Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

October 1915

ABBOT, Private Kenneth Ferris, Auckland Infantry Battalion, wounded at Gallipoli, now reported in King George’s Hospital, London, is the second son of Mr & Mrs R T Abbot, Milton Rd, Mt Eden. He and a younger brother were members of the advance party which occupied Samoa and were later attached to the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

ABBOT, Private Kenneth Ferris, reported wounded and now in King George’s Hospital, London, is the second son of Mr & Mrs N T Abbot, Milton Rd, Mt Eden. Pte Abbot and a younger brother were members of the advance party which occupied Samoa and later joined the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

ALDRIDGE, Lieutenant Arthur George, who is reported to have died on August 10 on the hospital ship Valdivia, as the result of wounds received at the Dardanelles on August 8, was born at Nelson and was the eldest son of the late Mr T A Aldridge, formerly stationmaster at Frankton Junction. Lt Aldridge was 30 yrs of age and shortly before leaving for the front was married to Miss Vernie YOUNG, daughter of the late Mr E C Young and Mrs Young of Christchurch. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

BREMNER, Trooper James H, died of wounds at Anzac on September 8, left Gisborne with the main mounted force. He was 23 yrs of age. He is the eldest son of Mr W G Bremner who also went to the Dardanelles and has been reported wounded whilst the latter’s second son, Tpr J R Bremner, has been wounded and is now in England. The youngest son, Gilbert, has also enlisted. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

BASSETT, Corporal Cyril, V.C. — In a letter to his parents, receiving in Auckland last week, he refers to the wounding of Sapper Cecil Whittaker of his company, the Divisional Signallers, NZ Engineers, on August 10. The death of Spr Whittaker has since been cabled. ‘Cecil was badly wounded on the same day as Dick TONKIN’ he says ‘and four of us — his best ‘pals’ — went out and carried him in. It was irresponsible to do this in the daytime on account of the hot rifle and shell fire. We had a bad time fetching him and another man, HEARNS, in. Cecil was wounded by shrapnel which must have touched his spine as he could not feel anything below his waist." [AWN 28.10.1815] P.20

BRACEY, Corporal J A, reported wounded while serving with the Australian forces, is the third son of Mr F Bracey of Waimamaku, Hokianga, one of the oldest settlers of that district. Cpl Bracey left NZ about three years ago for the Commonwealth, where he followed his occupation as a farmer. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

BROKENSHIRE, Trooper Albert, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, who has been wounded, was born at West Te Aroha where he was educated. He is 27 yrs of age and is the second son of Mr E Brokenshire, formerly of Te Aroha but now of Te Atatu, Henderson Point. Tpr Brokenshire was employed by the Waihi Gold Mining Co prior to the commencement of hostilities. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

BUTTERWORTH, Lieutenant H M, 9th Battalion, Rifle Brigade, killed in action near Ypres on September 28, was the only son of Mr G M Butterworth, a well known Christchurch resident and was 30 yrs of age. He was a master at Wanganui Collegiate School and left there in January last and went Home to offer his services to the War Office, obtaining a commission in the Rifle Brigade almost immediately. Lt Butterworth was a prominent North Island cricketer. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

CONNOR, Private Benjamin Roy, Wellington Infantry Battalion, who was wounded in August and is now at Malta, is a son of Mr A Connor, Princes St, Cambridge. He attended the Takapuna school and subsequently took up farming in the Waikato, leaving for Gisborne about four years ago. He enlisted with the main body. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

CORBETT, Lieutenant John H, 6th, Hauraki, Rifles, wounded and missing, is the fourth son of the late Mr S M Corbett of Waitekauri. He left for the front with the ? reinforcements. Lt Corbett was a keen and enthusiastic volunteer. He was employed by the Waihi Grand Junction Gold Co’s assaying staff. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

COURT, Private R H — After surviving many dangers, Pte Court, son of Mr Robert Court, Epsom, has been discharged from his regiment as unfit for further service. He was a member of the first contingent sent from Fiji and fought with the 4th Battalion, King’s Royal Rifles, in which the contingent was incorporated during the fierce battles at Ypres in April and May. He was stunned and blinded by the explosion of a shell but recovered then, while on leave, his sight again failed. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

DAVIS, Pte Albert John Vivien — Veterinary Corps, died of consumption at Dunedin Hospital last week. NOK: Mrs Davis, Invercargill. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.19

DAVOREN, Private G A, wounded on August 20, is the only son of Mr Alfred Davoren, Tauranga and cousin the of the late Lt Col Vessy DAVOREN. He is 21 yrs of age. Pte Davoren joined the Tauranga Mounted Volunteers under Colonel WARD at the age of 14 yrs, serving as bugler. He is a well known hockey player and amateur rider. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

DAWSON, Trooper James William, Auckland Mounted Rifles, who is reported to have been wounded at the Dardanelles on August 23, is a son of Mr James Dawson of Victoria Valley, Mangonui. He is not yet 21 yrs of age. He was well known in cricketing circles in the North. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

DORE, Rev Father, who accompanied the main body of the expeditionary forces and who was wounded, has been invalided to England. He is at the Military Hospital, Devonport, and is progressing slowly. [AWN 14.10.1915, p.20]

FAIRS, Trooper Cecil S, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, who died of dysentery on October 6, who was a son of Mrs C S Fairs, Dominion Road, and when war was declared he was working at Opotiki. According to an earlier report, he was disembarked from the hospital ship Maheno on Sept 12, slightly wounded. He was 27 yrs old. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

FISH, Lieutenant W W, R.N. - Advice has been received that Lt Fish, who is well known in Auckland as an officer in the service of the Union Steam Ship Co, was wounded some weeks ago while serving on HMS Oroposa, in the North Sea. Lt Fish was a member of the Royal Naval Reserve and left NZ to rejoin the navy when war broke out. A few weeks ago he was awarded the Royal Humane Society’s medal for rescuing a ship’s stoker at Glasgow. [AWN 21.10.1915] p.20

FOSTER, Trooper Henry M, Auckland Mounted Rifles, reported wounded, is the fourth son of the late Mr W J Foster of Coromandel. He is 23 yrs of age. Tpr Foster was farming in the Pukekohe district when he enlisted with the main body. He is one of four brothers now on active service. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

GENTIL, Trooper Cedric, Wellington Mounted Rifles, reported missing since August 27, is the eldest son of Mr A H Gentil of Devonport. He was born at Coromandel 23 yrs ago. Since leaving school he was farming in the north of Auckland but subsequently went south and at the time he joined the main body, was managing a run at Gisborne. A brother is now at the front with the Australian Imperial forces. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

GENTIL, Trooper Cedric, Wellington Mounted Rifles, who is reported to have been missing since August 27, is a son of Mr A H Gentil of Devonport. He is 23 yrs of age and was born at Coromandel. On leaving school Tpr Gentil took up farming and he was managing a run in the Gisborne district when he enlisted with the main body. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

GLASGOW, Trooper Wm C, Wellington Mounted Rifles, who is reported to have died of enteric at Heliopolis on September 17, was engaged in farming and contract work in the Onewhero district when he enlisted. He was born at Pukekohe 27 yrs ago; his parents reside at Tuakau. Tpr Glasgow left with the fifth reinforcements of the Auckland Mounted Rifles and was transferred to the Wellington Regiment while in Egypt. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

GREY, Quartermaster-Sergeant Arthur Edward, Auckland Mounted Rifles, wounded on August 28f, is the eldest son of Mrs M Monk of Helensville. He was born in Auckland 22 yrs ago. After attending the Te Pua school and the Auckland Grammar School, he joined the Helensville branch of the Union Bank of Australia. He was later transferred to Dargaville and then Auckland. QM Sgt Grey took a keen interest in military affairs and was a sergeant when he enlisted with the second reinforcements. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

HADDOCK, Private William, Field Ambulance — His death in action on August 9 was reported some weeks ago. A letter has now been received by his father Mr W J Haddock, from Lieutenant Colonel C E Thomas, officer commanding the Mounted Field Ambulance, who was himself killed on September 4. Writing from Chalk Hill, Anzac on August 11, Lt Col Thomas said "I was very sorry to lose Pte Haddock. The poor fellow was sitting outside his ‘dug-out’ resting after some very strenuous and dangerous stretcher-bearing work, when a bullet went right through his chest. He fell forward, then rolled on his side and said ‘I’m done’ and died. He was a very good lad and a favourite amongst the men. Please accept my sympathy in your loss. I have a photograph of the spot where we buried him and have notified the authorities of the exact spot on the map. It may be many months before I will be able to send you a photograph.’ [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

HALL, Trooper Eric Stanley, Auckland Mounted Rifles, reported wounded, is a son of Mr Wm Hall of Te Kowhai, Ngaruawahia. He is 22 yrs of age. Tpr Hall was born at Pahiatua and received his education at Maungahao?. He was farming with his brothers in the Waikato when he enlisted with the main body. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

HAMILTON, Private William Francis, who is reported to have died of wounds on August 8, was the eldest son of the late William Hamilton of Tapu, Thames and is a brother of Mrs R S Thompson of Hurstmere Road, Takapuna. He was a prominent footballer and took a keen interest in all branches of sport. He enlisted in the 6th, Hauraki, Company and left with the Main Expeditionary Force. He took part in the battle at the Suez Canal and the landing at Gallipoli. He was subsequently wounded in action and, on recovering from his wounds, he returned to the fighting line where he was wounded a second time and died of his wounds. Prior to enlisting he was employed in the timber and mining industries and was well known on the Hauraki Peninsula. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

HAMILTON, Private William Francis, 4th, Hauraki, Regiment, Auckland Infantry, who was reported to have died of wounds on August 10, was the eldest son of the late Mr Wm Hamilton of Taupo, Thames and brother of Mrs R S Thompson of Wainoni, Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna. Prior to enlisting Pte Hamilton was employed in the timber and mining industries and was well known on the Hauraki Peninsula. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

HEDLEY, Private William, who was killed in action at the Dardanelles on August 21, was the eldest son of Mr and the late Mr Anthony Hedley of the Grange, Opotiki, well known residents of the Bay of Plenty. Pte Hedley left NZ with the third reinforcements and was attached to the Otago Mounted Rifles. Prior to enlisting he was engaged in farming pursuits and sacrificed exceedingly bright prospects in his desire to serve his country. As an active member of the Opotiki Agricultural and Pastoral Association, the Masonic Lodge, Opotiki Jockey Club, Sheep-dog Trial Club and Polo Club, his services will be greatly missed. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

HILL, Sapper Alfred F, Field Engineers, reported wounded and now in hospital in Sheffield, is one of three brothers who have offered their service for the front. His father is Mr John Hill, well known in Auckland, as one of the oldest identities of the district, having arrived in NZ in 1842 in the Jane Gifford and served in the Maori War. Spr Hill, who is a carpenter by trade, is 38 yrs of age. He served in the South African war with the tenth contingent. A brother left in the Waikato Mounted squadron of the fourth reinforcements and the third and last brother leaves with the ninth reinforcements. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

HOULKER, Captain James, Canterbury Infantry Battalion, died of wounds, was reported killed in action and a few days later the base records office advised that he was wounded only. Captain Houlker in civilian life was a well known Nelson solicitor. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

HOWLETT, Private H G, Australian Imperial Forces, who is reported to be missing, is an Auckland boy. He was on a visit to Australia when war broke out and immediately enlisted. His father was the late Mr Edwin Howlett of Franklin Road. Pte Howlett is well known in Auckland, particularly among yachting men. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

HYLAND, Pte Alexander, who was injured in the tablet accident at Taupiri, is progressing well at the Waikato Hospital. The Senor House Surgeon, Dr MACKY, considers that his injury will not interfere with the use of his arm. [AWN 21.10.1915] P.17

JACK, Private E R, who has been killed in action, was 20 yrs of age and was the son of Mr N P Jack of Henderson. The late Pte Jack was born at Whangarei and prior to the outbreak of the war was engaged in the drapery business. He left NZ with the main body of the NZ expeditionary force and was in the machine-gun section of the Auckland Battalion. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

JENNINGS, Lieutenant H W, Royal Field Artillery — Word has been received by Mr W T Jennings, MP, that his son, who was slightly wounded on September 29 ‘somewhere in France’ has been admitted to the Dublin Castle Hospital. His brother, Sgt Alfred JENNINGS who, after being 10 weeks at Gallipoli, broke down in health and was sent to Malta, has been invalided to England. Another brother, Edgar, as already reported, was killed at Gallipoli on August 3. All three soldiers were born in Auckland. [AWN 21.10.1915] p.20

JOHNSTONE, Private Keith Carlisle, who has been wounded at the Dardanelles, is the youngest son of Mr A Johnstone, of Ngaroto, formerly of Roto-o-Rangi, Cambridge. He took a keen interest in hockey and played for two years in succession with the Waipa representatives. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

JURD, Lieutenant Ernest Albert, 4th, Waikato, Mounted Rifles, who was reported missing and is now believed to have been killed, was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs J R Jurd, Kutarere, Bay of Plenty. He was 23 yrs of age. Lt Jurd was born in Australia and came to NZ with his parents about 12 yrs ago. He was engaged in farming when he enlisted with the main body. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

JUSTIN, Private H W, Otago Infantry Battalion — Advice has been received by Mr Harry Justin by cable from the NZ base in Egypt that his son has received a bomb wound in the thigh and is now in Cairo. Some weeks ago it was reported that he had been wounded a second time on August 7. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

KELLY, Private Charles Stuart, Otago Infantry Battalion, who has been wounded, is the third son of Mr J Liddell Kelly of Devonport. He was born in Auckland 33 yrs ago and was on the literary staff of the Stratford Post when he enlisted, being subsequently transferred to the Otago Battalion. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

KETTLE, Lieut Desmond F s/o Mr C C Kettle, S.M., of Auckland, died while fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula. Details have just been received from an officer who participated in the charge in which Lieut Kettle was killed: "It is with feelings more of pride than of condolence that I pen these few lines in reference to Lieut Desmond Kettle’s glorious end. One can rest assured he died upholding all our highest ideals of manhood and traditions of our race. He was badly wounded in the charge but went on gallantly leading his men until the last. The next day his body was found in a Turkish trench with two dead Turks. We have every reason to be proud of him — he died a death few are privileged to die. He is, indeed, a hero." [AWN 28.10.1915] P.19

LEECH, J D L Sgt Major, KIA, Dardanelles, 19th May 1915, a native of Reefton, aged 36. Joined the Defence Dept as a member of the Torpedo Corps, Wellington and Permanent Artillery, Lyttelton. Joined the first reinforcements. His wife lived with her mother in Lyttelton. At the time Mrs Leech was in hospital undergoing an operation and died unaware of her husband’s death. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.21

LYES, Trooper Harry Campbell, Auckland Mounted Rifles, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mr & Mrs Albert Lyes, Newton Road, Auckland. He is 22 yrs of age. Tpr Lyes was employed by the Northern Steamship Co as a saloon waiter on the steamer Rarawa, running between Onehunga and New Plymouth, when he enlisted. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

MACKENZIE, Trooper Clutha — The son of NZ’s High Commissioner, he is now in the NZ Hospital at Walton on Thames. He went through a very bad time. He was struck by a shell on the morning of August 9. It was the shell which killed his commanding officer, Colonel MALONE. From the first, Tpr Mackenzie felt that his sight was destroyed but he made a terrible effort to prevent himself losing consciousness and crept on his hands and knees away from the scene of the conflict, down to a gully where he remained for a day. The situation was very trying, as he had to creep over the bodies of many slain. At last he was picked up and carried on a stretcher to a dressing camp but, as all the stretchers were required for men injured in the legs, he was told that his only chance of reaching hospital or a hospital ship was by walking four or five miles. He felt that, although terribly weak from loss of blood and other causes, if he could get anyone to guide him he would endeavour to reach a hospital ship. He was assisted and he managed the journey, which occupied some hours. He then got on board the ship which was shelled by the Turks but as a result of the shelling there was only one casualty. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

MARSHALL, Private Theodore Charles W, reported in a recent casualty list as having died of typhoid, was 22 yrs of age. He was the eldest son of Gunner Chas Marshall, RNZA, who was stationed at Devonport for nearly 30 yrs but was recently transferred to Wellington. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

MAGEE, Private Samuel Russell, who met his death on the troop train on the way to Wellington, was a son of Mr James Magee, contractor, of 5 Pitt St, Auckland, being one of a family of eight sons and one daughter. He was about 30 yrs of age. He was formerly employed at Schischka’s stores but was working with one of his brothers on the waterfront when he enlisted. He was a man of fine physique and a keen footballer. For some years he played for the City Rugby tea but at the commencement of last season he joined the City League Team. His brother, Robert MAGEE, is a well known representative footballer. [AWN 21.10.1915] p.20

MARTIN, Private L H Ranald, reported killed, was the only son of Mr G H S Martin of the Union S.S.Co Ltd, Wellington. He was descended from a military family, being the grandson of the late Major J R Martin, Royal Artillery, India, and a great-grandson of the late Sir James Ranald Martin, physician to the Indian Council and a noted army surgeon. He was also a near relative of the late Field Marshal Sir Donald Martin Stewart, Command in Chief of India. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

McCOMISH, Lieutenant James Doran — Mrs McComish of Maungawhau Rd, has received advice that her husband is returning on the Willochra. In a letter written on August 9 Dr A Challinor PURCHAS states that Lt McComish was then in hospital in Alexandria suffering from a compound fracture of the right arm and a wound in the thigh. The letter stated that he has only been in the trenches four days when he was wounded during the severe fighting on August 8. Lt McComish left with the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

McKINSTRY, Pte L G, A Co., 7th Reinforcements, died at Trentham from cerebro-spinal meningitis. He was the s/o Mr L McKinstry, Sarsfield St, Ponsonby, Auckland, aged 20. [AWN 07.10.1915]

McMENAMIN, Father, who went away as chaplain with the main body of the expeditionary forces, has been invalided home and is now on his way to New Zealand. [AWN 14.10.1914, p.20]

MELVILLE, Corporal James Alexander, 6th, Hauraki, Company, who was reported wounded on August 8, is a son of Mrs Melville, Rotorua. He is 23 yrs of age and was born at Paterangi, Waikato. Cpl Melville was employed at the post and telegraph office at Rotorua and Gisborne as a telegraphist. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

MOELLER, Trooper Albert Gordon, Wellington Mounted Rifles, who is reported to be missing, is a son of Mr Chas Moeller who was for many years light-keeper at Manukau Heads. He is 34 yrs of age. He served in the Boer War. He left withy the main body and was in hospital in Egypt for some time suffering from pneumonia. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

MOORE, Private R A, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry — About a month ago it was reported that Pte Moore had been wounded and admitted to a hospital in Alexandria on August 15. Advice was received on Monday that he died of wounds on a hospital ship on August 13. He was born in Waiuku and his mother, Mrs M C Moore, now resides in Calliope Rd, Devonport. Pte Moore was well known as a commercial traveller and as the owner of the yacht Mahaki. He was for some time proprietor of the Mansion House, Kawau. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

ORR, Trooper James J, killed in action on August 16, was a resident of Maheno. He was the younger son of Mr W J Orr of Maheno and a nephew of Messrs Clark Brothers, of Maheno flour mills and of Mr J Clark, Lee Street, Parnell. He left with the Canterbury Mounted Rifles in the main body. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

OSBORNE, Sapper H J, NZ Field Engineers, was admitted to No.15 General Hospital, Alexandria, suffering from a shrapnel wound in the thigh. He was convalescent and sent to England on Sept 18. On Wednesday last he cabled to his father Mr J Osborne of Hamilton that he had been discharged from hospital and had to report himself for duty in a fortnight’s time. Spr Osborne, who left with the fourth reinforcements, was an old Thames boy and previous to enlisting was on the staff of Messrs Ellis & Burnand, Hamilton. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

PAGE, Trooper Albert George, Otago Mounted Rifles, reported to have died of wounds on August 28, was well known in the Morrinsville and Cambridge districts, where he was employed at various occupations about six years ago. Tpr Page was born at Chertsey, Canterbury and was 24 yrs old. [AWN 21.10.1915] P.20

POWER, Sapper Robert H W, reported admitted to hospital, Tooting, England, is the eldest son of the late Mr H W Power of H M Customs, Auckland, and of Mrs F E Caton, One-tree Hill, Auckland. He is 21 yrs of age and had been serving with the signal troop of the 1st Australian Light Horse Brigade since the commencement of the war, leaving Sydney with the 1st Australian Imperial Force. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

REES, Sergeant William Percy M — Mr W J Rees of Hackett St, Ponsonby, who is at present in Perth, West Australia, has cabled to friends in Auckland that his son arrived at Malta on Sept 8 slightly sick. He is well known in Auckland. He left with the Army Service Corps. Another son, Private E O L REES, was wounded early in May while serving in the Auckland Infantry Battalion. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

REILLY, Private Jack, recently reported missing, was formerly well known in the Riverhead district, where he was for some time employed in the paper mills. He was engaged in bush contract work in the Wanganui district when he enlisted with the third reinforcements. Pte Reilly comes of a fighting family, being the youngest son of the late Mr J Reilly, who fought in the Crimean and Maori wars and is a grandson of Mr T Driver, a veteran of the Maori war. His mother lives at Wanganui. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

ROWE, Private Sydney, Auckland Infantry Battalion, who is reported to have been wounded for the second time, is a married man, his wife and two little boys now residing in Princeps St, Grey Lynn. He was in the employ of Messrs A Clark & Sons when he enlisted. He was born at Thames and is a son of Mr W J Rowe, Onehunga. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

SHARP, Pte T, who was previously employed as a porter on the Gore staff of the Railway Dept and who was proceeding to join the Trentham Rifle Brigade, fell under the north-bound express on Monday at Pukerau, 8 miles north of Gore and was killed. His mother resides in Tasmania. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.22

SINEL, Corporal E J, 6th, Hauraki, Regiment, Auckland Infantry, who is now in hospital at Heliopolis suffering from wounds received on August 9, is a married man, his wife now residing at Richmond Grey Lynn. He was a member of the advance party to Samoa and on returned to NZ he enlisted with the fourth reinforcements. He is a brother of Major W C Sinel, also of the Hauraki Regiment, who was wounded early in August and is now in hospital in London. [AWN 21.10.1915] P.20

SOMMERVILLE, Trooper Stanley Wharton, Wellington Mounted Rifles, who was reported missing on August 27, now reported killed in action on August 27, was the youngest son of the late Colonel J R Sommerville, V.D. of Wanganui and Mrs Sommerville, now resident in Glen Rd, Stanley Bay. Tpr Sommerville left NZ with the main force. A brother, Lieutenant J A Sommerville, also left with the main force and has lately been in hospital at Malta with enteric. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

STRINGER, Trooper Trevor, Auckland Mounted Rifles, son of Judge Stringer, was wounded in the right eye on 12 August when advancing to the top of Sari Bair to reinforce the Welshmen and Gloucesters. His eye was struck by a piece of shrapnel and it is doubtful if he will ever be able to see with it again……….Lieut WINDER was shot through the heart beside Tpr STRINGER……McNEISH had one leg blown right off by a shrapnel shell and the other left just hanging. He, however, gripped hold of a small shrub and told the doctors to go on with the operation without chloroform. [AWN 28.10.1915, more on p.30]

SULLIVAN, Private Thomas Griffith, Auckland Mounted Rifles, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mrs T G Sullivan of New Lynn. On arrival at Egypt Pte Sullivan contracted enteric fever, followed by an attack of sunstroke and he had not been long in the firing line when he was wounded. He was well known as a sportsman and athlete and was a representative hockey player. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

TAINE, James T, The Dunedinite drowned by the torpedoing of the transport, he was a member of the Fifth Reinforcements. He was on the headquarters staff as a specialist. He was the son of Mr Taine of Taine’s chemical stores. {Awn 21.10.1915, p.31]

THORPE — Two son of Mr J Thorpe of Herbert Rd, Mt Eden, are reported to have been wounded. The eldest son — Sapper Wm Thorpe, 33 yrs of age — was wounded while serving with the Field Engineers. He left with the fourth reinforcements and is now in hospital in England. Trooper Norman Edward Thorpe, the youngest son, was wounded on August 21. He enlisted with the Otago Mounted Rifles in the main body. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

TONKIN, Private Richard E, motor-cyclist, Otago Infantry Battalion — Reference to his death in action at Gallipoli on August 10 is made by Cpl Cyril BASSETT, V.C., in a letter received in Auckland by his mother, Mrs Bassett of Burleigh St. The writer describes how the Otago men led the charge on the day in question and says that in that gallant attack Pte TONKIN nobly and honourably gave up his life for his country. ‘He was my inseparable companion for nearly three months on the peninsula’ adds Cpl Bassett ‘and was the best and most unselfish of comrades and true friends. Dick had the position in the battalion as postal clerk and he could have stayed out of it altogether if he had chosen to do so but he was made of better stuff and one cannot but admire him for it.’ [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

TREACHER, Bugler Donald Roy, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry — Mrs A E Treacher of Kingsview Rd, Mt Eden, last week received a letter from a friend of her son announcing his death. Bugler Treacher was previously reported to have been missing since June 8. The communication just to hand states that he was killed instantaneously by a bomb whilst engaged in blowing up a Turkish trench work for which he had volunteered. Bugler Treacher was 19 yrs old when he enlisted. [AWN 28.10.1915] P.20

WALKER, Lieutenant William H, Maori contingent, reported wounded, is a native of Rotoiti. He was educated at St Stephen’s School, Parnell, and won the senior Makarini scholarship in 1901. After a period at Te Aute College he entered the theological college at Te Rau, Gisborne, to train for the Ministry, but left there for the Civil Service in 1906. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

WARREN, Private Arthur, wounded in action, is a son of Mrs Warren of Opotiki. He enlisted in Hokianga and left with the fourth reinforcement draft. He is a nephew of Mr Geo Matchett, a well known resident of the Opotiki district. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.53

WASHER, Sapper William Charles, who was wounded on August 20, is the eldest son of Mr William Washer, Horotiu, Waikato. His early years were occupied in farming and he also spent a few years dairy farming in the Taranaki district. Later he resided in Dunedin, taking over the management of the Calcutta and Foochow Tea Co., in which business he was well known. He went to the front with the front reinforcements. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

WEBB, Gunner of Dunedin, No.2 Howitzer Battery, who was on the torpedoed transport, in a letter to his father says: "I was in the boat which capsized. There were 57 men in the boat, eight above its full complement. The ship was torpedoed at 9..45 a.m. We were picked up by a French torpedo-boat at 2.15 p.m. Two torpedoes were fired, one hit the ship. The deck on which we were sleeping was blown to matchwood and several men were killed. The troops were orderly but one of the crew in the boat was unnerved and cut one of the falls, capsizing the lot of us into the water. Only three of our crowd are missing and the whole ship’s death roll will not reach 30." [AWN 21.10.1915, p.31]

WHITAKER, Sergeant Major Arthur Harry, who is suffering from a bullet wound in the skull and partial paralysis and returned to NZ by the Tahiti is suffering from a relapse. He is at present in a private hospital in Christchurch. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

WILKIE, Captain Alexander Herbert, Wellington Mounted Rifles, reported to be in hospital, was a public accountant and auditor and prior to joining the Wellington section of the NZ expeditionary force was practicing at Ohakune and Raetihi. He is a son of the late Mr James Wilkie, a well known South Island journalist, being born at Oxford, Canterbury, in 1878 and was educated at Ashburton. He joined the Ashburton Rifle Volunteers in 1893 and subsequently transferred to the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry in which he won a shooting cup. He joined the first NZ contingent and served throughout the South African war from 1899 to 1902. He was at the Veroeninging camp in 1902 when peace was declared. [AWN 21.10.1915] P.20

WILLIS — A tablet in memory of Corporal Brian Willis, eldest son of the Ven Archdeacon Willis of Cambridge, who died of wounds, has been erected in the Mangonui Hospital by friends in that district. The inscription on the tablet is as follows — "In memoriam: Corporal Brian de Laval Willis. Died at Alexandria of wounds received in action at the Dardanelles, May 18, 1915. ‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.’ " The amount subscribed for the memorial was more than sufficient to pay for the tablet and at the wish of contributors the balance was devoted to placing four beds in the hospital. Corporal Willis was in the Survey Dept. For many years his work lay chiefly in the neighbourhood of Te Awamutu and Hamilton but he had been engaged in the North for about two years when he enlisted. [AWN 21.10.1915] P.20

WILSON, Trooper Leslie, Auckland Mounted Rifles, wounded, is the second son of the late Mr P Wilson of Newstead, Waikato and of Mrs Wilson, 64 Vauxhall Rd, Devonport. Tpr Wilson was farming at Newstead when he enlisted with the main body. [AWN 07.10.1915] P.21

The complicated way in which the official returns of casualties are compiled, led to the inclusion on Thursday in the list of fatalities, of three Auckland cases which should have been under the heading ‘slightly wounded’ viz, HUGHES, Michael Daniel, wounded shoulder. PATTERSON, Thomas Stephen, wounded hip REID, Lewis Harold, wounded knee: Son of Mr Alex. S Reid, Herbert Rd, Mt Eden, cabled to his parents from Malta on Wednesday that he had recovered from his wounds which were slight, had been passed by the doctor & was about to return to active service with the expeditionary force at the Dardanelles. He is a young man of robust physique, having been farming with his two brothers at Karaka after leaving Auckland Grammar School until he left with the 4th reinforcements. [AWN 14.10.1915] P.21

Return To HOME