Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


BARLOW, Sergeant H, D.C.M., 12th, Nelson, Co., Canterbury Battalion. This soldier left for Egypt with the main body in 1914 and was in the fighting which took place on the banks of the canal 12 months ago. On that occasion the Turks attacked fiercely and Pte W HAM, who was a member of the same company as Sgt Barlow, was the first New Zealander to lay down his life for the Empire in the war, he being fatally wounded in the Suez Canal skirmish just a year ago. After proceeding with his battalion to Cairo, Sgt Barlow went from there to the Dardanelles. It was a very brave individual act which earned for this non-commissioned officer the covered distinction of the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Whilst at Quinn's Post on June 21 and 22, 1915, the New Zealanders were much troubled by Turkish snipers who fired from a bomb-proof shelter 20 yds away. On his own initiative, Sgt Barlow - he was at the time a private - crawled over to the Turkish trench and demolished the shelter with bombs. It was a most heroic deed and was performed regardless of the danger. Other acts of gallantry were performed by him. On August 19 last, at the Apex, Sgt Barlow was wounded in the left eye and lost the sight of the eye as the result of a piece of shell striking him. He was then invalided to England. Before joining the forces he was working as a miner in the Nelson district. With the exception of a sister in the South Island, all his near relatives live in Manchester. Whilst in England he met Cpl BASSETT, V.C., and other soldiers whose deeds at Gallipoli have gained them renown. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

BARR, Driver Chas. L, reported to have died on the ambulance carrier Caledonia, was the youngest son of the late Mr Wm Barr of Kaikorai and Maheno, Otago, and brother of Mrs J CLARK, Lee St, Parnell. He left with the field artillery on the fifth reinforcements and was wounded on the torpedoed transport Marquette. After recovering from his wounds he proceeded to the front and further news reported him as having died on December 20, 1915. He was 39 years of age when he enlisted. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

London, February 3, 1916 At the Royal Investiture of the New Zealanders and other Gallipoli heroes today, the King pinned the V.C. on the breast of Corporal BASSETT of Auckland, shook his hand and paid a warm tribute to Australasian gallantry at ANZAC. The band escorted Cpl Bassett from the palace and crowds greeted him with great cheering. [AWN 17.02.1916] p.27

BOURKE, Pte Albert Donald, Canterbury Battalion, who was reported missing at the Dardanelles on April 28 and is now reported as having been killed in action, was a son of Mrs Mary Ann Bourk of Hutchison Street, Sydenham, Christchurch. He left NZ with the main body and was one of four brothers who took part in the early stages of the fighting at the Dardanelles. The other three are still on active service. A fifth son of Mrs Bourk returned to Christchurch recently from America and lost no time in enlisting. He passed his medical examination on Tuesday night. The late Pte BOURK was 20 yrs of age and was farming in the North Island when the call came for men for the main expeditionary force. To have given five sons to the colours is a distinction Mrs Bourk may well be proud of and very few similar cases are on record in NZ. [AWN 03.02.1916] P.53

BRERETON, Major C B, Canterbury Infantry Battalion. Wounded, returned by the Rotorua. He left the Dominion with the main body and was shot in the head on May 8 last in the defence of Krithia at Cape Helles. After being for some time at Alexandria, he was sent to England and was in the London Hospital for some time. Major Brereton was highly satisfied with the treatment he received whilst there. Referring to the position generally, he voiced the opinion that Germany had passed the high-water mark. The men throughout the strenuous times which they had at Gallipoli behaved splendidly. The discipline of the New Zealanders was excellent, particularly after the four months' training which they had in Egypt. The men, he said, were very disappointed when they heard of the withdrawal from Anzac and for a time could hardly credit the news. The fact that the evacuation had been accomplished without loss of life was considered as miraculous. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

BUTTERWORTH, Captain Hugh, 9th Battn, Rifle Brigade, formerly a master at Wanganui Collegiate School. Excerpts from remarks made by him in the Collegiate school magazine on his experience at the Front. [AWN 03.02.1916, p.75]

CLARK, Private Eric Hamilton, 14th Otago Infantry, aged 23 years, eldest son of Mr J Clark, Lee Street, Parnell. Previously reported missing, now believed to have been killed about May 1 or 2. He left NZ with the second reinforcements and was in training in Egypt for about three months. His last letter, saying he was leaving for the Dardanelles that night, was written on April 10, 1915. After that no word was received of or from him, until on June 13 a telegram arrived saying that he had been missing since May 1. In spite of all inquiries, nothing further was heard of him until official notice was received on February 2 reported him believed to have been killed. Previous to enlisting Pte Clark was engine-driver for Messrs Lamb & Dyson, contractors, Auckland. He passed his first engineer's examination on November 2, enlisted the same morning and left by the 8.50 pm express for Trentham that night. His two brothers are serving their country - Private Jack CLARK, who left NZ with the ninth reinforcements, and Percy CLARK, munition-worker, in the Woolwich Arsenal, London. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

COX, Private E W, son of Mr E B Cox, Roto-o-Rangi, was reported missing on 25 April. He is likely one of many who fell during severe fighting over rough country. [AWN 03.02.1916] P.21

DICK, Major Charles, Wellington Mounted Rifle Regiment. After being at Gallipoli for three months, he was wounded and returned by the Rotorua yesterday. He left with the main body of the Expeditionary Force. On the night of August 6, when the Suvla Bay landing was effected. Major Dick was wounded in the forearm. The men charged on this occasion with empty magazines and after a desperate bayonet attack, drove back to the Turks. He went to Alexandria and subsequently to England where an operation on his arm was successfully performed. Major Dick was also high in his praise of the behaviour of the men during the fighting. The people of England had been exceptionally good to both officers and men of the NZ and Australian forces. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

DROMGOOL, Trooper Charles, who was recently reported killed in action, was a son of Mr P Dromgool of Waiuku. At the outbreak of war he left for Samoa as a member of the expeditionary force. On his return he joined the Wellington Mounted Rifles, leaving for the front with the fourth reinforcement draft. Tpr Dromgool, who was 23 yrs of age, was born at Auckland and educated at the Auckland Grammar School. At the time of his enlistment he was a member of the staff of Messrs Earl & Kent, solicitors. He was a keen sportsman and a popular member of the Auckland Rowing Club. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

EARLES, Corporal, wounded, prisoner in Turkey, one of the few survivors of the attack on Sari Bair in August. He says he is well and that the ‘New Zealand lads would like some money sent from Mr Massey & Mr Allen (Minister of Defence)’. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.19

GOLD, Private Robert - The Richmond Baptist Church was crowded on Sunday evening, the occasion being a memorial service to Pte Gold, who lost his life at Gallipoli. The preacher, the Rev James INGS, based his sermon on the test 'Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted'. The service was a very impressive one. There was a scout parade under Scoutmaster CROW. The choir, under the leadership of Mr E PATTERSON, sang the anthem 'Lead, Kindly Light'. The late Pte Robert Gold had been an earnest worker in the church, of which he was an officer. The pulpit of the church was draped with the Union Jack. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

GRIFFITHS, Lieutenant Graham, died at Somalia after being thrown from his horse and sustaining a fracture of the skull. He left NZ with the 8th Reinforcements, then holding the rank of Corporal. He was a Blenheim borough councillor and a member of the firm Griffiths Bros. and a very popular resident. [AWN 17.02.1916] p.56

HARDHAM, Captain W J, V.C., Wellington Mounted Rifles. It was most unfortunate that owing to an abscess caused by wounds he had received necessitating his removal to a hospital at Hobart, he was unable to be welcomed as one of the returned soldiers on the Rotorua yesterday. It was understood from a cablegram received yesterday that he was operated upon successfully. Capt HARDHAM earned his V.C. in South Africa during the Boer War under the following circumstances: On January 28, 1901, near Naauwpoort, when, as a non-commissioned officer, he was with a section which was extended and hotly engaged with a party of about 20 Boers. Just before the force commenced to retire a trooper named McCRAE was wounded and his horse killed. Capt Hardham, who was at the time a farrier-major, at once went - under heavy fire - to his assistance, dismounted and placed him on his own horse and ran alongside until he had guided him to a place of safety. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

HARDHAM, Captain W J, V.C., Wellington Mounted Rifles. It was found necessary to leave this officer at Hobart, owing to the development of an abscess, resulting from the wound in the lungs which he had received at the front. An operation was decided upon and, though his condition was not regarded as being serious, it was considered undesirable that he should come any further by the steamer and Capt Hardham was accordingly sent ashore to one of the Hobart hospitals. On the arrival of the Rotorua at Auckland, a cable message was received from him, stating that he was progressing well and every possible care was being shown to him. Capt Hardham is a veteran of the Boer war of 1899-1902, in which he gained his Victoria Cross. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

HATT, Lieutenant Alfred R, 16th, Waikato, Infantry Co., who has been invalided home, was continually on duty at Anzac for 97 days and then incapacitated by illness. He returned by the Tofua. He left as a Staff Sergeant Major at HQ Staff, AIB. On April 25 he volunteered and was posted to the 4th Australian Infantry Brigade in Monash Gully, being entrusted with a section of the machine-guns. In recognition of his service with the Australians, he received his commission and was posted to the 16th Waikato Co until the end of July doing duty alternatively at Quinn's Post and the neighbouring Courtney's Post. He enlisted as a youth with the Gordon Highlanders and has served for over 25 years including three campaigns before the present war. Served with the 'Gay Gordons' throughout the Chitral relief in 1895 under Sir Robert Low, also on the Punjab frontier and with the Tirah Expeditionary Force, the storming of Dargai, Bara Valley. Served with the First Gordon Highlanders in South Africa 1899-1902. Was area Sergeant Major at Te Awamutu and Pukekohe. He is now on extended sick leave, residing in Pukekohe. [AWN 03.02.1916] p.18

HINE, Mr J B, MP for Stratford, has accepted a commission as captain in the 16th Reinforcements. He goes into camp at Featherston in March. [AWN 17.02.1916, p.20]

HUSBAND, Private H H, who was recently admitted to St Patrick's Hospital, Malta, is a son of Mrs J Wesley of Huntly. He was born in the Nelson district 22 years ago and received his education at Nelson College. On leaving school he joined the Post and Telegraph Dept and was for six years attached to the staff of the Chief Post Office in Auckland. He enlisted with the fifth reinforcement draft of the NZEF and took part in the fighting at Anzac from August onwards. [AWN 17.02.1916] P.20

LUXFORD, Captain J C of Te Awamutu, who has been on the instructional staff at Trentham and Rangiotu for some time past, has been appointed machine-gun officer of the Third Battn, NZ Rifle Brigade. [AWN 10.02.1916, p.30]

MASSAM, Private Arthur, who left NZ with the main body as a member of the Auckland Infantry machine-gun section, was, when the last mail left England, about to rejoin his regiment. He was on the peninsula 18 weeks, taking part in all the actions during the period in which the regiment was engaged and although his clothing was pierced by bullets, he escaped injury. He was finally incapacitated by bronchitis and exhaustion and was sent to England. He remained in hospital in Birmingham for a fortnight only and was then discharged on leave. Pte MASSAM is the eldest son of Mr Joseph MASSAM of York Street, Parnell. [AWN 03.02.1916] P.53

MILES, Lieutenant C C , Wellington Infantry Battalion. Son of Mr A H Miles, managing director of the Murray Roberts Co. of Wellington, is one of the returned officers. He went with the fourth reinforcements in April last and was in Egypt for some considerable time. Unfortunately he was unable to take part in the fighting owing to contracting appendicitis and septic poisoning. He was invalided to England and was operated upon in the Endsleigh Palace Hospital. He is very disappointed at being kept out of the fighting but he expresses the hope that he may yet be able to return to the front. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

MORGAN, Trumpeter J W. In a letter to his parents he refers to the death of his comrade Trumpeter Major George MUNRO of the headquarters staff, NZ Mounted Rifles. He states that the deceased died like a hero. He was attending a wounded comrade just behind the firing line when a bullet struck him and passed through the body. This is cited as only one of many brave deeds. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

MORPETH, Private Moore. Mr H D Morpeth, town clerk of Waihi, has received private information to the effect that his fifth son was killed in action at Gaba Tepe, Gallipoli, when the New Zealanders and Australians affected their memorable landing on April 25, 1915. For many months no definite information was forthcoming as to the fate of deceased and it was only a few days ago that an official list gave his name among the missing and believed to be dead. Pte Morpeth was in his 21st year and prior to enlisting was studying for the law. [AWN 17.02.1916] P.20

O'CONNOR Private F, Distinguished Conduct Medal, Wellington Battalion, for conspicuous service at the front - Presented by the Minister of Defence at the Solway Show, Masterton, before a crowd of thousands, including 600 mounted men from the camp at Featherston. The hero was cheered lustily as the medal was pinned on his breast. Pte O'Connor earned the distinction on May 8, 1915 at Krithia for distinguished service in the firing line, where he remained until severely wounded and lost his right eye. He had twice previously been wounded and his gallant example was of great value. Pte O'Connor was also a member of the Masterton Pipe Band. He was a sample of the splendid men that the district was sending to the front and had been honoured by his King, a distinction that was open to every man. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

PALMER, Lieutenant W T, Auckland Mounted Rifles. Few men have had such hairbreadth escapes from death as Lt Palmer, who returned by the Rotorua. He left NZ with the second reinforcements in December 1914 and went to Egypt, afterwards proceeding to Gallipoli. Whilst engaged there he sustained shrapnel wounds in the left leg and thigh and the right thigh. He was also hit by bullets in the left arm and shoulder and had a bayonet wound in the left arm. The thumb and two fingers of the left hand have had to be amputated. As the result of wounds which he sustained on August 27 on 'Hill 60' in Gallipoli, he was invalided to England where he was for some time in the Endsleigh Palace Hospital. Lt Palmer was one of the wounded carried by the hospital ship Maheno on her first trip from Anzac to Lemnos where the hospital base was established. He paid a tribute to the excellent arrangements made for the reception and treatment of the wounded. He was met on board by his brother. He is the youngest son of the late Archdeacon Palmer of the Melanesian mission. [AWN 10.02.1916] p.17

RICHARDSON, Sergeant W R, who was killed in action on December 8, was chief accountant for Dalgety & Co at Auckland when he enlisted in the sixth reinforcements for the Auckland Mounted Rifles. He was educated at Wellington College and after some years service in a banking institution, qualified as an accountant. He entered the employment of Dalgety & Co and was afterwards transferred to the Auckland branch. Sgt Richardson acted as secretary of the Auckland Woolbrokers Ass. He was interested in several forms of athletics and was a member of the Auckland Golf Club. He was also a member of the Junior Club. Sgt Richardson was about 28 yrs of age. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

ROLLETT, Sergeant R R Carl - Among the list of Aucklanders mentioned by Sir Ian Hamilton in his despatch on the Dardanelles operations, appeared the name of ROLLEPP of the Auckland Mounted Rifles. This should have been Sgt R R Carl Rollett of the machine-gun section, who was killed on the night of August 27 whilst gallantly working his gun single-handed against the Turks, the remainder of his section having fallen under the heavy fire of the enemy. [AWN 24.02.1916] p.20

SMITH, Corporal Harold W, Auckland Infantry, aged 24, died in Tooting Military Hospital, one of the victims of the great fight for Chunuk Bair in August. Dangerously wounded by a Turkish bullet which injured the spine and caused paralysis of the lower part of his body. After being treated in Malta for some weeks he was brought to England and about six weeks ago underwent an operation for the removal of the bullet. This, unfortunately, could not be achieved and after a most gallant struggle, which was only possible by the possession of a sound constitution, Cpl Smith died on the 8th inst. He was buried with military honours in the soldiers’ plot of the Wandsworth Cemetery, amongst others of all the services whose resting places will be marked by a public memorial at the end of the war. His comrades from Tooting and Australians from different hospitals attended the funeral. There were many wreaths. [AWN 03.02.1916] p.56

Return To HOME