Originally Named Ebenezer Baptist, Established 1828
The Newnan Herald, Friday, February 27, 1925
SOME BAPTIST HISTORY---Ebenezer Church
Ebenezer church, 8 miles east of Newnan, on the Fayetteville Road, was constituted June 10, 1828, with 11 members, viz: William M. Stokes, William H. Stokes, Joel Nicholls, Berry Waldrop, Jane Stokes, Anna b. Stokes, Sarah Nickolls and Patsy Davis (white), Stokesí Lucy, Stokesí Amy, Davisí Violet, and Pennís Charity (colored). Rev. John Wood and Rev. James Reeves were present.
The church sustained a great loss Nov 18, 1843 in the death of Wm. M. Stokes.
The pastors were Rev. John Wood, 4 years; Rev. Moses Kelley, 1; Rev. J. G. Fry, 7; Rev. G. B. Davis, 6; Rev. H. Posey, 1; Rev. N. A Williams, 2; Rev. James Rainwater, 1; Rev. John Corley, 4; Rev. W. W. Davis, 2; Rev. J. S. Dodd, 9; Rev. J. W. Moore, 1; Rev. J. C. Camp, 5, Rev. R. E. Pitman, 9; Rev. J. B. S. Davis, 5; Rev. J. A. Munday, 1; Rev. R. C. Rhodes, 11; Rev. F. J. Dodd, 1; Rev. W. A. Davis, 7; Rev. T. M. Hammond, 1; Rev. R. M. Stevens, 5; Rev. E. C. Smith, 4; Rev. Amos Turner, 3; Rev. F. J. Amis, 4.
The church is at its second location now. In its early history it was prosperous, but no small in membership and in interest.
The church received by baptism one year 57 members. It is the oldest church in Coweta county holding membership in the Western Association, Macedonia church was constituted Aug 28, 1827, but withdrew from the association for one year.
William M. Stokes, a Virginia, possessed sterling qualities, and was a man of high integrity and honor, serving as clerk and deacon. Mrs. Jane Stokes, whose third husband was Rev. Humphrey Posey, (a Baptist minister, faithful and distinguished) gave liberally to the endowment of Mercer University.
Many of our forefathers of Coweta County had membership in Ebenezer Church, of who we are justly proud. F. J. Amis
Copyright 2004 by Dianne Wood
If you have any questions or comments regarding this website, please email Dianne