Search billions of records on

JUNE 1917

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

JUNE 1917

AHIER, Private W R, aged 23, killed in action on 6 May, was the youngest son of Mr G M Ahier of Te Awamutu. He had been for some months prior to his death in the firing line. He was educated at Hamilton High School, Auckland Grammar School and Auckland Technical College. He was a school teacher and at the time of enlistment had the charge of Ranginui and Tokanui schools. An older brother, Norman, left with the Main Body and after seeing two years service, was invalided home and discharged. [AWN 14.06.1917] P.48

ALLEN, Lieut Col Robert Candlish, reported wounded, is well known in the Piako district, where he was engaged in farming at Annandale before he left NZ. He went into camp in September 1915 with the rank of Major. He took a keen interest in the territorial movement and he was a major in the 6th, Hauraki, Regiment. He was promoted to the rank of lieutenant-colonel in the field and was appointed to the command of a battalion in February last. He was well known as a successful and enterprising farmer and a prominent member of the Farmers Union. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.47

ARCHIBALD, Sgt W D, son of William Archibald, Rangiora, Hikurangi, serving with Australian Forces, has been awarded the DCM. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.47

ATKINSON, Captain Samuel Arnold, fourth son of the late Sir Harry Atkinson, a former Prime Minister of NZ, has been killed in action. He succumbed to wounds received while bravely rushing to the rescue of a brother officer a few days ago. He was born in Nelson 42 years ago and was educated at Nelson College, Wanganui Collegiate School and Canterbury College, where he graduated. He studied for the law under Messrs Bell, Gully, Bell & Myers and in 1902 having passed his legal examinations with great credit, he joined Mr T F Martin, Barrister, as a partner. He remained a member of the firm until January 1915 when he accepted the appointment of law reporter for Wellington which position he was still occupying when he enlisted. He left Wellington for the front as a Lieutenant in the Rifle Brigade. For many years he had taken a keen interest in defence matters and was a zealous advocate of compulsory training. He acted as Secretary of the Wellington Citizens Defence League, Secretary of The War League and Secretary of the State Schools Defence League. Among his other activities he was Secretary and agent in NZ for the Round Table. Capt Atkinson leaves a widow and six children. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

BAILEY, Lieutenant Allan Richard, son of Mr J W Bailey, Dominion Road, Auckland, has been killed in action in France. He left Auckland for England early in July 1914. War had been declared prior to his arrival and he immediately joined a unit of the Field Artillery. After serving nearly 12 months in Egypt, he received his commission and was in active service in France up to the time of his death. His youngest brother Sergeant H I BAILEY was killed in France about four months ago. A third brother, Lieut A S BAILEY, was badly gassed and invalided home about two months ago. The eldest brother, W J BAILEY, is an engineer on an overseas steamer. Lieut A R Bailey finished his education at the Auckland Grammar School and took a keen interest in sports and volunteering. [AWN 28.06.1917] p.24

BIRNIE, Sgt Major, DCM, No.1 Battery, NZ Field Artillery, son of John BIRNIE, O’Rorke St, Remuera. Prior to enlistment he was a membr of the A Battery, NZFA, Auckland, and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallantry upon Gallipoli. He was afterwards killed in action in France. Mr Birnie Snr is the father of seven sons, of whom one has been killed, five are on service with the Expeditionary Force and the remaining one is under the military age. In presenting the medal the Minister of Defence said "It is a matter of regret for all of us that Sgt Major Birnie is not here to receive the decoration which he so worthily won. He has given all that he had to give for his King and country and we must honour the man for the sacrifice he has made. His father is himself a soldier, wearing the medals which he has earned and will surely be proud to receive this one and to hand it down as a very treasured possession. To you men who as you reach military age will doubtless find your way into the Expeditionary Froce. I would say that there are many records like that made by Sgt Major Birnie and doubtless those records will be kept up to the end. You in your turn will help to carry on those records Major (sic) Birnie, it was a plucky action to come here tonight but you have come with a soldier’s spirit. I hand to you the medal which you son has so worthily won." The whole parade was then brought to attention while a trumpeter of the A Battery, Sgt Major Birnie’s old territorial unit, sounded the "Last Post" [AWN 21.06.1917] p.16

BRIGHT, Corporal Norman — In reference to his death in action, his father, Mr S Bright of Panmure has received a letter from his Company Officer, Captain G G Coghill, stating that he lost his life when taking part in a raid on the night of 13 March. He speak of Cpl Bright as having been one of his most trusty leaders who had accompanied him on many occasions across to the enemy’s lines under cover of darkness and was cool and courageous under the most trying ordeals. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

BROWN, Sergeant Donald Forrester, of Oamaru, son of Robert Brown of the Polytechnic, Oamaru, who has been killed in action, was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross as a Private. The London Gazette states that he, with a comrade, reached within 30 yards of the enemy lines. He killed four of the gun crew and captured the gun. His Company was again held up and he and a comrade, with great gallantry, rushed the gun and killed the crew. The Company was then heavily shelled. His contempt of danger and coolness kept up the men’s spirits. Subsequently, as a Sergeant, he made a single-handed attack upon a machine-gun, killed the crew and captured the gun. Later, while sniping a retreating enemy, the gallant soldier was killed. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.45

BROWN, Sergeant Donald Forrester, who has been awarded the Victoria Cross, was the third son of Mr Robert Brown of the Polytechnic, Oamaru. He was 26 years of age and belonged to the North Otago Co of a reinforcement draft which left NZ in January 1916. Sgt Brown fell in the Somme offensive, during the fierce fighting outside Eaucourt L’Abbaye on 1 October. At the time of his enlistment, Sgt Brown was engaged in farming. He sold his farm and joined the colours. Describing the valorous deeds which have earned his posthumous distinction, Capt Freeman, officer commanding his company, wrote — "Owing to shortage of officers during operations at Armentieres, Brown virtually had command of a platoon. He was steady and reliable under fire and in positions of danger, and by his example kept his men steady. He was always in his element in No Man’s Land and could always be relied upon to obtain any information. He was instrumental in affecting the capture of a machine-gun."After Sgt Brown’s death, Lieut Col G S Smith wrote as follows to Mr Brown senior — "He did some great work on 15 September and again on 1 October. During our most successful attacks on the German trenches he took a German machine-gun after killing five men. If he had lived I had hoped to recommend him at least for the DCM, he might have got the VC. He was an excellent non-commissioned officer and was much liked by the men. I cannot speak too highly of him. He is a great loss to the battalion. His name will never be forgotten and is now added to the long list of men who have made the supreme sacrifice." A letter received from Sgt Brown, written two days before his death, describes the Somme offensive and how a few hours before the letter was written he was one of a party who went into action 200 strong and of whom only 35 returned.The following is a copy of the official recommendation of recognition - "8/3604 Sergeant Donald Forrester Brown, for bravery. He rushed a machine-gun which was fully manned and killed four of the crew himself. I regret to state he was killed half an hour later." Sergeant Brown is another of the 530 representatives of the Waitaki High School, known to have enlisted, to win distinction. He was at the school in 1908. He was a splendid footballer and a good sport and was highly respected by the rector, the school and his fellow towns people. Last evening a special service in honour of the late sergeant was held at the Waitaki High School. The rector, Mr F Milner, after paying a tribute to Sergeant Brown’s heroism, mentioned that 11 Waitakians had won the Military Cross and 16 had been mentioned in despatches. At the Columba Presbyterian Church this morning, where Sgt Brown used to attend, special reference was made to the honour awarded to the fallen soldier. [AWN 14.06.1917, p.16]

BRUCE, Rifleman Allan, reported wounded and in hospital, left NZ with one of the early reinforcements. His father, Mr J M Bruce, of Te Awamutu, has received a cablegram from the Walton on Thames Hospital stated that he is doing well. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.47

BUISSON, Sergeant John F, only brother of Mr Leon Buisson, town clerk of Newmarket, had died of wounds received in action in France on 12 May. Sgt Buisson went away with the Main Body of the Australian Expeditionary Force and was wounded on Gallipoli. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.18

COATES, Lieutenant Randolph E O, whose death from wounds is reported, was the elder son of Mr Oswald Coates of Remuera. Lieut Coates was born in Adelaide in 1887 and came to NZ in 1893. He was educated at the Mt Eden Public School and Wanganui Boys High School. Upon leaving the latter, he assisted his father for a few years, finally leaving for Coromandel and North Auckland in charge of a survey party. At the outbreak of war, accompanied by his only brother, he enlisted as a private in the machine-gun section of the 3rd, Auckland, Infantry. Quickly gaining his stripes, he left with the Main Body and served throughout the Gallipoli campaign. Owing to illness, he was ordered to Egypt but in the act of embarking was wounded by shrapnel. Subsequently his name was mentioned in despatches for ‘devotion to duty’. He was offered a commission in an English regiment but refused to leave his comrades. Shortly afterwards he accepted a commission in the NZ Infantry. He passed the examinations for the Royal Flying Corps, but his transfer was refused and he was ordered to the firing line where he met his death during the recent fighting. Lieut Coates’ younger brother is at present a sergeant in a machine-gun section in Palestine. [AWN 21.06.1917] p.17

COSTELLO, Private Patrick John, who died of wounds in France on 11 May, was the eldest son of William Costello, Te Pu, Rotorua. He left with the Main Body and was wounded at the Dardanelles but recovered from his wounds and went to the front again, where he was again wounded. He was previously in the Public Works Survey Dept where he had been for 18 years. He was born in Gore and was later at Cheviot, Canterbury. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

CRADDOCK, Private Norman B, eldest son of Mr & Mrs P C Craddock of Sarsfield St, Ponsonby, is Seriously ill in the NZ General Hospital, Brockenhurst, with gunshot wounds to the abdomen. He has been at the front for the past nine months. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

CULLING, Flight Lieut Thomas Grey, RNAS, son of Mr T S Culling, Victoria Avenue, Remuera, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. Recently reported to his father as missing on 8 June 1917. He is aged 21 and went Home in August 1915, joining the Naval Flying Corps. He has been in France for about nine months. He came to Auckland from Dunedin with his parents about 11 years ago and was educated at King’s College, Auckland. At the time of enlistment he was employed by Messrs A J Entrican & Co. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

DEAN, 2nd Lieutenant W, who has been reported accidentally wounded is a son of Rev Oliver Dean of Napier and formerly of Auckland and Thames. He left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

DEE, Captain George of Ashburton, died of wounds on 8 June. He was 25 years of age and had always taken a keen interest in volunteering, being a lieutenant in the senior cadets. He left NZ with the Rifle Brigade. Before enlistment he was a clerk in the Ashburton County Council office. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

DELATOUR, Lieut Colonel H A, aged 68, died suddenly at Invercargill. He had been acting as a member of a medical board under the Military Service Board. It is supposed death was due to hear disease. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.51

DONAHOE, Private Ernest J, who died of wounds on 4 June, was the second son of Mr & Mrs P Donahoe of Birkenhead and left NZ a year ago. He was born at Birkenhead, was educated at the Northcote school and took an active part in aquatics, football and other outdoor sports. He was a typewriter mechanic by occupation. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

DONALD, Private Robert Hugh, killed in action on 5 May, was the only son of Mr William Donald, late of the Northern Steamship Co. but now of Pukekohe. He was engaged in several of the Union Co’s boats. When war was declared he was aboard a cable ship and took part in repairing the cable at Fanning Island which was cut by a German raider. Pte Donald served throughout the Gallipoli operations without receiving a scratch. He went to France with the Auckland Battalion and was engaged in the Somme fight and several other important battles. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.47

ELLIS, Sapper H L, NZ Engineers, of Brightwater, has died. He was an old boy of Nelson College and was there under Mr Fowler. After leaving college he took up farming but later went into electrical work. On arriving in England he was engaged in electrical work at Sling Camp, Salisbury Plain and Christchurch, Hampshire. In January he moved forward on special work at the front. At the time of his death he was engaged on some very urgent secret work on one of our most zealously guarded positions. The Major commanding, writing to his mother, says "..He was a splendid fellow and set a fine example of courage and although he was with us for but a few weeks, his high character and moral courage had won for him the esteem of all ranks." Howard ELLIS, a brother, who enlisted before he was 21 years of age, was also a Nelson College boy. He was badly wounded at Gallipoli and after six months at Walton returned to the peninsula where he contracted scarlet fever. Afterwards he fought in France, was again wounded and was sent back to NZ as a cot case. Later he was discharged. On hearing of his only brother’s death, he again joined his old regiment and returned, at the age of 23, with the reinforcements now in camp. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

FELL, Lieutenant Gerald, killed in action, was a barrister in Wellington. He enlisted early in 1915 and received his commission the day he departed. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

FLETT, Private David — The Defence Dept notifies the death of Pte Flett, D Company, 28th Reinforcements, which occurred at Featherston Military Hospital on Thursday. [AWN 14.06.1917] P.19

FREYBERG, Private Paul, a member of a well known fighting family and brother of Brigadier General B C Freyberg, V.C., has died of wounds. He was 33 years of age and is the second member of the family to be killed during the war, the eldest son, Oscar Freyberg, falling at Gallipoli. Paul was educated at Wellington College and afterwards studied law in the office of Messrs Findlay Dalziell & Co. He then joined the city solicitor’s staff. Though only a youth at the time, he saw service in the Boer War. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.45

GRANT, Private Harold, who died of sickness on 28 May last, was born at Mahurangi Heads and was the eldest son of Mr Angus Grant of Warkworth. He was 27 years of age. From his early youth he was fond of aquatics and was a keen yacht and launch man. At the age of 16 he joined the barque Aldebaran. Captain Matheson, in the inter-colonial trade, afterwards joining the Northern Steam ship Co. At the time of his enlistment Pte Grant was mate of the Waipu. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

KAY, Captain F Bert, has been killed in action with the Australian Forces. He was 24 years of age and was the son of Mr H Kay of St Albans, Christchurch. He was an architect by profession. Four years ago he received an appointment under the Queensland Govt and later occupied the position of assistant inspector of public works. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

KEMP, Private F W, aged 32, reported a prisoner of war in Limburg, Germany, who has had to have his left foot amputated, is the son of Richard Kemp of Paparata. He is the eldest of four brothers all of whom have enlisted and seen a great deal of service. Prior to enlisting he assisted his father on the farm. He enlisted in the First Battalion, Rifle Brigade, and took part in the fighting against the Senussi on Christmas Day 1915, after which he was in hospital for some time with dysentery and enteric. He was then sent to France and took part in the Somme offensive. Later he was attached to the 6th Haurakis. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.29

KOKIRI, Lieut Tango, who died at sea on 21 April of appendicitis was, prior to enlisting, one of the staff of the Native Land Court at Auckland. He was a member of the Arawa tribe which has always been conspicuous for its loyalty to the Crown. He had had considerable territorial experience, having been QMS of one of the companies of the 6th, Hauraki, Regiment. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.18

LAWRY, Corporal Vivian, son of the Rev A C Lawry ex president of the Methodist Conference, is convalescent at Brockenhurst Hospital. He was suffering from the effects of gas but his condition has improved under treatment. He was a pupil at the Napier Boys High School and then at the Auckland Grammar School. He enlisted towards the end of last year, being then on the staff of the South British Ins. Co at Auckland. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

LENNAN, Rifleman Anthony, killed in action 10 May, aged 33, was the fourth son of Mrs D Lennan, Waiwera. For about four years he was on the sea, mostly on cargo boats, trading around NZ. Two of his brothers are now at the front, Herman being in France and Louis in Egypt. A third brother, James, is now on his way to the war zone. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

LEWIS, 2 Lieutenant Samuel E, wounded, is a partner in the firm of Messrs Lewis & Cameron, Marton. He left NZ as officer commanding G Company of one of the reinforcements for the Rifle Brigade. He went to the firing line in Auckland of last year and went through the Somme offensive. He was on active service in the South African War and prior to going to Marton was on the staff of Messrs Grey & Ford, Auckland. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.47

LEWIS, Lt/Col T Hope, Inspector of Military Hospitals in NZ, died suddenly on Tuesday. (Long article) [AWN 14.06.1917] p.47

MACKAY, Private Gilbert, son of Mr George J Mackay, Wood St, Ponsonby, is dangerously ill in hospital in France as the result of a wound in the chest. He was well known in yachting circles in Auckland and prior to enlisting was employed by the Auckland Harbour Board. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

MARSACK, Sergeant Cyril, younger of two sons of Inspector R Marsack of Wellington, formerly chief-detective in Auckland, has been killed in action. Sgt Marsack was educated at the Grafton School, Auckland and Auckland Grammar School. Prior to enlisting he was on the clerical staff of the Northern Steamship Co. He enlisted with the main body and was in camp at Epsom for some weeks until an Attack of pneumonia led to his being discharged from camp. He rejoined the forces later and left NZ at the end of 1915. The elder son, Lieutenant C C MARSACK, is serving with the company to which the Late Sgt Marsack belonged. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

McLEOD, Trooper Colin D, whose death has been reported, is the fifth son of Mrs W McLeod of North River, Waipu. Leaving NZ on 15 April with the North Auckland Mounted Rifles, he served at the Dardanelles operations and after the evacuation, in Egypt. He was taken a prisoner of the Turks on 4 August 1916 and later reports from him stated that he was suffering from fever to which he succumbed on 4 January last. [AWN 14. 06.1917] P.48

MILLER, Private Ray, killed in action in France, was the eldest son of Mr Thomas Miller of Waiuku. He enlisted directly he was 21 years of age and had served a year at the time of his death. At the time of enlistment he was a traveller for Messrs Wallace & Co. of Waiuku. He was successively a member of the Cadets and the Mounted Rifles. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

MORRISON, Private R T, who died of pneumonia on 24 May, at Belton Park Hospital, Grantham, England, was the eldest son of Mr Edward Morrison of Red Bluff, Warkworth. He left NZ as a machine-gunner. He was a recognised authority on fruit culture. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

NOTLEY, Sergeant Major Percy F, who took part in the raid of 21 February last and is now a prisoner of war in Germany and wounded, is a Londoner by birth and education. He served in the Boer War with the Engineers and arrived in Auckland about 16 years ago. He was 14 years in the employ of the Auckland City Council and at the time of enlisting was Assistant Valuer. He left with the Infantry in August 1916 and was promoted to Sergeant Major before leaving camp. He passed the examination for commission but having just over the number required for his draft, was given a certificate of eligibility. From the inception of the National Reserves until his enlistment he was one of the instructors and during the latter part of the time was officer commanding the Engineers Unit. He has a cousin, Staff Sergeant Major J NOTLEY who was recently reported to have been drowned and who acted as drill instructor at the Epsom camp, Main Body. He also has a brother, a Captain, with the Home regular forces in France. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.29

PAINE, Private Charles, son of Mr Frank Paine, Empire Rd, Epsom, who left NZ with an early contingent, has been wounded and is now in hospital progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

RAMSAY, Captain Stuart, DSO, of Christchurch, has been officially reported missing and the colonel of his regiment has further reported that he fears he has been killed. Capt Ramsay left Christchurch shortly after the war broke out and obtained a commission in the Imperial Army. His work in the trenches speedily brought him not only promotion but also special recognition, as he was granted the DSO last year and had the honour of being personally decorated by the King. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

RATTRAY, Victor, son of Rev J Rattray of Mamaku, who was wounded at the Somme on 17 September, has been readmitted to the NZ General Hospital, Brockenhurst, suffering from an old gunshot wound to the left hand. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.18

ROBB, Bombardier Malcolm, son of Mr Alex. Robb of Onehunga, has been severely wounded in the chest and is in a French hospital. This is the second time he has been wounded, the former occasion being in November of last year. Mr Robb’s second son is with the Mounted Rifles in Palestine and the third son leaves for Trentham this month as a volunteer. [AWN 14.06.1917] P.47

SALISBURY, Private Charles, NZ Engineers, died in England 28 May from cerebral haemorrhage. He was the son of Mr J Salisbury of Milton Rd, Mt Roskill, and leaves a widow whose home is in Buchanan St, Newton. He was for about 07 years employed in the mechanicians department of the Auckland Post Office. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.47

SANDERS - The award of the Victoria Cross to Lieutenant Commander SANDERS, Royal Naval Reserve, an Aucklander, is announced in a cable. He is the eldest son of Mr & Mrs E H C Sanders of Takapuna and is aged 35. The record of the deed which won the Victoria Cross is withheld for the present but it is believed it was won during one of the most brilliant of the minor engagements of the war. Lieut Commander William Edward Sanders was born in Auckland and was educated at Nelson Street School. After completing his education he started his sea career in the small steamer Kapanui, running out of Auckland. His next ship was the Government steamer Hinemoa. After leaving the Hinemoa young Sanders joined one of the Craig line of sailing vessels. He passed as second mate and then as first mate and was first mate of the Joseph Craig when that vessel ran on to Rough Rock near Cheltenham Beach. Not much damage was done and the vessel left Auckland for Kaipara where she loaded timber for Australia. It was while leaving Kaipara for Melbourne that the vessel ran ashore inside the Kaipara Bar and became a total wreck. The crew, of which Sanders was one, had a narrow escape, getting ashore in one of the ship’s boats just before the vessel commenced to break up. Sanders next went to Sydney, where he passed for extra master and some time afterwards joined the Union Steam Ship Co. He was with the Union Company for about a year as third officer of the Willochra and on the Tofua. When the war broke out Mr Sanders offered his services to the Admiralty but was not called on until about 18 months ago. He left NZ as extra officer on a steamer bound for England and reported himself to the Admiralty. He was sent aboard a warship with the rank of sub-lieutenant. He quickly gained promotion and within a little over a year was gazetted lieutenant-commander. He was twice recommended for decoration by his admiral. Lieutenant Commander Sanders’ father is at present in the Auckland Hospital recovering from an operation. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

SINNOTT, Corporal W E, killed in action, left NZ with an early reinforcement draft and since his arrival in France had been continuously at the front. He leaves a widow and family. He previously resided in the Dargaville district but for many years had lived in Auckland, being engaged by local shipping interests, more recently by the Northern S S Co., prior to which he served for some years with the Devonport Steam Ferry Co. on the Auckland-Birkenhead service. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

SMITH, 2nd Lieutenant Edwin Crago, killed in action in France, was the youngest son of Mr J Cole Smith of Northcote, formerly Mt Eden, and only brother of Captain W C SMITH, commandant of the Northcote National Reserve. He was 35 years of age, a builder by trade and had some 12 years previous experience as a volunteer, having been in the No.1 NZ Natives Co. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

VINCENT, Private Lincoln McD, second son of Mr H L Vincent of Christchurch, has been killed in France. He was educated at Christ’s College and subsequently was on the staffs of the Christchurch Press and the Lyttelton Times. [AWN 28.06.1917] P.24

WATSON, Lieut F W, who has been killed, was a son of Mr F H Watson of Bulls and was 26 years of age. He was educated at the Christchurch Boys High School and the Canterbury College, where he had a fine scholastic career. He was also a splendid athlete. Upon leaving school he entered the Lands & Survey Dept and was one of the most promising surveyors and draughtsmen in the Government service. He was transferred to Auckland some years ago and spent some time in North Auckland district. When war was declared he joined an Auckland machine-gun section as private. He saw much service on Gallipoli, being awarded the DCM for his fine work during the Suvla Bay advance. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.17

WHITEMAN, Lieut Colonel John, a New Zealander serving with the Imperial Forces, - whose name, owing to an error in transmission, was given in a cable message as WHITING — received wounds in the battle of Arras, from which he died within 24 hours. He was in command of a Naval Brigade with the temporary rank of major general. He was 43 years of age and was educated at Wanganui College. He served in the South African War, receiving two medals and seven clasps, also being mentioned in despatches. His regiment was the third to land in France in the present war and he was the only officer not wounded or killed in the retreat from Mons. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.18

WILSON, Lieutenant A C, second son of the late Alexander Cracroft Wilson of Christchurch, died of wounds on 13 June. He was 36 years of age and popularly known throughout NZ as a prominent Representative Rugby footballer. For many years he was a stalwart of the Christchurch Football Club and had represented the provinces of Canterbury, Otago, Wellington and Auckland. He served with the NZ Mounted Rifles in the South African War. He left NZ over a year ago. [AWN 21.06.1917, p.20]

WILSON, R A, Royal Siege Artillery (Imperial Forces) in France — appointed to Major in Charge of a Battery which has been serving in battle at Arras. Major Wilson has been only 8 months at the front, s/o Sir James Wilson. [AWN 07.06.1917] P.48

WORSLEY, Lieutenant W R, son of Mr G A Worsley, headmaster of the Otonga school, is at present in London suffering from slight shell shock. Lieut Worsley was educated at the Auckland Grammar School where he was a lieutenant in the school cadets. [AWN 21.06.1917] P.47

Return To HOME