Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

MATERNITY HOMES OF SOUTH TARANAKI

 

Before the Hawera Hospital Board purchased St Elmo Boarding House in High Street (opposite Tower Ford, and since demolished) in 1946 to provide temporary maternity hospital accomodation , there were many private maternity homes operating in the area.

 

Nurse Harvey's Taranaki Nursing Home           Victoria Street Hawera 1910+

Nurse Jenkins                                                   Patea                           1912+

Mrs Leigh                                                         Manaia                         1912+

Nurse Norman                                                 Princes St Hawera        1912+

Nurse Waldin                                                   Victoria Street Hawera  1911+

Nurse Whiting                                                  South Road Hawera                 1913+

Nurse McHugh                                              "The Bungalow" Manaia            1913+

Nurse E A Wills                                                                                               1925+

Nurse Carmichael's Nursing Home                    Milmoe Street Hawera              1925

Nurse Wilkinson's "Mauri Ora" Private Maternity Home Disreali St Hawera      1925

Dr Davies Private Hospital                                Manaia                                     1927

Nurse Gomer                                                   Nolantown                               1924

Nurse Merrie's Private Hospital                                    Manaia                                     1925

Nurse Brown                                                    65 Wilson St Hawera               1926

Nurse Yorke's Mt View Maternity Hospital Cameron Street Hawera                1936

Craigholme Private Hospital (Nurse Harvey & Dr W F Buist) Fairfield Rd Hawera

Dr Saunders "Mt View" Private Hospital           Eltham                                      1927

Nurse Rae's Bickleigh Home, 2 Manse Street Hawera                                                1927

Nurse Kemp                                                   3 Moir Street Eltham                1943

Bickleigh Obstetric Hospital (Dr A M Young)   2 Manse St Hawera

 

In 1948 St Elmo and Bickleigh were both closed, when a maternity ward was opened in the Public Hospital. The Hawera Maternity Hospital was opened on the 17 March 1951 with Sister S V Ryan Sister-in-Charge.

 

EXAMPLE OF AN EARLY BIRTH NOTICE

18 March 1907, at the residence of her father Mr J Penny, Riverlea, the wife of J Staples, had a son.  (BUT WHO WAS SHE!!!!)