Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


ABBOT, Lance Corporal Kenneth Ferris, reported died of wounds, is the second son of Mr & Mrs R T Abbot, Milton Rd, Mt Eden. He and a younger brother were members of the advance party which occupied Samoa. After some months' service there they returned to NZ and went to Egypt with a reinforcement draft. L/Cpl Abbot was wounded during the heavy fighting on Gallipoli in August last year and after some time in hospital in England he rejoined his regiment, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry and has been serving in France for some time past. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

ABBOTT, Sub Lieutenant Victor, Royal Flying Corps, whose death is recorded through the breakdown of an aeroplane engine while he was flying in England. He was the only son of Mr M Abbott of Battle Hill, Pahatanui and left for England last April. His father received a letter from him a few days ago, notifying that he had gained his commission in the Flying Corps. He was 23 years of age, well known in tennis circles, having at one time won the singles championship of the Manawatu district. [AWN 05.10.1916] p.19

ALLAN, Private James E W, who has died of wounds, was the elder son of Mrs E L Allan of Home St, Archhill. He was 21 years of age. He went through the heavy hostilities at Gallipoli. He was incapacitated with dysentery and he afterwards contracted scarlet fever. He was on active service in France for four months before he died. He was well known at Thames, Piha, West Coast and New Lynn and was a boxer and footballer. [AWN 12.10.1916] p.31

ALLEY, Private Clifford, killed in action, was the sixth son of the late Mr Charles Alley, one of the pioneer settlers of Hikutaia in the Thames Valley and was born at Hikutaia just over 21 years ago. Three of his brothers and three cousins are now in the fighting line and one or two more near relatives are preparing to leave shortly. Pvt Alley was educated at the Hikutaia school and afterwards took up farming pursuits, chiefly with his uncles, Messrs George & William Alley. He was a smart athlete and had been on active service for about a year. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.48]

ASHWORTH, Private George Herbert, F. Company, 21st Reinforcements, died on Monday at Trentham Hospital from broncho-pneumonia following measles. [AWN 26.10.1916] P.56

ATKINS, Rifleman T F, killed in action, was the fourth son of Mr & Mrs George Atkins of Waimana, Clevedon. He was born at Paparimu but lived at Clevedon until a few years ago when he took up farming at Oparau, Kawhia, only leaving it to join the NZ Rifle Brigade. He was 33 years of age and one of four brothers all at the front. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

BEDGGOOD, Lance Corporal Wallace, Military Medal, only son of E A H Bedggood, formerly of Kaihu. He was accepted on his third effort at enlistment and joined the 1st Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade. He fought in Egypt last December and earned his lance corporal stripe. He was part of an incursion into no manís land to rescue wounded men under machine gun fire. [AWN 05.10.1916] p.19

BILLING, Private H A W, reported wounded, is the eldest son of Mr H Billing, Auckland. He was born in Helensville but resided for a considerable period in Dargaville. He left with the main body and was wounded in the landing at Gallipoli. Later he returned to the firing-line. His brother Charles and two cousins have been killed in action and two other cousins have received shrapnel wounds. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

BLOOMFIELD, Rifleman Roy, wounded, is the youngest son of Mr & Mrs Bloomfield of Motumaoho. This is the second time he has been wounded. Six members of the family are taking part in the war, four sons being in the army and two in the navy. Roy is the fifth son who has been wounded, one brother, Allen, being at the present time in a London hospital suffering from injuries sustained in the recent fighting at Flers. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

BREMNER, Sergeant O S, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. [AWN 26.10.1916] P.22

BROOKS, Rifleman Norgrove Alfred, who has met his death at the front, was a son of Mr Alfred Brooks of Henderson and was in his 22nd year. He was born at Dannevirke and educated at the Dannevirke and Henderson schools. His occupation before enlistment was that of a cook. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

BRUMBY, Second Lieutenant Harold R, who was killed in action on 1 October, was the youngest son of Mr & Mrs L A Brumby of Mt Eden. Lieut Brumby took a keen interest in the local school cadets and prior to his enlistment was a sergeant in the 16th, Waikato, Regiment. He received his education at the Hastings District School and the Napier Technical College. For some time he was in the office of Messrs Ellis & Burnand, Mangapeehi, and at the time of enlisting he was employed by Messrs English & Luxford, Hamilton. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

CADDIGAN, Gunner Ernest William, killed in action, was the third son of Mrs C Cooper of Huia Rd, Otahuhu. He was born at Howick, where he received his education at the Roman Catholic School. Prior to enlisting he was employed by the Government in the Waikato district. Leaving with an early reinforcement draft, he fought at Gallipoli. He was a member of the Otahuhu and Te Awamutu Football Clubs. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

CARRINGTON, Captain Christopher, second son of Dean Carrington of Christchurch, has been killed in action. He was 23 years of age and was educated at Christ's College. He was one of the original students at Duntroon Military College and after he passed out of college was appointed Lieutenant in the NZ Field Artillery. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

CASELBERG - At a military parade at Dunedin on Saturday, Hon J Allen, Minister for Defence, presented Sapper A L CASELBERG, Signal Troop, NZ Mounted Rifle Brigade, with the Distinguished Conduct Medal. [AWN 26.10.1916] p.17

CATTON, Private Charles W, killed in action, was the second son of Mrs T Catton of Henderson. Before enlisting he was engaged in farm work. He left NZ in the infantry with his two brothers but was parted from them owing to measles breaking out in his tent and was then transferred to the artillery. He has another brother with the NZ Field Artillery. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

CLARK, Lieutenant R Crago, killed in action on 4 October, was born in Auckland and at an early age went to Dunedin. For six years he was connected with the Dunedin Engineers, taking a keen interest in volunteering and gaining the highest points in NZ for signalling. Prior to enlisting, he held a commission in the Technical School Cadets, Palmerston North, and later in No.90 Company, Senior Cadets, New Plymouth. When he enlisted he was in the employ of the Provident Life Assurance Co. at New Plymouth. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

CORDON, Rifleman E A, died of wounds, was born at Dargaville and educated at the Cambridge District High School. He was a member of the Fourth Battalion of the Rifle Brigade. Prior to enlisting he worked on a farm in the Te Aroha District. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

CORNAGA, Bombardier Andrew, who has been killed in action, was the third son of Mr Victor Cornaga of Auckland. He was born in Auckland and was in his 25th year. He was educated at the Normal School. At the time he enlisted he was in the employ of Messrs Ross & Glendining. Bdr Cornaga was for two years a member of the A Battery in which unit he went through the Gallipoli campaign. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

COX, Lance Corporal Lionel, who has been killed in action, was the son of Mr L J Cox of Te Rapa. He was born at Kaiapoi 21 years ago and was educated at the Eureka, Rotutuna and Whatawhata schools. Prior to enlisting he was employed on his father's farm and was a member of the 16th, Waikato, Regiment of Territorials, Lance Cpl Cox served through the latter part of the Dardanelles campaign and received his stripe in July last. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

CRAWFORD, Sergeant T, Auckland Battalion, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for leading a party of New Zealanders into a German trench under heavy fire. He is the second son of Captain and Mrs Crawford of Te Aroha and enlisted from Auckland as a private and was wounded at Gallipoli. [AWN 26.10.1916] p.17

DANIELL, Captain G E, killed in action, was in his earlier manhood associated with the Palmerston North staff of the Bank of NSW and NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd. Six or seven years ago he joined the Defence Dept. He joined the main body, being second in command of No.2 Battery, commanded by Major Sykes. He fought through the Gallipoli campaign where he was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous bravery. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

DAVIDSON, Lance Corporal Karl Nilsson who has died of wounds, was 22 years of age and the son of Mr George A Davidson, headmaster of the Taumarunui District School. He was educated at the Bay of Islands and Mt Eden schools and the Auckland Grammar School. He was prominent in athletic circles, especially football and boxing and also in social and musical circles, being a fine baritone singer. In military matters he belonged to the Auckland College Rifles and afterwards the 11th, Taranaki, Rifle Regiment. One of the first to enlist on the outbreak of war, Lance Cpl Davidson left with the Wellington Infantry Battalion, served in the fighting at the Suez Canal, took part in the landing on Gallipoli and remained there till after 8 August, when he was invalided to England with dysentery. He rejoined the main body in Egypt and landed in France last April. He served there till his death on 16 September. Previous to joining the Expeditionary Forces he was a clerk in the office of Mr J F Strange, solicitor, Taumarunui. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

DAVIS, Rifleman Sydney, killed in action, was 21 years of age and was educated at the Ngaruawahia and Hamilton schools. For four years previous to his enlistment he was employed by Mr R W Kemp of Owheua, Tokomaru Bay, as a shepherd. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

DENNISTOUN, Lieutenant James Robert died as a prisoner of war at Ohrdruf, Central Germany, on 9 August, from the effects of wounds. His bi-plane caught fire and he had to descend in the enemy lines. He is the elder son of George James Dennistoun, Peel Forrest, Canterbury. He was born at Peel Forrest and educated in Wanganui and at Malvern College. He was a member of Captain Scott's Antarctic expedition in 1910-11 and was awarded the King's Antarctic Medal and that of the Royal Geographical Society. He later went into sheep farming. He was also an enthusiastic mountaineer and ascended many peaks of the Southern Alps, several of which have never before been ascended. He also climbed, alone, Mitre Peak in Milford Sound which before that time had been considered inaccessible. He was a member of the Alpine Club. At the outbreak of war he returned to England and obtained a commission. His brother, Lieutenant Commander George DENNISTOUN, D.S.O., R.N., is on active service. [AWN 26.10.1916] p.17

DINNEEN, Captain J D, reported as having died of wounds, was formerly a member of the teaching staff of the Auckland Grammar School. He left NZ in February 1915 to volunteer for service in the military wing of the Royal Flying Corps. In this arm of the service he received a lieutenancy and qualified as a pilot but had to relinquish his commission owing to a defect in eyesight. Qualifying then in infantry work he became a captain in the Auckland Battalion of the Expeditionary Force and in that capacity has lately been fighting in France. Captain Dinneen was a B.A. of the NZ University. His mother, Mrs M V Dinneen resides in Mountain Road, Remuera. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

DUNLOP, Sergeant John, reported killed in action on 28 September, left with the main body and was at the landing at Gallipoli. He was a native of Manchester, England, where his parents still reside. His father is at present an engineer on a transport and two brothers are serving in France. He was resident in Auckland when he enlisted. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

EDMONDS, Rifleman Joseph, reported as having died of wounds on 22 September, was the only son of Mr & Mrs J Edmonds of Mackelvie St, Grey Lynn and a grandson of the late Mrs A COYLE who arrived in Auckland in the barge Brilliante in October 1841. Rifleman Edmond, who was 34 years of age, enlisted at Whangarei about the middle of last year. He was born at Ponsonby and educated at the Newton East public school. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

ELLIS, Flight Lieutenant S Howard, son of Mr H Ellis of New Lynn, is in a German military hospital. He took part in a great aerial raid which accompanied the opening of the Somme offensive. He writes: " "I was brought down by an 'archie' (or anti-aircraft gun) on July 3; I was hit in the left leg which was broken and put me out of action and in the right cheek. The leg is more serious and that is only a matter of a few weeks. I was a bit seedy for a day or so but am now mending rapidly. I have been treated with most wonderful kindness by all ranks throughout, from the man who lifted me out of the machine, which was crashed, to the very able surgeon who now attends me." [AWN 26.10.1916] p.17

ELLISDON, Captain F J H - Son of Mr F J H Ellisdon of Kingsland, who fell at the Front on 25 September and was named in the published casualty list as Lieutenant, had been promoted to the rank of Captain at the beginning of that month. Evidently he must have been leading his company when he received a mortal wound. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.52

FAIRE, Sergeant Clifford S, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Sir Samuel Faire of Glenfield Frith, Leicester, England. Prior to enlisting he was faring in the Waikato. His widow is living at Whangarei. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

FEAR, Corporal F J H, D.C.M., whose name appears in this week's casualty list as having been killed in action, was a native of Wellington where his parents have resided for many years. He gained the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, as a member of the NZ Engineers, on 9 & 10 June, 1915. He volunteered to demolish a Turkish blockhouse within 12 yards of the enemy's trench, which could be approached only over ground swept by machine-gun fire. Cpl Fear exhibited great skill and courage in approaching and demolishing the blockhouse, being exposed to the enemy's fire for over half an hour. He was accompanied by Sapper E A HODGES, also of the NZ Engineers, to whom the DCM was also awarded for his share in the gallant exploit. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.24

FIELD, Sergeant H J, died of wounds, was for many years a resident of Waikino and an employee of the Waihi G M Co. He was a member of the Ohinemuri County Council, the local school committee and also a prominent figure in athletic circles. He left for the front in August 1915 as a private and was subsequently promoted to the rank of sergeant in the Auckland Infantry Battalion. His brother resides at Eureka. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

FINLAYSON, Private Malcolm I, killed in action, was a son of the late Mr Alexander Finlayson of Maungaturoto and before enlistment was on the staff of the National Bank. Two of his brothers are serving in France and another, after fighting at Gallipoli, has returned to NZ. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

FINLAYSON, Private Malcolm Innes, who was killed in action on 15 September, was the second son of Mrs & the late Mr Alex. Finlayson of Maungaturoto. He was educated at the Maungaturoto school, Auckland Grammar School and Auckland University College. He was for some time in a solicitor's office and then entered the employ of the National Bank of NZ. He went to the front accompanied by two brothers. A third brother served on Gallipoli and has since returned to NZ, having lost his right eye. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

FITNESS, Lance Sergeant James, killed in action, was a son of Mr Wm Fitness, farmer, of Razorback. He was educated at the Bombay public school and at the age of 18 years joined the traffic branch of the Railway Dept. He was for three years in charge of the station at Manunui. Sgt Fitness joined the Rifle Brigade as a private but was early singled out for promotion. He was married on the eve of his departure. His widow resides at Manunui. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

FLEMING, Gunner R Ivan, Third Field Artillery Battery, eldest son of Mr J H & Mrs Fleming of Devonport, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was wounded in France in May and according to a letter received subsequently from a battery sergeant, he sustained his injuries while performing a very brave act. It is now presumed that this has been officially recognised. Gnr Fleming left the Dominion with the main body and saw considerable service on Gallipoli. He was wounded after arrival in France, in the shoulder, hip, thigh and arm but is now reported to be progressing favourably. Prior to enlistment Gnr Fleming was employed by Messrs Abbott & Kneebone. [AWN 26.10.1916] P.22

FURNISS, Private H J, killed in action, was a son of Mr H Furniss of Waipipi and was nearly 29 years of age. He left NZ early in January last. He was born in Stratford and received his education at the Bird Road public school, Taranaki. He followed various occupations in the Auckland district and just before enlisting was helping his parents and brothers in farming. Another brother, Trooper T E FURNISS, is at the front. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

GAINSWORTHY, Private Walter, who has been killed in action, was born at Tiverton, Devonshire. He came to NZ about five years ago and was on the staff of Smeetons Ltd as shipping clerk. He was keenly anxious to serve his country and greatly disappointed with his failure to get away with the main force at the outbreak of war and shortly after left his city position and took up farming in the employ of Mr Frank Paine, Roto-o-rangi. The open air life had the desired effect upon his health and enabled him to successfully pass the medical test and he enlisted with one of the reinforcements drafts. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

GLASGOW, Trooper W N, who lost his life while on active service, was 24 years of age, the third son of Mr W Glasgow, formerly of Onewhero and now of Tuakau. Tpr Glasgow was born at Onewhero and resided there until the time he went to the front. He leaves a wife and two children. His brother Stewart, who served on Gallipoli, died of enteric fever. Tpr Glasgow was formerly a prominent Waikato footballer. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

GOING, Rifleman Percy Stanley, killed in action, was engaged in farming pursuits before he enlisted. His father resides at Maromaku. [AWN 19.10.1916] p.49

GREENWELL, Rifleman George, killed in action, was the second son of Mrs & Mr R Greenwell, manager of the Huntly Brick & Fireclay Co. Ltd., Huntly. He was 23 years of age and left a year ago with the Rifle Brigade. While in Egypt he obtained his machine-gun section in France. He was born in Sydney, NSW, arriving in Huntly some 12 years ago with his parents. He attended the school at Huntly, afterwards joining the staff of the Huntly Brick & Fireclay Co, serving under his father until the time of leaving for camp. He was a keen footballer. He has two brothers on active service - the elder, Flight Lieutenant Mick Greenwell of the Royal Flying Corps, and the younger, Flight Lieutenant Arthur Greenwell of the Royal Naval Flying Corps. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

GUTTERIDGE, Second Lieutenant R Howard, of Auckland, was reported missing on 2 October. He is 25 years of age and the only son of Mr R Gutteridge, accountant in the local branch of the Colonial Sugar Co. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

HARESNAPE, Rifleman Percival H, killed in action, was the elder son of Mr & Mrs J Haresnape of Arawa St, Auckland. He received his education at the Grafton district school and prior to enlisting was employed as a builder. For many years he was closely connected with the Grafton Methodist Church and was a prominent member of its literary society and tennis and football clubs. He was interest in aquatics and was part-owner of the launch Tahuna. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

HARLEY, Captain H S, killed in action, went to the Waitaki High School from Nelson, together with the late Lieut Athol HUDSON, IN 1905. In 1906 he won the junior swimming championship and for three years in succession, 1910-12, he won the senior swimming championship. He was lieutenant in the school cadet corps in 1911-12 and was also a member of the first fifteen. He took a keen and practical interest in the musical life of the school and was a member of the military band orchestra. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

HARRIS, Rifleman R E reported killed in action, was the second son of Mr William Harris of Te Kowhai. He was born at St Ives, Cornwall. The telegram announcing his death was sent from Wellington on his 23rd birthday on Sunday last. He was educated at the Te Kowhai school and was an active member of the Methodist Church. Though he assisted his father in the general management of the farm, he specialised in bee farming. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

HEARD, Private H, who has died of wounds in France, was a member of the crew of the cable steamer Iris before his enlistment and has two brothers in the fighting ranks. Another brother, Gunlayer R HEARD was on HMS Invincible when she was sunk in the naval battle off Jutland. Pvt T HEARD is now in the trenches and Pvt A HEARD has been twice wounded but has again rejoined his unit. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

HERBERT, Temporary Captain James Laidlaw, killed in action on 30 September, was the fifth son of the late Mr J F Herbert of Admore, Kelso, of which property deceased officer was in possession when he enlisted as lieutenant. He was one of the founders of Kelso A & P Society and its first president. One of his brothers, Captain A S HERBERT, is in charge of the NZ Mounted Battalion. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

HODGES, Sapper E A - see FEAR, Cpl F J H [AWN 12.10.1916]

HUGHES, Private John Frederick, killed in action, was a single man and brother of Miss E Hughes of Kenny St, Waihi. Another brother was reported wounded on 10 September and two other brothers are still in the firing line in France. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

HUNTER, Sergeant Major R Wallace who was killed in action at the front in France on 15 September, was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs Chas Hunter of Cambridge and was married to the eldest daughter of Mr R F Bollard, MP. Prior to enlisting, Sgt Major Hunter carried on business as a land and commission agent in Cambridge and acted as secretary to the Waikato Central Agricultural Association, to the Waikato Hunt Club and to the Bruntwood Dairy Co. He left NZ with the 9th reinforcements in January last. He was an exceedingly popular young fellow and made hosts of friends in Cambridge and indeed throughout the whole of the Waikato. His brother Corporal Frederick HUNTER, was killed in action in France on 29 June. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

HURLEY, Private Thomas Richard, who has died of wounds, was the third son of Mrs & the late Mr Henry Hurley of Upper Waiwera and was 21 years of age. After service on Gallipoli he was invalided to Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool, slightly wounded and suffering from shell shock. After eight months stay in England he rejoined in France where he received the wounds which resulted in his death. He enlisted from Kihikihi, where he was in the employ of a business firm. His brother Private James HURLEY, was lately reported wounded. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

IRVINE, Trooper Thos., who died of wounds in France, was a son of Mr John Irvine, contractor, of Auckland. He was educated at Taupaki public school, was foreman of works for his father and at the time of enlistment was foreman in the concrete department for the Hamilton Borough Council. He was 34 years of age. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

JACKSON, Sergeant Allan Brittain, reported wounded, is one of three brothers either already in khaki or about to enter the countryís military service, all sons of Mr F K Jackson, Devonport. One other brother is doing his share in the trenches and the third goes into camp in December. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.48]

JONES, Private Charles Roger, killed in action 22 September, left NZ with the reinforcements at the end of last year. He was 23 years of age, born in Woodhill, being educated at the public school there, of which his father, Mr T A Jones, was headmaster. Later he attended Auckland Grammar School. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

KAYES, Quarter-master Sergeant J L H, s/o B A Kayes, has received a commission in France. He left for the front last January. His brother, Corporal E C Kayes, is in training at Salisbury Plain, England. [AWN 19.10.1916] p.49

KELLY, Gunner R E, who has died of wounds, was the son of Mrs M A Kelly of Ranfurly Rd, Epsom, and 21 years of age. He was an Auckland Grammar School old boy. Prior to enlistment he was in the employ of Messrs Sargood Son & Ewen. He was a signaller in the A Battery and an enthusiast in football and tennis. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

LIBEAU, Private A G, who was killed in action in France on 19 September, was born at Lyttelton and came to Waikato with his parents about thirty years ago. He received his education at the Tamahere and Newstead schools and afterwards engaged in farming. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

MACKIE, Pvt William K, reported wounded in the jaw, is the youngest son of Mr Joseph Mackie, secretary to the North Auckland Farmersí Co-operative Ass, Whangarei. Prior to leaving NZ with the main body, Pvt Mackie was employed by Messrs A S Paterson & Co, and formerly by Dalgety & Co in Auckland. On the peninsula he was in General Godleyís bodyguard. Since going to France he had been trained as a sniper and at the last competition at the sniping school his score was third on the list out of 100 men taken from the different battalions. Another brother is also in France and a third brother is in training with the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

MATTHEWS, Temporary Corporal G W, who has laid down his life at the front, was born at Kamo and was 24 years of age. He was employed on city corporation work at Wellington at the time of the declaration of war and immediately enlisted in the advance guard for Samoa. Prior to that he had been in the territorials at Whangarei and at Wellington. Returning to NZ after eight months' service he re-enlisted in the Rifle Brigade. A younger brother was killed on the peninsula. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

McBRIDE, Rifleman Andrew, killed in action on 15 September, was a son of Mrs J McBride of Kaukapakapa. Prior to his enlistment he was employed in the timber industry at Piha. He was well known in connection with football, cricket and other athletic games in the Kaipara district. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

McGAHAN, Sergeant C W - Among the list of those reported killed in action is the name of Sgt C W McGahan. He was born at Tuakau and educated at the Whangarata Public School and later attended the Auckland Grammar School. Prior to enlisting with the Samoan Advance Guard, he was employed on the railway, being stationed at Ohakune. Returning from Samoa, he joined the Expeditionary Forces. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

McGAHAN, Sergeant Charles W, killed in action, was the son of Mrs T McGahan of Tuakau. He was formerly attached to the district engineer's office of the Railway Dept in Auckland. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

McKEE, Lieut Fred G, killed in action, was one of the first to enlist and left with the Main Body as a sergeant. He was in the thick of the fighting with the Turks at the Suez Canal at the time of the death of Private HAM of Motueka, the first New Zealander to be killed in action. He was at the landing at Gallipoli and also the evacuation and soon after returning to Egypt was given a commission. He was 24 years of age and the son of Mr Arthur McKee of Nelson, well-known in the fruit-growing world. Frank McKEE, a brother, was wounded on 16 September. Another brother, Lieut A McKEE, leaves with the 20th Reinforcements. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

McKINNON, Private J, killed in action on 20 September, was a single man and had been farming at Tauhei near Morrinsville for some years. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

McLEOD, Sergeant J D, killed in action, was a son of Mr D McLeod of Hikurangi. At the time of his enlistment he was in charge of the Tangowahine public school. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

McPHEE, Corporal Dona, recently ld wounded, is the only son of Mr J Malcolm McPhee of Marua, Whangarei County. He is 23 yrs of age. He left with the Rifle Brigade, Earl of Liverpool's Own. Previous to enlisting he was engaged with his father in farming. He was a sergeant in the territorials. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

MILLER, Private Henry, a member of the Somes Island military guard, died at Wellington Hospital from malignant endocarditis following influenza. [AWN 26.10.1916] P.48

MORRIS, Private H B, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of the late Mr Wm Morris, Cork, Ireland, and has three brothers, all of whom are fighting for the Empire, one in German East Africa and two in other parts of the Imperial forces. Pvt Morris had not been in NZ more than 10 months when he volunteered for one of the early reinforcement drafts. At Gallipoli he was wounded three times, in one engagement he was shot through the head, in another he was struck on the head by a Turkish bomb which failed to explode but injured him by the original impact; and on a third occasion was wounded in a charge. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

NATHAN, Corporal B C, killed in action, was the only son of Mrs J A Miller of Khyber Pass Road, widow of the late Hon. J A Millar and the late Mr Nat. Nathan. Up to the time of his enlistment he was employed in Blenheim. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

NOBLE, Rifleman S J, who was killed in action on 15 September, was a native of Auckland, all his boyhood and youth being spent at Waitakere, Kaipara line. He afterwards worked in Gisborne and from there took up farming in the Hawkes Bay district. He sold his place to go to the front. He was 30 years of age and leaves a widow and two young children. His mother and sister live in Gisborne. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

OAKDEN, Mr H P of Grey St, Devonport, and his three sons have all taken part in recent operations in France. On his paternal side there are 7 generations of Army officers and on his motherís, a long list of Naval officers. Bombardier W. OAKDEN, the eldest son, recently reported wounded, served on Gallipoli before the evacuation. Of the two younger sons, one was wounded at Gallipoli but has recovered and is now at the front again. The father of the three soldiers left Auckland on 29 September 1915 as a member of the field ambulance reinforcements. He comes of fighting stock. On his fatherís side there were seven generations of army officers and on his motherís side a long list of naval officers. [AWN 19.10.1916] p.24

OLDBURY, Pvt Frederick William, aged 22 years, and Pvt George Edward OLDBURY, aged 19, sons of Mr J C Oldbury, Belle Vue Rd, Mt Eden, were reported wounded on 1 October. Both brothers were born in Turner St, Auckland, and attended the Newton East public school. Prior to enlisting Frederick was employed as a grocerís assistant to Mr W Winn, Khyber Pass, while George for many years was engaged in farming operations at Bombay with Mr Bambury. The two other soldier members of the family are Privates Charles and Henry OLDBURY [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

ORMOND, Lieutenant Alexander, Manchester Regiment, son of George Ormond of Mahia, NZ, killed in action. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.26

PALMER, Rifleman W W, who has died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mrs F Palmer of Coyle St, Edendale and was 33 years of age. He was employed in sawmill work and was well known in the Kaipara, Hokianga and Whangarei districts. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

PARRY, Private John, C.Company, 19th Reinforcements, died at Featherston Military Hospital, Thursday, of broncho-pneumonia following measles. [AWN 19.10.1916] P 49

PEMBERTON, Sergeant S, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr S Pemberton of Tauranga. Prior to his enlisting he was employed by his father. He was one of the first to enlist and left Tauranga on 13 August 1914 to join the main body. He was first wounded on 2 May 1915 but remained with his unit and was again wounded on 87 May, after which he spent five months in Malta Hospital. He again joined his unit before it proceeded to France and apparently escaped injury till he met his death on 27 September at the age of 23 years. He was for two years a member of the Te Puke Mounted Rifles and later belonged to the Tauranga Rifle Club. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

PENDERGRAST, Rifleman James, killed in action, was 29 years of age and the eldest son of Mr & Mrs Jno Pendergrast of Pokeno Valley. Rifleman Pendergrast, after being in Egypt for some months, was incapacitated with dysentery. Upon his recovery he rejoined his comrades and participated in the fighting against the Arabs, afterwards leaving for France, where he fell. He lived in Pokeno practically throughout his life and was educated at the Pokeno public school. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

PERRITT (sic), Corporal J, killed in action on 15 September, was 26 years of age and was born at Whangarata near Tuakau. He received his education at the school there and subsequently became a teacher in the King Country. He afterwards joined the staff of Messrs Green & Colebrook at Tuakau and some three years ago commenced farming at Morrinsville where he remained until enlisting. He was a keen footballer, filling the position of wing forward with great credit on many occasions. His parents and the other members of the family reside in Morrinsville. [AWN 12.10.1916] p.31

PIRRIT (sic), Private J A - Among those killed in action, he is the son of Mr J R Pirrit, formerly of Whangarata and now of Morrinsville. After serving as a pupil teacher at Pukekohe for some time, he entered the employ of Messrs Green & Colebrook of Tuakau. While he was at Morrinsville he enlisted. [AWN 12.10.1916] p.31

PIVOTT, Private E, reported as having died of wounds, was prior to his enlistment employed as baker to Messrs Corkill Bros of Aratapu. He was the youngest son of Mr W H Pivott of Piha and was 24 years of age. Another brother is at present in camp. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

ROBINSON, Captain Frank S, killed in action, began his military career as a private in the NZ Field Engineers and rose through the intermediate ranks to Lieutenant. He afterwards transferred into the NZ Garrison Artillery with the rank of Lieutenant. He was the first officer in Auckland to receive instructions to mobilize the garrison artillery forces on the evening when war was declared and went into camp at Devonport that night, being placed in charge of the signal station at Fort Victoria. Immediately on obtaining permission he joined the NZEF and left with the 4th Battery, NZ Field Artillery. After a short period of training in Egypt his battery was ordered to Gallipoli where he served until the evacuation, with one of the last guns to leave the peninsula. He then returned with his battery to Egypt and was transferred to the 11th Battery, NZFA, and ordered to France where, after six months' fighting, he was killed in action, having by this time attained the rank of Captain. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

ROSCOE, Corporal V E V - Mrs Roscoe of Manukau Road, Epsom, has received intimation from France to the effect that her son had sustained a severe head wound but was now progressing favourably. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.52

ROSIE, Private D W, killed in action was, prior to enlistment, in the service of the Union Steam Ship Co. as purser, his last steamer being the Wahine. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

SAIES, Rifleman Alfred, one of six sons of Mr J H Saies of Totara North, all of whom left the Dominion as members of one reinforcement draft, has been reported killed in action. One other brother, Frederick SAIES, is reported wounded and another is in hospital seriously ill. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.48]

SHAW, Private W, killed, was a single man 25 years of age. He was born in Cambridge and was the youngest son of Mr & Mrs Shaw of Palmerston Street, Hamilton. He was a carpenter by trade. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

SHAW, Rifleman William, killed in action, was a single man aged 25, youngest son of Mr Samuel Shaw of Palmerston Street, Hamilton. He was a carpenter and cabinetmaker and was employed at Te Kuiti when he enlisted. In the territorials he was a member of the 16th, Waikato, Regiment. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

SMITH, Private Frank, who was reported killed in action on 15 September, was born in the Gilbert Islands. He served nearly three years in the Atlas Engineering Co of San Francisco. He then travelled pretty well all over the Northern Pacific in auxiliary boats, ultimately finding his way to Fiji and during the latter part of his stay in the group was on the Tui Lovona and Mennie Ada. In May 1915, when calling for the second contingent, the Government of Fiji issued a proclamation barring the colour line from fighting for King and country alongside their white brethren. Frank Smith and a few of his friends left for NZ where he joined the second Maori contingent, serving for a time in Egypt and then on to France. He was a man of fine physique and very popular with everyone who knew him. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

TAIT, Gunner Christopher, Roy reported died of wounds on 5 October, was wounded in the left thigh, arm and hand on 25 September. He was the second son of Mr & Mrs John Tait of Rautangi Rd, Mt Eden and was 21 years of age. Gunner Tait was born in Masterton attending for many years the Masterton High School. At the time of enlisting he was engaged as ledger-keeper at the Hamilton branch of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co.Ltd. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

TALL — 9 Soldier Sons Mr & Mrs Benjamin Edward TALL, 93 Albany St, Dunedin, have eight sons wearing the Kingís uniform, or have done so, and another, the youngest, accepted for service at the Front. Mr Tall himself fought in the Indian Mutiny and the Maori Wars. The eldest son Benjamin Edward, was wound in the neck in the Boer War. Now living in Dunedin. Second son Daniel Thomas, wounded in the face in the Boer War. Now living in Auckland. Third son George Gilbert also fought in the Boer War and is now at the Front. Received shrapnel wounds in the shoulder. William TALL served in India with the Royal Horse Artillery and when transferred to France it was to serve in the Royal Fusiliers. He was in Ireland at the time of the Sinn Fein revolt and there won the Victoria Cross. Harry Phillips served in India with the Royal Horse Artillery. He was in the Loos battle where he was shot in the lungs. No word has been received since and he is supposed to be invalided. Jack served in India with the RHA, was transferred to England then to France Leonard Ernest enlisted in Dunedin, wounded at Gallipoli receiving five bullets in his right arm. He is now discharged and in Wellington. Charles Gilbert joined an early reinforcement draft and was wounded, is now back with his regiment. Arthur Simons, aged nearly 20, has enlisted with the 22 reinforcement and is waiting to go to the Front. [AWN 12.10.1916] p.32

TIMMINS — The sons of Mr John Timmins of Te Aroha responded willingly to the call for men and have suffered severely in recent engagements of the NZ forces. Last week it was reported that one of the sons, Private W M Timmins, had died of wounds and that two other, Charles and Edward, had been wounded. Later casualty lists contain the names of two other members of the family, Temporary Corporal T Timmins and Private Eugene Timmins, both wounded. [AWN 05.10.1916] p.51

WALKER, Lieut Colonel W R C, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, has left for Trentham Camp. He has been appointed to command the 25th Reinforcements. [AWN 19.10.1916, p.24]

WALLER, Lance Corporal L J, killed in France, worked for the Morrinsville Town Board for a year or two prior to enlisting. He leaves a wife and young family. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

WALLER, Lance Corporal Leonard James, killed in action, was the eldest son of the late James Henry Waller and Annie Waller of Te Kuiti. He was born in Westport and before enlisting was employed by the County Council in Morrinsville. He leaves a widow and two young children. Two brothers are on active service in France and a third is now on leave from HMS Pyramus. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

WATSON, Trooper Dick Crawford, DCM, who returned on Saturday was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal by General Sir William Birdwood for gallant work done on the occasion of the memorable landing at Gallipoli. He displayed commendable courage during the work of transferring the German vessel Lutzow into a hospital ship. He risked his life repeatedly in carrying wounded men to safety while under fire. He resided in Orini, Waikato, and was the first man in the Ngaruawahia Mounted Rifles to enlist. He was a medical student prior to going on active service and during the absence of medical officers was able to render invaluable aid to wounded men at the Front. He is much scarred by wounds and showed a decided disinclination to talk about his achievements when approached. [AWN 05.10.1916] p.19

WATSON, Lieut Ken, who has died of wounds in France and who before enlisting was an assistant engineer of the Public Works Dept in the Auckland District was one of four sons of Mr Robert Watson of Nelson, who responded early in the war to the call of Empire. One of the brothers, Gunner Roy WATSON, was killed at Gallipoli just before the evacuation. The other two soldier sons are Sergeant W T WATSON, serving in the Australian Artillery and Sergeant Walter WATSON. Another son, Noel, has reached military age and is going into camp shortly. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.48]

WHITMORE, Private Francis G, deceased, was one of three brothers in the NZEF, sons of Mr C E Whitmore of Paeroa. He was born at the Thames 36 years ago and was educated at the public school, Turua. Afterwards he worked as a sawmill machinist and joiner at Paeroa and Hamilton. He was a keen football player and received a gold medal as being the best all-round player in the Paeroa Rugby Team. Two of his brothers are now on active service in France. [AWN 26.10.1916, p.18]

WILKINSON, Private Harold, killed in action, was the only son of Mr J W Wilkinson of Whangarei. He was 23 years of age. He was educated at the Whangarei High School and, on leaving school, entered the office of Mr W A Carruth, solicitor. He was a keen hockey player and yachtsman. [AWN 19.10.1916] p.49

WILSON, Private William, killed in France, enlisted in the North Auckland Infantry. He was wounded on Gallipoli and was invalided to England, subsequently rejoining his battalion in France. He was a native of Lancashire and arrived in NZ 12 years ago. For a considerable period he was employed in the Public Works Dept in the King Country and ultimately joined the railway service, at Te Kuiti, whence he was transferred to Dargaville. He was 32 years of age. [AWN 19.10.1916] P.49

WOOD, Private Thomas George, killed in action, 21 years of age, was the second son of Mr F W Wood of Pukekohe, a member of the Franklin County Council. He received his education at the Patumahoe school and was for some time assisting his father in farming operations at Pukekohe. [AWN 12.10.1916] P.31

Return To HOME