SHAND - Some Notices of the surname of SHAND, particularly of the County of Aberdeen
By Rev George Shand
PART EIGHT - APPENDIX.
Ecclesiastics of the name noticed in the Text.
“Johannes de Campo” Prebendary of Turriff in the Cathedral of Aberdeen. We find this ecclesiastic subscribing a deed as mentioned, p10, within the quire of the Cathedral, 20th Dec 1454; “Ego Johannes de Campo, Prebendarius de Torreff consentio et subscribo” to a grant of a piece of land to the “Capellanus” of Westhall, by the Bishop Ingeramas (Ingraham Lindsay)
“Robertus Schand, Vicarius de Potary” – P11
“Robertus Schawnd, Vicarius de Cowle” – P11
“Robertus Schand, Rector de Alves; Chaplain od the Altar in the church of St Nicholas, Aberdeen. – P13
POST REFORMATION PERIOD
For dates etc we are indebted to Scott’s Fasti Ecclesie Scotticanae.
John Shand, MA, was laureated at the University and King’s College, Aberdeen, 30th April 1663; admitted to Premnay prior to 9th Oct 1677. He gave £20 towards repairing the buildings of King’s College, 13th June 1688, and died in March 1704, aged about 71. He married Jean Panton who survived him, and had a son, the Rev. James Shand, Minister of Kintore, and two daughters, Mary and Janet.
Alexander Shand, MA of King’s College, Aberdeen, 21 June 1694; ordained to Glenbucket, 10 May 1704; removed to Insch in 1708; and died in 1719, aged about 45.
James Shand, son of Mr John Shand, Minister of Premnay, ordained 29 March 1709, to Kemnay; removed to Kintore, 1718; died 1726, in his 48th year. He married Barbara Leith and had two sons and a daughter, George, Thomas and Margaret.
William Shand, MA, of Marischal College and University 1761; ordained in 1768 as assistant to the Rev James Howe, minister of Newhills; presented to Lumphanan in 1772, died in 1826, in his 87th year. He married in 1770, Margaret, daughter of the preceding incumbent, and had two daughters, Rachhel, who married Mr Hugh Low, Merchant in Aberdeen, and Margaret, the wife of Harry Lamond Esq. Of Pitmurchie.
John Shand, M.A. of Marischal College and University, 1771; ordained to Kemnay 28 April 1779, removed to Logie Dorno, now Chapel of Garioch, in 1787, and thence to Kintore in 1799; died 11 Jan 1833, in his 79th year. He married in 1784, Margaret, daughter of the Revd. Francis Dauney, Minister of Banchory-Ternan.
James Shand, M.A. of Marischal College and University, Aberdeen, 1777; ordained to the Greyfriars’ Church, Aberdeen 11 May 1791; removed to Marykirk, formerley Aberluthnot, in 1805; died 5th Jan 1837, in his 80th year.
1567 Alexander Schand, Reider, Kynnedwart. – P15
1718 Mr John Shand, Preacher. – P31.
In the Episcopal Church in Scotland there were, we believe, clergymen of the name in the last century at Arradoul and Fochabers.
Ommitted on the first page of Appendix, amongst Pre-Reformation Ecclesiastics, “Dominus Alexander Schand” p 12.
George Shand, Lord Provost of Aberdeen, 1764-1766 and 1770-1772, of the family of the Rev James Shand of Kintore, (supra p58 and App.); died Oct 1792. He was married to Margaret Gordon, second dau of Sir Francis Gordon of Lesmoir, by his wife, Henrietta, 2nd dau of William Fraser, second Lord Saltoun. There is a marble tablet to her memory on the east wall of the vault of the Gordons of Kinnellar, in the churchyard of Frazerburgh.
In the Gentleman’s Magazine for 1814 the death of Robert Shand in the north of Scotland is mentioned. He was as admirable pedestrian and had chosen an employment entirely in accordance with his specialite, viz., that of Postrunner. In this he shewed his wisdom, for he lived till he was 86 years of age.
The Shands had at least four places of burial in connection with St Nicholas Parish Church and Churchyard in Aberdeen; one as we have seen, in the old Quire, now forming the East Church; another, nearly opposite the south door of the West Church, the old Nave, a short way in the grass; and two others, contiguous, on the left hand side of the centre walk, about half-way, going from Union Street to Drum’s Aisle. In the Cathedral Churchyard the places of Sepulture of Families of the name are believed to be at least as numerous.
NB – AS THE PAGINATION IS LOST WITH THE INTERNET THE FOLLOWING NOTES FROM THE APPENDIX HAVE BEEN ADDED TO THE TEXT IN THE RELEVANT AREA.
P2 - “De Campo” with reference to the theory that this was an early Latin forrn of the name;, it may be noted that the ancient Border Family of Schaw were in Latin De Chatto or Shatto)
P9 - Provost Gilbert Menzies’Secretary: - The immediately preceding Provost, Thomas Menzies, had for his “servand”, “Maister Johne Fulisurd, sumtyme ane quhitt freir in Aberdene,” who “departit” 20th May 1576. – Book of Bon-Accord, p45.
P21 - William Blackhall in the University of Bromberrie. – See Spalding Club Ed. Of the Trubles, ii, 281; and Sp. Club Miscel, v, 330.)
P 32 - Defective state of parochial records; to give another instance – Gilbert Hervie, the well-known citizen, and Baron of Elrick and Monycabbock (new Machar), who was heavily fined by General Middleton in 1640, for his Royalist proclivities (See Spalding’s Trubles and Book of Bon-Accord) was married to a lady named “Annas” or “Annie Lawson”, an old and leading surname of the town. They had a family of sons and daughters, several of whom are duly recorded in the register of births, but three of the four daughters, who ultimately succeded to their father’s property, on the death of their only brother (Thomas) who survived his father, do not appear in that record. Yet Gilbert was not only one of the “Sessioners” (Members of the Kirk Session) but he was “Collector for the Kirk Session”, and with Mr Walter Menzies was a “Searcher for idle people on the Lord’s Day.” These two Searchers had special seats provided for them in the church. – Records of Burgh of Aberdeen, Sp. Club, 1643-1747 p80. Gilbert Hervie was commonly designated ‘elder’ to distinguish him from another member of the same family, Gilbert Hervie younger, who was married to a lady named “Jeine Petrie” and had a family. There can, we believe, be no doubt that Kennedy is right when he says “the register (of marriages, baptisms, and burials) was kept with some degree of method and apparent correctness till the year 1592; but after this period, we have to remark that the same accuracy and attention have not been observed in bringing forward a record of so much importance, both in a public and private point of view.” The registers of births (baptisms) from 1623 to 1631, are missing. It is but right to state that the other children of Gilbert Hervie may have been inscribed in them, and it must not be forgotten that the times latterly were very “troublous” and specially so for Aberdeen.
P40 - Margaret Jameson, wife of Thomas Schand, may have been a sister of the Painter or connected with his family. His parents, Andrew Jameson and Marjorie Anderson, were married in August, 1585, and their daughter Elizabeth, the only one of their children whose birth is recorded, was born in July, 1586. – Book of Bon-Accord p134.)
P50 - Dr Joseph Robertson, in his admirable Book of Bon-Accord, thus refers to the unfortunate conflagration: - “All the ancient records of the Commissary or Consistorial Court perished by a lamentable fire on the 30th October, 1721. Legislative enactments (8th Geo. I, cap. 27 and 9th Geo. I, cap. 25) in some measure provided for the injuries which the loss might occasion to the legal rights of the parties: but, alas! what can supply the more grievous hurt which the gentle lovers of antiquity sustained in the destruction of a treasure so inestimable, so rich in illustrations of genealogy, ecclesiastical history, biography, old manners, forgotten usages, and scandal – fascinating scandal – delightful although obsolete, and only then innoccent.” – p303..
P52 - George Gordon. From the names of the witnesses and godfatehrs at the family christenings, it is more probable that George Gordon was of the Birsemore Gordons, who, like the elder family of the same branch, the Gordons of Cluny, often resided in Old Aberdeen. The first Laird of Cluny (they were subsequently Baronets) was Alexander Gordon, third son of Alexander, third Earl of Huntly.
P20, 63, 73 - In the churchyard of Banff (near Hossack’s monument) is a very old tombstone with the inscription in raised characters: - “Heir lyes William Schand in Barnehill. Isbel Lame,” (Isabella Lamb.) – See page 20, 1641 and 1644. These may have been the parents of Wm. Shand, Auchmedden, Abewrdour. – . They were certainly of the same family.)
William Shand, Gentleman of the Horse to the Earl of Dundonald, was in 1716, admitted a Burgess of Guild of Glasgow. – Craigellie Papers. He was probably of the Auchmedden Shands.
P74 - “Tiftie’s Bonnie Annie.” In some editions of the Ballad, Wm. Smith, the father of the hapless damsel, is described as “Farmer and Miller of Mill of Tiftie.” This apparently is meant to show that, looking to his own position in life, he was quite reasonable in rejecting the suit of the gallant Trumpeter. But without venturing to entertain so delicate a question, far less to decide it, there would appear to be more than one mistake involved here. In the first place, the farmer, Wm. Smith, was not himself the miller. That office was held by a servant, “Gilbert Pratt.” – Poll Book of Aberdeenshire. In the next place, at the period in question, half of the best farms in Aberdeenshire, apart from crofts (and a “Mill-Toun” was proverbially a highly advantageous possession) were in the hands of the sons and near connections of the gentry. The name “Pratt” often spelt “Prott” is one of the old surnames of the district. It has produced some eminent men, among whom no one who is acquainted with his charming book, “Buchan,” the history of his native district, will fail to rank the late Rev. J.B.Pratt, Episcopal clergyman of Cruden.
FAMILIES I AM RESEARCHING | MISCELLANEOUS GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH |NEW ZEALAND DISASTERS AND TRAGEDIES | NEW ZEALAND AND WORLD WAR ONE | NEW ZEALAND ROLLS OF HONOUR – BY LOCATION | NEW ZEALAND ROLLS OF HONOUR – BY CONFLICT | NEW ZEALAND ROLLS OF HONOUR – MILITARY NURSES | PAKEHA/MAORI TRANSLITERATIONS |PASSENGER LISTS TO NEW ZEALAND | SHAND – FAMILY HISTORY | SPONDON, DERBYSHIRE, ENGLAND | TE PUKE, BAY OF PLENTY, NEW ZEALAND | WOMEN OF SOUTH TARANAKI