TOSLAND, FRANCES PEARL nee ROBINSON
Pearl Robinson was born on 29 April 1906 at Okato, the daughter of William Herbert Robinson and Frances nee Hopkinson.
In 1923 she married Harry Tosland at Opunake and they moved to the top of the Inaha Hill, where Pearl lived for almost fifty years.
She was president of the Tokaora Patriotic Society during World War Two and in that time, she convened the Women's War Service Auxiliary, with a particular interest in the land girl service. During the war years, she and Miss Edna Washer (now Wills) organised regular entertainment afternoons at the Carlton Tearooms in Hawera for the women of the NZ Women's Land Service.
Pearl was a president of the women's section of the Hawera Branch of the National Party and foundation president of the South Taranaki RSA Women's Section. She was also president of the Manaia sub-centre of the Red Cross, and was a lifelong supporter of the Manaia Presbyterian Church.
In the Women's Division of Federated Farmers, Pearl was the first secretary of the Tokaora branch, and held the office of President for 25 years. She became South Taranaki Provincial President for 21 years and was made a Life Member of the South Taranaki Provincial in 1958. She was also a life member of the Tokaora branch. In 1960 she was made a Dominion Member of Honour.
In 1962 when she retired from office as South Taranaki Provincial President of WDFF, she
was described as "mother" of the organisation, and her influence, moulding the movement in South Taranaki, would be felt for many years. She was a "quiet everyday type" of woman who commanded immense respect.
Pearl Tosland died on 29 July 1973 at Hawera and is buried at the Hawera cemetery.
Obituary "Hawera Star" 1 Aug 1973
Alec Tosland (Son) and Linda Neil (granddaughter)