Search billions of records on

MARCH 1917

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

March 1917

ALEXANDER, Lieutenant G D, Divisional Signal Co., NZE, deceased — awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Prior to securing his commission he gained the award for conspicuous good work and devotion to duty during the campaign. In handing the medal to Mr E B Alexander of Epsom, father of the deceased soldier, Sir James Allen said he trusted the decoration would be treasured as a splendid memorial of a great and glorious life and a gallant death. Mr Alexander, he added, had two other sons at the front. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See ‘Valour Rewarded’ p.20

Sisters ALLEYNE & McGANN of the NZANS, who have been on the staff of an Imperial hospital ship, are now engaged at the 27th General Hospital, Abbessia, Cairo. [29 March 1917] P.49

ANCELL, Lieutenant Eric G, killed in action, was educated at Auckland Grammar School and took a prominent part in the Grammar School Old Boys Football Club. Previous to enlistment he was on the staff of the Native Department in Auckland. His mother lives in Wellington. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

APPLEGARTH, Mr R G of Auckland is attached to one of the French military hospitals as assistant in x-ray work and expects to remain there for the duration of the war. He was recently in England on 16 days Christmas leave. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

AUCKRAM, Signaller T W B — Cable advice has been received that Sig. Auckram, who enlisted from Otahuhu, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 13 February suffering from the effects of gas fumes but that his condition is not serious. [AWN 01.03.1917] P.51

BAILEY, Sergeant H J, was killed in action in France on 28 February, left NZ in April of last year. He volunteered and was trained in the Waikato Mounted Regiment. He was the fourth and youngest son of Mr J Bailey of Dominion Road and grandson of the late Mr John Bollard, MP, was educated at the Taupiri school and the Auckland Grammar School and afterwards went into farming pursuits. Sgt Bailey, who was 23 yrs of age, was a good horseman and a keen footballer, playing with the Lower Waikato representatives. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

A military funeral was accorded the late R H BEAMISH, formerly of the British Section, NZEF, at Purewa Cemetery on Tuesday. [29 March 1917] P.49

BEDGGOOD, Lance Corporal W W C — The Military Medal gained by the late soldier for conspicuous bravery on the field, was handed to his father, Mr E A Bedggood of Kaihu. Sir James Allen said L/Cpl Bedggood had left his mortal remains on the battlefield and he trusted that the medal would be some consolation for the life he had given for his King and country. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See ‘Valour Rewarded’ [AWN 08.03.1917, p.20]

BELL, Corporal R, son of Mr Robert Bell, proprietor of the Ashburton Mail and Guardian, has been dangerously wounded in the neck in Frances. Mr Bell’s youngest son, Lieutenant Harold BELL, is at present an inmate of the Codford Hospital in England. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.20

BLUCHER, Sergeant A N, who was wounded severely in the face and hands on 21 February is one of six brothers on active service — the sons of Mr E Blucher, Beresford St, Auckland. Sgt Blucher enlisted with the Auckland Mounted Infantry and left NZ in December 1914. After arriving in Egypt he transferred to the Machine-gun Section and fought through the Gallipoli campaign until September 1915 when he was invalided to England. On recovery he left for Egypt and in May last received his sergeant stripes. One of his brother was wounded in the advance on the Somme and is now in England making good progress. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.19

BOWELL, Private Frederick T A, who died at sea when returning to NZ by hospital ship, was the eldest son of A H Bowell of Brighton Rd, Parnell. He was educated at Remuera public school, by private tuition, and Auckland University College, then apprenticed to the business of a chemist. He left NZ with a reinforcement draft in October 1915 in the capacity of dispenser with the rank of private, serving in Egypt and France, part of the time on the HQ staff and the rest with No.1 Field Ambulance. He was admitted to hospital in England with typhoid fever and was being sent home as an invalid when his death occurred. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.49

BOYNE, Sergeant H W, son of W Boyne at Hamilton St, Grey Lynn, was reported as missing last November and believed to be killed. A private cable now shows that his death is now unfortunately a certainty. Mr Boyne has three sons, all of whom have taken part in the present war. The eldest is employed in making aeroplanes for the British Government in Loughborough and another brother is fighting with the NZ Field Artillery. Sgt Boyne, who was a signwriter by occupation, left NZ with the original Samoan expedition in August 1914. On return to NZ he enlisted again and sailed for Egypt with the reinforcement which sailed in August 1915, receiving his three stripes and his marksman badge before the force left Trentham. Later on he was recommended for a commission. He was a keen Association footballer, playing for the Everton Club. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.19

BRAIN, First Class Air Mechanic W L, son of T H Brain of Selwyn St, Onehunga, has been killed at Bailleul, France. Mr Brain has received messages from the King and Queen and from the Army Council expressing sympathy and regret at his sad loss. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.20

BREMNER, Rifleman Leslie Reid, previously posted missing, now reported killed in action on the Somme on 15 September, was the eldest son of Mr R J Bremner, Kings View Rd, Mt Eden. He was educated at the Caversham and Otago Boys High Schools, Dunedin, later at the High School, Palmerston North and finished his education at the Auckland Boys Grammar School. He matriculated while attending the latter school and was attending University classes at the time of his enlistment in the Rifle Brigade. His father is well known in commercial circles, through his long connection with Wright, Stephenson & Co Ltd in Dunedin and Palmerston North and until recently as manager of their local office. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

BRIGHT, Regt Quartermaster Sergeant, married, was run over by a motor car at Featherston on Friday night and killed. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.56

BRINDEY, Norman, s/o J W Brindey of Belle Vue Rd, Mt Eden, has been gazetted a Lieutenant, Royal Engineers. He left as a sapper in the NZ Divisional Signalling Co. with the main body. He was in Egypt, Gallipoli and the Somme and was recommended for a commission after the Somme battle. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.49

BROOKES — A letter received by Mrs A E Brookes, Mt Albert, from Lt/Col F B Sykes, DRA, O/C Second Brigade, NZ Field Artillery, gives advice of the circumstances in which her son, Lieutenant E M BROOKES, met his death at the front. A shell burst in the bore or at the muzzle of the gun and set alight the cartridges in the main body. "….The detachment vacated the pit but found that two men had been knocked out and were still in the pit. Your son and four men at once went up to extricate these men and to put out the fire. One man was caught out when the shells in the pit and in other pits near detonated. I very much regret to say that your son, Captain DANIELL and three men were killed instantly. I feel the loss of your son and Captain Daniell very much personally as both were in the second battery with me on leaving NZ. Your son was with me at Plugge’s Plateau for 13 weeks in much discomfort and a good deal of danger. He was always cheery and never a day sick or away from duty during the whole time. As an officer he was showing great keenness and capability and was doing very well. It may be some small consolation to you to know that he died gallantly, taking great risk without the slightest hesitation." [AWN 08.03.1917] P.18

BROWN, Major Felix Ballard, killed in action, was the only son of Mr E C Brown, formerly Manager for many years of the Christchurch Branch of D.I.C. He was born and educated in Christchurch and was formerly on the Christchurch staff of the NZ Insurance Co. He was an enthusiastic territorial and held a commission in the 1st Canterbury Regt. He left NZ as an officer with the main body and saw service in Egypt and Gallipoli, being invalided from there just before the evacuation. While on the peninsular he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He returned to Christchurch, was promoted to the rank of Major, and left again for the front in charge of a replacement draft about nine months ago. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

BUTLER, Private Edward Arthur O, reported missing, is the only son of Mr & Mrs Percy Butler, Omahu Rd, Remuera. Aged 29, he was educated at Prince Albert College and prior to enlisting in one of the reinforcements, he was on the staff of the NZ Insurance Co. He was attached to the Signalling Division, Auckland Battalion. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

CALDWELL, Lieut Keith, Royal Flying Corps, has been promoted to the rank of Flight Commander. He is the son of D R Caldwell, Cambridge. [AWN 22.03.1917] p.52

CARTER, Corporal Alfred Chilton — The Tsar of Russia has conferred the silver medal of St George, third-class, upon Cpl Carter of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, who left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force in October 1914. He is a son of Mr F R Carter of Honikiwi near Otorohanga and grandson of the late Captain John C L Carter of Hawkes Bay who served in India as a Captain of the 53rd Regt of Foot and in 1863 was Superintendent of Hawkes Bay Province. Cpl Carter passed through the Gallipoli campaign without a scratch and has had the same good luck in the operations in which he has since taken part. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.17

CHAPMAN, Private Rowley Harry, killed in action, aged 22 years, was born at Ihumata, Mangere and educated at Remuera and Devonport public schools. From the day war was declared he was garrisoned at Fort Cautley until he left NZ in October 1915. While in France he transferred to the Trench Mortar Artillery. His father is also on active service, having left with the reinforcements which sailed last June. [[AWN 22.03.1917] p.48

CODLIN, Gunner P, who has been killed in action, was the only son of Mr N H Codlin of Kuaka, Waipu and 23 years of age. He enlisted in the Auckland Mounted Rifles and left NZ in November 1915. On the arrival of the NZ troops in France he volunteered for service in a French mortar battery with which he was serving at the time of his death. Prior to his enlistment he was employed as a fireman by the Railway Department. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

CRANE — A fine record of a fighting family is that of Mrs A M Crane, 5 Beresford Street, who has four sons on active service. The youngest, Corporal Frank S G CRANE, is reported admitted to Brockenhurst Hospital, seriously ill from gunshot wounds in the thigh and arms. Cpl Crane who is now only 19 years of age, was lately drafted to the 3rd, Auckland, Regt. He has had ten months in the trenches. Private F W and Bert C CRANE, in the same company as Frank, are still in France. The other brother, Private Fred CRANE, is in England ready for the firing-line. [AWN 15.03.1917, p.56]

CROMPTON, Corporal Thomas S, killed in action, was the son of Mrs L I C Crompton of Queens Ave, Dominion Road, and was born at Omata, Taranaki, 26 years ago. His father, the late Mr H J Crompton, was a volunteer in the early Taranaki wars and his grandfather, the late Mr W M Crompton, was the first editor of the Taranaki Herald and also one of the first members of the General Assembly on the Constitution Act being brought into operation in 1853. Cpl Crompton was foreman to Messrs Duncan & Davies, nurserymen, of New Plymouth. He was a volunteer before the days of the territorial system and afterwards a sergeant of territorials. One of the first to enlist in New Plymouth, he was in the landing at Gallipoli and he was slightly wounded on the peninsula in the following July. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

CRUICKSHANK, Captain Graham, 54th Kootenay Regt, Canadian Imperial Forces, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is a native of Auckland, the eldest son of William Cruickshank. He was a resident in Canada for some years before going to the front and has been in France for about a year. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.19

CULLEN, Private Thomas P, reported died of wounds, was the third son of Mr & Mrs John Cullen, The Camp, Tauranga, and was 30 years of age. He was born in Tauranga and after leaving school joined Mr Badger’s — now E H White’s — business where he worked for many years. He took a keen interest in Rugby football and was one of the best known local players. Farrier Sergeant E J CULLEN, deceased’s brother, who was seriously wounded while serving at Gallipoli, is now in hospital in Auckland. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

DICKSON, Flight Sub-Lieut E, RNAS, late of Thames, is stationed in Lincolnshire. A few weeks ago he had a remarkable escape. When descending in a Caritas bi-plane he was caught in a fog and couldn’t see the ground with the result that the machine crashed down but the airman escaped without personal injury. He went to Edinburgh for Christmas leave. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

DOIDGE, Corporal Edwin Bailey, reported missing and believed to have been killed, was the youngest son of Mr Edwin Doidge, one time of Auckland but for some years past a resident of Kootamandra, NSW. Cpl Doidge was wounded in France about the middle of last year, being struck on the back by shrapnel while trench digging. He was invalided to England and only returned to the firing line on the western front just after last Christmas. He came to Auckland about five years ago and was at first in the employ of a commercial firm for some time. Subsequently he joined the reporting staff of the NZ Herald and later the illustrations department of the Auckland Weekly News, enlisting in one of the reinforcement drafts whilst holding the latter post. Though his parents reside in Kootamandra, several of Cpl Doidge’s relatives are resident in Auckland. His older brothers, Sergeant Major F W Doidge, formerly Chief Reporter of the Auckland Star, and Private Herbert Doidge, a former employee of the Auckland branch of the Bank of NZ, are both at the front. His sister-in-law, Mrs F W Doidge, is at present residing with her father, Captain CLARK, at Onehunga. Cpl Doidge was warmly esteemed by a large circle of friends and was a young man of high character and modest demeanour. He was 24 years of age and unmarried. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

DUIGAN, Major J E has relinquished command of the Tunnelling Co. and is appointed GSO third class, NZ Division, in succession to Major W H HASTINGS, DSO of the 92nd Punjabis who becomes Brigade Major to the Third Brigade. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

EASTGATE, Corporal H S, son of Mrs Eastgate of Auckland, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field. He was wounded in the neck by shell fire on 1 September last and on returning to the Somme he was, on 28 November, struck by a bomb while in charge of a raiding party, sustaining a compound fracture of the right arm and wounds to the head and side. He is progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.19

ELLISDON - Four sons of Mr F J H Ellisdon, Kingsland, have given their services at the front. Sergeant Thomas E Ellisdon, who was reported wound the other day, left NZ with an early reinforcement draft. He gained his promotion from the ranks on service, being made a corporal soon after arrival in Egypt, then fighting through the arduous days of Anzac and finally received his sergeant’s stripes in January of this year. His brother, the late Captain ELLISDON, left with the same reinforcement in the Auckland Mounted Infantry. His name was mentioned by Sir Douglas Haig in connection with the Somme operations. The third brother, Private Lionel ELLISDON, has been invalided home, suffering from rheumatism and arrived in Auckland this week; while the fourth, Private Roy ELLISDON, took his place in the trenches some weeks ago. [AWN 08.03.1917] p.21

ERCEG, Rifleman P I, Rifle Brigade, has been discharged from the NZEF to join the Servian Army. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

Miss B ERNEST, of Auckland, who has been engaged in hospital work in France, has been mentioned in despatches. On a visit to England when war broke out, she enlisted as a nurse and in July 1915 was sent to France where she has been ever since. She is the daughter of Mr & Mrs Ernest, Campbell St, One Tree Hill. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.49

FLEMING, Gunner R I — The only one of the four soldiers who lived to personally receive the reward, the Military Medal, for his bravery on the field was Gunner Fleming of Devonport. He was cordially congratulated by the Acting Prime Minister. Gunner Fleming has received a permanent injury to his right hand. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See ‘Valour Rewarded’ p.20

FORD, Private Maurice, the first Pukekohe soldier to win the Military Medal. In a letter from him he says "One night a mate and I were on the ‘Listening Post’. At 9.30 almost forty of the Germans came over. The night was very dark and they came very close before we saw them. My mate went to give the report to the machine-guns. One of the Germans came close to me and I shot him. I was in a little dug-out and they couldn’t see me. Then I got out of the hole and threw my bombs and I held them back until our machine-guns got at them. I got about three of them, one shot and two bombed. The ‘Listening Post’ is out in no-man’s-land." [AWN 01.03.1917] P.17

FROST - There was a large gathering at Te Kuiti for the presentation of the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Croix de Guerre to the next of kin of the late Sergeant Major FROST who died of wounds received in France. NOK: Thomas FROST, father of the deceased. [AWN 08.03.1917] p.17

FRY, Mr Mervyn, late of Grafton Road, who left Auckland some months ago to join the English patrol service, lost his life a few weeks ago through the blowing up of a minesweeper of which he was in charge. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.20

GRATTAN, John, son of Mr & Mrs T A Grattan, enlisted in August 1914 and has seen continuous Service with the Army Service Corps. He has received promotion on the field. The eldest son, Henry, left NZ with the Rifle Brigade and went through the battles of Flers and Poziers. The third and last Eligible son, Thomas, is now in training at Featherston. Mr Grattan Senior, the father of the boys, who is a descendant of an Irish fighting and political family, fought in the Maori War as a sergeant in the 1st Waikatos. [AWN 15.03.1917, p.56]

GREEN, Private Arnold, who was killed in action on 21 February, was the son of Mrs Ellen Green, Brixton Rd, Mt Eden. He was a native of Sheffield and had lived in Auckland for three years. At the time of his enlistment he was in the employ of Hellaby’s Ltd in Shortland Street. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

HAMILTON, Lt Col N C, DSO, has relinquished the appointment of DAQMG to the NZ Division and has been succeeded by Major H E Avery, DSO, NZ Service Corps. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

HANNA, Lieut S J of Auckland, who has spent the last 13 months with the British Armoured Cars in Russia, was in London this week. The first winter was spent in the ice bound region of the far north, largely on constructional work. When the thaw came, the cars went through to the Caucasus, a journey of 14 days, and took a valuable part in the expulsion of the Turks from the highlands of Erzerum and Trebizond. Then they came round the Caspian and Black Seas to Roumania and fought their valiant rear guard action throughout the retreat. Lt Hanna, who has been adjutant to the unit, has enjoyed the best of health throughout but had to return to England for a minor operation which has now been found unnecessary. Sub Lieutenant Clive HALL, another Aucklander, recently transferred from the NZEF, has also gone to Russia to join the Armoured Cars. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

HENEY, Private W, severely wounded in France on 21 February during the raid of the Auckland Battalion, was formerly on the staff of the Bank of Australasia, Auckland. He was for some years a member of the Eden District Cricket Club. He left NZ with reinforcements in July of last year and had served in France for about four months when he was wounded. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

ILBERT, (SIC) Private Geoffrey Arthur, killed in action in France on 28 February, was an Auckland Grammar School boy and the youngest son of the late Mr Owen Ilbert, classical master of the school. He left NZ in January 1915 and was attached to the Wellington Infantry Battalion. After a few months’ service in Egypt he was transferred to the Army Service Corps. Afterwards he was transferred to the NZ Veterinary Corps and remained with that unit till it was disbanded. At the time of his death he was acting as battalion stretcher-bearer in the Auckland Infantry. He was 33 years of age. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

JAMESON, Private R, formerly of York St, Newton, was admitted to the 13th stationary hospital, Boulogne, on 23rd February, suffering from conjunctivitis and that later he was transferred to the base depot, France. [AWN 29.03.1917, p.20]

JOHNSON, Private Arthur, son of Mr J Johnson, Great North Road, Archhill, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action. He received his primary education under Mr A S Webber of Newton West School and joined his uncles’ firm Beaney & Sons. He enlisted immediately on the outbreak of war, going with the main body to Egypt as a Driver in the Army Service Corps but just before leaving Egypt for France he transferred into the infantry. He was wounded by a bomb in the British offensive in September last. He was a member of the Auckland Rowing Club and was keenly interested in all athletic sports. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.51

JONES, Gunner J A, NZFA, son of Mr T A Jones, Crummer Road, has been awarded the Military Medal. He was previously employed in a surveyor’s office in the City. Private Roger JONES, was killed in action on the Somme on 22 September, when bringing in wounded from the first line trenches. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.23

KEANEY, Rifleman Patrick Hugh, who died of wounds received in action on 7 March, was born at Ararimu South and was educated at the Ararimu school. He followed farming occupations for several years and then took up his residence in the Gisborne district, where he was a contractor. His brother, Garrett, was at latest advices, in the Canadian Hospital at Boulogne. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

LEYDON, Private Bert E, son of Mr E Leydon, Sussex St, Grey Lynn, was admitted to the Walton on Thames Hospital on 25 February, suffering from gunshot wounds in the right arm and amputation had been necessary. Prior to his leaving on active service he was employed at the Newmarket railway workshops. He was an enthusiastic footballer and a member of the City Club. In a letter from Bishop Cleary published last week, mention was made of the fact that a fragment of shrapnel fell between him and a young Aucklander. Pte Leydon is the Auckland man referred to. [AWN 15.03.1917] P.20

LORD, Private Edmond John, aged 21, who has died of acute bronchitis, is the youngest son of Mr Samuel Lord of Howick and was with the Field Artillery. About 18 months ago while fighting at Gallipoli he received a severe wound in the face and was invalided to England. After recovering he went to France where he served without interruption until his death. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.49

MacDIARMID, Captain John C, NZMC, died on Sunday last after undertaking an operation for appendicitis. He was formerly in medical practice at Huntly was the son of Dr R C MacDiarmid, also of Huntly, and for some time past was one of the doctors at Featherston Camp. The funeral took place on Monday at the Karori Cemetery with full military honours. Captain MacDiarmid was married in June last to Miss Maud WOODFORD, Opotiki. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.19

MACE, Private Walter H C, reported missing on 21 February, is the eldest son of the late Henry C Mace and was born in Auckland 21 years ago. He was left an orphan when six years old and was brought up by his uncle, Mr C E Mace of Mangaiti. Before enlisting he was on the railway staff, stationed at Frankton Junction. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

MADILL, Corporal Roderick Adam, who is reported to be missing, is the fifth son of Mr W H Madill of Pukekohe and at the time he enlisted as a private he was minister of the Presbyterian Church at Whakatane. He was educated at the Pukekohe school and took the theological course at the Otago University, joining the ministry about five years ago. He is a single man aged 28 years. Corporal Madill’s brothers are Robert M Madill of Hamilton; John W Madill, now in camp at Trentham; Rev J D C Madill of the Stratford Presbyterian Church; and Mr W H Madill of Auckland. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

McDONALD - Mr John McDonald of Jersey Park, Waipipi, Waiuku, can justly be proud of the record his sons are putting up in defence of the Empire. His eldest son Ernest, aged 35, a married man with a wife and four children, left with one of the earliest reinforcements as captain of the 16th Waikatos and was wounded at the landing on Gallipoli in the shoulder and lung. He was invalided home and making a rapid recovery, was able to leave NZ again as a Major. At present he is in charge of troops at Sling Camp. Elwyn, aged 32, left some time later and the latest news shows him to be in the firing line ‘somewhere in France’. Ronald, aged 29 years, left with one of the reinforcement drafts for the Rifle Brigade, was wounded in France, was sent to hospital, recovered and returned to the front in time to take part in the Somme advance. In December last Ronald was again wounded in the ear and face. The latest news states that he is ‘making good progress’. Another son, Harold, was not 20 when he left NZ. He took part in several sharp engagements in Egypt and came through safely. Then he met his brother Ernest who arranged for a transfer and he was taken on to the English camp. Mr McDonald’s father, the late Mr Peter McDonald, saw active service in the Maori war where, while serving under Colonel Nixon in the Waikato Mounted Constabulary, he was severely wounded. A nephew of Mr John McDonald also went through the Gallipoli campaign and is now serving in Egypt. [AWN 08.03.1917] p.21

McKENZIE, Major A G of Clevedon, promoted to the rank of Colonel and awarded DSO for conspicuous gallantry in the Somme engagement, besides being twice personally complimented and thanked by his Commander in June. He was born and educated in the Ness Valley. He joined the Franklin Mounted Rifles long before the territorial scheme came into operation. He left NZ in command of one of the reinforcement drafts. On one occasion he was hurled into the air by the explosion of a shell which killed two men who were standing beside him. He had recently spent a short furlough visiting relations in Scotland. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.23

McMAHON, Major F R, Royal Engineers, brother of Mrs Tristram SPEEDY of Parnell, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. He was formerly a student at the Otago School of Mines and when he graduated he received an important appointment in British West Africa. At the outbreak of war he went to England and joined King Edward’s Horse. He later received a commission in the Shropshire Light Infantry and subsequently secured his majority in the Royal Engineers. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.18

The death from wounds received in France of Major A G McNEILL, M.C., of the Royal Engineers, is reported. He was 33 years of age. He obtained his captaincy in the Royal Engineers just before the war. He was then employed with the Egyptian Army and when the NZ main body reached Egypt he was attached, with Major PRIDHAM, in the organisation of the NZ Engineers with whom he served throughout. He was given the temporary rank of Major last year and awarded the Military Cross in the Birthday Honours. [AWN 22.03.1917] p.48

MEWETT, Captain J E H, who has been wounded in France, was a machinist in the office of the Waihi Bell before enlisting. He left NZ with reinforcements in April 1915 as a Second Lieutenant and served in Egypt and through the Gallipoli campaign. There he was promoted to Lieutenant and afterwards in France he won is captaincy. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.48

MUNRO, Private John Frederick, who has received severe gunshot wounds in the right arm and leg, is the son of Mr John A Munro of Clevedon and their third son on active service. He left NZ last July and arrived in France in October, serving there until wounded on 12 February. His eldest brother, Robert, left with the main body as a farrier and went to Gallipoli. He was killed in action, being the first boy from Clevedon to give his life for his country. A third brother, Frank of the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, is still serving on the Egyptian frontier. Three cousins, of whom one has been wounded, are also on active service. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.18

MURRAY - A striking instance of a patriotic family is afforded in the case of the three sons of Mrs M Murray of Wynyard Road, Mt Eden, all of whom are serving in France. The eldest, Private J MURRAY, left NZ in November 1915 and has been twice wounded, the second time by the accidental bursting of a bomb while acting as instructor in bomb-throwing in France. He was sent to hospital in England but returned to France in January last. The second son, Private B MURRAY, went into camp in December 1915, leaving NZ in the April following. He was wounded in France during the great advance in September last. He is married and has two young children. Mrs Murray’s youngest son, Signaller G MURRAY, enlisted in 1914 and, being refused for foreign service as under age, served for several months as a gunner in the Garrison Artillery, afterwards joining the signallers while at Trentham camp. At Slip camp, Salisbury, he was selected as one of a special party of signallers for service in France during May last. He is an old Grammar School boy. The sacrifice made by Mrs Murray will be better realised when it is stated that she is a widow, as is her daughter, the latter’s husband having been killed in the trenches in France early in July last, leaving two small children. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.18

MYERS, Corporal Richard, aged 33, son of T Myers, Youngs Point, Otamatea, has been awarded the Military Medal for his conduct in the heavy fighting on the Somme and at the same time was granted his Corporal’s stripe. He was in partnership with his brother as a shepherd-farmer on the Bickerstaffe Estate. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.56

OLSEN, Rifleman Holger Randolph, who has died of wounds, was a son of Mr J F W Olsen of Hukatere near Matakohe, and was in his 27th year. At one time he was employed in the railway service and afterwards he acted as a stock driver for the North Auckland Farmers’ Union but at the time of enlistment he was assisting on his father’s farm. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

PARUIHI, Tau, Rangitikei, was personally decorated with the Distinguished Conduct Medal at Marton by Colonel Sir James Allen, Minister for Defence. He received the award for conspicuous bravery at Anzac on 6 August 1915 during an attack on No.3 Post. Tau was cut off from his comrades and encircled by five Turks whom he fought single handed, killing four and capturing the fifth. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.17

PASCOE, Gunner H D, son of Mrs Coutts, Manurewa, on 2 December 1916, was in the NZ Hospital, Walton on Thames, suffering from enteric and dysentery and his condition is improving satisfactorily. He was wounded in four places at the Dardanelles but continued to fight. Later he was carried off the field suffering from enteric. Fragments of shell were taken from his wounds in Malta and he was sent to England where he has been ever since. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.18

PHILIPS, Private Malcolm, of the Wellington Infantry, previously reported missing and now reported killed in action on 28 September, was the eldest son of Mr Henry Philips of Kohukohu. He enlisted when he became 20 years of age, in a reinforcement and was killed shortly after reaching the firing line. From letters received from the front it appears he was on a journey of special danger when he met his death. He was a keen hockey player and served in the territorials. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

Captain PUTNAM, NZMC, of Palmerston North, who has been engaged during the past year with the NZ No.1 General Hospital in Egypt and England, has returned to the Dominion. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.55

PRICE, Private Tom, who was reported last week as having died of wounds, was one of three brothers in the firing line, sons of Mrs M Price of Cambridge, who also has a son in law amongst NZ’s soldiers. Private Price left NZ a few months after the commencement of the war. He was wounded in June last and on recovery returned to the operations on the French front. Again he was wound on 4 February and this injury proved fatal. While resident in Cambridge, he took an active role in YMCA work. For 4 ˝ years prior to his enlistment he was in the territorials. [AWN 08.03.1917] p.21

REES - Information has been received by Mr W J Rees of Shelly Beach Road, to the effect that his son Corporal E O L REES, of the Auckland Infantry, who was some time ago reported as in hospital in France suffering from pneumonia, has been discharged from that institution and is now at the base depot. Corporal Rees left NZ with the Main Body and was at the landing at Gallipoli, where he was severely wounded in the fighting on the ‘Daisy patch’. Cpl Rees has two brothers on active service. Private S J L REES, who was in England when the war broke out, is in the King’s Liverpool Regiment and has been in the firing-line on and off, since September 1915. The other brother, W P M REES, left with the Main Body. He served on Gallipoli with the Army Medical Corps, under Lieut Col D N W Murray, DSO, and was promoted on the field to the rank of sergeant. Sgt Rees returned to NZ on a hospital ship on 1 January 1916, and was discharged. About two months ago he re-enlisted and is now in camp with the Army Medical Corps. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.18

REINHARDT, Private Clarence J, killed in action, was the only son of Mr Reinhardt of Kawakawa. He left NZ with the main body as a member of the Auckland Infantry. He was wounded slightly in the leg in fighting against the Turks on the Suez Canal but recovered in time to take part in the landing at Gallipoli. On the peninsula he acted as sniper but becoming run down, he was sent to hospital in Malta. On recovering he was sent to France. He was born in Kawakawa, his father being also a New Zealander. Mr Reinhardt is at present very ill in the Auckland Hospital as the result of a severe bush accident. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

RICHARDSON, Sergeant R W, son of Mr H G Richardson, of Uruti, Taranaki, who was wounded in France on 4 February, is one of three brothers serving in the same regiment. He was previously wounded in August 1915. On that occasion he was sent to England and after his recovery rejoined his regiment in France, where he gained his sergeant’s stripes. [AWN 08.03.1917] P.21

RIMMER, Gunner W C — A Military Medal was also awarded to the late soldier for bravery on the field. It was handed to his father, Mr Seth Rimmer of Mt Eden. Sir James Allen referred to the splendid work done by the New Zealand artillery on Gallipoli and on the Somme and said that when the story came to be written, the work of the NZ artillery would make a story worth reading. [AWN 08.03.1917] *See ‘Valour Rewarded’ [AWN 08.03.1917, p.20]

ROUSE, Private Henry Lee, who died of spinal disease at Auckland Hospital recently, was the youngest son of Mrs S A Rouse of Hukerenui and one of three brothers who have enlisted in their country’s service. Another of the three has lost his left arm through a wound and is now in England, while the third is in camp at Trentham. Private H L Rouse, who was 22, was born at Hukerenui and educated at the public school there and the Whangarei High School. He was for two years in the Territorials and at the time of his enlistment for foreign service was employed in the timber trade. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.19

SEDDON, Lieutenant T E Y, who injured his knee in France some time ago and has been on leave in England, has been seconded from his regiment (Canterbury) for duty as company commander at the command depot at Codford. [AWN 08.03.1917, p.23]

SIMMS, Private S, of Auckland, was admitted to the NZ General Hospital, Brockenhurst, on 22 February. [AWN 08.03.1917, p.20]

STEVENS - Mrs Stevens of York St, Parnell, has four sons who have given their services to the fighting ranks. Trooper R B STEVENS left NZ with the Main Body, fought in the trenches in Gallipoli and from there was invalided home in September 1915. Driver W H STEVENS left with a reinforcement draft in March of last year and is at present ill in a NZ General Hospital. Private George G STEVENS is serving with the Australian Imperial Forces in France and a another brother, Harold, has enlisted and is proceeding to camp shortly. [AWN 01.03.1917] P.52

TODD, Mr T J, formerly of Auckland, fighting with the Australian Forces, has been promoted to rank of Brigadier General. He was well known in business in Auckland and prominent in sport, particularly football. In the Boer War he served with the 2nd NZ Contingent and gained the DSO for conduct I n the field. He was also in the NZ Contingent sent to England at the coronation of the late King Edward. Afterwards he left for Western Australia and settled in Perth. In the present war he left Australia as a Major in the Light Horse and in the course of time was promoted to the rank of Colonel, serving in the Dardanelles campaign and afterwards in Egypt. [AWN 22.03.1917] P.19

TREVARTHEN, Private Alfred George, reported killed in action, was the sixth son of Mr & Mrs W H Trevarthen of Bayfield Rd, Ponsonby, 28 yrs of age and unmarried. He was born in Auckland, educated at Bayfield School and was well known in yachting circles. At the time of his enlistment he was in the employ of the Auckland Harbour Board. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

WILLEY, Private E A, son of W Willey, 25 France St, was wounded on 21 February. He was born in Napier, educated at Newton East School and attached to the Machine-Gun Section under Lt Col A PLUGGE. Prior to enlisting, Private Willey was in the employ of Messrs A & T Burt Ltd. His brother is now in camp. A cousin lost his life on board the Defiance in the Jutland battle and another was killed in France on the same date. Yet another cousin is on board the Australia and others are attached to the Army Medical Corps and the Army Service Corps in France. [AWN 15.03.1917] p.19

YOUNG, Lance Corporal William James, killed in action on 21 February, was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs R Young of Wardville and formerly of Otorohanga. He was born in Cardrona, Otago and educated at Otorohanga. He was 22 years of age at the time of his death. [AWN 29.03.1917] P.48

Return To HOME