Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


AVEY, Lieutenant E A, Rifle Brigade, has been awarded the Military Cross. He superintended the laying of a wire under heavy fire, maintaining communication and sending back valuable information continuously for two days. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

BEAMISH, Lieutenant Frederick N H, Warwickshire Regt, of Napier, has been awarded the Military Cross. He commanded two companies and reorganized them, consolidated and held the position under intense fire. He has previously done very fine work. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

BEAUMONT, Rifleman C, killed in action in France on 23 December 1916, aged 22, was the son of William Beaumont, farmer, Whangarei. He previously served two years in the 11th, Mounted Rifles. He was a keen tennis player and recognised as a good rifle shot. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.21

BELL, Sub Lieutenant St Lawrence, eldest son of Mr C W Bell, Rangiora, has been killed in action in the recent naval engagement. He was 23 years of age and was educated at the Rangiora High School. He left NZ as a private with an early reinforcement. News of his transfer to the Royal Navy with promotion to the rank of sub-lieutenant was received early in the month. Before leaving he was apprenticed to the Union Steam Ship Co. and received a course of training on the company’s training ship and became third officer on the steamer Waipori. He was invalided from Gallipoli to London, suffering from dysentery. Subsequently he returned to Egypt and afterwards to France. While on furlough from France he sat for his mate’s certificate. Being successful, he offered his services to the Admiralty and obtained his commission in the Navy. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.20

BIGGER, Matthew James, B. Co., 22nd Reinforcements, was found dead near Trentham Military Camp on Friday. He was believed to have been strangled. His father, Matthew Bigger, lives at Kaponga. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.21

BONGARD, Lieutenant J R, Rifle Brigade, has been awarded the Military Cross. He led a small party against an enemy battery, killing a gun team and damaging a gun. He set a splendid example through-out the operation. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

BRAIDFORD, Private John, A. Co., 25th Reinforcements, was found unconscious in a boarding-house in Wellington on Friday. He died a few minutes later. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.21

BRIGHT, Private William George, son of George Bright, Stanley Street, Archhill, was mentioned in despatches in reference to the operations on the Somme and has since been awarded the Military Medal. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.22

CARPENTER, Trooper Richard E, third son of J H M Carpenter of Remuera, was awarded the Military Medal for bravery at the Hohenzollern Redoubt, France. He is an old boy of King’s College. He was in Canada when war broke out and went to England and joined the British forces. His younger brother, Bernard CARPENTER, left NZ with the Main Body of the Expeditionary Force and has been in France for some time. [AWN 15.02.1917] P.21

CHALMERS, Quartermaster Sergeant H R N, son of Mr J L Chalmers, Oaklands Rd, Mt Eden, has been sent to Oxford for four months for further training with a view to taking up a commission which has been assigned to him. Prior to his enlistment in February last year, he was on the staff of the Bank of NZ in Tauranga, Fiji and Auckland. He was senior boy of his year at St John’s College and also captain of the college football team. While in camp in NZ he rose from the ranks to be Sergeant and on the field he won promotion to Quartermaster Sergeant besides his present step to commissioned rank. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.23

CHANDLER, Rifleman Frederick J, reported killed in action, was a native of Sydney and was educated at Brighton, England, where he served an apprenticeship to the drapery and millinery business. In his younger days he was fond of sport, travel and adventure and has been many years in the United States, Canada and Australia. He came to NZ in the s.s. Wairarapa in the trip which preceded her wreck at Great Barrier. He served in the South African war as a member of the City Imperial Volunteers. For the last 10 years he had lived in the Glenfield district where he served on the School Committee and took a keen interest in local affairs. He leaves a widow and three children. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.31

An unusual instance of father and son serving together in the NZEF is given in the case of Privates Augustus CLEMENT and Frederick CLEMENT, of Christchurch. The son, Pte Frederick Clement, left NZ in December 1914 and went to Egypt and but for a bad attack of pneumonia would no doubt have been in the landing on Gallipoli. The father left in August 1915 and was at the evacuation of Gallipoli. It was three months before they met, at midnight, in camp in Egypt. Together they left for France in May last as drivers in the NZ Army Service Corps and except for a few weeks’ the son had in Wimmereux Hospital in France, have been together ever since. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.22

The Victoria Cross presented to Mrs M E COOKE at Government House, Wellington, was awarded to her husband Private Thos. COOKE, 8th Battalion, Australian Imperial Forces. From the London Gazette of 8 September 1916 — ‘For most conspicuous gallantry. After a Lewis gun had been disabled he was ordered to take his gun and gun team to a dangerous part of the line. Here he did fine work but came under very heavy fire with the result that finally he was the only man left. He still stuck to his post and continued to fire his gun. When assistance was sent he was found dead beside his gun. He set a splendid example of determination and devotion to duty.’ Private Cooke, aged 35, was a native of New Zealand and resided for many years in Wellington where he worked as a builder. About six years ago he went to Australia, being employed there until he left with the Australian Forces. He is survived by his widow and three children. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.21

CROSS, Trooper Albert John, Auckland Mounted Rifles, killed in action at El Arish, Egypt, on 7 January 1916, was the third son of Mr E J Cross of Dairy Flat. He and a brother were in business in Auckland prior to his enlistment. A younger brother, Ernest CROSS, is on active service. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.20

CURRY, Rifleman Oliver J — A memorial to the late Rifleman Curry, youngest son of Mr & Mrs Curry of Otahuhu, who fell in the Somme advance on 29 September, has been placed in Holy Trinity Church, Otahuhu. The unveiling ceremony took place on Sunday morning, the Rev H Mason delivering an impressive address. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.23

DOVE, Lieutenant W W, aged 22, is the son of Mr J C Dove of St Stephens Ave, Parnell. At the outbreak of war he immediately volunteered and was sent to Samoa as a signaller with a force that occupied that enemy colony. Returning to the Dominion he received a commission in the Fourth Battalion of the NZ Rifle Brigade and proceeded to the front where he saw service on the Somme. In October last he was given the rank of temporary Captain and made second in command of his company. Lieut Dove is the fourth King’s College old boy to obtain the Military Cross. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.23

FALLWELL, Rifleman Ivan Trevor, only son of A G Fallwell of Tauranga and grandson of the late Rev T Norrie of Papakura, has recently been wounded in action in France. Born in Papakura 23 years ago, he was educated at the State school there. He joined the teaching staff of the Auckland Education Board and at the time of enlistment was in charge of the Katikati No.1 school. He was for some time in Egypt before proceeding to France, taking part in the Somme offensive. He was a representative ¾ back in the Tauranga Rugby Union team and a hockey player. He is a powerful summer and while in France won a 60yrd swim race in which 43 competitors took part. He is progressing favourably at the 25th General Hospital, Hardelot. [AWN 15.02.1917] P.51

GALLOWAY, Lieutenant Malcolm S, Wellington Regt, has been awarded the Military Cross. He organised a party and captured an enemy trench which was holding up the advance. Later, he consolidated his position and held it until reinforcements arrived. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

HALLY, Lieutenant Colin, Auckland Regt, has been awarded the Military Cross. He organised and led a successful raid on the enemy’s trenches, displaying great courage and determination throughout. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

HARGEST, Lieutenant James, Otago Regt, has been awarded the Military Cross. He organised and led a bombing party, thereby driving the enemy back and securing his left flank. Later he organised the defence of the position with great skill at a critical time. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

HELLABY, Captain F A, has been awarded the Military Cross and promoted to Major. Aged 25, he is the son of the late Mr Richard Hellaby and brother of Mrs Frank BINNEY, Auckland. He attended Kings College and on the outbreak of war enlisted as a private in the King Edward’s Horse. He was granted a commission and attached to the 1st Devons; he took part in the battle on Hill 60 and was promoted to Captain. His mother is presently in England. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.23

HIRST, Trooper Ernest P I, son of Mr S L Hirst, Hamilton Road, received a gunshot wound in the neck on 11 January in one of the recent engagements with the Turks and that he is now in the 24th Stationary Hospital at El Kantara, Egypt. Tpr Hirst, who is an old King’s College boy, has already been mentioned in despatches. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.20

HOWARTH, Karl Feibling, son of T B Howarth, Auckland, was admitted to NZ Hospital Brockenhurst on 31 January 1917, with severe gunshot wound in the chest. He was previously employed with the South British Ins Co. office at Calcutta and was in Auckland on holiday when he enlisted. [AWN 15.02.1917] P.51

HYNES, Private A L (Barney), killed in action at the Battle of the Somme, was the second son of Mrs E M Hynes, Mt Eden. He was educated at Mt Eden School and Marist Brothers College, and later employed by Messrs John Court Ltd. He was the first of the JCL men and also of St Benedict’s Club Old Boys to lose his life in the field. He took an active part in cricket and tennis. [AWN 15.02.1917] P.51

JOHNSON, Captain William Howard, Field Artillery, has been awarded the Military Cross. He assumed command of and handled his battery with great courage and determination, keeping his guns in action under heavy fire. He had previously assisted in extinguishing a fire at great personal risk. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

KELLAND — Advice has been received by Mrs M J Kelland of Taumarunui of the death at the front of her third son, J B KELLAND, one of three brothers who went to the front. He was a good all round sport and a crack horseman and also showed ability as a boxer. In this department of sport he won two championships in Auckland and he was the Taumarunui representative at the NZ championship meetings. He took a keen interest in football. At his medical examination subsequent to enlisting, he is said to have been considered the most physically fit and perfect man to volunteer from Taumarunui. His two brothers, W J and R C KELLAND are in the mounted forces. The three brothers were partners in a business at Taumarunui which they sold in order to volunteer for the front. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.20

KEYS, Sapper Percy Leonard, son of Mr B H Keys, late Superintendent of the Telegraph Dept. at Dunedin, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in France. He fought through Gallipoli campaign and left with the NZ forces for France where he has been ever since. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.31

KNOX, Sergeant Major Robert J, Otago Regt (sic) has been awarded the Military Cross. He showed great courage and initiative during the consolidation of the position. Later he led a charge with great gallantry. He has previously done fine work. [AWN 08.02.17, p.19]

LEWIN, Corporal Charles, of Auckland, who enlisted shortly after the outbreak of war has been wounded on three occasions. On 15 August he fell in a charge at Gallipoli and received a second wound as he endeavoured to crawl back to the shelter of the trenches. After being invalided to England he returned to Egypt and was with the Main Body of New Zealanders when it went on from there to France. In the engagements on the Somme he was wounded in the leg but apparently returned to the fighting line quickly, for his name appeared in a more recent list of wounded. He is also reported as having received the Military Medal. Before enlistment he was employed as a steward on the Northern Steamship Co’s, vessels. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.20

LYES, Trooper Harry Campbell, son of Mr & Mrs A Lyes, 12 Newton Rd, Ponsonby, has been wounded in both thighs. He was born in Auckland 28 years ago and was educated at Paeroa. After leaving school he went to sea, at the time of his enlistment occupying the position of Chief Saloon Waiter of the steamer Rarawai. Tpr Lyes, who was previously wounded on Hill 60 was, when he met with his latest mishap, a member of the Camel Corps. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.20

MAWSON, Lieut Joseph B, Machine-gun Co., has been awarded the Military Cross. He handled his machine-guns throughout the operations with great courage and determination, later taking part in a charge which routed the enemy. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

McCOY, Corporal William, aged 29, a member of the NZ Forces, died of spinal meningitis at Timaru Hospital on Friday. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.21

McNAMARA, Sergeant Henry Cecil, aged 22, previously reported wounded on 9 January 1917 and since reported died of wounds, was the second son of John McNamara of Ngawha, Bay of Islands. He was born at Raukawahi and educated at Ngawha. He drove the Kaitaia-Kaeo coach and was well known as an all round sport, being fullback for the North in football, cup winner at Mangonui for foot racing, and a good rifle shot. He was in the territorial force before joining the expedition force and won his stripes on the field in Egypt, becoming senior troupe sergeant of the Mounted Rifles. He enlisted with his two brothers, Private F D McNamara, wounded in the same charge, and Sergeant S A McNamara, a member of the Main Body. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.20

McQUEEN, Sergeant Allan A, has been awarded the Military Medal. He is the eldest son of Mrs McQueen of Maungatapere, Whangarei, and the late Mr Duncan McQueen. He left with the Main Body NZEF and, except for a short spell in hospital in Malta, he fought through the Gallipoli campaign. It is understood his decoration came as a result of his conduct in the Somme battle which he came through without injury. Lately he was admitted to a London hospital suffering from rheumatism. One of his brothers is now being trained at Trentham. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.18

MOORE, 2nd Lieutenant W E, solicitor of Auckland, has been awarded the Military Cross ‘for conspicuous courage and skill and splendid example’. He left Auckland for England about 12 months ago and gained a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery in which he is still serving. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.22

MULDOON, Staff Sergeant J H, son of J H Muldoon of Auckland, has been admitted to a convalescent depot suffering from a mild complaint. Prior to his enlistment he was connected with Messrs Kempthorne Prosser & Co, Auckland staff. His brother, Corporal W MULDOON, who left NZ with the main body, is now connected with the training staff at Salisbury Plains. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.20

MYERS — Mrs B A Myers of Alten Road, has received private advice of the death in Egypt of her husband who some time ago joined the NZ forces in that country. She had previously had news that her two sons, Riflemen J L MYERS and G L MYERS, had been wounded and that both are in hospital in England at the present time. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.20]

NAIRN, Private Hugh Jamieson, who has been missing since September 30, and is now believed to have been killed in action, was 28 years of age and a blacksmith by occupation. Before enlistment he was a member of Dargaville Rifle Club. He fought at Gallipoli for about a month before being invalided to England, afterwards rejoining his comrades in France. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.20

PALMER, Corporal D H, son of Mr D H Palmer, Mt Albert Road, is suffering from gunshot wounds to the face and was admitted to a hospital on 13 January. Corporal Palmer left NZ with the main body and was slightly wounded in the Gallipoli campaign. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.20

PRIOR, Captain Norman H, has been awarded the Military Cross. He went over the parapet and dressed a wounded man under intense fire, later working continuously among the wounded under fire, displaying great courage and determination. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

RICHARDS, Rev Robert, Chaplain’s Dept, has been awarded the Military Cross. He tended the wounded continuously for two days under very heavy fire, displaying great courage and determination. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

ROPE, Sergeant Charles M, Mounted Rifles, who has been reported as having died of wounds, was born at Te Kopuru, Northern Wairoa, 26 years ago. He was educating in the Kaipara and at the Teachers’ Training College in Auckland and qualified as a teacher. After service at Richmond Road School, he was appointed master of the school at Pukeatua, Waikato. Early in the war he enlisted and saw service in Egypt and Gallipoli. After being wounded in the leg on the Peninsula, he was sent to hospital in Malta. At the end of three months he rejoined his comrades with whom he fought until he met with his fatal wounds. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.31

ROSS, Driver Alex., Main Body NZ Field Artillery, is in Hornchurch convalescent camp recovering from severe malaria fever. He was in the line at Armentierres and was admitted to hospital in Calais, then three weeks later to Boulogne, thence to Walton on Thames and Hornchurch. He is the eldest son of Mr D M Ross, Dept of Agriculture, Hamilton. Mr Ross has another son on active service in France. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.21

SALMON, Sergeant Harry R — Particulars have been received by Mr A M Salmon of Ponsonby of the manner in which his nephew met his death in action last October. The commander of his battery writes that a direct hit was made by a German gun on a dugout in which Sgt Salmon and other members of his battery were sheltering and all were killed. The commanding officer paid a high tribute to the soldierly qualities of Sgt Salmon and states that on the day before the latter’s death, he had been recommended for the Victoria Cross. While he was in a gun pit with a detachment a shell struck a stack of ammunition behind the pit, causing a great explosion. A fragment set fire to the cartridges in the pit. After the half dazed men at hurried out, cries were heard and Sgt Salmon and Bombardier SYME went back and tried to re-enter the pit. They were driven from the back entrance by the flames but succeeded in entering at the front. They found a Gunner pinned under fallen debris and in danger of being burned to death. Despite the fact that the burning ammunition might explode at any moment, the two heroes remained in the burning pit until they had freed their comrade from his dire peril. Both Sgt Salmon and Bdr Syme were recommended for the greatest honour a soldier can win. The writer of the letter also states that previous to this gallant act, Sgt Salmon had been recommended for a commission. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.17

SLADER, Driver Edward, of the artillery, writing recently to his parents, stated that he was on leave in London, after having been in Walton-on-Thames Hospital suffering from bronchitis and having latterly been convalescent at Hornchurch. Driver Slader is the only son of Mr J Slader of Paeroa. He was nine months in France and had some exciting experiences on the Somme. Writing from the hospital, he said he could not speak highly enough of the ladies in England doing so much for the sick and wounded. Prior to enlisting Driver Slader was some years with Messrs Phillips & Impey. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.20

SYME, Bombardier — See entry for SALMON

VAVASOUR, Lieut Rollo, Royal Flying Corps, Imperial Forces, died on 16 January 1917. He was the son of Mr Henry Vavasour of Blenheim. [AWN 08.02.1917] P.56

WALL, Private Reuben, lately reported killed in action, was a native of Birmingham, 27 yrs of age, and arrived in NZ seven years ago. After gaining experience in dairying in the Thames district, he engaged in fruit-growing at Birkdale, but for two years before his enlistment he was employed at the Chelsea sugar works. He left NZ in the infantry in August 1916. His next of kin is not his mother as appeared from the official list, she having died nine years ago, but his brother, Mr Ernest Wall of Lucas Creek. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.20

WOODRUFFE, Trooper Arthur, the son of the late Sgt Woodruffe of the Auckland Police Force and Mrs Woodruffe of Waikumete, was killed in action in France. He was serving with the Australian Forces. [AWN 01.02.1917] P.21

WRIGHT, Private John D, son of Mrs M Wright of Te Rapa Rd, Hamilton, has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery during the Somme battle. He is aged 24, and farmed at Karamu near Hamilton. He was formerly a resident in Papakura. [AWN 22.02.1917] P.21

Return To HOME