Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


ALLEN, Lieutenant F, RNR (Devonport), formerly of the Union Steamship Co, is in HMS Cricket. He is the son of Captain E F ALLEN who is well-known in South Sea Islands shipping circles. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

ANDREW — The latest New Zealander to win the Victoria Cross, Corporal Leslie ANDREW, reached his 20th year last March. He was born at Ashhurst and when his father was promoted to headmaster of the Wanganui East School, the family became identified with that town. After serving in the office of C E Mackay of Wanganui, he entered the railway service and his keenness for volunteering almost immediately earned him his sergeant stripes in No.7 Co. of Railway Engineers. He entered the local Manager’s office in December 1914. The following year he obtained leave to enlist and he left as a Corporal in the 10th Reinforcements. Before leaving he qualified for a commission but was not successful in obtaining one. He is described as a particularly bright young man with a natural aptitude for soldiering and very keen on whatever he had on hand. The fact that he was only 18 years of age when he enlisted and qualified by examination for a commission, indicates the capacity of the latest New Zealander to win the highest order for bravery. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.20

ANDREW, Corporal Leslie Wilton — Nine awards of the Victoria Cross have been made. The recipients include Corporal Leslie Wilton ANDREW of the NZ Infantry. He showed conspicuous bravery while in charge of a small party taking an enemy position. His objective was a machine-gun post which had been located in an isolated building. Leading his men forward he encountered unexpectedly a machine-gun post which was stopping the advance of another company. Andrew immediately Attacked, capturing the machine-gun and killing several of the crew. He then continued the attack on the machine-gun post which was the original objective and displayed great skill and determination. He finally captured the post and killed several of the enemy, putting to flight the remainder. Andrew’s conduct throughout was unexampled for cool daring, initiative and fine leadership and was a magnificent example and a fine stimulant to his comrades. [AWN 13.09.1917, p.24]

ANDREW, Corporal L, is a son of Mr W J Andrew, headmaster of Wanganui East School, states a Press Assn telegram. He was 22 years of age at the time of his enlistment in 1915. He is the 9th New Zealander to win the Victoria Cross. The first in order is Captain W J HARDHAM who won it in South Africa in 1901 and afterwards served with distinction at Gallipoli where he was severely wounded. The second is Sergeant C R G BASSETT of Auckland who gallantly repaired telephone lines at Chunuk Bair in broad daylight under heavy fire on 8 August 1915. The third recipient of the honour was the late Sergeant Donald Forrester BROWN of Oamaru, for conspicuous gallantry in the Somme battle. The fourth was Lieutenant Commander SANDERS of Auckland (since deceased) who won the award for naval service. The last V.C. announced is Lance Corporal Samuel FRICKLETON, a West Coast miner, who won it during his second period of service with the Expeditionary force for attacking machine-guns. The Cross has also been won by Brigadier General B C FREYBERG, Wellington, serving with the Imperial forces and the late Captain A J SHOUT, Wellington, and the late Private Thomas COOKE, Wellington, serving with the Australians. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.24

BAXTER, Capt Headley, Royal Warks. Regt, formerly resident at Ashburton, has been killed in action. [AWN 13.09.1917] p.24

BIDDICK, Private J H, s/o J A Biddick, Orakei, has been awarded the MM for gallantry on the field of action. Went to Egypt with the 7th Reinforcements and thence to France and is attached to the MG Corps. Aged 21, prior to enlisting was employed on one of his father’s scows engaged in the Auckland coastal trade. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.22

BIDWELL, Captain C N, son of Mrs Bidwell of Bell Rd, Remuera, lost his life at the sinking of a transport in the English Channel last July. He was Chief Officer of the vessel at the time. His boat, with 11 other men in it, got clear of the ship but was never seen afterwards. The occupants of the other boats were all picked up. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.16

BLAIKIE, Private Alfred James, a returned soldier, died at a NZ military hospital on Saturday last. He was a member of the 16th Reinforcements and the second son of Mr R Blaikie, 42 Vincent Street. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.23

Ross BRODIE of Rangitata and E T SUTHERLAND, Wanganui, both of the Canterbury Aviation School, passed their flying test on Saturday and will be drafted into the RFC. It is stated that Sutherland is the first Maori to enter the RFC. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.22

BUDGE, Private G S, is the third son of Mr & Mrs John Budge of Mt Pleasant Farm, Kiokio. He is 28 years old and was born at Takapuna and educated at the state school there. He was farming at Maihihi, King Country, when he enlisted in 1915. He had been 12 months in the trenches when he was wounded. His brother John is with the forces in Palestine. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.28

CAIN, Lieutenant Alan E, RNR, is stationed at Port Said. He is in charge of a small armed yacht and his duties take him all over the Eastern Mediterranean. He was formerly chief officer of the Maori and his second then was Lieutenant O FLOOD, RNR, who is at present at the RN depot Port Said. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

CHAPMAN, Private W J, son of Mrs Chapman, Douglas St, Ponsonby, was killed in action in the battle of Messines. He left as a member of the Rifle Brigade in the 9th Reinforcements and later transferred into the signalers. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

CLEARY, Private Sidney, who died on 31 July, from wounds received in France, was the youngest son of Mr & Mrs J Cleary of Kaiti, Gisborne and grandson of the late E F & Annie Harris of Gisborne and also of the late Thomas Cleary and of Mary Cleary of Panmure, Auckland. Private Cleary was educated at the Gisborne School and was 20 years of age. He left with the 14th Reinforcements. Another brother, Corporal E J CLEARY, who left with the 7th Reinforcements, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 3 August, he was also wounded at the Somme. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

COATES, Lieutenant W H, son of Mrs Coates of Matakohe, is reported missing. Lieut W A (sic) is a brother of Captain J G COATES, MP, for Kaipara. Prior to joining the forces he was an engineer with the Union Steam Ship Co. He left NZ with the 5th Mounted Reinforcements as sergeant major and served at Gallipoli where he received his commission, also with the mounted brigade in Egypt, until December 1916, when he was accepted for training in the Royal Flying Corps. Lieut Coates was serving in France with the RFC as scout pilot. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

COLE-BAKER, Douglas F G, son of Mrs M R Cole-Baker, Onewhero, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in action. His commanding officer states in a letter that he went out several times by himself under heavy fire and each time brought in a wounded man. He left with the 14th Reinforcements. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.16

COLLETT, Captain Clive T, of the Royal Flying Corps, wounded, is the son of Mrs A M Collett of Epsom. Until a few months ago he was engaged in instructing pilots in fighting in the air, these duties being carried out in England. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.45

CONNELLY, Corporal W, Royal Field Artillery, eldest son of the late William Connelly, and Nurse Connelly, Captain St, Onehunga, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous gallantry in conveying ammunition to an advance battery under very heavy shell fire in July last. He is an Aucklander and went to England before the war and enlisted there. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.16

DULEY — Among those who recently died from wounds in France was Sergeant Major C G DULEY of the Royal Engineers, two of whose brothers have been resident in Auckland. He was a brother of Driver N M DULEY of the Permanent Force, now stationed at Devonport, who went with the Main NZ Expeditionary Force to Gallipoli where he was wounded on two occasions, receiving injuries to both arms and one of his thighs. Driver DULEY also served in France. His younger brother Private B DULEY who was formerly on the staff of the Bank of NZ in Auckland and afterwards in Sydney, enlisted in the Australian force and is now fighting in France where he has been wounded three times. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

DYER, 2nd Lieutenant E J R, who received a commission in the Royal Fusiliers last October, has been invalided from France after a spell of strenuous service. He is a brother of Captain G C S DYER, NZSC late of the Auckland District Staff. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

ECCLES, Captain Horace D, RAMC, who was born in England, has been killed in action. He qualified at Guy’s Hospital, London, arrived in the Dominion in 1900 and started in practice at Mangonui. He held the rank of captain of the First Mangonui Mounted Rifles, subsequently attaining to the rank of colonel of the North Auckland Regt. Shortly after the outbreak of war he proceeded to England where he enlisted and was immediately appointed medical instructor at one of the RAMC camps and sent to France. On 25 July of this year he was promoted, mentioned in despatches and transferred from the Artists’ Rifles to the Irish Rifles. Capt Eccles, who was well known and extremely popular in the Auckland Province served with distinction through the South African War, being awarded the Queen’s Medal with two clasps. He is survived by Mrs Eccles, who resides in Wynyard Street, City. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

FIDLER, Lieutenant Carrel Watt, of the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders, attached to the Royal Flying Corps, who died of shell wounds in Belgium, was the son of the late Mr W Fidler, at one time inspector of school in Auckland. Lt Fidler, who was born at Auckland, joined the force in Canada two weeks after the outbreak of war. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

FLETCHER, Lieutenant Colonel W H, has been invalided home. He was wounded shortly after the battle of Messines. He was formerly second in command of the Second Battn of the Wellington Infantry Regt. He was promoted to be lieutenant-colonel to take command of the Third Wellington Battn of the Fourth Brigade. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

FOORD, Sergeant Alfred Ernest, 34th Reinforcement Specialists, died at the Featherston Camp on Sunday. [AWN 20.09.1917] p.19

GARLAND, Flight Lieutenant E H — Advice has been received through the Swiss Red Cross that Flight Lieut E H Garland, who recently was reported missing, is a prisoner of war at Karlsruhe, Germany. He is 20 years of age and is the son of Mr F L Garland, Oriental Bay, Wellington. He received his preliminary aviation training at the NZ flying school at Kohimarama. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.28

GRANT, Lieutenant, of Wellington, is also a Main Body man. He took part in the operations on Gallipoli and was invalided home after an attack of fever. He recovered and left NZ again with the 19th Reinforcements. He was wounded in the arm at the battle of Messines. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

GREY, Lieutenant George Leslie, Royal Flying Corps, son of Mr C Grey, Balmoral Rd, Mt Eden, was reported seriously injured on 3 September. He left Auckland with the Main Body and served at Gallipoli. He was invalided to England with enteric and was subsequently attached to the Pay Office. He sat for his commission and afterwards joined the Royal Flying Corps. Mr Grey had four sons at the front, one returned wounded and three are still serving. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.19

GRIBBIN, Gunner Raymond Lewis, son of Mr G A Gribbin of the legal firm of Nicholson & Gribbin, was killed in action on 11 September. He left with the 22nd Reinforcements and was 20 years old. He was educated at the Devonport School and the Auckland Grammar School and prior to his enlistment was a clerk in the office of his father’s firm. He was a keen footballer and was a member of the Grammar School Old Boys first fifteen. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

HALL — A member of the NZ Divisional Signalling Co. has written from France to a friend in Wellington as follows: "You remember I mentioned that Lionel HALL was one of our non-commissioned officers. From the casualty lists you will have seen that he was killed in action on 12 June but I do not know whether you have heard the circumstances. He had just been out repairing a wire under shell fire and had got back safely. He was standing in the doorway of a billet we used to go in and out of frequently during the day, when a shell burst and killed him almost instantaneously. At any rate, he did not regain consciousness, so it was practically instantaneous. A large piece of high explosive shell had struck him in the middle of the body. After going through nearly three years of war it was really hard luck he did not live to go back to his people. Lionel was fearless of death and was an example of coolness and courage. His simple, quiet ways won the respect of everybody he met. A more thoughtful and more conscientious fellow one would hardly meet anywhere. His life was exemplary. It is sad that so many of our best University men have lost their lives while serving their country." Captain GROVER, O.C., 4th NZ Brigade Signalling Section, to which Cpl HALL had lately been attached, has written: "Although I had only known Lionel for two months, I can say that he was one of the best living and most conscientious soldiers I have ever met and his loss is dearly regretted by the whole of the NZ Division Signalling Co." [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

HENDERSON, E M, is a son of Mr G L Henderson, of the process department of the Weekly News Printing Works. He left with the 10th Reinforcements, going to Egypt with the mounted rifles but was transferred to the 12th NZ Field Artillery. He was in the NZ Insurance Co’s office prior to enlisting. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

HUTCHEON, Sergeant Thomas Douglas, who died of wounds in France on 16 August, was the only son of Mrs Hutcheon, 107 Ponsonby Road. He was educated at St Johns College and prior to enlistment was on the staff of the Union Bank. He was a member of the College Rifles and at the outbreak of the war went as a signaler to Samoa. He remained there for 10 months and upon his return enlisted in the 10th Reinforcements. [AWN 20.09.1917] p.19

JARDINE, Captain L H, MC, is granted the temporary rank of lieutenant-colonel while employed as an instructor at the Senior Officers’ School at Aldershot. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

JENNINGS, Lieutenant A G, Northumberland Fusiliers, son of Mr W T Jennings, MP, was seriously wounded on 28 August and is now in the Rouen Hospital. He is the third son of the member for Taumarunui. He went away with the Main Expeditionary Force and after serving in Gallipoli and France obtained a commission. He won the Military Cross about two months ago. Mr Jennings has lost two sons in the war. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.19

JOHNSON, Private H J C, ASC, 34th Reinforcements, died suddenly after playing football at Featherston Military Camp yesterday afternoon. [[AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

JOHNSTON, Corporal A H, second son of Inspector J Johnston of the Auckland Police Force is amongst those recently awarded the Military Medal for gallant conduct at Messines. He, together with a number of other soldiers, took in running wires from the front line across No Man’s Land and within 300 yards of the enemy’s front trench. A party of 14 under Sgt TURNER of Christchurch who shortly afterwards was killed. Four men, including JOHNSON, remained on duty, repairing the wires as they were broken by shell fire for a total continuous period of 48 hrs. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.48

KAA, Lieutenant Pekama Rongoaia, who recently died of wounds in France, was a descendant of a notable line of Maori warriors of the Ngatiporou tribe. He was educated at the Rangitukia school where he won the Makanui scholarship. Two years later he entered the Dept of Agriculture. He enlisted in the first Maori Contingent and was given a commission in the Second Contingent. He was fatally wounded while directing the movements of the Ngatiporou platoons. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

KAVANAGH, Sergeant, killed in action in France, was the youngest son of Mrs C Kavanagh of Grey Lynn and was born at Mauku. He was a member of one of the contingents in the South African war. Two years ago he enlisted in the Rifle Brigade and had been on active service in France until the time of his death. He was a keen sportsman, being considered one of Auckland’s best cricket and hockey representatives. Prior to his enlistment he was engaged in the building trades in the Mauku district. His brother Cecil KAVANAGH, has been wounded once but is now in the firing line in France. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.20

Miss KAVANAGH of Dublin St, Ponsonby, has been advised that Sergeant L P KAVANAGH, who was seriously wounded in the right leg on 31 July, is progressing satisfactorily. He left in the 17th Reinforcements. He is cousin to Sergeant V C KAVANAGH, who was killed in action on 9 October, also to Private Cecil KAVANAGH, now in the firing line. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.19

KEEGAN, Sergeant C, of Ashburton, was awarded the Military Medal for gallant work in leading his company at the battle of Messines. At the time he was acting as company sergeant-major and he displayed great bravery. He was subsequently wounded in the right arm, causing a compount fracture. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

KELLY, Nurse Ruby J, who was for nearly two years serving at the Walton on Thames Hospital, and later at the front in France, is reported by cablegram to have been admitted into a hospital in France suffering from a slight illness. She was for about five years on the staff of the Auckland Public Hospital. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

KEMPTHORNE, Lieutenant Harold, son of Archdeacon Kempthorne of Nelson, killed in action in France on 24 August was an old Nelson Collegian and joined the Eastern Extension Telegraph service after leaving school. When he enlisted he was the owner of a farm in the Waikato. He leaves a widow. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.19

KENNEDY, Corporal Daniel A, Main Body, son of Mrs D Kennedy of Carrick Place, Dominion Road, Has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry at Messines. Her nephew Corporal James McLEOD has also been awarded the Military Medal for distinguished service in the same engagement. He was employed at the Sugar Works before leaving for the Front. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.48

KNIGHT, Driver Norman Leslie, of the Artillery, killed in action, was the only son of Mr J Knight of St Johns Avenue, Epsom, and late of Woodside, Hamilton. He was born at Palmerston North and educated at Hamilton and St Johns Collegiate School, Onehunga. After leaving school he was two years in the Bank of Australasia, Hamilton, afterwards taking up a sheep and cattle station at Whangarei where he remained until he enlisted in May 1916. He was 27 years of age. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.45

LEGG, Rifleman R, killed in action on 19 August, was a native of London. He came to Auckland about three years before the outbreak of war and prior to enlisting in the 11th Reinforcements was employed as a baker on the steamer Monowai. His father, Mr J Legg, is one of the foremen in the Vickers aeroplane works, in London. A brother, Sergeant F LEGG, who was wounded at Mons, has been serving with the Imperial force since the beginning of the war. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

LEYS, Sub-Lieutenant W Cecil, RNVR (Auckland), who has been for some time past in the Motor-boat Patrol, has left for Mesopotamia. He has served for nearly a year in an ambulance at Salonika. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

MacLEAN, Lance Corporal Duncan, wounded and admitted to hospital on August 5, is a son of the Rev A MacLean, former Presbyterian minister of Avondale. He was educated at the Avondale school and prior to enlistment was farming at Te Kuiti. He left NZ in the 10th Reinforcements as a member of the Rifle Brigade. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

MAWSON, Lieutenant J B, who left NZ with the fifth reinforcement as a member of the Wellington Infantry Battn, received the Military Cross for conspicuously good work in the Machine-gun Corps at the battle of the Somme. His home is in Otago; he formerly was a teacher at Wellington College. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

McILROY, Dr James, who was surgeon to Sir Ernest Shackleton’s expedition, has been severely wounded in France while attending an injured soldier under fire. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

McLEIGH, Private George Walter, reported killed in action at Messines, was the youngest son of Mrs McLeigh, for many years a resident of Grey Lynn. He was born at Kaukapakapa 29 years ago and previous to enlisting was a slaughterman at Gisborne. He was educated at the Kaukapakapa school and at the Richmond Road school. He left NZ with the 21st Reinforcements. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

McMORRAN, Captain G, Wellington, was sergeant-major in the Samoan Relief Force. After his return to NZ he joined the Second Battalion of the Rifle Brigade with the rank of second-lieutenant. He went through the Somme battle and was given his second star. Later he was promoted to the rank of Captain and was attached to the Fourth Battn on its formation in England. He was wounded a day or two after the action at Messines. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

McQUILLAN, Corporal J, of Longbeach, Ashburton, was awarded the Military Medal for his general all-round good work and in particular for his handling of a Stokes gun during a German raid at Ploegstreete in April. He left NZ in the Second Battn of the Rifle Brigade. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

The Belgian Order of the Crown has been awarded to Brig General C W MELVILL, NZEF. He was in an English regiment before coming to NZ to take up farming at Clinton. He later received a commission in the NZ forces. He then went home to finish his military training. On the outbreak of war he immediately rejoined his old regiment and proceeded to France with one of the initial drafts. He was wounded early and on recovery stayed nine months in England training officers. He subsequently went to Gallipoli and later returned to France with the NZ forces. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.44

MURRAY, Captain Keith of the RFC an old boy of King’s College, has been awarded the MC. Stepson of Dr McDowell, left Auckland March 1915 and after receiving his training in England began active service on the western front towards the end of August that year. He was promoted Flight Commander in March 1916 and was mentioned in Sir Douglas Haig’s first despatch. He has been continually engaged at the firing line since last Nov and was again mentioned in despatches in June last. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.24

MURRAY, Sergeant W J, of Opotiki, is the recipient of the Military Medal. He left NZ with the Second Battn of the NZ Rifle Brigade. On 18 May, on the Messines front, he was in charge of a raiding party that was instructed to locate a sap-head. The party discovered a German dug-out where they demanded the surrender of the inmates. The majority of the Germans held up their hands but one who was at the back fired his revolver and threw a couple of bombs at the New Zealanders. One of the party Corporal ISLIP of Dunedin, was killed. Murray was badly wounded in the left leg and had his jaw broken and three others were wounded. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

NICHOLLS, Corporal George H, killed in action at Messines, was the youngest son of Mr Richard Nicholls of Parakai, Helensville. He was educated at the Remuera and Helensville schools. At the outbreak of the war he was engaged in farming with his parents at Parakai and was one of the first to enlist. From Gallipoli he was invalided to Malta and subsequently to England. On his recovery he went to Egypt and from there to France. He had passed unscathed through the battles of Armentieres and the Somme and various minor raids. Writing to his parents, Lieutenant Walter Gibbs, in whose platoon Cpl Nicholls served, says: "At the time he met his death I was taking the Lewis guns to a portion of the line beyond Messines where we were urgently needed. We had to cross the ridge in the open and as it was almost midday, we were seen, with the result that we were shelled. Your boy was the only unfortunate one, being hit by a piece of shell while sheltering for a brief moment in a trench. He died as a brave lad should, showing no signs of fear under the heaviest of fire. He was a lad to be proud of." [AWN 06.09.1917] P.28

OLDHAM, Corporal W F, whose parents reside at Ponsonby was a Main Body man attached to the Auckland Infantry Battn. He received the Military Medal for rescuing a wounded man who was lying in front of the German trenches. He was wounded in the head at Messines. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

OLIPHANT, Lieut James, s/o Peter Oliphant, awarded MC. Joined 3rd Auckland Inf. as a private when war was declared. When the Main Body left NZ he held the rank of Sgt. On arrival in Egypt he obtained a commission in the First King’s Own Scottish Borderers, 29th Division which was then on its way to Gallipoli. In March 1916 he was transferred to France and since then has been with his regiment in France & Flanders. Solicitor by profession, resided at Te Awamutu. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.23

ORR, Lieutenant A, of Balfour, Otago. A fine record of service stands to the credit of this officer. He was a member of the Main Body of the Otago Mounted Rifles. After being wounded on Gallipoli he returned to NZ. He left again with the 17th Reinforcement. He was wounded a second time at Ploegstreete but after treatment in a French hospital, returned to the front for the third time and took part in the Messines battle. He received a wound in the arm and returned to NZ yesterday. [AWN 20.09.1917, p.17]

PARSONS, Private Sydney of the NZ machine-gun company, who died of wounds received in France, on 14 August, was a Wellington College Boy. He was only 21 years of age and before enlisting was on the staff of the Government architect’s office in Wellington. He was the grandson of the late Mr Chas Higgins a well known volunteer veteran in the Wairarapa and was also the nephew of Lieut V Higgins of Carterton School, who is serving with the forces in France. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

PAULSEN, Private L P, killed in action on 15 August in France was the second youngest son of the late Mr Laurits Paulsen, formerly of Norway. Prior to enlisting he was a waterside worker at Onehunga and was for many years in the employ of the Northern Steamship Co. He was 32 years of age. Over 20 of his relatives are at the front. Mrs Paulsen, who is a daughter of Mr W Wilson of Warkworth, and family of three young children, reside in Eden Terrace. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

REDPATH, Captain G, NZMC, has seen a good deal of service with the RAMC. He left NZ in 1915 and was soon on active service, becoming captain in 1916. Capt Redpath was twice gassed and was invalided to Falmouth for light duty. [AWN 27.09.1917, p.58]

ROGERS, Private Owen, died of consumption at a hospital in the Cashmere Hills on Friday. He served throughout the Boer war with an Imperial Regiment and in the present war served with the fourth reinforcements. He received a bullet in the lungs on Gallipoli and returned to NZ at the end of 1915 and had been in hospital ever since. He is a native of Wales. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.20

ROSS, Private Hugh Leslie, killed in action, was 21 years old. He was the youngest son of Mr Hugh Ross, Waihou. He was born at Waihou and educated at the Waihou and Morrinsville schools, and later at the Auckland Grammar School, after which he joined the Railway Dept. He enlisted at the age of 19, being then a cadet at the Avondale station. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.28

SHEEHAN, Trooper Patrick J, who died of wounds in Palestine on 12 August, enlisted as a member of the 9th Wellington, Mounted Rifles and afterwards was transferred to the 1st, Canterbury, Mounted Rifles. He was the only son of Mrs P Mooney of King Edward Ave, Epsom. He was 42 years of age and previously was a shepherd near Taihape. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

SHELTON, Private W W, died of wounds on 12 August , was the second son of Mr F Shelton of Hardinge Street. He was an Aucklander, educated at Nelson Street school,. He was 29 years old and had been working in the Kaiwaka district for several years before going to the front with the 7th Reinforcements. His elder brother Private Fred. SHELTON, who went with the 14th Reinforcements, was wounded at the Somme last October and is now at Codford Camp. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

SKINNER, 2nd Lieutenant A H, Royal Flying Corps, son of Mr J H Skinner of Auckland, has been missing since 16 September. He went to the front in the Main Body with the 1st, Canterbury, Infantry. He took part in the landing at Anzac and served for some months on the peninsula. He gained his commission in the Royal Flying Corps last May and proceeded to France recently. [AWN 27.09.1917] p.19

SOMMERVILLE, Major J A, who was included in the contingent from Egypt, left for the front with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force, attached to the Wellington Mounted Rifles. After seeing service on Galloipoli he was invalided home. After recovering he returned to Egypt where he was wounded. He again recovered and rejoined his regiment. He was awarded the DSO for distinguished service in connection with the capture of enemy guns at Gaza. His brother, Captain C L SOMMERVILLE, is also attached to the Wellington Mounted Regt. They are sons of Mrs J R Sommerville of Glen Rd, Stanley Bay. [AWN 13.09.1917, p.17]

STRINGER, Temp-Surgeon L B, who served for a short time with the West Kent Yeomanry and after-wards entered the navy, has been posted to the Europa. [awn 27.09.1917, P.58]

TAYLOR, Sergeant Joseph C, who was accidentally killed by a shell in France, was the second son of Mr Joseph Taylor of Karangahape Road and was 27 years of age. He saw much active service in France, going right through the battle of the Somme. Prior to enlisting he was on the clerical staff of the Railway Dept and at times was stationed at Te Aroha, Te Kuiti, Taumarunui and finally at Helensville. He was a keen sportsman and played football for the Railway team, both in Wellington and Auckland. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.19

TENNENT, Captain Bernard Charles, RAMC, has been awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in action. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.46

A soldier named Frederick WALLACE, aged 20, was drowned in the Mataura River on Monday. Accompanied by Joseph MURRAY, another soldier on leave, Wallace was crossing the traffic bridge when his hat was blown into the river. He proceeded down a gravel beach to intercept the hat and waded into the stream. He was swept off his feet and carried down the river and drowned before assistance could be rendered. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.29

WARBURTON, Corporal Bertie Cecil, was, at the time of enlisting, employed by Briscoe & Co, Auckland. His next of kin is Mrs Bertha Warburton of Penrose. [AWN 06.09.1917] P.28

WHITLEY, Arthur Leslie, Machine-Gun Corps, fifth son of Mr W S Whitley, wounded on 5 August, is reported as seriously ill. He left with the 7th Reinforcements. His eldest brother, Ernest George WHITLEY, is serving with the 15th Reinforcements. [AWN 13.09.1917] P.45

WHITTEM, Private James H, killed in action on 9 August, was the second son of the late Robert Whittem and Mrs Whittem of Wellington. He was educated at the Napier High School and then took up farming at Braeburn (Murchisan District) and enlisted from there, leaving with the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

WILSON, L/Cpl Reginald, who was recently awarded the Military Medal for bravery at Messines, is the fifth son of Mr Robert Wilson, 27 Sale St, Freemans Bay. He was educated at Napier Street school and Auckland Grammar School and enlisted in the Medical Corps, Main Body when aged 18. He took part in the fighting on the Suez Canal and Gallipoli, was wounded on the Peninsula and invalided to Malta. He returned to Egypt and later went to France. [AWN 27.09.1917] P.21

WILSON, Private Wm, severely wounded in the right arm and also wounded in the left leg and thigh on 17 August, is the second son of Mr N Wilson of Pukekohe. He left with the 19th Reinforcements. His brother, Private Arthur WILSON, who left with the 20th draft, is now at the front. [AWN 20.09.1917] P.19

Return To HOME