Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


ACLAND, Lieut Colonel H T D, CMG, of Christchurch, who returned as principal medical officer on the troopship Ruahine, saw active service in South Africa during the Boer War. When the European war broke out he was practicing in Christchurch. He left for England in March 1915 but while on his way was appointed to No.1 NZ Hospital and served in Egypt for some time. He then proceeded to Salonika in the Marquette, which was torpedoed on the voyage. From Salonika, after considerable service, he returned to Egypt and ultimately accompanied the NZ Forces to France. He was sent to England as consulting surgeon to the Expeditionary Forces and was then appointed president of the NZ Medical Board in London. He was honoured by the King in 1917. Colonel Acland devoted a great deal of attention while in England to the needs of limbless men and acquired a great deal of knowledge on the subject of artificial limbs. He is regarded as one of the best informed medical men on this question in the army and it is thought that his services will be secured by the Government for the work of improving the lot of our own disabled men. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

ALDRED, Captain B F, NZMC, and Captain S SCOULAR, NZMC, were both acting as house surgeons at the Wellington Hospital before leaving for the front over two years ago. During the German advance at Baillieul in April of last year, they were attached to the No.1 NZ Stationary Hospital at Wisgues. It is estimated that the admissions to the hospital while the battle lasted averaged 700 per day. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

ALLEN, Lance Corporal A L, son of Mr & Mrs E Allen, Cambridge, has been awarded the Military Medal. He served with the No.1 Machine-gun Section, 11th Reinforcements. He was wounded two years ago. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.23

ASHBY, Sergeant Albert, youngest son of Mr A Ashby, Te Kopuru, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field of action. He left NZ with the 7th Reinforcements and has been wounded three times. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.23

BASSETT, Lieutenant Cyril R G, V.C., was the first New Zealander to win the highest military decoration in the great war. The London Gazette of 15 October, 1915, which announced the award, ‘for most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty on the Chunuk Bair Ridge in the Gallipoli Peninsula, on 7 August 1915’ contained the following: "After the NZ Infantry Brigade had attacked and established itself on the ridge, Corporal Bassett, in full daylight and under a continuous and heavy fire, succeeded in laying a telephone line from the old position to the new one on Chunuk Bair. He has subsequently been brought to notice for further excellent and most gallant work connected with the repair of telephone lines by day and night under heavy fire." Lieut Bassett, who was then a corporal, left with the Main Body in the Divisional Signal Co. and he was one of those who made the historic landing. He served there through the long hot months of the summer of 1915, when war was waged constantly at close quarters. Early in August was commenced the great attempt to secure the Chunuk Bair Ridge, which dominated the Narrows and during the terrible fighting that ensued he won his proud laurels. Later he was evacuated sick but soon recovered and went with the NZ Division to France where he was twice wounded, the first time in October 1917 and the second time in April of this year. It was during his service in France that he received his commission. Lieut Bassett received his medal from the hands of the King, a guard of honour, composed of New Zealanders at Hornechurch camp, marching with him to Buckingham Palace. The distinguished young soldier, who is now 25 years of age, is a son of Mr F C Bassett of Burleigh Street. He was educated at the Grafton school and the Auckland Grammar School, afterwards joining the staff of the Newmarket branch of the National Bank. In 1909 he joined the College Rifles and served as a territorial until his enlistment. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.17 & 29

BEASLEY, Lieutenant T H N of Wellington, is a pressman. For some years before joining the NZEF he was attached to the literary staff of the Dominion, Wellington. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

BUCHANAN, Private G H, son of Mr J G Buchanan, Garden Tce, Devonport, has been awarded the Military Medal. He left NZ with the 21st Reinforcements. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.23

CALDWELL, Flight Major K L, DFC, MC, has been awarded a Bar to his Distinguished Flying Cross. He commands the 74th Squadron which during the last five months established a record by destroying 200 German machines with only 11 casualties. He is the son of Mr D R Caldwell of the firm Macky Logan Caldwell Ltd, Wellington and Auckland. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.47

CAMPBELL, Private N — There were many maimed men on board the transport Ruahine which arrived in Auckland on Monday. The worst case is that of Private Campbell who has returned blind. He lost his sight in the first battle of the Somme in September 1916 and since then has been a patient at St Dunstan’s Hospital for the Blind where he received training in massage. His wife, who accompanies him, was a nurse at St Dunstan’s. Private Campbell’s father was for many years manager of Mitchelson’s timbermills. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

COOPER, Sergeant George B, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field, left NZ in April 1916 with the 11th Reinforcements and proceeded to Egypt thence to France where he was attached to the Canterbury Infantry Battalion. He was wounded in the first Somme battle in September 1916. On recovering he joined the 12th Nelson Co. in May 1917 and has since been continuously on active service, taking part in some very heavy fighting. He is the youngest son of Mr W H Cooper of Leslie Ave, Morningside, and prior to enlistment he was farming at Wakanui, Canterbury. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.16

CROXSON, Corporal William V O, of the 14th Company, 2nd Otago Regt, who died from influenza on 22 December 1918, at a military hospital in London, was the eldest son of Mr Robert Croxson of Mangere. He left with the 10th Reinforcements and was wounded three times, the last occasion being at the end of September last. He was born at Onehunga 24 years ago and educated at the Mangere school. After leaving school he assisted his father, dairy farming at Mangere. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.19

CUNNINGHAM, Lieut Colonel, W H, DSO, of Wellington, who commanded the troops on the troopship Ruahine which returned to Auckland on Monday, left NZ as a Major with the Main Body, attached to the 7th Wellington-West Coast Regt and was at the landing. He was wounded on Gallipoli and invalided to England. He later went to Egypt, where he was given command of the 2nd, Wellington, Battalion. He went to France with the division in April 1916 and remained until ten days before the signing of the armistice. He was mentioned several times in despatches and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in 1916. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

DICKINSON, Private Cecil T, aged 20, is the son of T Dickinson, Williamson St, Epsom, has been awarded the Military Medal. He was educated at Remuera and Newmarket schools. He served with the NZ Division in France until 24 October 1918 when he was wounded and invalided to England. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.23

DONALDSON, Sergeant Major A of Wellington is a well known NZ representative Rugby player. He has seen much service in the performance of which he was wounded twice, the second time in September last, two days before he was to sit for a commission. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

DUNCAN, Lieutenant A T, of Lower Hutt, Wellington, was one of the best known amateur runners over short distances before leaving for the front. Unfortunately he was severely wounded in the leg in December 1917 and this will prevent him from returning to the running track. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

FINDLAY, Major J W and Captain J I FINDLAY, sons of Sir John Findlay, MP for Hawkes Bay, who have been on active service, returned to NZ on furlough by the Niagara on Sunday. They were accompanied by Lady Findlay. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.22

FORBES, Captain Alexander McRae, Birkenhead, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is the only son of Mr & Mrs J McRae Forbes. He left NZ as a Second Lieutenant with the 8th Reinforcements, obtained his lieutenancy at the Somme and his captaincy about twelve months ago. He has been wounded once. He attended Birkdale public school and before enlisting was employed by J F Leighton & Son Ltd, High Street. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.23

GRACE, 2nd Lieutenant L W, of Wellington, was wounded at Rossignol Wood. He was at one time employed in the law office of Messrs Earl and Kent of Auckland. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

HANNAH, Major R W, DSO, MC, son of Mr R Hannah of Wellington, was among the officers who returned by the Marama on Monday. He went to Samoa with the first Expeditionary Force and later proceeded to England where he joined the Imperial Artillery. He was severely wounded in the leg about eighteen months ago and it will be some considerable time before he has completely recovered. He is classed as a ‘cot case’. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

HENNING, Mrs Gladys of Auckland, who has been in charge of the NZ Motor Transport Dept at Hornchurch for the past 20 months, returned to Auckland on Monday by the Ruahine. Mrs Henning left NZ at the same time as the 11th Reinforcements and worked in the British Red Cross hospitals at Suez and Cairo. She went to England in April 1917 and took up motor-driving at Hornchurch where she was placed in charge of the depot with a rank equivalent to that of second lieutenant. Her husband, Lieutenant W HENNING, MC, died of wounds received at Bapaume in September last. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

HINDLEY, F L, Captain (temporary Major) of Timaru, who has been awarded the OBE in the New Year Honours, left NZ as a trooper in the 8th, South Canterbury, squadron of the Canterbury Mounted Regt with the Main Body and won a commission on the field. He had previously held a commission in the senior cadets. He was thrice mentioned in despatches. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

HOLDSWORTH, Major F D — Among those who returned to Auckland on Monday on the Ruahine was Major Holdsworth, formerly chief postmaster at Auckland who, for the past three years has been in charge of the postal branch of the NZ Expeditionary Force in England. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

HUTCHINSON, Major G R, a member of the Auckland Harbour Board, is one of the senior officers of the draft which returned to Auckland on Monday by the Ruahine. He had the distinction of serving in France with his two sons, Captain G R HUTCHINSON and Private Norman HUTCHINSON. The latter also returned on the Ruahine. Major Hutchinson left with the 8th Reinforcements and has had over three years constant service, escaping wounds and sickness. He belongs to the Army Service Corps and when he left France he was senor supply officer to the NZ divisions. He has had a varied military career. He served in France until the battle of Passchendaele Ridge and was then sent to Palestine where he took part in the advance from Gaza. He remained there for about eight months, reaching Jericho. He was then returned to France. Major Hutchinson has aged with his service but he is in good health and he returned on duty. His son Norman left with the 29th Reinforcements specialists and served in the Machine-gun Corps, being gassed in Belgium in February last. Captain G R HUTCHINSON, who is supply officer to the second brigade, is still with the division in Germany. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

JENNINGS, W L K, Major, ASC, who has been awarded the DSO in the New Year Honours, is a son of Lieutenant Colonel E Jennings, NZMC, a Christchurch doctor who did good work during the recent epidemic in Auckland. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

LOVELOCK, Private F, son of Mr F Lovelock of Leamington Ave, Mt Eden, who has been awarded the Military Medal, left NZ with the 7th Reinforcements. He was wounded in July 1916 and after several months in hospital, returned to France. At last advice he was in hospital in France with a contused knee. His brother Daniel was invalided home in 1918 and his brothers George and John, fell in action in France. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.22

MANDERSON, Rifleman Percy, brother of Mrs W S Donaldson of Tangowahine, Northern Wairoa, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.23

McGAVIN, Colonel D J, DSO, Medical Corps, who has been awarded a CMG in the New Year Honours, prior to going on service, was one of the best known surgeons in practice in Wellington. His work with the military forces has enhanced his reputation. A Gazette notice of October 1917, announcing the award of the DSO stated: "To the thoroughness of the preparations of Colonel D J McGavin, NZMC, and his personal attention to the smallest details, was due the successful evacuation of the wounded during our recent offensive. At the time, he was acting as ADMS to his division and he went into the advanced area at great personal risk to encourage the stretcher bearers and superintend the removal of casualties, setting a splendid example to all ranks." [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

Marama — Decorated men returning with the draft: [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19 EARL, Capt F J R, MC, Waikanae HANNAH, Major R W, DSO, MC, Wellington MANAGH, 2nd Lieut S N, DCM McRAE, Lieut D, MM VAUSE, Lieut H, MC, Cambridge WYLLIE, Lieut L T, Hamilton, Croix de Guerre YORKE, Lieut W H, MC, Kaeo

MEANEY, Lance Corporal Anthony D, son of Mr Meaney, Waiwera, has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery on the field of action. He is 21 years of age. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.16

MILLIGAN, Major R G, who was recently awarded the Distinguished Service Order, is the third son of Mr & Mrs C E Milligan of Kaukapakapa. He was educated at the Remuera and Auckland Grammar Schools. Before enlistment he was a Lieutenant in the Garrison Artillery and left with the 5th Reinforcements. Prior to joining the NZEF he was a member of the staff of the NZ Mines Trust. His younger brother Sergeant Gordon MILLIGAN was killed in the early part of the Somme engagement. [AWN 23.01.1919] P.23

MURRAY, Colonel D N W, DSO, Medical Corps, who has been awarded a CMG in the New Year Honours, is a well known Auckland doctor. He joined the NZ Field Ambulance upon the outbreak of war and after serving in Egypt and participating in the action on the Suez Canal, was present at the landing at Anzac. He saw a great deal of service on Gallipoli and later, with the Division in France. He was awarded the DSO at the beginning of 1917. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

NARBEY, Major W F, has been awarded the Croix de Guerre for conspicuous gallantry. He was formerly farming at Eltham, Taranaki, and left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force as Lieutenant. He served at Gallipoli and later in Messines in 1917 where he was wounded. He was gassed in March 1918 and wounded again in August 1918. He was promoted to Captain after the first Somme battle in 1916 and to Major after the battle at Messines. For some time he has been acting as Colonel of his Regiment. His wife resides in Great North Road, Grey Lynn. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.22

NICHOLAS, Private H J, V.C. An account of the death and burial of Private Henry Jones NICHOLAS, VC, has been received by Mrs Nicholas of St Albans from the Rev G T Robertson, chaplain to the First Canterbury Battalion. "It was during our great advance on the night of 23 October" states the chaplain "that your son fell in action while gallantly holding a very important bridgehead. He was killed instantly by German machine-gun bullets. Two days later we laid his body to rest in the French cemetery at Beaudignies, where he fell. This had to be done at the time. On account of the great danger due to shellfire, it was impossible to gather a number of men together and also because the battalion was likely to move at any moment. But when it was found later we were to come out, and as the battalion wished to show its great respect to its Victoria Cross hero, I had his body exhumed and brought down to the village of Vertignuel, where he was buried with full military honours in the church-yard of that village and by the Bishop of Nelson, Dr Sadlier. All the 1st Canterbury Battalion were present, also Brigadier General Young, the C.O., Major Stitt, Captain Johnson, O.C. 12th Company and two 12th Company sergeants were the pall-bearers and at the conclusion of the service the firing party, which consisted of men of your son’s company, fired the volley and then the bugler sounded the ‘Last Post’. It was an impressive ceremony and thus was laid to rest one of the heroes of the NZ Division. It is not for me to write of his gallantry, his daring, his pluck, his dauntless spirit. I leave that for a far more able man but I think his two decorations speak for themselves." [AWN 23.01.1919] P.19

OLIPHANT, Lieutenant J, MC, of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers, was a passenger by the Niagara from Vancouver on Sunday. He left NZ with the rank of Sergeant with the Main Body of the NZEF but shortly after arrival in Egypt he obtained his commission in the Imperial Forces with which he saw service on the Gallipoli Peninsula and in France. He is the son of Peter Oliphant of Auckland. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.22

O’NEILL, Colonel Eugene J, who has received the decoration of a Companion of St Michael and St George was born in Dunedin in 1875. He graduated from Otago University in 1902 and went to South Africa as Surgeon Captain to the Sixth Contingent. At the close of that war he went Home to further his studies and then returned to his native city. He at once joined up with the Main Body at the outbreak of the present war and went to Gallipoli with the rank of Major. He served right through the campaign at Gallipoli and gained the DSO and was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. After the evacuation he went to Egypt with the New Zealanders and proceeded to France with the Field Ambulance. He was then transferred to a stationary hospital in France to take command and in 1918 was appointed to take charge of the Walton on Thames Hospital. In that year he was promoted to Colonel. He has been twice mentioned in despatches. [AWN 16.01.1919] P.45

PARKER, F W, Major, ASC, who has been awarded the OBE in the New Year Honours, joined the Main Body of the NZEF with the 12th, Nelson, Company of the Canterbury Battalion but was ill with scarlet fever while in camp at Sockburn and eventually left NZ with the second reinforcements. He was then a lieutenant. In Egypt he was transferred to the Army Service Corps and with that unit did good work on Gallipoli. Subsequently he was appointed officer commanding the Headquarters company of the corps. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

PAULING, Lieutenant F W, of Christchurch, is severely wounded. A piece of shrapnel penetrated the spine, as a result of which he is paralysed. He is classed as a ‘cot case’. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

PHILLIPS, Corporal Robert, eldest son of Mr F W Phillips of Greenwoods Corner, Epsom, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action. He was born at Aratapu and educated at the Onehunga school and Auckland Grammar School. Prior to enlisting he was employed by the Chief Telegraphic Engineers Office. He left NZ with the 11th Reinforcements and was attached to the Otago Infantry Battalion and took part in the first battle of the Somme in 1916. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.16

RIDDIFORD, R E W, Captain, MC, who has been made an officer of the Order of the British Empire, held before the war, a commission in the 9th, Wellington East Coast, Mounted Rifles. He was appointed to a commission in the Wellington Regt, NZEF, in December 1914. Later he was appointed ADC to the General Officer Commanding the NZ Division. He was twice mentioned in despatches and was awarded the Military Cross. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

ROBINSON, Lieutenant C G H, eldest son of Mr G W Robinson, Wellington, has been awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in the field. He was one of the first to enlist for the Samoan Expedition. He returned to NZ in March 1915 and later joined the 15th Reinforcements but, studying for his commission, his departure to France was postponed and left with the 19th Reinforcements in November 1916. He attended St Johns College, Auckland and the Grammar School. He came to Wellington with his parents in 1906 and in 1907 joined Dalgety & Co. Ltd where he was employed when he enlisted. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.19

SCOULAR - See ALDRED [AWN 30.01.1919]

SHEPHERD, N F, Lieutenant Colonel, who has been awarded the DSO in the New Year Honours, is a Nelson officer who joined the Main Expeditionary Force as a lieutenant in the 13th, North Canterbury and Westland, Company of the Canterbury Battalion. Subsequently he was transferred to the Auckland Regt and was for some time officer commanding the fourth, reserve, battalion of that regiment. He has been mentioned in despatches. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

SHERA, Major L M, Engineers, who has been awarded the OBE in the New Year Honours, left NZ with the Main Body as captain in command of the Field Troop, NZ Engineers. He is a native of Auckland and third son of the late Mr J M Shera who was one of the representatives of Auckland City in the House of Representatives from 1890 to 1893. Major Shera was for many years on the staff of the Public Works Dept but shortly before joining the Expeditionary Force was transferred to the Public Health Dept. A deep interest in military matters has always been manifested by Major Shera. He joined the College Rifles, Auckland, in 1897 as a private. He served in the Boer War as a lieutenant and gained the King’s Medal with three clasps. Upon his return to NZ he rejoined his old company with the rank of senior lieutenant. About 12 years ago he was appointed captain of the No.3 Auckland Co. of NZ Field Engineers of which he retained command up to the time he joined the Expeditionary Force. Besides gaining his majority with the NZ Forces, Major Shera has been several times mentioned in despatches. His work in connection with the August advance on Gallipoli in 1915 received special mention by Sir Ian Hamilton, who warmly praised the gallantry of Major Shera and his engineers in clearing away barbed wire entanglements left untouched by the bombardment. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

SOMMERVILLE, Major C, NZFA, who has been awarded the DSO in the New Year Honours, was formerly on the Wellington staff of Dalgety & Co. Ltd, but was farming in Hawkes Bay when the war broke out. He left NZ as a captain, commanding the Wellington Squadron of Mounted Rifles in the 5th Reinforcements and saw service on Gallipoli. On returning to Egypt he was transferred to the artillery in the garrison territorial establishment of which he had held a commission. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

STIRLING, Private N D, son of Mr M Stirling of Leigh, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry on the field of action in France. He left NZ with the 24th Reinforcements. [AWN 16.01.1919] P.45

STOREY, Rifleman Thomas H, who died of pneumonia in England, was the son of Mr Charles Storey of Whatipu. He was born at Huia and completed his education at the Whangarei High School. Subsequently he joined the Railway Dept in the northern town and when he enlisted was stationed at Wanganui. At the outset of the war he went with the 15th North Auckland Co. to garrison the wireless station at Awanui. The late soldier’s brother, Trooper E G STOREY, was recently wounded in Palestine. [AWN 02.01.1919] P.19

STORKEY — Among the passengers from Sydney aboard the Niagara on Saturday was Lieutenant Percy V STORKEY, V.C., who has been serving with the Australians. He is on his way to Napier where his mother and father, Mr & Mrs J S Storkey, live. He is aged 26 and was educated at the Napier main school and Napier High School. In 1912 he went to Australia and while studying law was employed as a Clerk in the University of Sydney. He left for the front in 1915 and was one of the famous Australian 5th Brigade so aptly described as the ‘Fighting Fifth’. During his long service he has been seriously wounded and has been specially mentioned in despatches. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.16

STRONG, Rifleman A E, son of Mrs S E W Strong, Beresford St, Auckland, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery in action. He left NZ with the 23rd Reinforcements. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.23

TAITON, 2nd Lieutenant L E of Nelson, left NZ with an infantry regiment, but later joined the machine-gunners. Subsequently he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps and saw service in Palestine from where he was invalided. He is visiting the Dominion on furlough. [AWN 30.01.1919] P.19

WILSON, Major Newman R, who was among the recipients of the DSO in the New Year Honours List, is the son of Mr Robert L Wilson of Waimate South. He left as a 2nd Lieutenant with an early reinforcement draft and has had a distinguished military career. He soon gained his majority and is the holder of both the Military Medal and Military Cross, and has been wounded five times. His elder brother, Sergeant E D WILSON, was killed at Suvla Bay and his second brother, George H WILSON, who was severely wounded at Gallipoli, has been retained in England in surgical instrument repairs and manufacturing works. [AWN 16.01.1919] P.45

WILSON, Major R A, who has been awarded the DSO in the New Year Honours, is a son of Sir James Wilson, president of the Board of Agriculture and chairman of the NZ Farmers’ Distributing Co. He received a commission in the Royal Artillery in September 1916 and was promoted major after eight months active service. He was twice mentioned in despatches and twice wounded and is now in London, convalescent after his last wound. [AWN 09.01.1919] P.18

Return To HOME