Search billions of records on

MAY 1917

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

MAY 1917

BEATTIE, Private Robert Avon, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr Robert Beattie of Waimamaku, Hokianga and formerly of Bulls, Rangitikei. He spent six years with Mr C L Daniels, architect, of Feilding, leaving to go farming at Hokianga. He left NZ on 1 May 1916 and was reported missing on September 14. News has now been received that he was killed in action on the Somme. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.21]

BISHOP, Lieut Alfred W, Hampshire Regt, son of Mr H W Bishop, SM, of Christchurch, has been killed in France. He was 34 years of age and was a well known barrister and solicitor in Christchurch. He went to England in May 1916 and joined an officers’ training corps, obtaining his commission in December last. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

BOLES, Sergeant (acting CSM) G H, NZRB has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. He reorganized his men and led them forward under heavy fire. Later he dug in and maintained his position until relieved thirty-six hours later. He set a splendid example of courage and coolness throughout. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.19

BOWE, Gunner Cornelius F, who was killed in action on 5 March, is a son of Mr T Bowe of Foxton and is well known in the Waikato district. He left NZ in June 1915 and fought through the Gallipoli campaign up to the time of the evacuation. Since then his battery has taken part in operations in France. Gunner Bowe was prominent in hockey, football and cricket. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.19

BOWLER, 2nd Lieutenant David Cornelius, NZ Rifle Brigade, who "led a successful raid against the enemy with great gallantry, captured a large number of prisoners and effected his withdrawal at a Critical time with marked ability" has been awarded the Military Cross. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.21]

BOYD, Bugler William, a returned soldier, Main Body Expeditionary Force, died at Auckland Hospital on Wednesday after a long illness. He was wounded in the head during the land at Gallipoli, later suffering shrapnel wounds in the leg which necessitated his return to NZ. He was in hospital from February 1916 until his death. He is the son of William BOYD, Northcote St, North Sydney. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.17

BROWN, Corporal A W, NZMGC has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action. He established and maintained communications and frequently repaired wires under very heavy fire. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.19

BROWN, Sergeant C, NZ Divisional Train, NZASC, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout and has carried out his duties in a most able manner. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.19

CAPPER - Of the family of the late Mr E H Capper of Ohinewai, three sons have been in the Empire forces. One has returned to NZ medically unfit and another has been wounded twice and is now suffering from shell shock. The eldest son, now in France, also saw service in the Boer War with the veteran forces. Seven of Mr Capper’s grandsons have gone to the front, one of whom lost his life at Gallipoli, while two have returned to NZ after having been wounded. One son in law is also now on the French frontier. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.17

COLMAN, Lance Corporal A T, who has been in the Walton on Thames Hospital for nine weeks suffering from debility, is now convalescent. He saw service in the South African war. His wife and family reside at John Street, Ponsonby. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

COOKE, Sergeant Lancelot Eric, who has been reported wounded, is the only son of Mr W A Cooke of Queen Street. He left NZ with the Main Body in the mounted division and was at Gallipoli from about a fortnight after the landing till the evacuation, receiving his promotion in the field. He also fought in Egypt. Sgt Cooke was wounded in the hand in December and again, in the back, about 20 April. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.19

COOPER, Lieutenant Robert E, R.G.A., of Auckland, arrived about a year ago to join the Imperial Forces and went to France. After some months service he joined the headquarters staff. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.19]

COULTER, Private J P, Corporal F J EARLEE, re both prisoners of war at Bilemedik, Turkey; also Lance Corporal John FORRESTER and Private G F MONK, at Afion Kara Hissar. The parcels sent to the prisoners in Turkey are now beginning to reach them, FORRESTER having received two and MONK having acknowledged no fewer than seven on the postcard received from him. Nearly all the Christmas parcels sent to Germany by the NZ Prisoners’ Dept have been acknowledged. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.17]

CRUM, Private Fred A, reported died of wounds on 9 May 1917, was the eldest son of Mr Albert Crum of New Lynn. He was born at Ashburton and finished his education at the Auckland Grammar School where he was a keen rifle shot. At the outbreak of war, though only 19 years of age, he enlisted with his territorial unit, No.1 Field Ambulance. Leaving NZ with the Main Body, he went through the Gallipoli campaign and after the evacuation was laid up with appendicitis for three weeks, his only absence from duty. He was then transferred to the Mounted Field Ambulance with which he was serving at the time of his death. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.19

CUTHBERTSON, Sergeant W J, who has been awarded the Military Medal, is a native of Co. Tyrone, Ireland. He was a resident of Auckland for some years, having been engagted on the commercial Staff of the WEEKLY NEWS. He enlisted in one of the early reinforcements as a private and gained promotion at the front. He was wounded in the wrist by a piece of shrapnel in February last whilst Bringing in a wounded soldier from ‘No Man’s Land’. Just previously he had rendered meritorious service by going out on to ‘No Man’s Land’ in charge of the wire-cutting party. He subsequently was under treatment in the Walton on Thames Hospital. [AWN 31.05.1917, p.22]

DANDO, Trooper P A, son of Mr H A Dando of the staff of the Auckland Tramways Co, has been wounded, in injuring being a gunshot wound on the left foot. He left NZ in November last. Before his enlistment he was a cadet on a farm near Ngaruawahia. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.19

DAY, 2nd Lieut E V G, RB, who is a son of Mr V G Day, SM, was formerly adjutant at Ashburton. He received his commission in the Rifle Brigade a month or two ago. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

DEVENEY, Private John M, youngest son of Mrs Deveney of Takanini, Manurewa, has been wounded for the second time. Prior to his enlistment early in 1915 he was farming at Pokeno. Before he was of age — he spent both his 20th and 21st birthdays in the trenches — he saw several engagements in Egypt with the Auckland Mounted Rifles and he received his first wound at Gaza. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.19

DOIDGE — An interesting letter from an officer described how Corporal Edwin Barley (Jack) DOIDGE Met his death. He was formerly in charge of the illustrations department of the ‘Weekly News’ and joined the 8th reinforcements. He came from Cootamundra, NSW, and had been in NZ some years prior to the war. Soon after arrival at the front he was wounded by shrapnel but recovered and returned to the firing line. He was later reported missing, believed killed, but the letter dispels any hope that he might possibly still be alive. The officer, writing to Cpl DOIDGE’s mother, on 28 February 1917, said:- "Dear Madame, as one of Corporal Doidge’s officers, it is my painful duty to convey to you the sad news that Jack is reported missing and believed killed. From what our officer Captain KING told me on return to the front line, I cannot even offer you any hope of his having been captured alive. We were reassembled in our front line after a successful raid on the enemy. Captain King on his return told me he was with Cpl Doidge when he was killed instantly by a bomb in the enemy front line. Captain King killed his assailant in return with another bomb. Just after our Captain had finished speaking to me, he was killed by a shell and accordingly that is the only evidence the authorities have with regard to Jack’s fate. Jack was a fine soldier and a splendid NCO. He was highly respected by men and officers alike. Please accept on our behalf our united sincerest sympathy. Yours, very truly, T Johnson, 2nd Lieutenant. [AWN 24.05.1917] p.48

EDWARDS, Lieut E, 22nd AIB, is in the Third London General Hospital, Wandsworth, from France, suffering from gunshot wound and excision of the left eye. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

EGAN, Lance Corporal J P, Otago Regiment, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He displayed great courage and determination in rescuing wounded men under heavy fire. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.19

FERGUSON, 2 Lieut Robert Arthur, Royal Fusiliers, younger son of Mr Ferguson of Timaru has been killed in action. He was 19 years of age. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

GAIR, Sergeant C, NZRR, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout and has at all times set a splendid example. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.19

GEMMINGS, Private T A C, a returned soldier, died at Kopu on Friday and was accredited a military funeral on Sunday. He left with the main body and was invalided home twelve months ago, having been shot through the lungs at Gallipoli. Three sons of Mr & Mrs GEMMINGS have given their lives for their country during the present war, the other two having been killed in action, while a fourth has been invalided to England. Two sons in law are also serving. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.48

GIBBON, Private Harold, reported as killed on 5 May, was well known in Auckland as a seaman. For the last three years being enlisting, he was in the employ of the Auckland Harbour Board as deck hand on the tug Te Awhina. He is the third employee of the Harbourmaster’s department who has been killed fighting for his country. His father and mother reside at Masterton. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.45

HAMILTON, 2 Lieut H D, RFC, is one of many officers in that branch of the service who have been reported missing during the last few weeks. He belongs to Nelson, served with the NZ Mounted Rifles on Gallipoli where he was wounded. He received his commission in the RFC last June. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

HARDIE — Cable advice received by Mrs Hardie of Northcote, that her son Engineer Sidney White HARDIE died on service on 1 April. He was born in Auckland 33 years ago and went to England to complete his education, where he subsequently established a successful business as a dentist in Chester which he relinquished after the outbreak of war. For some time he did duty in the Civic Guards but eventually joined the Red Cross Boat Patrol Service. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.18

HENDERSON - An excellent record of fighting sons is that held by Mrs Allan Henderson of Disraeli St, Mt Eden, formerly of Kihikihi. Two are at present on active service and one made the supreme sacrifice at Gallipoli. John and James left with the Main Body, James losing his life on 12 May 1915. John was severely wounded twice but is now back in the firing line. Robert is now on the way to the front. All men were previously farming at Kihikihi. [AWN 17.05.1917] p.16

HASWELL - Six sons of Mr W H Haswell of Auckland are serving in His Majesty’s forces. John HASWELL has been serving in the Royal Navy for the last 18 years. Trooper Harry HASWELL left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force, fought through the Gallipoli campaign and is at present with the Auckland Mounted Rifles in Egypt. Sergeant William HASWELL went away with the earliest reinforcement draft and is now with the NZ Field Artillery in France. Corporal Drummond HASWELL also fought at Gallipoli and is now in the Auckland Mounted Rifles in Egypt. Trooper Tui HASWELL is also with the same corps and Bert HASWELL, the last male member of the household, is now on his way to the front. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.52

HERRICK, Lieutenant Arthur Desmond, Wellington Mounted Rifles Regt, has been awarded the Military Cross for "handling his machine-gun detachment with great courage and ability throughout the operations, thereby affording most effective help to his regiment." [AWN 03.05.1917, p.21]

HODDER - The Hodder family of Seddon Rd, Remuera, stand out conspicuously amongst the young New Zealanders who are doing their share of the Empire’s work. It was recently reported that Cpl Charles HODDER, Auckland Mounted Rifles, was wounded on 19 April. This is the second time he has been struck down. He left with the Main Body and took part in the Gallipoli campaign. Trooper A S HODDER, 16th Lancers, a veteran of the Boer War, has been twice wounded. Rifleman A HODDER left with the Main Body in the Rifle Brigade and is still at the front. Private R HODDER has been away since June 1916. Gordon HODDER also enlisted for one of the reinforcement drafts and after spending five months in camp, was discharged medically unfit. [AWN 17.05.1917] p.16

HUBBARD, Captain A C, Auckland Infantry, awarded the Military Medal, displayed great courage and initiative in leading his company in the assault on the enemy front line. Later he was largely instrumental in rescuing several wounded men. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

JENNINGS, Mr A G, son of Mr W T Jennings, MP, has been granted a commission in the Northumberland Fusiliers. He was previously with the Main Body NZEF and was invalided owing to concussion. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.19]

JONES, Sergeant Len., youngest son of Mr H Jones, Onehunga, has been admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital suffering from dysentery. At the outbreak of war he was one of the first to enlist. He was wounded in the first landing at Gallipoli and shortly afterwards had a nearly fatal attack of dysentery and enteric. Prior to enlisting he was on the mail staff of the GPO. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.21

KEMP, Lieut C G, M.B., R.A.M.C., attached to the Northampton Regt, is the youngest son of Dr W G Kemp, well known in Wellington, He is an old boy of Wanganui College and at the time war was declared was in practice at St Albans, Herts. He worked unceasingly for two days under very heavy fire and succeeded in evacuating a large number of wounded. He displayed great courage and determination throughout the operations. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

KING, Private L C, Australian Forces, eldest son of Mr W J King, Ohaeawai, has died of wounds while a prisoner of war in Germany. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

LEES, Private John Edward, son of Mr T W Lees of Onehunga, has been killed in action while serving with the Canadians. Pte Lees, who was just over 21 years of age, enlisted in Canada. Mr Lees’ other son William is also serving with the Canadians in France. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

LEVINGE, Lance Corporal Henry M T T, NZ Rifle Brigade, who was killed in action on 17 March, was a son of Staff Surgeon H Levinge and a member of a family which has been fighting for the British flag since the days of the Crusades. He took part in the Somme battle and came through it with only a scratch on the cheek from a shrapnel bullet. Deceased was the third member of the Levinge family to give his life in the present war. The first to fall was Sir Richard Levinge, Bart., of Knockdrin Castle, Mullingar, Ireland, which has been the seat of the Levinge family for 200 years. Sir Richard was in the First Life Guards. Another, a lieutenant in the Imperial Army, was killed eight months ago. Dr Levinge has received a letter from a comrade of his son’s in the Rifle Brigade, expressing the warm sympathy of the corps in his loss. The writher says: "We appreciated to the full his soldierly qualities and unselfish nature as he was so keen and patriotic. He seemed rather sad and disappointed lately at the continuation of somewhat monotonous trench warfare. He died as a gallant soldier on the field of honour, in a part of the country where most honour is to be obtained. To die in the front line trench, facing the inhuman wretches, as we know them, unflinchingly, is honourable to the last degree and he was killed instantaneously, being struck by a piece of shell in the right forehead…..He is buried in one of the military cemeteries in an old forest behind the trenches." [AWN 31.05.1917] P.45

LYES, Private A H C, youngest son of Mr Albert Lyes, Newton Road, was killed in action in France on 19 April. He was 21 years of age. He had been twice seriously wounded and shortly after returning from his second sojourn in hospital met his death. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Napier Street school. Prior to leaving on active service, he was a saloon steward in the employ of the Northern Steamship Co. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.52

LYES, Trooper Harry Campbell, killed in action, was a son of Mr Albert Lyes of Newton Road and enlisted in the Auckland Mounted Rifles for one of the earliest reinforcement drafts. Prior to his enlistment he was in the employment of the Northern Steamship Co, on one of its West Coast steamers. Twice before his fatal injury, he was seriously wounded. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.18

MARKS, Rifleman R, NZRB, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent, good work throughout and has at all times set a splendid example. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

MATHIAS, Lieutenant Gerald, Canterbury Mounted Rifles, who "led his troop with great courage and determination and succeeded in capturing between 40 and 50 of the enemy" has been awarded the Military Cross. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.21]

McCONACHY, Sergeant W, NZRB, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal "for Conspicuous gallantry in action. He carried out several dangerous patrols prior to a raid and obtained most valuable information. Later, during the raid, he led his party with great gallantry." [AWN 03.05.1917, p.19]

McKENZIE, Lieutenant John, who died of wounds in France on 21 February, was born in Lochbroom, Ross-shire, Scotland and came to NZ with his parents in 1901. He was prominent in football, hockey and tennis circles and was a player of more than average ability. He came from Dannevirke to the Auckland Grammar School and subsequently joined the teaching profession. He was teaching at Mataitai when he enlisted in the Main Body, 3rd, Auckland, Infantry Regiment as a private. He took part in the landing at Gallipoli and rose through the non-commissioned ranks to second lieutenant. With 13 others he was in the rearguard to the battalion during the evacuation. In Egypt, when the Second Brigade was formed, he received his second star and proceeded to France where he fought until his death. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.52

McNAUGHTON, Private W A, NZ Rifle Brigade, who was reported last Friday killed in action, was a son of Mrs R McLeod of Putaruru. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.45

McNEILL — Information has been received by Mrs A R McNeill of Ellerslie that her son Gunner Roy B McNEILL, who was serving in the Australian Artillery in Frances, was reported missing on 15 April. He is believed to be a prisoner of war in Germany. [AWN 10.05.1917] p.18

METCALFE, Lieutenant Henry E, of the NZ Engineers, who was killed in action in France on 12 April, was a son of Mr Henry H Metcalfe, civil engineer. He was born in Adelaide and came to Hamilton with his parents as a child in 1883, receiving his education at the Auckland Grammar School and the Thames School of Mines. He served his articles as an engineer to his father in Auckland and in 1904 went to England to gain further experience in his profession, being admitted to the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1905. Returning to NZ in 1909, he joined his father as a partner and was professionally engaged on many water and drainage schemes in the North Island. On the formation of the NZ Tunnelling Corps he joined it as a commissioned officer and he has been engaged with the corps on the western front ever since it went to France. Lt Metcalfe was much interested in mining and geology and was also a yachtsman, having been the owner of the yacht Ngatira. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.18

MILLAR - Four sons in the Expeditionary Force and one now in training to qualify for active service is the splendid record of the family of Mr Charles Millar of Komata Paeroa. Allan, who is a member of the Rifle Brigade, was wounded on 30 April. He took part in the operations against Senusi on the Egyptian frontier and was later transferred to the western front. Harold, is in the Engineer Corps and Norman is in the Artillery, both being at the front. Godfrey, of the Machine-gun Corps, is now on the way to sphere of action. The grandfather of these soldiers, Mr W JOHNS of Parnell, took part in the Maori Wars. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.17

MOWETT, Lieut (temp Capt) J E H, Auckland Infantry, awarded the Military Medal — During a raid on the enemy’s trenches, led his men with great gallantry and himself accounted for three of the enemy. Later, although severely wounded, he continued to direct the operations. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

MUNRO, 2 Lieut F J, RGA, is reported wounded. He was for some time on the staff of the Weekly News. Returning to England about the time war broke out he enlisted as a gunner in the Garrison Artillery and received his commission for gallantry in the field. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

NATHAN, Mr J E, son of Mr D J Nathan of Wellington, has returned to England after serving for more than a year as a driver in the First British Red Cross unit on the Austrian front in Italy. He recently was awarded the Italian War Medal for dressing wounded in the fire trenches. He has returned to England with the object of getting special medical advice. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

PICKERING, Private John, late assistant scoutmaster, Henderson, who has been in the Brockenhurst Hospital since February 27 suffering from deafness and lung trouble, is showing some improvement. His twin brother, Private William PICKERING, received shell shock at the Somme on 15 September and was again admitted to hospital in France on 21 March owing to illness. Both men are serving with the Lewis gun detachment. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

PITKETHLEY - Of the sons of Mrs J Pitkethley of Crummer Road, Ponsonby, two have suffered severely in battle and the third is now in the fighting ranks. Lawrence PITKETHLEY went away with the original Expeditionary Force, was wounded more than once and was on a hospital ship that was sunk by the enemy. He is now in an English hospital. Norman PITKETHLEY received a wound in the thigh and internal injuries. James PITKETHLEY is still at the front. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.52

PRICKETT, Private J W, reported as having died of disease, was the son of Mr J Prickett, Hamilton. He sought to enlist with the Main Body, Expeditionary Force, but was then rejected on account of his weight. His services were not accepted until the middle of last year. Private Prickett, aged 27, was prominent in football and rowing and represented Poverty Bay in both sports. Whilst in Auckland he played in the Marist Bros senior football team in 1913, 1914 and 1915 and he has also played for the St Mary’s Club in Hamilton. By occupation he was a slaughterman. His elder brother James PRICKETT is serving with the Australian Forces. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.48

PULLING, Lieutenant K L, RN, DSO, was recently killed in an aeroplane accident with a brother officer. He received the DSO for bringing down the last Zeppelin on the Norfolk coast. The Admiralty deeply deplored his loss, remarking that the British Air Service had lost one of its most distinguished and daring officers. The deceased was the eldest son of the late Mr G Perriam Pulling of London and of Mrs J L Thompson, Raetihi and grandson of the late Captain Laston, RN, and the Count and Countess de Hault of France. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.19

REID, T.Lieutenant Allan George, RAMC, eldest son of Mr James Reid of Milton, has been awarded the Military Cross. He has been in the army for a little more than a year and was for some time attached to a Highland division in England. He went to the front four months ago with a Field Ambulance of the Royal Naval Division and has been decorated for his services at the battle of the Ancre, in which another New Zealander, Lieut Col FREYBURG, gained the VC. Lt Reid’s performance is officially described as follows: "He tended the wounded under very heavy fire and worked continuously for 36 hours in command of a bearer subdivision, which was operating in a forward area." [AWN 24.05.1917, p.45]

SAXBY, 2 Lieut W G, of Tokomaru Bay, RFA, is reported wounded. He came to England last July and trained for his commission at St Johns Wood. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

SCHIFF, 2 Lieut Alfred Sydney Borlase, R.B., Imperial Regiment, was killed in action on 9 April. He was the only son of Mr E Milton Schiff and was 10? years old. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

SENIOR, Lieut C H S, Auckland Infantry, awarded the Military Medal — Although wounded, continued to lead his platoon with great gallantry and carried out the task allotted to him. He has previously done fine work. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

SIMPSON, Rifleman Harold B, reported wounded, is the second son of Mr R J Simpson of the ‘Weekly News’ room staff. He was educated at the Devonport School and Auckland Grammar School. After leaving school he joined the Union Steam Ship Co and prior to enlisting was assistant purser on the Tarawera. He left NZ as corporal but was transferred to the Rifle Brigade on arrival in France. He was wounded in the neck and is at present at the NZ General Hospital, Brockenhurst, England. [AWN 03.05.1917] p.21

SPROTT, 2 Lt M W C, Norfolk Regt, is the elder son of Bishop Sprott of Wellington. He is a graduate of Victoria College, Wellington and also a BA of Cambridge. At the conclusion of his university course he was appointed assistant master of Victoria College, Jersey. He was commissioned to the Norfolk Regt in November 1914. During a raid on the enemy’s trenches he carried out the task allotted to him with conspicuous success and showed great pluck in getting back the wounded under very heavy fire. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

STALLARD, Lieut F J W, Field Artillery attached to the Trench Mortar Battery, awarded the Military Medal — Remained, at great personal risk, in the open under very heavy fire and passed from mortar to mortar, personally supervising repairs. He set a splendid example to his men and kept his battery in action throughout the raid. [AWN 31.05.1917] p.20

STEELE, Thomas — The news of his death was received with wide regret in Westmere and Wanganui districts. He was killed in action while serving with the Canterbury Mounted Rifles. He arrived in NZ nine years ago and worked at Moawhango station and afterwards at Westmere where he had charge of Mr J Donald’s Holstein herd during Mr Donald’s absence in America. Subsequently he had charge of a milk round in Wanganui and became generally known and liked. He left NZ with the eighth reinforcements and joined the Canterbury Mounted Rifles. He was 27 years of age. The esteem in which he was held in Westmere was shown at a memorial service in Westmere Methodist Church where a large gathering of residents and friends came to pay their last respects to a fine soldier. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.19

SYMONS, Sergeant Harris ?????, who died of wounds on 30 April, was the only son of Mr & Mrs A M Symons of Kawhia and was 24 years of age. At the time of his enlistment he was working on the government survey at Gisborne. He left with the Main Body, Field Artillery, and was for some time at Gallipoli where he was wounded. He was then drafted to France where he received promotion. On 30 March he received wounds which resulted in his death. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.48

THOMAS, Gunner Reginald Augustus, son of Mr J A Thomas, of Waharoa, has been admitted to Walton on Thames Hospital suffering from a dislocated elbow. Gunner Thomas left NZ as a sergeant and with his brother Sydney was transferred into the artillery in Egypt before leaving for France. Prior to enlisting he was engaged in cheese making at Kaupokonui, Taranaki. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.52

TOSSWILL, Lieut L W, Royal Warwickshire Regt, of Christchurch, has been wounded. He left NZ with the NZEF and received his commission after being wounded on Gallipoli. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

TREWHEELA, Sergeant W, who has been killed in action whilst fighting with the Australian Forces and whose name was transformed in telegraphing the official message which was published early last week in the ‘Treasure’, was the son of Mr S Trewheela of Lake Road, Takapuna, and one of four brothers who have been fighting for the Empire. The other three are in the NZEF. Cpl Joseph TREWHEELA has been reported wounded but his two brothers are still in the firing line. [AWN 24.05.1917] P.17

VICKERY, Company Sergeant Major E M, Divisional Signal Corps, NZE, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He has performed consistent good work throughout and has on several occasions repaired wires under heavy fire. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

WARD, Mr Vincent, second son of Sir Joseph Ward, has obtained a commission in the RNVR. Mr Ward was in Canada when war broke out and about that time had a nervous breakdown due to over work. He has endeavoured on several occasions to get a commission in the army and was for some time in an officer training camp but was again put on the sick list. He is now an assistant paymaster in the RNVR. Lieut Gladstone WARD, A.S.C., Sir Joseph’s third son, left England last week for one of the fronts. [AWN 03.05.1917] P.19

WASTNEY, Private Nolan Dyson, killed in action on 9 April, 1917, was the eldest son of the late Mr Edward Wastney, for some time connected with the National Bank of New Zealand. Pte Wastney, whose mother resides at Onerahi, was only 22 years of age when he met his death as a member of the Australian Expeditionary Force. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.18

WEBBER, G, M.G. Corps, Imperial Regiment. Described as of Auckland, previously reported wounded, now reported died of wounds. Mr G K Webber, an artist, came to England in 1913 and on the outbreak of war enlisted in the Royal Fusiliers, crossing to France in 1915. [AWN 31.05.1917] P.19

WILKINSON, Acting Sergeant Major Charles Te Kiwi, whose death in action was reported last week, was born at Otorohanga in 1893 and was a son of the late Mr G T Wilkinson, Judge of the Native Land Court. He received his education at the Otorohanga school and later at King Edward’s College, Auckland. He was a keen athlete and took an interest in all sport. He joined an early reinforcement as a private, saw service on Gallipoli and was present at the evacuation. Then he was drafted to France. On 20 April he received wounds which resulted in his death. [AWN 10.05.1917] P.19

WOOD, Private Frank Herbert, Machine-gun Corps, Australian forces. Prisoner of war at Dulmen. He was captured at Pozieres in August last and the next of kin is his sister Mrs W Williams, Stratford. [AWN 03.05.1917, p.17]

Return To HOME