LYSAGHT, FRANCES CHARLOTTE nee GARDINER
Frances Gardiner was born in 1828 at Childerton, near Amesbury, on the Wiltshire-Hampshire border. She was the daughter of Colonel Charles Gardiner and Harriet nee Plunket.
In 1849, Frances married James Richard Lysaght at Walcot Church, Bath. The couple had ten children. Of these ten, nine survived and accompanied their parents when they travelled to New Zealand on board the Crusader in 1872. They reached Lyttelton in January 1873.
After living in Canterbury for some time the Lysaghts moved to South Taranaki in 1876. They bought 500 acres of farm land and leased another 2000 acres. The family lived at Mokoia in a substantial homestead, built from rimu which was reputed to have been milled at Manutahi, a few miles further south.
Frances Lysaght died at Mokoia on the 15 September 1907. She was buried at the Hawera cemetery.
As a memorial to her husband James, who had died in 1899, Frances had St James' Anglican Church at Mokoia built. This church was demolished in 1992, and much of the material and stained glass windows, are now incorporated in the extension of St Mary's Anglican Church, Hawera, creating a large foyer and offices.
Frances was grandmother to Dr Averil Lysaght.
Noeline Barkla, Hawera (great granddaughter)