I began this database not long after Christmas 2002, and it currently has over 2000 names listed. It is far from complete, and probably never will be, so if you see any omissions or mistakes, please let me know. I have tried to avoid making links between people unless I have firm evidence, so you may well find duplications.
There are many variations of the spelling of the Sproston name, and even for the same individual the spelling may vary from census to census. Sprosons become Sprostons and vice versa, so the spelling a particular branch of the family wound up with may have been very much pot luck. But when is a Sproston not a Sproston? Is Sproxton (for example) another variation, or a name in it's own right? This is very difficult to decide, so I have only included those variants which I am fairly certain relate to the original Sproston name.
Not all of the available information is actually in the database, as I have tried to avoid having too much 'unlinked' data e.g. just a death date, or a marriage. I have listed this information separately, however, for use as a resource. To follow is an idea of what IS in the datase:
- ALL Sprostons/Sprosons/Sprowsons/Sprosens/Sprossons/Sprossens listed on the 1901 UK census (NB I used the 1901 census decoder to do this, which gives groups but not family relationships. These are therefore assumed, and I apologise if I have listed nieces as daughters or uncles as fathers. Looking up every family in 1901 would have incurred more expense than I can bear at present!)
- ALL Sprostons etc listed on the 1881 UK census (but I am aware that some people who should appear in 1881 are missing, probabaly due to mistranscription of the name - I have found Sprostons listed as Spriston, Spraston, Storoson, Spronson, and just Spr...). A list of those who I feel should appear on the 1881 census and can't be traced is here.
- ALL Sprostons etc from the 1851 Northwich area and Congleton area Cheshire censuses
- ALL Sprostons from the 1851 Warwickshire census.
- ALL Sprostons from the 1851 and 1861 Dudley census.
- ALL Sprostons etc from the 1880 US census.
- ALL Sprostons listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site as having been killed in action in any war.
The rest have come from information I have been sent by Sproston researchers (thanks in particular to Helen, Dan, Christopher, Barbara, Henry, Mark, Derek, Allyson, Cora, Roger, Gordon, Jeanne, Marcia) and look-up exchange members (especial thanks to Sherry Landa, Christine Abram, Gus Tysoe, Pat Spode), and just general information found on the internet (where would we be without it!).