Search billions of records on

JUNE 1916

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

JUNE 1916

AIMER, Mr G V, of Auckland, now has a commission in the Royal Flying Corps. Since qualifying as pilot he has been instructing in aviation at the London Provincial Aviation Co's School, pending the decision of the War Office. Mr Aimer arrived in October last. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

BECKMAN, Captain A, NZ Engineers, killed whilst taking part in a demonstration of bomb throwing and trench fighting at Trentham. Lieut BALE, late Warrant Officer, Royal Engineers, was injured. Capt Beckman leaves a wife who is at present very ill and 3 children, the eldest daughter being 20 years of age. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.18

BINNEY, Mr Roy C, of Auckland, has just received his commission in the Royal Field Artillery. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

BLOOMFIELD, Second Lieutenant W R, Royal Flying Corps, of Auckland, has recovered from the effects of the wound in his leg and is now on light duty in this country. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

BUCHANAN, Lieut William Archibald, 1st Battalion Connaught Rangers and Royal Flying Corps, - His death occurred in England on Wednesday last week as the result of accidental injuries. He was the eldest son of Mr Archibald Buchanan of Remuera and was nearly 22 yrs old. Born in Auckland, Lieut Buchanan was educated at King's College, with the exception of a short period at Clifton College, Bristol. With the intention of entering the Indian Army, he studied for admission to Sandhurst and was successful in passing the entrance examination. While he was at Sandhurst war was declared and shortly afterwards he was offered and accepted a commission in the Connaught Rangers. With his regiment, Lieut Buchanan saw a great deal of service at Neuve Chapelle, including the second battle of Ypres last year, when the regiment suffered in the leg on April 25 and was invalided to England. Upon his recovery, Lieut Buchanan was declared by a medical board to be unfit for foreign service but he obtained permission to join the Royal Flying Corps. He qualified some time ago for the pilot's certificate and had probably received his commission when he met with a bad accident, of which his father was advised a few days ago. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

BUTTERWORTH, Mr H M of Wanganui College, who was killed in action at Loos, was at the time holding the temporary rank of captain, having command of a company of the Rifle Brigade. The appointment, which was dated three weeks before he was killed, has just been gazetted. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

DAVENPORT, Flight Sub Lieut Norman R, of Auckland, who is attached to the naval wing of the air service, is having a very varied and interesting experience. Though still attached at an important air defence station he is spending a good deal of time at sea on board one of our seaplane ships, which has a fast seaplane scout aboard. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

DOIDGE, Private E B, who is reported wounded, was formerly a member of the literary of the 'Weekly News' and at the time of his enlistment had been for some time in charge of the illustrated department. He first joined the staff in March 1913. He left with one of the early reinforcements and went into camp about one year ago. His brother, Corporal F W DOIDGE, very recently went into the non-commissioned officers' camp. Pte Doidge's parents live in Victoria. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

ESSON, Lieut Colonel James, 5th, Wellington, Regiment, NZEF, was, at Buckingham Palace, admitted to the most distinguished Order of St Michael and St George. At the same time the King also conferred the Military Cross upon a large number of officers, among them being Captain Eric F W MacKENZIE, RAMC of Wellington, and son of Dr F Wallace Mackenzie. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

FLEMING, Gunner Reginald Ivan, who was recently reported grounded, is the eldest son of Mrs E M Fleming of Church St, Devonport. He was educated at the Remuera and Devonport schools and at St John's College. On the outbreak of war he enlisted in the main body of the Expeditionary Force as a gunner, having been a member of "A" Battery. He had been attached to the headquarters staff and was on the Gallipoli Peninsula for six months. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

FRANCIS, Sergeant, Auckland Infantry, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for good work in bomb-throwing and in training bomb-throwers. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

GANE, Captain Francis Egmont, killed in action in France on 14 May, while serving with the Canadian forces, was a New Zealander, having been born at Normanby in 1885. He was brought up to farming pursuits but went to Klondyke with his elder brother after the latter had paid a holiday visit to NZ from that place. Mining, however, did not suit the younger man and he took up teaching as a profession, later obtaining his degrees of B.A. and M.A. He was on the eve of being married when war broke out and at once enlisted, being appointed a lieutenant and subsequently he was promoted to captain's rank and posted to one of the Canadian Highland regiments. Captain Gane was of the best type of New Zealander, a fine, high-spirited young man and his death has cut short a promising career. His parents still reside at Normanby and will have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their sad loss. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

GEANGE, Trooper Walter - An interesting member of the party of overseas soldiers who attended the entertainment given by the King and Queen at Buckingham Palace was Trooper Walter Geange of the Wellington Mounted Rifles, who has been an inmate of St Thomas' Hospital for some months, suffering from a bullet through the spine. The invitations were necessarily few compared with the number of wounded in London and it was due to Mrs Irven W RAYMOND that Tpr Geange was one of the guests. Mrs Raymond, an official visitor of the War Contingent Assn, was especially anxious that Tpr Geange should be included and when her persistent importunities of officials had only extracted a half promise, she finally wrote straight to the Queen. Result - the invitation was received the following morning. Tpr Geange was taken to the Palace in an invalid chair and was wheeled by the Royal butlers into the entertainment room and also into tea. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

GLASGOW, Lieutenant Colonel A E, Royal Sussex Regt, has been wounded. He is an 'old boy' of Nelson College and was with the relief force at Chitral in 1895 for which he received the medal with clasp. Two years later he was again fighting on the North-west Frontier of India, receiving a second clasp to his medal and immediately afterwards he took part in the Tirah expedition, obtaining a third clasp. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

GLASGOW, Major W J T, reserve of officers, has been promoted from Lieutenant Colonel, Royal West Surrey Regt, to be temporary Brigadier-General, attached to headquarters units. He is an 'old boy' of Nelson College and was the first from that school to gain a commission in the Imperial Army. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

GLENN, Lieut W A, s/o Mrs Glenn of Hawera, has been awarded the Military Cross. Lt Glenn is a settler in the Makirikiri district. He left for England shortly after the war broke out, in order to join a regiment there. He was a member of the famous ‘All Black’ rugby team. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

GOULD, 2nd Lieut G O A, aged 21 yrs, King’s Royal Rifles, second s/o George Gould of Christchurch, died of wounds, France. Educated at Christ’s College and Harrow; studying for the law when war broke out. Temporary Aide-de-Campe to the Governor, Lord Liverpool, before going to England and obtaining a commission. [AWN 29.06.1916] p.52

HARDING, Captain Ernest Ashley Cable advice received by Mr Alfred Harding states that his son, Captain Ernest Ashley Harding of Dargaville, who was mentioned in Saturday's casualty list, was only slightly wounded and that he is now in England. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

HAULTAIN, Sister Frances — D/o the late Mr A R Theodore HAULTAIN, former Town Clerk of ???? Died at Suva on 16 June of meningitis. She trained at Dunedin Infirmary and went from Auckland to Samoa 5 months ago as Charge Nurse of a military hospital. She became so ill her mother and sister went to bring her home but had to disembark at Suva. [AWN 29.06.1916] p.20

HELDT, Corporal E R, who is reported to have been killed in action on 3 June, was born at Helensville and was educated at New Plymouth. He was first employed by Mr J Cobbe, Feilding, and when his parents removed to Auckland he obtained employment with Messrs Smith & Caughey Ltd and remained with the latter firm until the outbreak of war. He was one of the first to volunteer for active service, and served in the Samoan Force for nine months. On his return to the Dominion he joined the First Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade, and was in action against the Senusi on Christmas Day and again at a later date. Cpl Heldt started his military career as a school cadet and later was a very keen territorial. He has a brother on active service in France and another will leave for camp with next Tuesday's draft of reinforcements. His parents reside at Jubilee Avenue, Devonport. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.20

HELLABY, Second Lieutenant J A E, Royal Engineers, of Auckland, has now his rank of first lieutenant, as also has Second Lieutenant R GOULD, RFA, of Christchurch. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

HENDERSON, Sergeant A, Otago Infantry, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for consistent good work while in charge of a machine-gun section. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

HOLMDEN, Lieutenant T N, has been slightly wounded in Mesopotamia, where he was with the new force for the relief of General TOWNSHEND. Mr Holmden, who belongs to Auckland, was a member of the main body, NZEF, from which he obtained his commission. He served at Suvla and in both the evacuations of the peninsula. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

INNES, Dr A J of Auckland, is a lieutenant in the RAMC, stationed at Chelmsford. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

JENKINS, Sergeant F, Divisional Train, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for performing, during a considerable period, the duties of an officer and by his ability, application and common sense, being equal to all emergencies. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

JONES, 2nd Lieutenant Griffith Rogers, whose name appeared among the list of wounded, was the youngest son of the late Rev Griffith Jones of Waipu. He came to Auckland from Wales with his parents over 20 years ago and was educated in the city. He afterwards entered the teaching profession, being for some years first assistant at the Devonport school and later first assistant at the Mt Albert school. In a private cablegram received in Auckland, he states that his injuries are not serious. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

KEEFFE, Private Albert Henry, who is reported to have been killed in action on 4 June, was the only son of Mrs R McLean of 14 College Hill, Auckland. He was born in Auckland 24 years ago and was educated at the Nelson Street public school. He was a tailor by trade and at the time of his enlistment in the 9th Reinforcements was employed by Messrs P Groos & Co. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.20

LAING, Lieut Charles McMenamen, s/o Mr Montagu Laing, Managing Director of Messrs Sargood Son & Ewen Ltd, was awarded the Military Cross for valour shown at Cape Helles before the Gallipoli evacuation, aged 2? Years. He was educated at The Terrace School, Wellington, then went to England. He obtained notice in rowing circles and was a member of the Kingston Eight which rowed at Henley. He has won over 42 awards in rowing. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.19

LANGLEY, Quartermaster Sergeant James Henry, who was wounded in France on 1 June, is the only surviving son of Mrs Langley of Kelmarna Ave, Herne Bay. He was born in Essex, England, in 1873 and when only a few months old, came to NZ with his parents. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

LAWRENCE, Private Richard, who has been wounded, is the only son of Mrs M Lawrence of Wall Road, Penrose. He was educated at the Ellerslie public school and at the outbreak of war was serving his apprenticeship with Messrs Holland and Gillett Ltd. Pte Lawrence went through the memorable landing at the Dardanelles on 25 April 1915 and was continuously in the trenches until 25 August when he was removed to Malta, suffering from a nervous breakdown. [AWN 08.06.1916] P.20

LITTLE, Sergeant J, Otago Infantry, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for carrying out frequent night reconnaissances to ascertain the effect of his bombs and to discover targets. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

McBRIDE, Corporal, NZ Field Artillery — A remarkable incident which may be regarded as a sequel to the loss of the cruiser Hampshire occurred on Wednesday last week. He left NZ with the main body and was serving at Gallipoli when a bomb was dropped from a Turkish aeroplane, landing on the parapet of the gun emplacement, killing his brother and 7 other soldiers. Cpl McBride received an injury to his spine which affected his right arm and leg. The leg became better but his arm was paralysed and after spending seven months in the hospital in Cairo and two months in the Wellington Hospital. He went to Dunedin with the object of having it amputated, his medical advisers having recommended such a course. When he received the news of the loss of the Hampshire and was informed of what had occurred, he got a severe shock, as he had served under Earl Kitchener in the South African war ……………………… [AWN 15.06.1916, p.19

McGREGOR, Second Lieutenant Alan Godfrey, who was wounded on 17 June, is 22 yrs of age and is the eldest son of the late Mr W A McGregor, and Mrs M McGregor of Ponsonby Road. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and later at Wanganui College. He subsequently entered the office of his uncle, Mr M G McGregor, solicitor. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.20

McKINSTRY, Private George Lee, who was killed in action in May 29 was 23 years of age and was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs L McKinstry, of Sarsfield St, Ponsonby. He was educated at the Ponsonby school and the Auckland Grammar School and subsequently took up the carpentering trade. Prior to the war Pte McKinstry was a member of the 3rd, Auckland, Regiment and at the outbreak of hostilities he joined the Samoan Expeditionary Force. He then went to Trentham and sailed later for the front. Sapper L McKinstry, a younger brother, died in camp at Trentham eight years ago. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

McLAUGHLIN, Private Henry James, who was killed in action on 27 May, was 28 years of age, and was the youngest son of the late Mrs Mary McLaughlin of Ahaura, Westland. He was educated at the Ahaura school and he afterwards entered the Railway Dept, being stationed for a number of years in the West Coast and Auckland districts. Subsequently he joined the Lands Department and was engaged in dredging operations sty the Rangataiki Swamp, Bay of Plenty, at the time of his enlistment. Private McLaughlin took a prominent interest in athletic sports, such as football and running. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

McNEIL, Private Alfred Alexander, who was killed in action on 31 May was born at Port Charles and was the eldest son of Mr John McNeil of Coromandel. His grandfather, Mr Alexander McNeil of Coromandel, saw service in the Maori war. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.52

MOOR, Sergeant Major F, Army Medical Corps, for consistent good work and devotion to duty. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

MORICE, Private A, reported wounded, is a son of Mr W Morice of Opotiki. This is the third of Mr Morice's sons who have been wounded. All three enlisted with the Auckland contingents. Private Archie Morice was wounded at Gallipoli and was taken prisoner, the last advice being that he was at Constantinople. Private Leslie MORICE was seriously wounded in the engagement with the Senussi on Christmas Day. Private Alan MORICE's wound is in the arm. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.32

OGLE, Pte Alton George, aged 20, E.Co., 14th Reinforcements, died from cerebro-spinal meningitis at Featherston Camp. [AWN 15.06.1916] p.19

OKEY, Rifleman A J, whose death in action was announced a few days ago, was the youngest brother of Mr H J H Okey, M.P., for Taranaki. Rifleman Okey left NZ with the 10th reinforcements. He was 45 years of age and leaves a wife and three children. He was at one time an official of the National Bank of New Plymouth and was subsequently in the employ of Mr Newton King. About 15 years ago he settled in Greymouth. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

PARRISH, Sergeant Major Arthur, of Northcote, who was wounded a few days ago and admitted to hospital, is the youngest son of Mr M Parrish of Northcote. He enlisted in the early part of the war and did coastguard duty for several weeks prior to leaving with the sixth reinforcements as a member of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

POWELL, Private Gerald Massey, who was killed in action on 6 June was a son of Mr Henry C Powell, formerly of Herekino and now residing in Great North Road, Auckland. He was born in Herekino and was 24 yrs old. The first of three brothers to reach the front, Private Powell took part in the Gallipoli campaign. Two other brothers enlisted some time ago and will leave for the training camp shortly. Both are married and have families. Mr Powell himself arrived in NZ in 1865 and fought in the Maori wars, acting as scout and guide under von Tempsky, McDonald and Whitmore. He was wounded at Pangorau in Taranaki. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.20

RHIND, Corporal H, Canterbury Infantry, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for good work in charge of scouts and snipers and also for going alone on a risky enterprise and accounting for several of the enemy. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

RHODES, Lance Corporal William Edward, who is reported to have died of wounds on 5 June, was the only son of Mr & Mrs R Rhodes of 28 Ardmore Rd, Ponsonby. He was born in Auckland 26 years ago and was educated at the Dargaville public school and the Aratapu High School. L/Cpl Rhodes had always taken a keen interest in military matters and at one time was a member of the old Newton Rifles and held the rank of lieutenant in the Eden Defence cadets. Subsequently he joined the territorials, holding a commission as first lieutenant. When he enlisted in the 8th Reinforcements he was employed by Messrs Wingate & Co as despatch clerk. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

RYAN, Private J, who was killed in action on 1 June, was the eldest son of Mrs M Walsh of Hamilton East. He was born at Tawa Flat near Wellington and was 22 years of age at the time of his death. He served his apprenticeship to the linotype-operating trade with the Napier Daily Telegraph Co and afterwards was employed by the Waikato Times, Hamilton. From there, about four years ago, he went to Australia where he was connected with the Ballarat Echo. On the outbreak of war he enlisted in the Australian forces but was invalided back to Australia from Egypt owing to ill health. He afterwards returned to NZ where he re-enlisted. His brother, Driver D C RYAN, is on active service. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.52

SCHMIDT, Sergeant Major G H, who is reported to have died from wounds on 4 June, was the youngest son of Mr G E Schmidt and was aged 21 years and 9 months. He was born at Opua, Bay of Islands, and was educated at the Onehunga District High School where he held the position of lieutenant in the senior cadets. On leaving school he joined the mercantile marine and on enlisting had only a short term to serve before qualifying for examination for a position as officer. Sgt Major Schmidt enlisted in April 1915 as a non-commissioned officer and proceeded to camp in the following October. He left NZ as a sergeant major with the 10th Reinforcements. [AWN 29.06.1916] P.20

SHORT, Lieutenant James, who died of wounds last month, was formerly stationmaster at Ravensbourne near Dunedin. At the outbreak of war he enlisted in the force that captured Samoa. On his return to NZ some seven months later he was appointed to the sixth reinforcements. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

There are a number of NZ Army nurses on board the hospital ships Egypt, including Misses F SIDDELLS, Wanganui; E M MARTIN, V P BAYLY and K E WRIGHT, of Auckland, and A BUCKLEY, of Waimate. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

SMITH, Colonel G J, ex M.L.C., who leaves shortly for England to offer his services to the War Office, Was farewelled by officers of the Canterbury Garrison Club. [AWN 08.06.1916] p.20

SMITH, Mr S F of Auckland, who was unfit for military service, has been engaged at munition work since he arrived in London in November. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

STEWART, Lance Corporal Matthew, recently reported as wounded, is the eldest son of Mrs H D Stewart of Parawai, Thames. Being one of the first to enlist he left NZ with the main body (6th Haurakis) and went through the campaign against the Turks, afterwards going to France with the Anzacs. He was a pupil of the Thames High School and a prominent athlete on the football field. Another brother, Jack STEWART, is at present in camp at Curragh, Ireland, and David STEWART, the third son of the family, died of wounds, received at Gallipoli. [AWN 08.06.1916] P.20

STUCKEY, Major F - A tribute to the memory of the late Major Stuckey, who was killed in action at Gallipoli, is published in the last issue of the King's Collegian, the journal of King's College. Major Stuckey was a member of the college teaching staff during three periods embracing 15 years. By his will he bequeathed to the college his private library, a sum of £100 to form the nucleus of a fund to build a school swimming bath and £100, the interest on which is to provide an annual sixth form English prize. [AWN 29.06.1916] p.22

SYKES - Amongst the callers at the High Commissioner's Office this week was Mr T G Sykes, father of Lieut Colonel F B SYKES, DSO, commanding the 2nd Brigade NZ Artillery. Mr Sykes saw 40 years service in India, most of the time as principal of the Martiniere College at Lucknow, after which he retired and settled down in England. He was himself keenly interested in volunteer movements. For 24 years he held commissions ranging from lieutenant to lieutenant colonel in the Martiniere Companies of rifle volunteers. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

THOMAS, Trooper William Evan, died at Auckland Hospital on Wednesday of last week. He was accorded a military funeral with the gun carriage provided by A Battery, NZFA. He left NZ as a member of the 3rd, Auckland, Mounted Rifles, Main Body, and fought at Gallipoli. He was wounded with shrapnel and invalided to England, later returning to Auckland on the steamer Turakina. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.21

THOMSON, Gunner J C, 13th Reinforcements, only s/o Mr J C Thomson, M.P. for Wallace, died at Greytown Hospital on Thursday. [AWN 08.06.1916] p.21

TREACHER, Despatch Rider Arnold R. Advice has been received by Mrs Walter Treacher, Kings View Rd, Mt Eden, that her third son has been wounded in France. He was formerly employed by Messrs L D Nathan & Co and when he enlisted a year ago was only 18 years of age. One of his brothers was killed at Gallipoli. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

UREN, Lieutenant Philip, 1ST Lancashire Fusiliers, killed in action 18 May. A previous cable message reported that he had been missing since that date. Lieut Uren was educated at the Lawrence High School. He left Auckland with the 11th, North Auckland, Mounted Rifles, main body and was subsequently recommended for a commission. After studying at Cairo for some time, he was appointed to the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers and went through the Gallipoli campaign, acting as bombing officer for his company. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.20

UREN, Lieut Philip of the 29th Division, Lancashire Fusiliers, who was killed in France on 18 May, was the youngest son of Mr P Uren, late town clerk of Lawrence, Otago. He left the service of the Bank of NSW to enlist with the main expeditionary force from Auckland and was subsequently promoted to lieutenant. He passed through all the fighting in Gallipoli, from the landing to the evacuation, without receiving a scratch but had only been two weeks in France before meeting his death. [AWN 08.06.1916] P.20

VARDAO, Private, Army Medical Corps, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, for gallantry and good work when attached to the infantry battalion. [AWN 29.06.1916, p.24]

WALLACE, Driver William, It was reported last week that Dvr Wm Wallace of Gisborne, ASC, had been killed in action on 31st May. However, a mistake was made — the man killed being William WALLACE of Thames. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.49

WALSH, Bernard, enlisted in the 14th Reinforcements, died at Karori on Sunday. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.20

WEYMOUTH, Mr Norman, late of Parnell, has a commission in the Royal Engineers. Until coming to England to offer his services he had been engaged in the Argentine for some time as civil engineer. [AWN 01.06.1916] p.31

WHITE, Lieutenant David, reported wounded, is one of five sons who went from Roxburgh with the early Expeditionary Forces. He went right through the Gallipoli fighting without receiving injury. [AWN 15.06.1916] P.20

WHITE, 2nd Lieutenant Thos. D, who has been reported wounded is the eldest son of Mrs William Comtin of Roxburgh, Otago. He is 23 years of age and was born at Glasgow, coming to NZ with his mother and brothers in November 1910. On the outbreak of war he was farming near Roxburgh and he enlisted in the main body for the Expeditionary Force, with which he fought, without being injured, throughout the campaign at Gallipoli, where he was promoted to the rank of sergeant-major. He received his lieutenancy on returned to Egypt. Before enlisting he was a corporal in the territorials and took an active interest in the affairs of the Anglican Church at Roxburgh. Lieut White's three brothers are on active service. [AWN 22.06.1916] P.20

WILSON, Lieutenant Kirkby H, of Auckland, is now on the Tigris. His younger brother is still with the New Zealanders. [AWN 01.06.1916] P.31

Return To HOME