FINLAY, FREIDA ELIZABETH nee FORD
Freida Ford was born on the 5 March 1895 at Palmerston North, the daughter of John Hodder and Jessie Ford nee Eade, and moved to Wanganui in her youth. She was educated at the Wanganui Technical College and then moved to Stratford.
During the 1918 influenza epidemic, Freida worked as a voluntary nurse for a Stratford doctor, Dr Pagett. Later she commenced nursing training at the Hawera Hospital (now Ngahuru), and met her future husband, Harold John Finlay there. They did their courting in the sluice room, and married on the 11 November 1920 at Hawera. Freida then moved to Cliff Farm, the Finlay family farm at Ohawe Road, Tokaora where she lived until her death.
When electricity first came to the Hawera district, Freida received instruction on the use of electric ranges from the Egmont Power Board and in turn acted as an instructor on behalf of the board and the Women's Division of Federated Farmers. She also demonstrated the ranges at the winter and summer shows.
Freida took an active part in the formation of the Rebecca Lodge, IOOF, and was also an active organiser and foundation member of the Tokaora and Hawera branches of the WDFF.
Freida was a forward thinking and intelligent woman, and was good at handwork, and attended art classes.
Freida Elizabeth Finlay died on the 23 June 1974 aged 80 years, and is buried at the Hawera cemetery.
Dorothy Davies, Hawera (daughter)