, saws, hammers, nails, stoves, clothing and I guess hard liquor. Anyway it took a lot of such things to keep a country growing until the rail road comes built through.

Dad returned from the west and heard that mother was married and took up their abode on the 80 acres, as I mentioned previously. They lived here for thirty years finally added another 80 acres to the farm. Dad had been wanting to come to Exhume for some time, but mother did not want to leave Missouri as long as her mother were there. After their deaths, she was then willing to come. So on the night July 29, 1900 Harry and I with John Thompson, our cousin started out with two covered wagon and five horses to the promise land.

We camp the first night near Leona, Kansas. A couple of real estate men came by and wanted to know why we were coming to Oklahoma when we could by land near Hynatha, Kansas that would produce 25 bushels corn and 75 bushels of oats to the acre. Well Harry had just graduated the law school and showed off his talent by saying we had a brother in Oklahoma who wheat made 40 bushel, his corn 75 bushels and his oats 100 bushels. The real estate man looked short of dumb founded and said, well, son you win. Just keeping going down this road. Cousin John sure got a laugh out of it. The first night dad and I slept in one wagon. The horses keeping shaking the wagon so dad could not sleep so every now and then we would crawl out and give the horses a little shelled corn.

By morning he had them all stuffed and by noon several of them were sick. One was badly foundered and we had to leave him with on old friend near Effingham, Kansas. Cousin John got many a laugh out of dad. In the morning at camp dad would get up and say, "Boys get up and get out this Hell fired hole, so we camped in the Flint Hill on one of the high points. John said, "I wonder what Uncle Bob would say in the morning. Sure enough, he said the same thing.

On August 17 , we drove to Art's place south of Yukon about sundown. In about a week, dad came out with Uncle Joe and bought the half section of land for $5,900. So it was dad and mother bought their last home and lived there until they passed on and are resting in Calumet Cemetery.

In conclusion a word got about my experience into Oklahoma Legislature. In the year 1922 a group of radical politician came into Oklahoma and forced an organization and rather took over control of the Democratic Party I felt it was a bad deal. So decided to file for Representative.

I was not to well known and had but little money to spend. However I won the nomination with only $10.00 expense. Jack Walton was elected Governor and was the most radical one we have ever heard or had. I was not long until he was issuing pardons and paroles also began to interfere with the courts. People all over the state were aroused.

So I decided to do something. Several friends and I wrote a call to get legislature to gather for investigating purpose. We found that from $50 to $10,000 were paid to lawyers for pardons and paroles. When we asked these lawyers if they give any money to the Governor. They plead the fifth amendment. We took his a evidence of guilt. So on October 25, 1923, the first impeachment of a governor took place.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

A lot more could be written, but I will close at this point. Hope those lives will be of interest to all of you and that you may keep them for some time.

Another item of interest was the change over after the Civil war. Bitter feelings existed every were and forgiveness was a slow process.

In the first election after the war, grandpa Young was the only democrat to cast a vote (ballot) in Benton Township in Holt County, Missouri. There was no such thing as a secret ballot then. Grandpa's ballot was taken out and nailed up at the polling place for everyone to look at. It was a straight democratic ticket. I do not know how much schooling grandpa had, but he was a smart, sweet, dignified old fellow and most people liked him.

In a few years he was elected Justice of the Peace in Benton Township. He only lived in Iowa two years. But was elected Justice up there. Then in 1888, he was elected state representative from Holt County to the Missouri Legislator and I think the first democrat elected from that county. He ran for reelection but was defeated. The story was told on him that he and another old fellow in order to cut down expenses, he maintained bachelor quarter and grandpa did the cooking and he was a very good cook.

I have never seen anyone that could make as good chicken dumpling as he and grand mother, Grandpa remained a staunch democrats all of his life. His son, Robert, after moving to Dodge City, Kansas, joined the republican party. Uncle Bob's daughter, Ernice was a most beautiful scribe and held a job in a recorder's office and her beautiful work was admired by every one. All recording was done by hand.

Uncle Bob son, Earl, was elected County Clerk of Ford County, Kansas on the Republican ticket and held the office for 52 years straight. Earl was an expert Drummer and beat the drum to march children out of school at Dodge City. I was elected representative in Oklahoma in 1923. Grandpa Earl and I were the only one of our family ever to be elected to office. I have been interested in politics ever since I was 3 year old.

In 1884 when Grover Cleveland was nominated for president, dad was feeling blue about the prospect of the election and said to mother. I don't believe the democrats will ever elect another president. Dad was deaf. Se we had to talk in his ear. I ran to him, put my chubby arms around his neck and said to him, oh yes, they will daddy. Cleveland will be elected. I was not quite 3 years old then, but felt real proud I had foretold the election of the first democratic president elected after the civil war.

Another item of interest I might mention to the Andrew Meyer family, Andrew was Maud's grand father. Some of his land joined the Young property. Andrew came to Missouri a few years before the Young's did in fact he was there when gold was discovered in California in 1849. Andrew outfitted a covered wagon and drove of oxen across the prairie. I think it took him three months to make the trip. He started prospecting with considerable success and in a year time had accumulated about $9,000 in gold dust and nuggets.

When he decided to journey back home, some of the men he had worked with wanted to know if he was going to drive his oxen back. If so they wanted to ride back with him. He told them that he was and they could ride with him. But instead, Andrew was a little smarter than they were though for: He told them driving to San Francisco to buy some things he needed. He figured those fellows would get him far out on the prairie and kill him and take his gold and oxen too. He sold his oxen and wagon in San Francisco, boarded a ship and sailed around Cape Horn to New York City. He then went to Washington, D.C. and had his gold coined into 5, 10 and 20 dollars gold pieces. He put his gold into a canvas bag in shape of a large belt, which he wore underneath his clothing next to his skin. He wore it so long it made callouses on his skin the marks of which stayed for a long time.

After coming back to Missouri, he entered 161 acres of land for each of his children. I think there were 12 all together. John Thompson bought the place that belonged to Robert Meyer and Frances, still farm it. Robert married a Virginia girl and built the home to suit her wishes. The ceiling were all fourteen feet high and were still that way when I saw it a few years ago.

Most of the Meyer family are gone from Missouri. I think two of Henry's boys, living near John's Place passed away recently. Andrew Meyer was quite noted for having a secret prayer he repeated for the purpose of stopping the flow of blood on the injured person or animals. Uncle Norrel Jasper was driving a mowing machine to an Orchard near our place. He fell off the sickle, cut his hand off. Frank Hurst was and rode a fast horse over to Uncle Andy's to stop the blood. Everyone says the blood stopped at the time he got to him. However, Uncle Merrel held his arm with his hand and Aunt Kitty put a tourniquet on anyway.

Uncle Horrel got airtight. Another time his son, Marvin, got a several fingers cut off in a binder. Tom Long and Uncle Andy were present at the time. Tom told me the blood stopped instantly. The rule of his little prayer was he could divulge the secret to one other person by word of mouth. It never was to be put in print or writing. Tom told me his grand father gave it to him. Tom gave it to me. About the last time he was in Oklahoma. I was tempted to write it in this script, but on second thought decided it would not be fair to Mr Meyer who seemed to have explicit faith in it. I never have tried it out so I can's know if I have the power.

The fact is I am afraid not.

Mr Meyer was quite prosperous. He was born in Baden, Baden County, Germany. Was a close friend of a Mr Cudshay who came to America about the same time Cudahay established a packing plant in Omaha, Nebraska. Mr Meyer fed Beeves (beef) for him on special rations. Using liberal quantities of brown sugar which was cheap in these days. Cudahay always paid him premium prices. He always fed a turkey gobbler for Mr Cudahay, Thanksgiving. The contract was that he as to get one dollar per pound. It always weight 50 pounds or more.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

More about Missouri Farm

The filling of the ice house was always an interesting events. We had a farm pond with fish in it and did allow farm animals to use the pond as a precaution to keep water as clean a possible. In winter when the ice froze to 6 or 8 inches thick, we would fill the ice house. Our was a dug out. With a wood shed build over it. Ice was hauled on bobsleds. Ice was sawed into blocks two feet wide and three feet long. It was placed in dug-out and packed in good clean straw. This was our cooling system. There was no such thing as refrigerators then and no ice plants with plenty of milk and ice cream was made most anytime you wanted.

Our first way of making it was to take two buckets. One large and one small. We placed the small bucket inside the large bucket. Then fill in between with crushed ice and salt. We would then take the bail off small bucket and twist it back and forth. Ever so often we would take the lid off small bucket and scrape frozen cream off with a long knife. It was a little tedious but tasted good. Then came the day of freezer you turned with a crank. Then is when we thought we were getting close to perfecting. When watermelon time came a lot of ripe ones were placed on the ice and in a few days were cold and delicious.

Now I think of when Harry had a close call with death. He took the old muzzle loading shot gun and was slipping upon ducks in the pond. He had both hammer up on the gun. In some way one hammer went off accidently, the gun kicked back out of his hand and the other went off with muzzle of the gun against his side. So close it set his coat on fire. He came home white as a sheet and very nervous. He told me what had happened and of course told me not to tell mother. We never did, but it was surely a very close call. Frank Hurst, dad nephew, came and made his home with us when a small boy. He stayed with us until he married.

I think he (Frank Hurst) was on hand when each one of us boys was born and of course had to go and get Mrs George Thomas to help bring us into the world. We were fond of him and remained that way until he died in 1931.

He saved Leslie from drowning one time. They were swimming in a pond and Leslie got into deep water and went down two time. Frank got him out and revived him. First thing Leslie said was, Do not tell mother.

Apple time was another glorious time. We had about twelve different varieties of apple. When ripe, we would store a wagon lead in the cellar. We had a older mill with lots of older apples. Always had older and sliced apples in a big copper kettle out doors. When seasoned with cinnamon and nutate, it was a most delicious food.

It was not too hard to keep a family in good health with plenty of hog meat. Dad was always killing plenty of wild ducks, quail and geese in season, Dad was deaf when his children were growing up and of course missed hearing a lot of things we said.

He would go to town about every two weeks and most of the time would bring home delicious candy. He always manage to keep the candy. Bob, dad never failed to get a big laugh out of it and Art always seemed to be his favorite and was making a home for his mother when they died.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

Sixty years in Oklahoma

When we bought our home in Oklahoma in August 1900, there was a good sized family on nearby farm. We had no telephone service until 1907 and of course we visit with our neighbors a little more often, so we came here. I went to an entertainment in the old Rock Church. It was a little late when I arrived. Mrs Edd Zeigler and Madge were singing a duet that I shall never forget. The Chorus was: It was not my father that did the bad deed. It was the whisky that suddenly saddened his brain. Mrs Ziegler was a lovely musician and after I purchase a mandolin, I learned to play 2nd with her and Mr Ziegler who played the violin.

Then sometimes Uncle Jake and Aunt Ethel Leske and Charlie Tuston with his base violin would get together and many happy hours were passed away. Soon after with Elwood Denny and Lawence Kirchuier and played for lots of dances. John Himen and I also payed for a good many. John is still living and plays for dances, however he and I have not played together for a long time.

Some of the good souls that helped to make our state what it is were the good old pioneer women who were always willing to help out in case needy when sickness and death occurred and when babies were born.

One of these most called upon was Mrs J. H. Wallace. Who was a favorite helper of Dr J. A. Hatchet. She served most people in our community. Charles Tustison was about the only one who had a buggy. He was most always called upon to go and get Mrs Wallace. His buggy was old and the wheels had rattling spokes that made a rhythm of sound. Mrs Wallace would hear this buggy coming down the road in middle of the night and she knew she was going to be called upon and made hast to be ready with first aid kit by the time Charlie would get to the door sometimes when the rhythm sound was vary fast. She would know there was an emergency. Then she would rouse some of the family to help her to get ready. I think the monument to Pioneer Women erected at Pence City by Governor Marland was a very worthy tribute to those dear old women. We had not been here long until a great group of Indians came along in wagon. All of a sudden flag signal were flashed and all wagon stopped a pow-wow was held. Two of the wagon were stopped near the schoolhouse and hurriedly erected a tent (teepee). VA big black kettle was filled with water and heated. I did not now until next day what was taking place. An Indian baby was born by the side of the road.

This custom of Indian was soon as a baby was born to open the door of teepee and the baby was named after the first thing the Mother saw. It also happened that in a big cottonwood tree was a hawk nest. I learned the baby was named Eagle Nest. I do not know if Nellie Englenest, who was known chosen Indian Princess at Anadarke Indian pair were related to this baby or not. Anyway, in about 4 hours it was all over and Indians wagon were on their way.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

Fun with a sense of Humor

When dad was a boy he had some lovely old neighbors by the name of Pine. Mr pine spoke to dad and a group of his boy friends about cradling seven acres of Oats. The boys said, alright. We will be over in the morning and do the job.

However the night was a beautiful noon lighted night and the boys went over and cradle, bound and shocked the oats. By morning, they had finished. They waited until Mr and Mrs Pine had lit their lamp. Then the boys all gathered over the house and began whetting their cradles with long whetstones and made a terrible racket. Mr Pine said to his wife. What on earth is happening out there. Then rushed out in the year. They boys then said, Mr Pine are the oats you wanted cradled. Mr Pine said, I will go with you and show you. One of the boys hung back and whispered to Mrs Pine to cook some delicious corn cakes and that they would be right back to eat them. Well it was a sight for sore eyes to see the look of astonishment on the old man face when he saw his oats all harvested. They all went back to the house and had a glorious time eating corn cakes with sorghum molasses with butter, coffee and butter milk. The boys never charged the old neighbor a dime. Their hearts were filled with a spirit of love and laughs. That stayed with them as long as they lived perhaps went a long ways in making good citizen. That in the long run was more precious then silver or gold. I met a goodly number of those boys when they were old men. They were the kind that were loved by everyone

. I have mentioned before that dad met up with Frank and Jessie James when in Confederate Army. A short time before Jessie was killed in St Joseph, Missouri, he rented a vacant house about two miles from our home in Missouri. He had a pal with him and they bought beeves and butchered and peddle the meat to the farmers. They came to our place and dad bought some beef of them.. In a few weeks, Jessie was shot and killed by Robert Ford in St Joseph. A picture was taken of him after he was dead. It was published in St Joseph Gazette. Dad kept this paper for may years and I remember seeing it after I grew up. I was only three months old when it happened. Many rumors have been circulated that it was not Jessie James that was killed but some other one. However, when dad saw the picture he was sure it was Jessie.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

Added History of the Young Family

The subject of letter writing may be of interest to many of you. Of all the family, Uncle Bob Young was tops in lettering writing. When he moved to Dodge City he always made it a point to write to home folks. Quite often, in those days he always made it a point to write to home folks. Quite often in those days mail only come when someone went to town so neighbors would bring each other mail when they went to town.

Many times I would be in Grandpa Young's home when Uncle bob's letters would come. They were always enjoyed by the whole family. Uncle Bob was a good scribe and used a the beautiful Spenserian system. He also had a sweet sense of humor which brought laughter and smiles to all of us. One occasion I remember he was telling about his son Earl school work he says, "that boy can make figures as fast as hens can pick up corn". Grandpa give a big laugh and said I am going out and feed hens and see just how fast Earl can figure. Uncle Bob was very vivid in his writing of what he saw and heard. I always though he would have a wonderful newspaper man if he had chosen that as his calling.

I believe we would all derive a lot of pleasure in life by filling some letters of our special loved ones away as keepsakes. I have several letter of Dot Jasper's. I prize them very much. I did have some of Uncle Bob but in looking for them failed to fine them. I remember of getting one from Aunt Kitty over 50 years ago. I am sorry now I did not deep it. Aunt Kitty did not write many letters. These are small things. But they go a long ways in developing a love and follow able that makes older life worth while.

Uncle Joe and Uncle Young spent considerable time in our home. Which was a lot of pleasure to all of us. Joe was more or less a rover. He tried to farm in Kansas. One farm near Liberal and I think the other near Sweetwater. Then he came to El Reno, Oklahoma and bought a farm. He and Uncle Ben bought land near Ahawnee. Then Uncle Joe moved out to Pcetables, New Mexico. Then he bought land near Tampico, Old Mexico. I guess it was good land. But when his estate was settled nothing was ever done about it so I guess it went back to the government for taxes.

Uncle Joe and Ben wound up living together in National City, California. Uncle Joe fell and broke his hip and Uncle Ben took care of him until he recovered. Then in 1923, Uncle Joe died. Both are buried in cemetery at National City, California. We used to teas them about love affairs. Uncle Joe confined that he was in love with a very sweet girl, but she died and that he never loved another. Uncle Ben seem to like a girl in Missouri. But some how they never quite got the deal through. To these who never know them. I will say we all loved them very much.

Bottom of Page
Top of Page

A Legislative Experience

In the legislature of 1923. There was what was know as the committee of 21 members, most of them were men from North Dakota and not members of the legislature. They were writing all sorts of bills creating a lot of useless jobs which would not do the state any good at all. The main desire was to build a hugh political machine that would be a disgrace to the state. They had the legislature eating out of their hand and were putting their bill over. I took it upon myself to oppose them as much as possible with very little success. Until one day they had a bill creating a lot of useless jobs. The committee of 21 was in the gallery looking down on us with great satisfaction. I offered amendment which they promptly voted down. When a do pass motion was made.

I got recognition from the speaker and made the following speech: Ladies and gentleman, This is another committee of 21 bills. It is a strange thing to me that a group of intelligent men will follow this group so blindly as we are doing. It is strange thing we vote down amendment it seems, without any thought at all. Then I pointed to the galleries and said, there is your committee of 21 hanging on the railing waiting for us to arrest more useless jobs. Then I said you can rake hell and skin the ocean and you could not fine a bunch would create more jobs and do the state of Oklahoma less good. They raised up to remind me of a flash of buzzards circling over a cow camp waiting for the awful. At that point, something funny happened. A young lady who was journal clerk was leaning back in her chair with her feet on the railing at front of the lectern when I made the remarks about buzzards, she give a shriek and kicked the railing a little to hard and went over backwards. Her foot went Straight up in the air and her dress went down. She presented to most vivid displayed of nylon stocking you ever saw. And Of corse the man near her rushed up to help her on her feet. Well pandemonium broke loose and the whole house and galleries broke loose and cheered. Believe me or not, that speech broke the committee of 21 and from then on my power increased until the newspaper designated me as one of the 10 most strongest men of all the legislature.

The house consisted of 107 men.

Price Thompson

Please provide any suggestions and/or questions to: webservant

Return to last page for additional letters.

Return to Family Homepage

Copyright Seachord Enterprises - Plano, Texas 2000

Last Update: April 5, 2000

Top of Page