Search billions of records on

JULY 1916

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

JULY 1916

ADAMS, Air Mechanic F L, who was announced in yesterday's casualty list as being a prisoner of war, is a son of Mr F L Adams of Simeon St, Addington. He was born at Sydenham and attended the Sydenham school and is 23 yrs of age. He was present at the operations on Bagdad (sic) and took part in the fighting at Ctesiphon. He was in Kut-el-Amars with General Townshend's force when it surrendered. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

ALLEN, Major Robert Candlish, who was reported wounded on 3 July, has now rejoined his regiment. His wife is Mrs J T Allen, Annandale, Piako. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

ANNAN, Gunner W G F, who was recently reported as wounded, is the eldest son of Captain Peter John Annan who is well known in Auckland and who is now the proprietor of the Railway Hotel at Port Ahuriri. Gunner Annan was educated at Newton East school and afterwards learned the carpentering trade. He lived for some time at Napier. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

BAILEY, Private Albert J - A military funeral was accorded on Friday at Clevedon to Private Albert James Bailey, aged 22 years, who died of pneumonia at the Upper Hutt Military Hospital on 18 July. He was the only son of Mr & Mrs Frank Bailey of Ness Valley, Clevedon, where he lived. Very great sympathy by all is felt for his parents and relatives. He was buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery, Clevedon, the Rev Mr Jacobson officiating. A large number of people were present, the local cadets firing the last volley over his grave. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.33

BAGNALL, Acting Sergeant George Stevenson, who is reported to have been dangerously wounded, is the third son of the late Mr Albert C Bagnall of Turua and his mother resides in Mason's Avenue, Herne Bay. He enlisted at the commencement of the war. On 8 August, at Gallipoli, he was wounded and invalided to England. Subsequently he was attached to an artillery company with the rank of acting sergeant. Prior to enlisting he was employed in the office of Messrs John Burns & Co Ltd. Acting Sgt Bagnall is about 27 yrs of age and at one time was a member of the West End Tennis Club. Although reported to be dangerously ill, private advices received state that he is progressing satisfactorily. His brother, Bombardier Alan BAGNALL, left for the front with a reinforcement draft. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.49

BAKER, Sergeant Keith, reported killed, was a well known graduate of Canterbury College and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor before he enlisted with the main body. He was prominent in athletic circles and was a member of the Management Committee of the Canterbury Rugby Union. Sgt Baker took part in the land on, and also the evacuation from, Gallipoli and was among the February nominees for an Imperial commission. He took his LL.B. degree when he was 21 yrs of age. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

BARLOW, Private J C, who has been reported wounded, is the son of the late Mr P W Barlow, C.E., of Matakohe, Kaipara. His mother resides in Grey Street, Devonport. Pte Barlow was educated at the Devonport school and at Mr T Harle Giles' college. He was a popular athlete and he always took an active part in football at North Shore. In 1901 he was captain of the Association football team. Returning 12 months ago from Queensland, where he had been engaged in farming for two years, Pte Barlow took up survey work in the Waikato and has been on active service in France for some time. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.21

BATES, Private Frederick, reported wounded on 7 July, was previously wounded at Gallipoli in August of last year. He was born at Onehunga and is a son of Mr F Bates of Valley Rd, Mt Eden. He left NZ early last year. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

BLACK, Lieutenant G H, Gisborne sheep farmer, brother of Lieutenant E R BLACK, was killed in action on 14 July while assisting a wounded man. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

BOND, Private Alfred Herbert, who has been wounded in France, was employed on the machine room staff of the 'Weekly News' prior to enlisting. He is 30 years of age and was born in Bristol. He learnt the engineering trade and was in the service of the British Navy as an engineer until his health suffered and he was discharged. He came to NZ and was for some time in Hawkes Bay prior to coming to Auckland. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

BOND, Private Percy, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mr J S Bond, Hamilton, and was born at Cambridge. He left NZ last year. Pte Bond has two brothers at the front, Lieutenant A J Bond and Lieutenant Frank Bond. Another brother, Augustine Bond, was killed at the Dardanelles. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

BOND, Captain Victor Roach, NZEF, son of Mr Stephen Bond, caretaker of Government House, has been slightly wounded in France. Captain Bond, who had been employed by the Railway Dept at Ellerslie and afterwards by the Lands Dept in Wellington, accompanied the advance guard to Samoa on the outbreak of war. When the guard was relieved, he proceeded to Egypt with one of the reinforcement drafts. Captain Bond saw service at Gallipoli and came through unscathed. He has two brothers on active service. Although only 23 years of age, Captain Bond rapidly gained promotion, his enthusiasm for military work and his experience while in the territorials standing him in good stead. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

BOWRON, Lieutenant S G, who has been wounded, is a son of Mr George Bowron of Bowron Bros., the well known leather merchants of Christchurch. Private advice states that he has lost his right eye but his remaining eye is sound and his other wounds not serious. He left with the fifth reinforcements. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

BRAY, Sergeant B R, who has been wounded at the front, has been on active service since February. Though keen to take his place in the firing line, his ability at clerical work called for his attachment to the battalion headquarters staff at the time he left NZ. However, being always regarded as a splendid shot, he was probably transferred to a fighting unit at the time of his enlistment. He held the position of records clerk in the railway district traffic manager's office at Auckland. Sgt Bray is 29 yrs of age and his parents reside at Waikouaiti, Otago. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.52

BROOKFIELD, Sergeant Arthur Purchas G, whose name appeared among the list of those who had died of wounds, was 33 years of age and was the second son of Mr F W Brookfield, solicitor, of St Heliers Bay. He was educated at St John's College and afterwards at the Auckland Grammar School. He subsequently adopted engineering as a profession. In regard to athletics he took an active interest in football and was also for some time scoutmaster of the St Heliers Bay boy scout troop. His brother Leonard was killed at Gallipoli, while serving with the NZ forces. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.20

BRYSON, Private Charles, killed in action. The late soldier was born at Napier and received his education at the Boys' High School in that town. After leaving school he joined the staff of the South British Ins. Co. and was for a time stationed in Auckland. Shortly after leaving the company's employ, he enlisted. He arrived in France a little over two months ago and received his final training on the Channel coast. Pte Bryson was very popular both in civil and military circles. He leaves a widow and five children who reside in Frances St, Grey Lynn. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

BURGESS, Private Claude Ernest, reported as having died of wounds, was a son of Mr F J Burgess, stipendiary magistrate, Thames. He left NZ as a member of the 9th Reinforcements. Prior to enlisting he had been a member of the mechanical engineering staff of the Technical College since 1910. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.52

BUTLER, Private Patrick of B.Co., 17th Reinforcements, who died at Trentham Hospital on Sunday of epilepsy, was formerly a farmer at Toko. He was 38 years of age. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.20

BUTTLE, Sergeant Harris Newman, who has been killed in action, was the only son of the late Rev J N Buttle of Christchurch. He was an old High School boy and was captain of the High School Cadets and a member of the first football fifteen. After he left school he followed farming pursuits. Sgt Buttle, who was 24 yrs of age, has a number of relatives in Auckland. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

CAFFERY, Private Robert A, who is reported to be missing, took part in the defence of the Suez Canal. He was in Gallipoli from the landing until early in August when he was invalided to Malta with shock concussion. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

CAMERON, Private Frank, reported wounded in back and legs, is the son of Mr W Cameron of Hora Hora, Whangarei. Mr Cameron's other son Frederick was wounded on Gallipoli. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

CAMPBELL, Lance Corporal D B, who is reported to have been killed in action, was an old boy of the Auckland Grammar School, and was formerly employed at the Public Trust Office in Auckland. His father is Mr Robert Campbell, late of Coromandel. Cpl Campbell was 21 years of age when he met his death. He had previously served in Samoa. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

CARLYON, Private Samuel James, who is reported to have died of wounds, was 19 years of age. He was born at Coromandel, where he received his early education, afterwards removing to Auckland with his parents and attended the Ponsonby school for some years. After leaving school he went to Gisborne where he served his apprenticeship as a blacksmith. At the time of his enlistment he was following his calling at Waiuku. The late Pte Carlyon took part in the fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula on two different occasions before being transferred to France. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

CARMODY, Lieutenant A F, who has been killed, left with the 8th Reinforcements. He held a responsible position on the staff of the NZ Farmers Co-op. Assn in Christchurch. He was a single man 35 yrs of age and belonged to Liverpool, England. He held a commission in senior cadets and was a keen rifle shot. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

CLARK, Private Joseph Reynolds, who was killed in action in France on 21 June, was the eldest son of the late Mr Joseph Clark of Karaka, Drury, where his mother still resides. Pte Clark, who was 42 yrs of age, left with the Eighth Reinforcements, being in the D Co. and on arrival in Egypt was drafted into the Eighth, Southland, Company, 1st Battalion Otago Regt of the 1st Infantry Brigade. He was born at Devonport, educated at the Archill, Papakura and Karaka schools and followed the vocation of a farmer at Karaka until four years ago since when he was engaged at Waikato in connection with the Waihi Gold Mining Co's electric power plant. A brother, Private Leslie G CLARK of the 16th, Waikatos, who left with the main body, was killed at Gallipoli on 8 May 1915 in the 'Daisy Patch' engagement. The youngest brother, Private Alfred Colin Campbell CLARK, of the A Co, 4th Platoon, left with the 13th Reinforcements. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

CLAYTON, 2nd Lieut A C, late of 29th Co. Ponsonby Senior Cadets, has been granted a commission in the Royal Sussex Regiment. [AWN 13.07.1916] p.51

CONDON, Lance Corporal J F B, brother in law of Dr C C Murphy, was killed in action in France on 21 June. A son of the late Mr James Condon, L/Cpl Condon was born in Auckland and completed his education at St Patrick's College, Wellington. He was in the service of Messrs Devore, Martin & Prendergast for about two years and afterwards acted as assistant secretary for the North Auckland Farms' Co-operative Ltd in Whangarei. In January 1911 he went to Canada and was employed on the engineering staff of the Canadian Pacific Railway at Calgary, Alberta. Immediately after the outbreak of war he enlisted and had been in France 18 months. L/Cpl Condon, who was 29 years of age, was a nephew of the Hon, W Beehan, M.L.C. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

COUPER, Lieutenant Simon James Stuart, who is reported killed in action, fought through the Gallipoli campaign, where he was wounded and had to undergo three operations in Malta, before again joining his regiment in Egypt. He was born and educated at Colac Bay, Southland, where he enlisted. Lt Couper was better known as "Tuki Kupa" and was a magnificent specimen of the Maori race, being over 15 stone in weight and 6ft in height. He was formerly a member of the Colac Bay volunteers and in 1901 he was a member of the Maori division of the Federal Contingent which represented NZ at the opening of the Federal Parliament in Melbourne. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

CRAIG, Captain, Auckland - A tribute to the bravery at Gallipoli of Surgeon Captain CRAIG of Auckland was paid by a returned Anzac officer a few days ago in Christchurch. "As the wounded were brought in the congestion became so great that Capt Craig was directed to open an auxiliary clearing station at the foot of Artillery Lane and here attended the wounded. It was under fire and the bullets were flying and shrapnel was whizzing around. One of his assistants had been shot beside him and yet Dr Craig worked without cessation from mid-day until early next morning. Later this Auckland officer was under Colonel Plugge and was wounded. His conduct, his fearlessness and disregard of danger in the execution of his duty were of the bravest men I ever knew." [AWN 06.07.1916] P.56

CROXSON, Private W V O, reported wounded on 23 June, is the eldest son of Mr Robert Croxson of Mangere and is just over 21 years of age. He was educated at the Mangere public school and for about six years assisted his father in dairy farming at Mangere. Pte Croxson left with the 10th Reinforcements. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

DAKING, Private Cyril, who has died of wounds, was one of the principals of House & Daking Ltd, Hamilton, and was born in Suffolk, England, where his parents now reside. He was 31 yrs of age and with his partner, Mr F C House, came to NZ 10 years ago. He entered the employ of Smith & Caughey Ltd and after two years he commenced business with Mr House at Waihi and later at Hamilton and Te Awamutu, managing the branch at the latter place for the past five years. Mr Daking joined the colours at Hamilton. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

De TOURRET, Lieutenant - Mr E de Tourret of Whangarei has received word that his brother had died of wounds at Salonika on 12 May. He had served with the British Army since the outbreak of war. He had just arrived from India on leave when the war commenced and was at once called to rejoin his regiment. He had had 14 years military experience. Mr de Tourret has two other brothers at the front. [AWN 13.07.1916] p.20

DIXON, Corporal A L, formerly town clerk of Whangarei, has been killed in action. He was held in cordial esteem and deep and respectful sympathy is very widely felt in the town and district towards his relatives. The flag on the Town Hall was flying at half-mast on Saturday. The deceased soldier was looked upon as a capable official. He was closely associated with sport and was a good all-round athlete and a valued member of the Masonic fraternity. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

DOHERTY, Sergeant J O, reported wounded on 3 July, is 20 yrs of age. He is a son of Mr J Doherty, 87 Newton Road and was educated at the Nelson Street school. He served his apprenticeship as an engineer under Mr C R Massey. He was an active member of the West End Rowing Club and, prior to the troopship leaving Wellington, took part in the rescue of a comrade from drowning. [AWN 27.07.1916] p.32

DOUGHTY, Lieutenant Harry H, who was wounded on 29 June has telegraphed that his injuries are not serious. He is a son of Mr A B Doughty of the Auckland Savings Bank and is 24 years of age. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

GALLAHER, Mr David, who will leave for camp as a probationary non-commissioned officer with the next draft of reinforcements, was presented at an informal gathering of representatives of Auckland export merchants, held on Friday afternoon with a purse of sovereigns. Captain W BEIK, DSO, added a personal tribute as a friend, in the shape of the binoculars he had used on Gallipoli. Mr David Gallaher was captain of the original "All Black" football team which toured Great Britain in 1906 and had such a sensational record. He also served in a NZ contingent in the South African war. [AWN 20.07.1916, p.22]

GRAY, Lieutenant W A, who is reported to have been wounded is the youngest son of Mr S Gray, clerk to the Mt Eden Borough Council. Lieut Gray was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and the Auckland University College, having achieved an excellent record at both institutions. At college he obtained the degree of Master of Science and succeeded in winning a senior university scholarship and the Gillies and Grey scholarships. Subsequently, he studied engineering, obtained the degree of A.M.I.C.E. and entered the employ of Mr H H Metcalfe. Immediately prior to enlisting he was a member of the district railway engineer's staff. He joined the forces as a sergeant. Lieut Gray was well known in athletic circles, having been a member of the University Cricket and Football Clubs and captain of the university fifteen. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.49

GUTHRIE, Captain Thomas Errol, RAMC, son of Dr T O Guthrie, formerly of Lyttelton has been killed in action in France on 2 July. He was born at Christchurch and educated at the Boys' High School. He took a medical course at Home and afterwards underwent special training at Aldershot where he obtained his commission in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Coming eventually to NZ, he entered on the practice of his profession some three years ago in Feilding. Some months ago he abandoned his practice and went to the front. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.19

HATRICK, Captain James Grierson, second son of Mr R H E Hatrick of Northcote, who is reported to have been wounded, was lieutenant of the Birkenhead Senior Cadets and was on the staff of Messrs George Fowlds Ltd for several years. He received his education at the Hamilton primary and high schools. Two brothers have served at the front, the eldest Private Robert F Hatrick, with the Australian forces, first taking part in the capture of New Guinea and afterwards was killed at Gallipoli. Sergeant Hubert Hatrick was also wounded in Gallipoli. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.49

HODDER, Private Victor J, who was recently reported to have been wounded in the face, is a son of Mr E A Hodder, 43 Calliope Road, Devonport, and is one of seven brothers who have all seen active service. Four have fought in the present war, one was killed in the battle of Mons, another, who was wounded, has since returned to the front and three others served in the South African war. Pte Hodder was employed by the Takapuna Dairy Co. when he enlisted. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.20

HUDSON, Lieutenant Athol who is reported 'missing, believed to be killed' was the 1916 Rhodes scholar for NZ. He was a son of the late Dr Jas Hudson of Nelson and four of his brothers are on active service. Lt Hudson was an old boy of the Nelson College and Waitaki High School and was selected on 21 December last as a Rhodes Scholar for NZ, his studies at the Victoria College, Wellington, having been attended with considerable success. He gained his B.Sc. degree at the last examination and was awarded the senior scholarship in chemistry, which he was debarred from holding, as he already had the Rhodes Scholarship. He was a member of the Samoan Expeditionary Force and while at the Islands he attained non-commissioned rank. When he returned to NZ he volunteered for active service abroad and went into camp as a private. At an examination for commissions there were 41 candidates and Mr Hudson was second on the list. He was very successful in all outdoor sports, having been a notable long-distance runner. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

HUNTER, Corporal Frederick William, who was killed in action on 29 June, was 26 yrs of age and was the son of Mr Charles Hunter, the Hamilton auctioneer of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co, who resides at Cambridge. Cpl Hunter was born at Cambridge where he received his education, first at the primary school and then at the District High School. On leaving school he secured a position in the Hamilton office of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency Co and later was placed on the outside staff. He was a splendid horseman and was a familiar figure in the hunting field and was also a keen and skilled polo player. He represented Waikato in the Savill Cup contest in 1913. He left with the 7th Reinforce-ments. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

HYLTON, Trooper Thomas, killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr Thomas Hylton of Seaforth, Liverpool, England. He was born at Carlisle, Cumberland, England and was 24 yrs of age. After travelling over a large portion of the British Empire, he came to NZ a few years ago and was engaged in mining for some time. Later on he took up farming and at the time of his enlistment was engaged in the Maramarua district. He left NZ last year and was engaged against the Turks at Gallipoli. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

LAMB, Lieutenant Joseph, who is reported to have died on 20 June from wounds received in France, was born in Stockport, England, and arrived in Dunedin with his parents 14 years ago. He joined the volunteer forces at the age of 17 years. During the visit of Sir Ian HAMILTON to Otago he acted as field signaller for the general and was complimented by him on the excellence of his work. Lieut Lamb received his commission on 12 February 1912. He was in command of a signalling section throughout the Gallipoli campaign, among his men being Corporal (now Sergeant) BASSETT, who gained the Victoria Cross and three others who gained Distinguished Conduct Medals. At the beginning of this year he was appointed signalling officer to a brigade of infantry, leaving his old comrades with regret. He was 24 years of age. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

LEARY, Lieutenant E R, youngest son of Mrs D Corrigan, Seaview Road, Remuera, died of wounds on 21 July. He was born at Palmerston North and received his education at the Palmerston North High School, Wellington College and Waitaki High School. He was 21 yrs of age and was always a keen military student. After returning from Samoa with the main body in May of last year he left for England and was accepted as a member of the special reserve of an Imperial regiment. He specialised in machine-gun training and was transferred to France for active service in January last. His brother, Lieutenant L P LEARY, who was reported as dangerously ill, is now convalescent in England. [AWN 27.07.1916] p.32

MAHER, John, a discharged soldier, who fought in the Gallipoli campaign, died at Greymouth on Sunday while hunting a bullock. Circumstances indicated he fell from the horse and was found with a broken neck, with one foot still in the stirrup. Believed to be a native of Victoria, aged in his 30ís. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.56

MATHER, Sergeant Clifford W, who died of wounds, was a son of the Rev J J Mather of Mt Eden. He was 27 years of age and had been in France for three months. On 24 June he was severely wounded in the back and died six days later. Sgt Mather was educated at the Christchurch Boys High School and Palmerston North High School. On leaving the latter institution he went to his uncle, Mrs Charles Bayly, at Toko, Taranaki, and took up farming, remaining with Mr Bayly until he enlisted. For several years he controlled one of Mr Bayly's estates at Glorit, Kaipara. He was of fine physique, standing over 6ft, and excelled in all branches of sport. As a farmer he was noted for his sound judgment. His uncle, Mr Charles Bayly, a large landholder and one of the famous Taranaki football family, some time ago went to England to offer his services to the Imperial Govt and is now in the Inns of Court Officers' Training Corps. A younger brother of Sgt MATHER is now in training in Trentham. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.20

McDONALD, Private Sydney Ernest, who was wounded on 7 June, is the son of Mr J McDonald of Whangarei. He left NZ with the 5th Reinforcements and took part in the battle fought on Gallipoli on 6 August and following days. Subsequently he became ill and was admitted to hospital. He has always taken a keen interest in military matters, being an enthusiastic rifle shot. He won the marksman's bade when 17 1/2 years old. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

McGARRIGLE, Driver James Patrick, youngest son of Mrs A McGarrigle of Hamilton, of which town he was a native. He was educated at the Auckland Grammar School and at St Patrick's College, Wellington. He was well known in sporting circles throughout the Waikato, having for a number of years occupied the position of secretary to the Hamilton Football Club and of the South Auckland Rugby Union. The Royal Humane Society's certificate and bronze medal were possessions of the deceased soldier, having been awarded in recognition of brave actions performed in peace time. Driver McGarrigle took up his residence in Australia some years ago and subsequently entered into business on his own account at Hornsby, Sydney. He leaves a widow who resides at Glebe, a suburb of Sydney. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

McPHEE, Rifleman James, killed in action, was the second son of Mr James McPhee, farmer, of Rakauroa and late of Puhoi. He was born in Gisborne and was 25 yrs of age. At the time of his enlistment he was following farming pursuits in the Otanui district, Taumarunui, and was the first settler from his district to leave for the front. He left NZ last November. A brother is at present engaged with the forces. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

MORPETH, Captain R N, who has been wounded, took part in the landing on the Gallipoli Peninsula last year and was wounded. His name was included in one of the first casualty lists issued in connection with that campaign. He was invalided home and returned to the front some months ago, having been promoted from the rank of lieutenant to that of captain. Captain Morpeth is a son of Mr H D Morpeth, town clerk of Waihi, and is 24 years of age. Prior to his departure on active service he was engaged as a teller in the Bank of NZ, Thames. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

MORPERTH, Captain Robert N, son of Mr H D Morpeth of Waihi, is in the 2nd London Hospital and has had his left leg amputated and is progressing satisfactorily. Previous official reports gave it that Captain Morpeth was seriously ill, suffering from shot wounds in both legs and thigh and shortly afterwards Captain Morpeth sent a cablegram saying that he was progressing favourably. Captain Morpeth, who was wounded at Gallipoli, shortly after the first landing of the colonial troops and who was invalided home, returned to the front and it was while taking part in the British offensive in France that he received the wounds which necessitated the amputation of his leg. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

MULHERN, Private Horace John of Northcote, who has been killed in action, was educated at the Kaukapakapa and Whangarei schools. He was a member of the Northcote Fire Brigade and a sergeant in the territorials and was employed at Mr P Carroll's store, at Northcote, at the time he enlisted. He was the eldest son of Mrs S Powell of Northcote, whose husband is now in camp. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

REYNOLDS, Corporal T G, who lost his left foot as the result of an accident on 13 June, is a son of Mr John Reynolds of the Government Tourist Bureau, Rotorua. He took part in the landing on Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 and was fighting on the peninsula for seven weeks until wounded by shrapnel. He was invalided home but immediately afterwards rejoined his regiment and was sent to the trenches in France. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

SEDDON BROTHERS News has been received from Lieut T Seddon, M P, and Lieut Stuart SEDDON, RHA, that they are well. Word was also received from Mrs WOOD (nee Miss Ruby SEDDON) that her husband, Fleet Surgeon WOOD, was transferred to HMS Zealandia as Fleet Surgeon and served in the Jutland battle. [AWN 13.07.1916] p.52

SMART, Lieutenant Albert R C, who has been wounded in France, is the son of Mr James Smart of Invercargill and grandson of the late Mr James Smart of Auckland. He was born at Winslow, Canterbury in 1894 and was educated at the District High School, Lumsden. He left Invercargill with the main body and was wounded at Gallipoli on 9 August 1915. After his campaign he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. [AWN 20.07.1916] p.21

SMITH, Private James, infantry details, formerly of E. Co., 15th Reinforcements, [died] at Featherston camp on Thursday morning by cutting his throat with a razor just before the 15th left on their march over the hill for Trentham. He had given no warning of his intention. He was about 30 years of age and came from the Auckland District. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.20

SNELL, Corporal E D, reported last week as having died from wounds, was 24 yrs of age in May last. He was born at Morrinsville and received his primary education at the public school there. He won a district scholarship and continued his studies at the Auckland Grammar School after which he joined the Civil Service and later on passed his matriculation and solicitor's general examinations. At the time he was accepted for military service he was studying for the law. He took a very keen interest in Sunday school and church work. Two brothers are now with the forces in France. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.21

STEWART, Private Luke Erroll, reported wounded, is a son of Mrs S Stewart, Grey Lynn. He was born at Papakura and is 25 yrs of age. Prior to enlisting he was engaged as a blacksmith at Cambridge and was well known as a footballer and pedestrian. He also figured as a swimmer and took an active part in many outdoor sports. Pte Stewart left NZ as a farrier last year. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

STEWART, Private Walter, son of Mr D Stewart of Nelson, was killed in action in France on 12 June. He was in Auckland at the outbreak of the war and was a member of the force which occupied Samoa. Returning to Auckland, he proceeded to Australia and again enlisted for active service. He was 34 years of age and a single man. Pte Stewart was a brother of Mr N Stewart of Messrs W Gunson & Co, and another brother is on active service. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

SURGENOR, Private, son of Mr Surgenor of Manaia, was captured by the Turks in the early part of the Gallipoli campaign. He is now a prisoner of war. [AWN 20.07.1916, p.18]

TAYLOR, Lieutenant F A, who is reported as having been wounded on 8 July, is a son of Mr F C Taylor of Herbert Rd, Mt Eden. He is well known in Auckland, having had a distinguished career at the Auckland University where he was graduated B.A. in 1912 and M.A. in 1913. He was also an Auckland nominee for the Rhodes scholarship. Prior to his enlistment Lieut Taylor was a member of the teaching staff of the Auckland Grammar School. He has been on active service since October and his two brothers William and Horace TAYLOR, are also members of the forces and cablegrams have been received from Lieut Taylor, who has been invalided to England, stating that his wounds are only slight and that he is progressing satisfactorily. [AWN 20.07.1916] P.52

TURNER, Captain John Lancelot Harcout, Royal NZ Artillery, has been killed in Flanders. He was a son of Lt Col C Harcourt Turner of Wellington who was second in command of the NZEF to Samoa and who has since been in charge of the German prison camp at Motuihi, Auckland. He was 25 years of age and was educated at Wellington College. For a short time Captain Turner was in the Bank of NSW but left to join the RNZ Artillery. He was sent to England for training and his course of instruction was nearly finished when war broke out and he went at once to the western front. He was in the retreat from Mons and the subsequent operations and was mentioned in despatches in June last. He was awarded the Military Cross and was personally invested by the King at Buckingham Palace in January. He was then sent to Egypt to join the NZA, to which he belonged. Captain Turner later returned to the western front with his regiment. Until his death he not only escaped being wounded but never had a day's illness. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.21

WAGENER, Lance Corporal Wilfred Ernest, reported wounded, is the youngest son of Mr E Wagener of Houhora. He is 23 years of age and was born in Maldon, Victoria. He came to NZ in his very early years and was educated in the Dominion. At the time of his enlistment he was engaged in the Ohaupo district. He left NZ a few months ago. [AWN 27.07.1916] P.32

WILSON, Sergeant Major D, has been seriously wounded in the thigh and ankle. He is a brother of Mr C A Wilson of Auckland and he was at one time a member of the clerical staff of the Auckland Electric Tramways Company. He was in Canada when war broke out and he enlisted there as a private, subsequently being promoted to his present position. He was wounded and suffered gas poisoning in the fight at Loos and also took part in the fighting at Hill 60 in September of last year. [AWN 13.07.1916] P.49

WYMAN, Major Ralph, D.S.O. who is reported wounded and dangerously ill, is the second son of Mr W H Wyman of Avondale South. He left NZ with the main body of the Expeditionary Force with the rank of Captain. He was wounded at Gallipoli in the left arm and was admitted to the Ghezireh Hospital, Cairo. For his services on the peninsula he was promoted to the rank of major and was awarded the DSO. Major Wyman was at one time employed on the Auckland staff of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Co and resigned to join the Eighth Contingent that took part in the South African war. He took part in the operations in Transvaal and Cape Colony. He was awarded the Queen's medal with two clasps. After his return from South Africa he was engaged in farming at Razorback, Pokeno and later removed to Otorohanga, leaving his property there to join the Expeditionary Force. Major Wyman has always taken a keen interest in military affairs and under the volunteer regime was captain of the Pukekohe Mounted Rifles. His work during the visit to NZ of the late Earl Kitchener was given special commendation. Major Wyman has unusual qualifications and holds a certificate of proficiency in gun laying. [AWN 06.07.1916] P.20

Return To HOME