Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


BEATTIE, Sergeant J N, who was recently awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, is the eldest son of Mr & Mrs George Beattie, 24 Bond St, Sydney, late of Bellevue Rd, Mt Eden, and an old boy of Auckland Grammar School. Before the war he was on the staff of the Auckland Branch of the Bank of NSW. He went with the Advance Guard to Samoa and on his return he joined the Rifle Brigade. He subsequently saw service in Egypt, taking part in operations against the Senussi. Owing to injuries received during the Somme fight he has recently been an inmate of the NZ hospital at Walton on Thames. A younger brother is presently serving in France. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.56

BERRY - Four son of Mr T C Berry of Ohingaiti have left for the Front. The first, W C BERRY, went in the 5th reinforcements. He was wounded at Gallipoli, a bullet passing through his arm. After his recovery he went back to Gallipoli and was there for some weeks. He left Gallipoli at the evacuation and was in Egypt for some time where he met two of his brothers, Bert BERRY, who went in the 7th reinforcements and Maurice BERRY (signaller) who went with the 9th reinforcements. These three have been in France since the troops were sent from Egypt and they were in the 22-days fight in the Somme battle. Bert was three times buried by shells and once had to be dug out. He suffered from concussion and had other very narrow escapes but came through safely. Maurice was slightly gassed in the same battle but Wallace came through without a scratch. Wilfred BERRY, the fourth son, left with the 19th Reinforcements. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.17

BISHOP, Captain John — Mrs Bishop of Francis St, Grey Lynn, has received the following cablegram from Captain MAGNAY at Sling camp, England, of the NZ Rifle Brigade, in reference to her husband Captain John Bishop: "Hospital reports husband’s condition fairly good, outlook hopeful". This is the only intimation that her husband is in hospital that Mrs Bishop has received. The Defence Dept states that it has had no official intimation that Captain Bishop is sick or wounded. Before going to the front he was a staff officer attached to the headquarters of the Wellington military district at Palmerston North. [AWN 18.01.1917] p.18

BOLES, Sergeant Major, born 1888, fourth son of John Boles of Tararu, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was a miner at Thames and in business with his brother as grocers at Te Kuiti. He joined the Rifle Brigade in the early days and left NZ as a Sergeant. Shortly after arriving in France he was appointed bomb instructor. He was promoted to Sergeant Major in November last and recommended for a commission. His brother Joseph enlisted later and left NZ as a Sergeant Major and is now serving in France in the Rifle Brigade. [AWN 22.02.1917] p.18 Also 03.05.1917, p.19

BOLLARD, Private John Henry Allen, previously reported missing, has been killed in action in France on 25 September 1916. He volunteered for active service in May 1915 when he joined the Canterbury Battalion. After serving on Gallipoli he was invalided to England from where he later rejoined his regiment and died in the battle of the Somme. He was the elder son of William Allen Bollard of Dunedin and grandson of the late Mr John Bollard, MP and the late Henry SANKEY. He was brought up by his aunt, Miss Bollard, and was educated at the Avondale Public School and King’s College. Before the war he followed farming pursuits. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.18

BOLTON, Private John, 31st Battn, Australian Imperial Force, son of Mr Chas Bolton, Wellington, is interned in the prisoners’ camp at Munster, Westphalia, suffering from rheumatism and heart trouble. The Australian Red Cross Society is sending him comforts. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

BOWRON, Lieutenant Henry Allan, killed in action, aged 26, was the second son of Mr George Bowron of Bowron Bros. Tanneries, Christchurch. He farmed at Waimate and Whangarei, from where he enlisted as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Mounted Rifles. He was very fond of hunting. A younger brother Lieutenant S Bowron was recently invalided home from the Front with the loss of an eye and another brother Sgt Major C Bowron, is at present in France. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.18

BRAIN, Flight Lieutenant L Norman, son of Mr T H Brain of Onehunga, has died from wounds on 23 October. He left Onehunga last year and went to England where he enlisted in the air service. For some time he was acting as a motor transport driver and later on he was promoted to observation work. When he was wounded he had charge of a machine gun on an aeroplane, which was in combat with a German machine. Lt Brain was well known in Onehunga and previous to his enlistment was engaged in motor work. [AWN 18.01.1917] p.18

BRAITHWAITE, 2nd Lieutenant J L, Engineers, of Hastings, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Showed great gallantry on several occasions in repairing the lines destroyed by hostile fire. He set a splendid example throughout the operations." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

BREMNER, Captain D E, Infantry, of Drury, has been awarded the Military Cross for ‘leading his company with great courage and skill, although wounded and he re-organised and consolidated the position. He set a splendid example to his men.’ [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

BROWN, Corporal A W who has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, is the fourth son of Mr D Brown of Wanganui, who has four sons on active service. He enlisted at Greymouth and went away with the main body to Gallipoli where he was wounded. He rejoined his unit and went to France. Before enlistment he was on the Post Office staff at Wanganui and was well known in football and cricket circles. [AWN 11.01.1917] P.32

BROWN, Lance Corporal U, of the London Scottish, a Wanganui boy, who was reported missing in August and was later ascertained to be a prisoner in Germany, was the first NZ prisoner of war to apply for facilities for study under the British Prisoners of War Book scheme. A Spanish grammar has been sent him in accordance with his request. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

CAFFERY, Private Michael J — Reported believed killed in action in France. He was one of four sons of Mrs Mary Caffery of Melford St, Ponsonby, who have enlisted for service. He came to Auckland from Mangaia, Cook Islands, in order to volunteer. He was reported missing in September and is now believed to have been killed. Another brother, Private Robert CAFFERY, left with the Main Body, saw the Gallipoli campaign through in safety and later went to France. He was engaged as a bomb thrower in the battle of Armentieres early in July, was reported missing, and later reported to be a prisoner of war at Giessen, Germany. Another brother, Joseph, accompanied Michael and by latest advice, received two months ago, was in the firing line and well. A younger brother, Donald, is now in camp in Australia, only one son, a lad of 16, being left at home. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

CARRAN, Private James, Otago Battn, whose mother lives near Riverton, is interned in the Festunga Lazarette, Karthaussegasse 77, Cologne. He was wounded at the time he was captured. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

CHAYTOR, Brigadier General E W C, C.B., C.M.G., of the NZ Staff Corps, is officer commanding the NZ Mounted Rifles Brigade which is incorporated in the Anzac mounted division which has so greatly distinguished itself in the fighting east of the Suez Canal. General Chaytor is a New Zealander by birth, being the son of Mr J C Chaytor of Marshlands, Marlborough. He became identified with the Marlborough Mounted Rifles and was appointed captain in 1892. He served in the South African War from 1900 to 1902, being in charge of the 3rd NZ Contingent from May 19 to May 26, 1900, when he was severely wounded and in command of the 2nd Regiment, 8th NZ Contingent, from March 1902. He was mentioned in despatches and was awarded the Queen’s Medal with three clasps and the King’s Medal with two clasps. Upon his return from the war he filled the position of assistant-adjutant general to the NZ Defence Forces and later went to England, where he passed the staff college course at Camberley. In December 1910 he was appointed officer in command of the Wellington military district, with headquarters at Palmerston North, a position which he held until 16 July 1914, when he was appointed adjutant-general to the NZ Defence Forces. On the outbreak of the present war he was appointed assistant adjutant-general of the NZEF and proceeded with it in that capacity to the front. During the early months on Gallipoli, Col Chaytor was severely wounded. He was invalided to England and after making a good recovery returned to his post, visiting the western front en route in December 1915. He received the command of the NZ Mounted Rifles Brigade, with the rank of brigadier-general. He was again wounded some months ago. General Chaytor has already been created a C.B. for his service during the present war. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

CLARKE, Corporal S J of Masterton, who was lately reported as having been wounded on 16 November, is one of four brothers at the Front. He is well known in the cycling world of NZ, having at the age of 19 won the Timaru-Christchurch road race and the Mount Egmont road race and since then many path events. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.52]

CLAUSEN, Sergeant Neils, formerly of Te Aroha, has been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery in the recent fighting in the Somme. He is at present in Bristol Hospital, wounded in the leg. This is the third time he has been wounded. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.48

CLOSEY, 2nd Lieutenant S J E, Rifle Brigade, of Otorohanga, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Assumed command of and led his company with great courage and initiative, capturing and consolidating the position. He set a splendid example to his men." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

COOPER, 2nd Lieutenant A C, Infantry, of Waihi, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Led his platoon with great courage and initiative. Later, although wounded, he remained at his post. Previously he captured an enemy machine-gun himself." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

CRANE - Mrs A M Crane, Beresford St, Auckland, has four sons now either in the firing line or on the way - Frank S G CRANE, the youngest of 7 brothers, a private in the AIB, at the Somme; Frederick William CRANE, the eldest, joined the AIB during the Somme offensive; Bert and Charles CRANE, are in camp; George James CRANE, the sixth son, is en route to England with reinforcements. Bert and George have left wives who are resident in Auckland. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.19

CUNNINGHAM, Lieut Colonel, W H, of the 7th, Wellington and West Coast, Regiment, commands a battalion of the Wellington Regiment at the front. He left NZ as a major in the Main Body force. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

DAGG, Lieutenant — The following letter has been received by Mrs R E Dagg of Remuera from Lt Col C H BROWN, Officer Commanding the 2nd, Auckland, Battalion, in connection with the death of her son. "Please permit me to extend to you my most sincere and heartfelt sympathy on the death of your son Lieutenant Dagg. He was killed in action on 15 September 1916 while leading his men in the attack on the German trenches. I first came to know your son as a non-commissioned officer when I joined the Battalion three months ago. He was later promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and proved himself a most painstaking and efficient officer. He was brave beyond words and held the highest esteem and confidence of his men. It is difficult to write these few lines as I realise how very severe the blow must be to you. I can only say that he gave his life while gallantly doing his duty to his King and country — a brave officer and a true soldier whom we sadly miss. Your son’s body was buried near the village of Fleur on the Somme; the exact location will be made known to you by the authorities. In consequence, please accept the most sincere sympathy of every officer and man in the Battalion on your sad bereavement." [AWN 04.01.1917] p.17

DINNEEN, Captain J D, Auckland — The circumstances in which he met his death on the battlefield are related in a number of letters received last week by his mother, Mrs M D Dinneen of Manukau Rd, Remuera, from fellow officers and others who were near him at the last. Captain Dinneen had a brilliant educational career in Auckland as a scholarship holder at the Grammar School and the University College and finally he gained a nomination for one of the NZ Rhodes scholarships. Then he became a member of the staff of the Grammar School, where he was also a captain of the school cadets up to the time when he left NZ. Lieut Col PLUGGE, commander of the First, Auckland, Infantry Battalion of the NZEF, writes: "Captain Dinneen was wounded on 27 September. He was gallantly leading his company to the attack on Gird Trench and, although he was twice wounded in the arm by machine gun fire, he went on, but a shell burst close to him, fracturing his thigh and a fragment striking him in the chest. We were not able to get him in attempting it, but one of his men got out to the shell hole with food and drink and covered him up. I saw him when they got him in and immediately arranged for a change of stretcher bearers. He was quite cheerful and only wanted something to drink. My doctor told me afterwards that he had hopes that his fine constitution would pull him through but it turned out that he had been hit by a phosphorus shell." In expressing his sympathy with the family in their bereavement, Col Plugge adds: "He was a splendid company officer, beloved by his men and absolutely devoid of all fear. I miss him not only as an officer but as an old personal friend and, though I was responsible for his joining the NZEF, I do not regret it and I don’t think that he would." Private F WATSON of the 16th, Waikato, Company says: "On September 27 we made an attack. It took place in four waves. Captain Dinneen should have gone over with the third wave but, being such a keen and brave man, he went with the first wave. We topped the parapet at 2.15 pm, Captain Dinneen in the lead, a pistol in either hand. I was near hi m right up to the time he fell. About half way between our trenches and the Hun barbed wire, a shell burst alongside him. The last I saw of him he was sitting in a shell hole and he did not appear to be in any agony. I was wounded myself the same night but one of our boys told me they got Captain Dinneen to a dressing station where he died on 1 October. He was absolutely the bravest and coolest man I have met. He was strict and conscientious but we all loved him as a gallant office and man. I have never come across an officer who did so much for his men. He was with us heart and soul and we with him. It was a common saying among us on the way to the Somme that if ‘Jimmy Dinneen’ came through he would get the DSO or a decoration of some sort. He was too good and brave a man to last — it is always the best that go young." [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

DOBSON, Captain Donald, M.C., is the fourth son of the late Robert Dobson of Napier and a nephew of Mr A Dudley Dobson, city surveyor, Christchurch. He had just completed his articles with Messrs Harper Son & Pascoe of Christchurch, when war broke out and he left with the main body. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

DORE, Chaplain-Captain Father One of the most interesting reunions of Anzac men was that which was held at the Albert Hotel on Tuesday, when returned members of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, to the number of about sixty, assembled to do honour to Chaplain-Captain DORE, who is so well known to all Auckland troops and particularly to the members of the AMR, as ‘Father Dore’. Chaplain-Captain Dore was one of the chaplains of the NZ Mounted Brigade, main body, and was attached to the AMR. He went to Gallipoli with the brigade in May 1915, about a fortnight after the landing and remained there until the middle of August. Captain DORE at all times showed a keen devotion to duty and was awarded the Military Cross for the great gallantry that he displayed. Whilst rescuing wounded soldiers, he himself was badly wounded at Chunuk Bair. Major Ralph W WYMAN, DSO, presided over the reunion of the survivors who shared the hardships of those memorable weeks on Gallipoli, in which the AMR took such an honourable part. In proposing the toast of ‘Father DORE’ he described their guest as ‘one of the finest and whitest men who had left NZ for the front’ ‘Father Dore’, he said, was not only a chaplain and priest; he was a padre to all — the friend, guide and counselor of men, not only of the Catholic Communion, but of all denominations. He recounted many instances in which their chaplain, at the greatest personal danger, had assisted wounded soldiers. On behalf of the returned members of the main body of the AMR, he presented Captain Dore with a fine case of pipes, in a silver box, bearing a suitable inscription. Major Wyman’s remarks received the hearty endorsement of all present and their sentiments found further active expression in the rousing ovation accorded to Captain Dore when the latter made his reply. He thanked them all for their present, and said that he was proud to wear the bade of one of the AMR squadrons, which, he said, had been carried to the forefront of the battle, right to the shell torn crest of Chunuk Bair. He made a touching reference to the men of the regiment who had fallen at Anzac and who had been buried by him. The other toasts included ‘The Imperials and Allied Forces’ proposed by Mr A G Lunn and responded to by Captain J A WALLINGFORD, MC, and ‘The AMR’ proposed by Captain BECK and replied to by Mr C G NICOL, lately sergeant in the Third AMR. Appreciative reference was made by various speakers to the honour of DSO, which had been conferred upon Lt Col C E R MACKESY and that of MC, which had been bestowed upon Captain Fred WOOD, both of whom had so prominently been associated with the AM. [AWN 11.01.1917] P.52

FABLING, George, H Company, 22nd Reinforcements, body found in the Esk River, Hawkes Bay, where it had evidently been several weeks, being in a decomposted state. An inquest was opened by adjourned to January 27. [AWN 25.01.1917, p.20]

FINDLAY, Lieut Colonel John, DSO, commanding the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, left with the main body. He was severely wounded on Gallipoli in August 1915. Col Findlay, who is a farmer near Ashburton, saw much service in the South African war and wears the Queen’s Medal, with five clasps. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

FLEMING, Gunner — Amongst the wounded soldiers who arrived at Auckland by Monday’s Main Trunk Express train, was Gunner Fleming, NZFA, who gained the Military Medal for conspicuous conduct in France. Gnr Fleming, of Devonport, left NZ with the Main Body. After serving 6 ½ months on Gallipoli he was transferred to France and was there for two months. "….One afternoon our Unit was in the vicinity of Armentierres where the German artillery had been particularly active and our guns were engaged in driving off enemy aeroplanes. The Germans shelled our positions all the afternoon in the hope of destroying the anti aircraft guns and during the bombardment the signal lines of communication with headquarters were destroyed. It was imperative that communication should be made and no skilled engineers being available, I was one who volunteered for the work. Shells were still falling thickly and It was during a very short period that my services were of avail for a shell nearly ended my career. As it was I was rendered unconscious being wounded in the arm, hip, shoulder and back. I was 3 ½ months in hospital at Newcastle on Tyne and two months in Hornchurch. While in England I received notice of having been awarded the Military Medal and I am proud of the honour conferred on me….." He says his right arm is quite helpless and it is doubtful if it will be of service to him in the future. He was most enthusiastic in his praise of the treatment received in the hospital and of the devoted attention of the nursing staff. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.56

GAFFNEY, Private T, Wellington Battn, is a prisoner of war at Hadji-Kari. In a postcard he states that four out of six men were suffering from fever. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

GARLAND, 2nd Lieutenant H G de F, Infantry, of Hamilton, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Kept the Brigade continuously supplied with munitions and stores under very heavy fire. He set a splendid example to his men throughout. He had previously done very fine work." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

GRAY, 2nd Lieutenant W A, Rifle Brigade, of Mt Eden, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Assumed command of his company and led it with great courage and determination, capturing the position and re-organising his line. He set a splendid example to his men." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

GARLICK, Private William, late of Taneatua, who died on pneumonia in the Godfrey Hospital, England, was 28 years of age and the eldest of four brothers who enlisted. Thomas and Richard GARLICK went away with the Main Body, both were at Gallipoli and were invalided to England with enteric. Richard returned to Auckland but Thomas, who is still suffering from rheumatism, is at Hornchurch. James GARLICK has been serving with a machine-gun section on the Somme since last May. William GARLICK, deceased, did not get away until comparatively recently, arriving in England only four weeks prior to his death. His previous military training was in the Whakatane Mounted Rifles. He was a fine horseman and rough-rider. He always followed farming work. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.17

GAWN, Trooper Thomas George, reported wounded on 12 December 1916, is the youngest son of Mrs Julia Gawn, Victoria St, Auckland, and the late Mr Frank Gawn of South Dunedin. He and his brother Charles GAWN enlisted at the outbreak of war and served in the original Samoan Expeditionary Force for twelve months. On return to NZ they again volunteered with the two other brothers. Thomas GAWN was the first to be wounded. These soldiers are the grandsons of the late Sgt James KENNEDY who was under arms for the extremely lengthy period of 44 years. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.22

GLASTONBURY, Private A C, NZ Rifle Brigade, late of Ohingaiti, who died of gastritis in the Codford Hospital, England, was 34 years of age and was the eldest of four brothers who enlisted. Frank (then Corporal but advanced to Sergeant) went with the main body and being wounded at Gallipoli, was sent to England. On recovery he eventually arrived in France where he fell in a night raid on the enemy trenches on 14 July 1916. Len went with the 2nd Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and Will with the Canterbury Infantry. The two latter are now in France after being in Egypt for a while. Mrs A G Glastonbury (nee LECKS) has six brothers enlisted, three of whom have fallen, two on Gallipoli, the other in France, the same time as Frank GLASTONBURY. Another came safely through the ‘great push’ of September 15 last in France, two more are in the 21st and 22nd reinforcements respectively. The seventh brother has endeavoured to enlist more than once but was rejected for eyesight and the other, though willing to follow his brothers’ example is under age. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

GUNN, Private Geo., Wellington Battn, is a prisoner of war at Bilemedic Posanti in Asia Minor and is suffering from rheumatism. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

GUTTERIDGE, 2nd Lieutenant R Howard, previously reported missing on 1 October 1916, was killed by shell fire on that date. He is the son of Mr R Gutteridge of the Colonial Sugar Refining Co. staff. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.18

HARDING, Lieutenant Maurice A, killed in action on 24 December 1916, was the son of the late Mr Arthur Harding, Ashhurst and has relations in Auckland and Dargaville. He was presumably killed in the El Arish engagement. He was well known in Palmerston North and surrounding districts where he enjoyed much popularity. He was a keen footballer and captain of the team for which jerseys were recently despatched from Palmerston. [AWN 04.01.1917] p.18

HARLEY, Captain H S, Infantry, of Nelson, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Handled his men with great courage and skill under very trying circumstances. Later during an enemy attack he himself bombed the enemy from the open." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

HARRISON, 2nd Lieutenant W G, Rifle Brigade, of Christchurch, has been awarded the Military Cross: "With twenty men established a strong-post near the enemy trenches under very heavy fire, thereby assisting greatly in maintaining the line at a critical time." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

HELMORE, 2nd Lieutenant Ernest Craswell, Sherwood Forresters, died of wounds in France on 1 January 1917. He was the younger son of Mr George Helmore of Fendalton, Christchurch. He was educated at Christ’s College. Shortly before the outbreak of war he went Home and passed through Sandhurst. It was only recently that he left for the Front. His brother is ADC to Lord Liverpool. [AWN 11.01.1917] P.21

HOUCHEN, Rev Clement, NZ Chaplain Dept, of Te Kuiti, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Attended and dressed the wounded under very heavy fire with great courage and determination. He set a splendid example throughout the operations." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

HUTCHISON Three sons of the late Mr Alen Hutchison of Arthur St, Onehunga, are on active service. Privates W W & H F A Hutchison are both serving with the Rifle Brigade in France. Sapper T M HUTCHISON is with the wireless troop. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

KAY, Major W, one of the senior masters of the Beresford Street school, while serving with the NZ Rifle Brigade, was wounded on 9 November and admitted to a French hospital on 12 November. After remaining there for five days he was sent across the Channel and placed in a hospital in Chelsea. It was found that he was suffering from shell shock and that the drum of his left ear was fractured. A cable message received by Mrs Kay announces that her husband was admitted to the Brockenhurst Hospital on 29 December suffering from deafness. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.51

KIRKWOOD — Four sons of Mrs Kirkwood of Turama Rd, Onehunga, have responded to the call of King and country. The youngest, Private R G KIRKWOOD, served with the first Expeditionary Force in Samoa and was discharged after nine months’ service. Private W J KIRKWOOD enlisted with the reinforcements and is now somewhere in France. Sub-Lieutenant R A KIRKWOOD, the eldest son and Sub-Lieutenant M S KIRKWOOD have been accepted for the Motor-boat Patrol Service. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

LIVESAY, Sergeant Major Charles and six sons, five of whom have given their lives, are serving King and country. Although 64 he was one of the first in NZ to volunteer for active service. He went to Egypt with the first battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and afterwards was drafted to France. He has taken part in the Somme fighting and was recently in London on leave. He was formerly Sergeant-Major in the Scots Guards and his service includes the Mashona Rebellion, Matabele War, Boer War and the Zulu Rebellion. Thirty years ago he was in the employ of The Times as commissionaire and afterwards Came to NZ to take up sheep farming. His six sons, who were in England at the outbreak of the war, all became soldiers and five were killed in the early months. The sixth, who has taken his commission, expects to go to the front shortly. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.52]

MACKESY, Lieut Colonel C E R, D.S.O., commands the Auckland Mounted Rifles, which forms part of the Anzac mounted division which has given so good an account of itself in the recent action at El Arish, east of the Suez Canal. He belongs to Whangarei. Previous to the outbreak of war he commanded the 11th, North Auckland, Mounted Rifles. When the Main Body was mobilized he, despite his years, immediately offered his services, along with two of his sons, Major MACKESY and the late Lieutenant MACKESY, who was killed on Gallipoli. He was appointed to the command of the Auckland Mounted Rifles and was responsible for its training at Epsom and in Egypt. On Gallipoli he was in command when the regiment held Walker’s Ridge in the face of a strong Turkish attack on the night of May 18, 1915, showing a fine example of courage to his men. During the attack he was in the fire trench and when the Turks broke at dawn did some sniping from a most exposed point of vantage just before the trench. Later he returned to Egypt in charge of mounted details. After the evacuation he again took command of his regiment and has led it during the months spent on the desert frontier. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

MAYNE, Private Ronald Henry, a returned soldier aged 36 years, has died at the Auckland Public Hospital. He was a native of the United States. He left NZ with the 5th Reinforcements and was shot through the lungs on Gallipoli. He was invalided to England and while at Brockenhurst Hospital married an English girl who is still in England. He returned to NZ by the Willochra last September and received his discharge some time ago. [AWN 18.01.1917, p.20]

McGILP, Major Clyde, whose parents reside at Birkenhead, is an Aucklander. He was in the service of the Post & Telegraph Dept prior to the war and was connected with the ‘A’ Battery territorials with the rank of major. He went to the front with the artillery with the rank of captain and gained his majority on active service. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

MELDRUM — Among those included in the list of NZ soldiers who have been awarded military decorations is Lieut Colonel William MELDRUM, DSO, officer commanding the Wellington Mounted Rifles Regt6. He is the eldest surviving son of Mr Alexander Lewis Meldrum of East Kincaple, St Andrews, Scotland, and was born at Kamo on 28 July 1865. He was educated at Clifton Bank school, St Andrews, the Kamo school, the Auckland Grammar School and the Auckland University College. He entered the law office of Messrs Whitaker and Russell in Auckland in 1884. He passed the barrister’s law examination in 188 and subsequently practiced law at Thames and Hunterville, retiring from practice in 1912. From 1912 to August 1914, he was engaged in farming at Hunterville and Waipukurau. He has always taken an active interest in sports. In the eighties he represented Auckland in cricket and football. In 1896 he won the chess championship of NZ. For six years he was chairman of the Hunterville Town Board. He unsuccessfully contested the Rangitikei seat at the by-election in 1909 and at the general election in 1911. He has taken an active interest in volunteering since 1900, when he was instrumental in founding the Hunterville Mounted Rifles, serving as lieutenant under Captain J Le Dore. He succeeded to the captaincy in 1903, was promoted major in 2920 and lieut colonel in command of the 6th, Manawatu, Mounted Rifles in May 1914l He proceeded to the front with the Main Body as officer commanding the Wellington Mounted Rifles Regt and served throughout the Gallipoli campaign. He has already been created a CMG. He is an active Freemason and is a Past Grant Swordbearer of the Grand Lodge of NZ. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

MORPETH, Captain Robert Nicol, is a son of Mr H D Morpeth, town clerk of Waihi. He is 24 years of age and single and before enlisting was a bank teller in the Bank of NZ, Thames. Capt Morpeth, then Second Lieutenant, was wounded on 25 April 1915, and invalided home. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

MURRAY, Lieut Colonel D N W, of the NZ Medical Corps, is a well known Auckland doctor. He joined the NZ Field Ambulance upon the outbreak of war and after serving for four months in Egypt, where he was with the NZ Infantry at the first attack on the Suez Canal, went to Gallipoli with the section of the force which made the Anzac landing. On Gallipoli he saw a great deal of service and gained a high reputation among the men of the force for his devotion to duty in the hospital stations in the shell torn beach, where he and the rest of the medical staff were constantly exposed to the fire of the Turkish batteries situated at Ana Farta and the Olive Grove. He went to France with the NZ Division and wounded men who have returned having nothing but praise for Lieut Col Murray, who has now seen much more than the average amount of service. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

ORBELL, Captain R G S, Medical Corps, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Attended the wounded under heavy fire with great courage and determination. On one occasion he carried two wounded men on his horse to a place of safety." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

PARFITT - Three members of the Parfitt family of Onehunga are in uniform. Private A H PARFITT enlisted in an early reinforcement, served at Gallipoli — where he was twice wounded — and is now in France. Private R G PARFITT has been in France for more than 12 months and so far has gone through the campaign scathless. The third brother, Private L C PARFITT, is a member of a draft now on the water. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

POOLE, Private H J, Canterbury Battn, is a prisoner of war in No.12 Compound Hospital I Parshim Meiklenberg Schwerin. He was reported on 15 September as being killed. His mother lives in Tasmania. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

POW, Major James, DSO, saw service in the Boer war. He was a teacher in the Southland Boys’ High School, which position he relinquished in 1912 to join the teaching staff of the Otago Boys’ High School. He was in charge of the High School Cadets, holding the rank of captain. He went to Trentham at the close of 1914 and his services as instructor proved so valuable that he was retained there until June of the following year when he left Wellington in the Rifle Brigade. Only a few months ago he was promoted to the rank of major. He was wounded on September 27. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

QUICK, Austin, son of the late Mr W H Quick of Wellington, has been killed in action. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.24

RAWHITI, Private H — Although Pte Rawhiti, who has just been awarded a Bar to his Military Medal, which he won some time ago, he belongs nominally to the Pioneer Battalion, it was in Field Ambulance that he distinguished himself on both occasions. During the great attack on Gallipoli in August 1915 he carried down at least a dozen wounded men from the NZ machine-guns to the dressing station before he was disabled by injuring his back. He is still acting as a stretcher bearer and his new decoration is for a similar exhibition of coolness in France. [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

REED, Lieutenant Mervyn Rankin of the Auckland Mounted Rifles, who is amongst the officers wounded during the operations on the Egyptian frontier on Tuesday last, is a son of Mr J R Reed, K.C., of Auckland. His injuries are officially reported as consisting of a compound fracture of the left arm and a shrapnel wound in the back. The wounds are described as serious but Lt Reed is reported to be progressing satisfactorily. The following cablegram was received from him yesterday — "Left arm broken; feeling splendid". Lt Reed, who is 21 yrs of age, is an old King’s College boy. He left with one of the early reinforcements about eighteen months ago with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant and has been in Egypt ever since. He has held commission rank for the past four years, his first commission being granted when he left King’s College. He was afterwards attached as lieutenant to the Dilworth Institute Cadets under Colonel PLUGGE. He transferred to the Auckland Mounted Rifles on 6 August 1914, two days after the outbreak of war. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

RESTON — The three sons of Mr & Mrs S J Reston of Sunnyvale Rd, Remuera, have all enlisted and one, the eldest, has made the supreme sacrifice. Bombardier George Robert RESTON was killed in action in France on 5 October aged 34. He was born in Timaru and educated at Lyttelton. At the age Of 15 he came to Auckland with his parents and commenced farming at Whangarata where he remained until war broke out. He joined the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force as a driver in the artillery. After being in Egypt for four months he was sent to Gallipoli. Owing to the horses not being required he was sent back to Alexandria where he remained for four months, during which time he was quartermaster-sergeant’s clerk. He subsequently went to France as gunner and had plenty of fighting until he met his death. In France he met his younger brother, Roland, who went with an early rein-forcement draft and who has since been awarded the Military Medal and two stripes. The third and youngest son, Oscar Glen RESTON, went into camp with the 23rd Reinforcements. Eleven first cousins of the Reston family have joined the colours. Two have been killed in action, one died at sea and one was severely wounded. At present there are four at the front and three in camp. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

RICKUS - An excellent record of war service is held by Mr J Rickus, a Maori living at Temuka, who has five sons and four grandsons serving in the NZ forces. Of the sons, Private W T RICKUS and Private S P RICKUS left with the Maori force whilst Private S RICKUS and Private T P RICKUS left with the separate European reinforcements and Bugler J M RICKUS is now on final leave and leaves with the next Maori reinforcements. Mr Rickus’ four grandsons left from the North Island. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.18]

RUSSELL, Major General Sir Andrew Hamilton, KCMB, Cantby Batt, is General Commanding the NZ Division in France. He was born at Napier in 1868 and is the son of the late Captain Hamilton Russell of the 58th Regiment. He was educated at Harrow and Sandhurst. In 1887 he joined a Border regiment as second lieutenant and served for five years on foreign service. In 1892 he came to NZ to join his father who was then farming at Flaxmere in partnership with his brother, Sir William Russell. Later he managed his father’s property when it was divided and until he subdivided the estate, he conducted one of the finest farms in the neighbourhood. In 1900 the Hawkes Bay Mounted Rifles was formed and he was elected to the command, a position he held until he was promoted major of the Wellington Mounted Brigade. Later he became lieutenant colonel which rank he held at the outbreak of war. On his services being accepted, he was appointed colonel in command of the Mounted Rifles Brigade of the Main Body of the NZEF. Shortly after landing at Gallipoli he was promoted to brigadier general. For his services on Gallipoli he was given a knighthood and on the creation of the NZ Division in Egypt, was appointed to the command with the rank of Major General. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

SAVAGE - Five brothers of a well known Thames family have established a good record as a fighting family. Trooper Valentine Le (sic) SAVAGE, who enlisted in an early reinforcements draft, was invalided home some time ago. Lieutenant Charles SAVAGE of the 2nd Maori Contingent, was the next to go to the Front. Sergeant Major Samuel SAVAGE, who enlisted in Australia, was killed at Gallipoli. Corporal Thomas SAVAGE, who was a member of the Main NZ Body, was wounded at Gallipoli and came back to NZ. He has since enlisted again and is now in France. The fifth soldier from the family is Private Ben SAVAGE who enlisted recently. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.17

SAXBY, Major C G, on the reserve of officers, is an officer of the NZ Pioneer Battalion, having transferred from the Auckland Mounted Rifles. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

SEDDON, 2nd Lieutenant S T, Infantry, of Mt Eden, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Organised and led bombing parties with great courage and determination thereby greatly assisting in holding the trench against determined enemy attacks. He set a splendid example throughout." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

SIMMERS, Sgt R, has been awarded a Bar to his Military Medal, along with 9 New Zealanders who have also been awarded the Military Medal. [AWN 11.01.1917] P.23

SMYTHE, Major Rayner Barrington, DSO, is the son of a well known Christchurch resident. He saw service in the South African War, after which he underwent a course of training in England. After 18 months at Chatham he returned to NZ and was appointed to the Auckland Defence Staff. From there he went to India and on his return to NZ was appointed to the Defence Staff at Dunedin. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

SOFFE, Private George, son of Mr J N Soffe of Waitara, left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force and served at Gallipoli for four months when he was wounded and invalided home to NZ. On recovery from his injuries he rejoined the front as a member of a machine-gun section. Lance Corporal William SOFFE left NZ with a reinforcement draft and was wounded in the advance on the Somme in September last. Private John SOFFE sailed later but was in time to take part in the great offensive in which he also suffered a wound. The fourth brother, Samuel SOFFE, volunteered last year. After spending two months in camp he was obliged to return to his home on account of illness. He is, however, again in khaki and will leave NZ shortly. There remains a fifth son, who is also anxious to take his turn in the ranks but has not yet reached the required age. [AWN 11.01.1917, p.52]

STANCLIFFE, Private Thomas, aged 31, reported died of wounds, is the second son of Mr & Mrs J R Stancliffe of Rangihua, Hokianga. He was born in Auckland. He was a member of the Main Body and went through the fighting in Egypt and Gallipoli before going to France. Prior to enlistment he resided at Dargaville. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.18

UNDERWOOD - Out of five sons of Mr William Underwood of Paparoa who have gone to the Front, three have now been heard of through the casualty lists. Percy UNDERWOOD died of wounds last October; Fred UNDERWOOD, was dangerously wounded at Gallipoli but recovered and was sent home and discharged as unfit for further service. Twice since then he has sought to re-enlist but has been rejected. Now Arthur UNDERWOOD has been sent from the Front to a hospital in England, dangerously ill. Arthur (sic) and Herbert UNDERWOOD, the remaining brothers, are still, as far as is known, in the firing line. Ernest UNDERWOOD, cousin of the five brothers, who was a member of their household, left NZ with the Main Body and has been wounded three times, on the last occasion seriously. [AWN 25.01.1917] P.32

UPTON, 2nd Lieutenant F C R, Infantry, of Ashburton, has been awarded the Military Cross: "Led his platoon with great courage and initiative and organised a bombing party to repel an enemy attack. Later he carried out a most valuable reconnaissance." [AWN 11.01.1917] P.17

VICKERY, Sergeant Major E M, who is well known in Auckland, is one of the non-commissioned officers who were loaned by the Imperial authorities to the NZ Government in connection with the inauguration of the territorial military training scheme a few years ago. Prior to coming to NZ he was connected with the Royal Engineers for 13 years. Before the war he was attached for some time to the Auckland district headquarters staff as instructor in field telegraph and telephone work. He left for the front with the signal section and served on Gallipoli some time before being invalided to England. He is a native of London and comes of a family of fighters. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.51

WOOD, Captain D L, aged 24, son of C Wood, Christchurch, has been wounded during the recent fighting at El Arish. He was born at Kaikoura and educated at Christ’s College and Bedford Grammar School, England. He subsequently attended Lincoln College where he secured diplomas. Before the outbreak of war he was Adjutant of the 1st, Canterbury, Mounted Rifles. When war broke out he was 800 miles from Brisbane in the back blocks of Queensland but he returned to NZ, leaving as a Lieutenant with the early reinforcements, Mounted Rifles Section. He served on Gallipoli until the evacuation, escaping injury. Most of the time he was with the Australians, his shooting skill being utilized in sniping. Later he served in Egypt and was in command of a squadron at the battle of El Romani in August last before being promoted Captain. [AWN 04.01.1917] P.18

WOODRUFFE, Corporal A, who is reported missing since November 14, was a native of Auckland and the eldest son of the late Sergeant Woodruffe of the Armed Constabulary. He served in the South African war, and was an old member of the A Battery. Corporal Woodruffe was a widower and leaves a little girl six years old. [AWN 18.01.1917] P.18

Return To HOME