Search billions of records on


These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.


ALLEN, R C, Lieut Colonel, whose NOK is his wife, Mrs Ida Allen of Piako, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. At a critical moment, at great personal risk, he rallied a number of men of another unit who were withdrawing under a barrage and prevented further retirement. Although severely wounded he continued to give instructions for the continuance of the fight. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

ALLEN, Colonel R G, has arrived at Walton on Thames Hospital in a weak condition but is progressing favourably. [AWN 30.08.1917, p.20]

BAILEY, Lieutenant Allan R of Auckland, RFA, has been killed in action. He was visiting England when war broke out. He served in Egypt for a year with the RFA and then obtained a commission. [AWN 30.08.1917] p.49

BELL, W Neven, Bombardier, killed in action on 31 July, was the eldest son of Mr H Alan Bell of Cambridge and grandson of Mrs Richard McGee of Otahuhu. He was born at Remuera and was educated at the Cambridge High School. After leaving school he was articled to Mr SIMS, borough engineer, Hamilton. He went into camp with one of the earlier reinforcements as a motor ambulance driver but was transferred to the Artillery and at the time of his death was acting as range-finder. He was 19 years of age. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

BELL, Captain William H D, aged 35, eldest surviving son of Sir Francis Bell, Leader of the Legislative Council, has been killed in action in France. He was born at Wellington and educated at Wellington College and Cambridge University and became a Barrister at the Inner Temple. He was a partner in the legal firm of Bell Gully Bell & Myers and a Reform Party member for Wellington Suburbs. He volunteered on the day war was declared and proceeded to Samoa then to England to rejoin the King Edward’s Horse. He was at the Front for two years, distinguishing himself on several occasions. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.16

BIGGS, W A, Private, is the eldest son of Mrs Biggs, Te Aroha, and enlisted in the 15th Reinforcements at the age of 18. Educated at the Te Aroha High School, he was in the service of the Railway Dept. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

BOYD, Captain James Robert, M.D., RAMC — The Military Cross was presented to Mrs J Boyd on behalf of Captain J R Boyd, who is again on active service. It was awarded for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when rescuing, under heavy fire, some men who had been buried in their dugout. Capt Boyd assisted in the digging out of the men although temporarily disabled by earth thrown up by a bursting shell and finally brought in one man alive. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.45

BRICKELL - The family of Mr Robert B Brickell of Morrison’s Bush, Greytown, has a fine record. Mr Brickell, who is a Maori War veteran, has four sons at the front. Of his sons, Ernest (Main Body), Paul (5th Reinforcements), Robert and William, all are in the fighting line with the exception of the latter, recently wounded in the shoulder. A grandson, Raymond BRICKELL, was wounded in the left knee and arm lately. Hugh left with the 6th Reinforcements. John and William BARR, and Robert and Joseph SMYTH, who left with various reinforcements, are nephews, while John CAMERON is a son in law who is on the battlefield. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.18

CAMPBELL, Victor Lindsay Arbuthnot, Commander, R.N., who received the DSO decoration in June 1915, has now been awarded a bar for subsequent acts of gallantry. He was a member o the Scott expedition. He has been reinstated on the active list as a commander in recognition of his distinguished services during the war. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

CANHAM, Harold A, Private, died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr H S Canham of Symonds Street. He attended Newton East School. He was employed by Messrs A H Nathan and was 26 years of age. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

CANHAM, Harold A, Private, who has been reported died of wounds, was the youngest son of Mr H S Canham, of Symonds St, Auckland. He was an old boy of Newton East School and was widely known in Auckland and among the soldiers who have gone from the Auckland Province. After leaving school he went to Sydney where he made many friends. Returning to Auckland he was employed at Messrs A H Nathan’s until he volunteered for military service. He was 26 years of age. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

CARSON, Private William E, reported killed in action in France on 2 July, was the youngest of three sons of Mr & Mrs D Carson of Otahuhu on active service. He was educated at the Otahuhu State School and Onehunga High School and later at the Auckland Training College. Prior to enlisting with the 20t Reinforcements he was school-teaching in the Waikato district. He was an enthusiastic sport, being well known as a hockey and tennis player. His two brothers are Private C H CARSON and Sapper D CARSON, both of whom left with earlier reinforcements. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

CARTWRIGHT, Joseph, single, aged 38, a soldier on final leave, was killed instantly at Manurewa on 8 August by the Rotorua Express. He had been seen walking down the main line. He was a Private in D Company, 29th Reinforcements. His father is Nelson Cartwright of Paparoa, Kaipara. Pte Cartwright had been rejected on several occasions because of deafness but when called in the ballot was passed as physically fit. It was raining heavily at the time of the accident. He was buried at Papakura Cemetery, with six soldiers acting as pall bearers with a firing party from the Auckland Garrison. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.22

COATES, Captain J G, who has been awarded the Military Cross, is a member of the House of Representatives for Kaipara, having won the seat on the second ballot in 1911. Born at Matakohe, he entered into pastoral work on his father’s farm and became one of the leading pastoralists in the Kaipara district, being a noted breeder of Shropshire sheep and Hereford cattle. He was actively identified with public bodies in the northern districts and until his departure for the front, took a prominent part in recruiting, the care of soldiers’ interests and other patriotic work. Capt Coates left NZ last October. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

CONINGHAM, 2nd Lieut A, RFC, Special Reserve, has been made a flight commander with the rank of captain. Formerly with the NZEF, he obtained his discharge and was appointed to the Royal Flying Corps. [AWN 02.08.1917, p.16]

COWAN, Private James L, who has died of wounds, was 29 years of age and was educated t Hunua school. He took an active part in all sports in the district and was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Prior to enlisting he was manager of the Waikato Dairying Co’s cheese factory. Robert Cowan, a younger brother, who has been wounded, was 25 years of age, also was educated at the Hunua school. Mr Cowan, father of the two soldiers, who is 65 years of age, is managing his farm and has refused to appeal for exemption for any of his sons. He has three sons and twelve nephews at the front. They all volunteered for service. One son has been killed and one wounded, while three nephews have been killed and one wounded. Mr Cowan himself was a volunteer for a great number of years and his father saw service in the navy. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.17

CULLING, Thomas Grey, Flight Lieut, RANS, who has just had conferred upon him the Distinguished Service Cross, is the only son of Mr T S Culling of Remuera. On 23 April 1917, with two other machines, he engaged a formation of nine hostile scouts and two-seater machines. Two two-seater machines were shot down, one of them by Flight Lieut Culling unassisted, for which deed his work has been honoured. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

DAVIES, Sydney Allan, Sapper, who died on July 10 in England, at the age of 24 years, was the only son of Mr Davies of Te Aroha, late of Waihi. He saw service in Gallipoli and at the Somme. From then he was invalided to England, succumbing after a long illness. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

DIGBY SMITH, A, Major, whose NOK is his wife, Mrs N C Digby Smith, Musselburgh Rise, Dunedin, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Although severely wounded and gassed he led a company to its objective and remained until the situation was secure. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

DILLON, Edward Thomas, Rifleman, who died of sickness in the Walton on Thames Hospital on 5 July, was the only son of the late Mr Denis Dillon of Albury. He went with the 15th Reinforcements. He was severely wounded in three places by a bomb on 21 December and was sent to Brockenhurst Hospital and afterwards to a convalescent home where he developed pleurisy from the effects of which he died. He was born in Kaikoura 21 years ago and was educated at the Waikari and Albury schools. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

DOUGLAS, Allan R, Lieutenant, killed in action, left NZ with the 23rd Reinforcements, just after attaining his 21st birthday. He was a son of the late John Douglas, of Mount Royal Estate, Palmerston, and received a portion of his education at the Wanganui College, completing his course at the Waitaki Boys High School. he then joined the firm of Messrs Donald Reid & Co. and was in their employment at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

DUTHIE, Lieutenant Keith, who has been killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr D W Duthie, general manager of the National BNZ and formerly manager of the Auckland branch. He was educated at King’s College and later studied law at the Auckland University He left with the rifle Brigade and was promoted recently on the field He was a keen sportsman, having won the singles tennis championship of the University of NZ. He was only 23 years old. Mr D W Duthie has three other sons on military service — Adjutant-Captain Norman DUTHIE is serving in France and his brother, Alan DUTHIE, is at present in training at Trentham. The third brother Hugh, is on the military staff at Singapore. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.17

EVANS, A Winter, Colonel, of Reefton, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. He exhibited great coolness and energy in consolidating a captured position. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

FERGUSON, Private Charles C, who left NZ with the 17th Reinforcements, was admitted to Brockenhurst Hospital in June, having been gassed severely. He is now reported to be improving. His wife and family reside at Chamberlain Street, Grey Lynn. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19


FOY, Private Joseph Michael, who was reported missing on 21 February, is now reported to be dead and to have been buried by the Germans. He was the youngest son of Mr G M Foy of Summer St, Eden Terrace. Prior to enlisting in the 13th Reinforcements, he was in the railway service. He was a member of the St Benedict’s Club and was educated at the Thames Convent and Marist Brothers School, Auckland. Two other brothers have enlisted. One who was in the 19th Reinforcements, has been discharged through ill health. The other brother is in the 28th Reinforcements. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.51

FRY, Gunner Leslie, who has died of wounds, was the son of Mrs Fallon, 36 Bond St, Devonport. He was born in Te Awamutu and educated at Hamilton State and High Schools. Before going to war he was employed by Farmers’ Auctioneering Co., Hamilton. He served on Gallipoli and then in France where he was seriously wounded last October and spent 8 months in hospital in England, after which he returned to France. His brother, Sydney FRY, 5th Reinforcements, also served at Gallipoli and is now in France. Mrs Fallon’s husband, Private J FALLON, went to the Front as a member of the 22nd Reinforcements. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.22

GIESEN, Wilfred L, Rifleman, aged 20, killed in action, was the third son of Mr C F Giesen of Auckland. He was born at Stratford and was at the Wanganui State School and Auckland Grammar School. He enlisted last year. He was farming for about eighteen months in the Northern Wairoa district. His brother, C F GIESEN, is at the front. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

GORDON, Flight Lieutenant A W, Royal Flying Corps, had both legs broken in an aerial combat on the French front. He is progressing favourably. [AWN 16.08.1917, p.19]

GRIMWADE, 2nd Lieutenant Edward N, reported died of wounds in France, is the son of Mr E E Grimwade of Takapuna. He was 28 years of age and prior to leaving with one of the later reinforce-ments was farming at Waerenga. His only brother Corporal L R GRIMWADE, was killed at the landing on Gallipoli. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

HAMILTON, 2nd Lieutenant H D, RFC, previously reported missing, is now known to be a prisoner in German hands. He belongs to Nelson and was formerly with the 10th NZ Mounted Rifles. Lieut Hamilton was a Main Body man, was wounded in Gallipoli, lockjaw developing, but on recovery in June 1916, he obtained a commission in the RFC. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.49

HARBORD, Rev F R, C.F., Vicar of Dunchurch, Rugby, son in law of Mr T Field of Remuera, was killed in action on 8 August. He had been at the front for a year and went through the battle of Messines. In his letters he always spoke in admiration of the NZ soldiers. He also served through the South African war as chaplain. He visited NZ some time ago. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

HARDIE, R D, Major, whose NOK is his father, G M Hardie, Palmerston North, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. Although wounded in the eye, he led his men through a heavy barrage to new positions and continued with great skill and courage to direct gunfire. He remained throughout the action. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

HAUGHIE, F, Corporal, enlisted in an early reinforcement. He fought at Gallipoli and went through the Somme battle. He was at Messines until wounded. All the eligible sons of his family are serving at the front. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

HAVILL, F G, Private, died of wounds, was born at Otahuhu 24 years ago. He was at the Otahuhu school and Auckland Technical College and was one of the No.2 Native Rifles before the territorial scheme was introduced and later was acting-sergeant major in charge of the Papatoetoe cadets. He served his apprenticeship at Messrs Fraser & Sons, engineers. He left NZ last year. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

HEWITT, W J, Signaller, son of Mr J Hewitt of Wood St, Ponsonby, is 22 years of age and was at the Newton East school. He was employed in the city telephone exchange. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

HOLBROOK, Patrick J, killed in action 29 May. The deceased, who had been on active service since September 1914, was attached to the 12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales’s Own). He had been wounded three times previously. He was a brother of the Very Rev Father HOLBROOK and Messrs A J and F P HOLBROOK of Auckland. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

HOLLOWAY, Herbert, Private, aged 19, son of the late Mr W Holloway of Kihikihi, was employed by Mr W F Marks of Onehunga. His uncle, Private C HOLLOWAY, also has been wounded. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

HORWOOD, Major Alfred, who was killed in France on 1 August, was the third son of Mr J A Horwood of Dunedin. He joined the Royal NZ Artillery in 1900 and prior to the outbreak of war was stationed at the Central Battery, Ocean Beach, holding at that time the rank of sergeant-major. He left with the Main Body as a second lieutenant in the artillery. He received his captaincy on Gallipoli and afterwards went to France where his services were further recognised by his being awarded the Military Cross and being promoted to the rank of major. He leaves a widow and two sons. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

HUMPHRIES, Cecil F G, Captain, Christchurch, who has been awarded the Military Cross, commenced his military career as a private in August 1914, and won the DCM at an early stage of the war. He has been twice wounded, the last time as an officer of the Highland Light Infantry. Returned to France he was given command of a Labour Battalion and his services in this capacity have been recognised by the MC. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

JENNINGS, A G, Lieutenant, Northumberland Fusiliers, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is the only surviving son of Mr W T Jennings, MP, New Plymouth. At the opening of the battle of Arras, he was the only officer left in charge of the company. He assumed command of the remnants and managed to knock out a German machine gun crew and to capture the gun. This gun was holding up the attack and had stopped two parties who had previously tried to get it. Mr Jennings was a Main Body NZEF man and was invalided from Gallipoli with shell shock. He received his commission at the beginning of this year. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

JOHNSTON, Brigadier General F E, C.B., Commander of the 1st NZ Infantry Brigade, has been killed by a sniper in France. He was the eldest son of Hon C J Johnston, Speaker of the Legislative Council. He was born in Wellington in 1871 and joined the Prince of Wales North Staffordshire Regt as a Second Lieutenant in 1891 and became a Major in 1911. He married the daughter of the late A G Fell, Wellington, who followed him to Egypt and died there a few months afterwards. His brother Lieut Octavius JOHNSTON, British Army, was killed on the Western Front. His brother in law, Major LEVIN, NZEF, was killed at Gallipoli and his sister, Mrs LEVIN, died some months later. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.17

JONES - Four sons of Mrs M Jones, 38 George St, Rocky Nook, have enlisted, three being on active service and one on home service. Gunner Owen J JONES, has just been reported wounded; Private Charles JONES is still at the Front; and Corporal William JONES, who left with the Main Body was wounded at Gallipoli and invalided. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.18

KAIPARA, Lieut A P, who has been killed in action, was a well known footballer, being recognised as one of the best five eighths players in NZ. For many years he played for Poverty Bay and on two occasions represented the North Island against the South Island. As a member of the Maori team which toured Australia, he earned the name of the ‘indiarubber man’. He was a law clerk by occupation. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

KEAT, Private G H and Private W A McCAW, both of the NZMC, the Army commander expresses his appreciation of their gallant conduct: "On June 16, Private E LUCAS, North Staffordshire Regt, while bathing in 11ft of water, abounding with weeds, got into difficulty and sank. Pte McCaw plunged in to his assistance and aided by Pte Keat, after many attempts succeeded in bringing the unconscious man to the bank and eventually resuscitated him by artificial respiration." [AWN 30.08.1917, p.20]

KELIGHER, P J, Captain, who has been killed in action, was educated at the Christian Brothers School, Dunedin. He was staff officer in charge of Otago group before leaving NZ with one of the later reinforcements. He was 23 years of age and was of magnificent physique, standing 6ft 3ins and weighing between 15 & 16 stone. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

KER, J, Private, and KER, E, Private, both of the Rifle Brigade, are sons of Mr John Ker, principal warder of Mt Eden Prison. They were at the Grafton Road School, the former subsequently being engaged in farming and the latter employed as a steward by the Northern S.S. Co. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

KNYVETT, F B, Major, D.S.O., R.F.A. (Auckland), has been wounded. He was gas-poisoned and has been in hospital at Boulogne but he has been discharged fit for duty and has returned to his division. He had lost a section of his men and was helping to get the wounded to a dressing station when a gas shell exploded at his feet. The men who were with him have since died from the effects of the gas, so Major Knyvett had a very narrow escape. He has now been five times wounded — four times in France and once in South Africa. In addition to the D.S.O. conferred on the occasion of the King’s Birthday, Major Knyvett has twice been mentioned in despatches. [AWN 02.08.1917] p.16

LILEWALL, Fred., Private, killed in action in France on 1 August, aged 32, was the youngest son of Mr John Lilewall of 254 Karangahape Road. He left NZ in April last and had only just reached the firing line when he met with is death. Prior to enlisting he was employed as an accountant by Messrs Smith & Caughey. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

LIVINGSTONE, Lieutenant R Heaton, South Staffordshire Regt, was wounded during recent heavy fighting in France and is in hospital in London. He was a member of the Main Body, NZEF; he was in Egypt and Gallipoli with the 1st Canterbury Battalion and, as a consequence of severe wounds, he was invalided back to NZ about the end of 1915 and discharged. He obtained his commission in December 1916. During the fighting at Bullecourt he was one of the two officers of the battalion who went right through the attack upon the village itself, which had previously been taken and lost several times and which passed finally into British hands after the attack in May. 2nd Lieutenant Livingstone is now convalescent. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.49

LYNCH, Lieut Cecil Audley, died of wounds, was the youngest of five brothers who have seen active service. He was educated at the Epsom school and Auckland Grammar School. On leaving school he entered the office of Carr Pountney & Co. He was on the clerical staff of Wingate & Co., Auckland, when he enlisted. He took a keen interest in all military matters and was lieutenant of the 32nd, Auckland, Company of cadets. He left NZ in November last as officer commanding the E Company of the 19th Reinforcements. He declined an offer of a position at Sling Camp, preferring to do his share on the field of battle. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.18

MACKY, William Allan, Private, killed in action on 28 June, was the eldest son of Mr W G Macky, Paterangi. He left NZ with the 21st Reinforcements. He was educated at the Paterangi School and the Hamilton High School, after which he was assisting on his father’s farm until his enlistment. He was 20 years of age. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

MAISEY - Four members of the family of Mr & Mrs Massey of Turango-o-Moana, Matamata, have earned an honourable place in the list of fighting families. The first to go to the front was N E MAISEY who left with the Main Body and made the supreme sacrifice at Gallipoli. Sgt Major T D MAISEY, who enlisted with the 3rd Reinforcements, was wounded at Gallipoli and was invalided home. He left again with the 12th draft and has been in France for several months. Trooper J M MAISEY, who left with the 6th Reinforce-ments, was wounded at El Irish and was in hospital for a month, after which he rejoined his comrades in Palestine. Trooper R J MAISEY joined the 25th draft this year. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.17

MARSHALL, Lieut A J, who is returning to NZ under orders from the NZ Government as expert in the manufacture of ammunition, is one of three brothers who voluntarily went to the front. He first served at the forts at Auckland on the outbreak of war and subsequently joined the fifth reinforcements with a brother. Lieut MARSHALL went to Egypt as lieutenant of the Howitzer ammunition column. He after-wards went to France where he was in the firing line until he was called to England to train for the special work of bullet making. He also is an electrician. The second brother, Gunner John L MARSHALL, who left with the same body, has been all through the late fighting at the front without a day’s sickness or mishap. Another brother, Private Thomas MARSHALL, left with the 17th Reinforcements and was quickly in the firing line. It was there that he contracted, owing to the excessive cold, a serious attack of pleurisy, necessitating his being taken to hospital. He is now progressing favourably. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.18

MARTIN - Three sons of Mr R B Martin, Queen’s Parade, Devonport, have gone on active service with the NZEF. The second son, Gunner Leonard MARTIN, was reported died of wounds on 12 July. He was 33 years of age and left with one of the early reinforcements. He was born in Auckland and educated at Newton West and Church Street State schools. Two brothers are attached to the artillery branch. [AWN 16.08.1917] p.18

MARTIN, F M, Private, reported missing since June 23, is the only son of the late Mr James Martin of Parnell. He was educated at the Parnell school and King’s College. He left NZ with the 19th Reinforce-ments. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

MASSEY, F G, Lieutenant, the youngest son of the Prime Minister, has been awarded the Military Cross. Previous to an attack he performed service invaluable to his brigade in successfully carrying out its assembly arrangements. The fact that there was no hitch was due to his careful personal reconnaissance’s. Afterwards, during an attack, he did valuable work in going forward when communication had broken down, owing to casualties and other confusion and returning with a clear report on the general situation. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

McCAW — see KEAT

McDIVITT, Private Reginald, son of Mr W McDivitt of Pukekohe, was killed in action on 25 July. He was recently awarded the Military Medal for bravery at Messines. He left with the Main Expeditionary Force and was 22 years of age. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

McFARLANE, Private Daniel James, killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr McFarlane of Papakura. He was born in Auckland and educated at the Remuera school. He served in the Kitcheners Fighting Scouts in the South African War. Previous to enlisting, he was employed in the King Country. Two of his brothers are at the front. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

McGAVIN, D J, Lieut Colonel, whose NOK is his wife, Mrs M McGavin, Willis St, Wellington, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. At great risk he successfully evacuated wounded during a heavy offensive. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

McGONAGLE, Cyril, Private, killed in action, was a son of Mr A McGonagle of New Plymouth and formerly of the Auckland district. He left with the Main Body and fought all through the Gallipoli campaign. He was awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery. During the Somme offensive also he was complimented by his commanding officer before his company for an act of coolness and bravery in bomb-throwing under fire. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

McINDOE, Sergeant E M, South African Heavy Artillery in France, son of Mr W J C McIndoe of Tamaki West. He joined the Cape Garrison Artillery in October 1914 for service in the rebellion and German South West Africa. [AWN 30.08.1917, p.62]

McNICOL, Duncan Bannatyne, Lieutenant, who died of wounds in France on 4 August, was the second son of the late Mr John McNicol of Hamilton. He was born at Cambridge in 1887 and was educated at St John’s Collegiate School. He afterwards was engaged in farming pursuits but for the six years before enlisting he was stock agent and auctioneer for the North Auckland Farmers’ Auctioneering Co. Being a good Maori scholar he enlisted with the Second Maori Contingent, being immediately made Quartermaster, and he remained with that regiment until the last Whilst in the Waikato district he was a prominent member of the Hamilton Polo Club; he was also a well known footballer. His younger brother, John, is serving in Palestine with the Mounted Rifles. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

MILLWARD, Flight Sub-Lieutenant K H, RN, son of Mr C F Millward, Wanganui, and also Captain W W FITZHERBERT, Royal Sussex Regt, who has been attached tio the RFC for some time since Being wounded on the Somme, are reported missing. [AWN 30.08.1917, p.49]

NELSON, Harry, Lance Corporal, killed in action at Messines on June 7, was the son of Mr Peter Nelson of Birkenhead and Albany. He left NZ with the Auckland Mounted Rifles and in Egypt volunteered for the infantry. On arrival in France he served with the machine gun section until shortly before his death, when he was again transferred to the infantry, he being the only survivor of his section. Prior to enlisting he was engine driving in the King Country and for some years was foreman of the Remuera Fire Brigade and also held a position in the waterworks department of that district. He was 25 years of age and was born at Parnell, being educated in the Albany district. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

NOLAN, Private Cuthbert Parker, who has died of wounds received in the Messines battle, was the son of Mrs E J Nolan of Green Lane. He was 32 years of age, born in Auckland and educated at St John’s & King’s Colleges. After leaving college he joined the staff of the local office of the NZ Loan & Mercantile Agency, subsequently being engaged in farming at Moumakai. He enlisted at the outbreak of war, leaving with one of the early reinforcements as a sergeant. After arriving in England his eagerness to proceed to the front led him to revert to the ranks, with the result that after ten days in England he was ordered to France. He was engaged in the Somme battle where he was slightly wounded. He quickly recovered and after a short spell again entered the trenches. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

NOONAN, E, Gunner, killed in action, was a son of the late Mr E Noonan of Waihi. He was brought up at Ponsonby and latterly had resided at Parnell. He was a member of the West End and St George’s Rowing Clubs for some years and also had been a member of the Ponsonby and Mt Eden Bowling Clubs. He took an interest in hockey and acted for some time as a referee for the Auckland Hockey Assn. He was employed as an engineer in the Northern Roller Mills prior to enlisting. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

NORMAN, Private Edward Lewis Fearon, who died of wounds somewhere in France on July 27, was born in Cambridge, England, in 1875. He was the youngest son of William Alfred Norman, M.B. of Cambridge, MRCS. He came to NZ with his parents in 1887 and returned to England to finish his education, then came back to NZ and has since farmed at Mangorei, New Plymouth. He married the third daughter of Mr James WA*LE, Mangorei. He left with the 10th Reinforcements as trooper, going first to Egypt, from where he volunteered for service in France in the infantry. He was wounded at the battle of the Somme and suffered from shell shock but was soon able to rejoin his unit and finally made the supreme sacrifice. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

NOTLEY, J T, Staff Sgt Major, of Opotiki, reported missing on May 15, and now believed to have been drowned owing to his vessel being torpedoed, left NZ with the Main Body in 1914. He was in Egypt training the men. He was mentioned in despatches. He was afterwards sent to France and last February was on duty at Sling Camp. He was an Imperial soldier, having joined as a bugler when 14 years old in Colchester. He saw 15 years service in India. One brother has served 26 years in the Army, 12 of them in India. His older brother served six years in Egypt and died in Netley Hospital. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

O’MEARA, W J, Private, died of wounds, was born at Swanson 22 years ago. He left NZ early in 1916. He was previously wounded on 11 August last. He was employed at the State sawmill at Piha. He was at the Swanson and Marist Brothers schools. His only brother, Gunner J O’MEARA, is serving in France. Their father is Mr John O’MEARA of Swanson. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

O’RORKE, D C, Major, King’s Royal Rifle Corps, has been awarded the Military Cross for taking command of another company in addition to his own and handling a difficult position with the greatest skill. He set a fine example to his men. He has just been promoted Major, at the early age of 21 years. He has seen much service since the outbreak of war, for he was in France by the end of 1914. He was wounded in the early days and has twice been gassed. He is a son of Mr E D O’Rorke, of Auckland. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

PARKES, P G, Captain, has been awarded a Bar to his Military Cross, for establishing strong posts on an unprotected flank, thus saving advanced waves from being cut off. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

POWLEY, Captain Alfred James, NZRB — The Military Cross was presented to Mrs A J Powley on behalf of the late Captain Powley. The deed which won the honour for the deceased officer was conspicuous gallantry during a raid on the enemy’s trenches. His party was heavily encumbered by eight wounded men, one dead man and nine prisoners but with great determination he got them all in safely. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.45

PRINCE, George J, Private, 18 years of age, is the younger son of Mr J T Prince of Kohimarama. He attended Edendale School and was farming in the Tuakau district. His elder brother has received the Military Medal. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.45

RANKIN, Sergeant J, NZFA — The Distinguished Conduct Medal was presented to the deceased’s mother. Sgt Rankin showed conspicuous gallantry on 6 August 1915 near Lone Pine, Gallipoli. While his battery was bombarding the position the telephone line was cut. He went out voluntarily under heavy and continuous fire and laid another wire over the broken section. This enabled the battery commander to resume control with half an hour of the connections being broken thus materially assisting the fire effect of the battery. His bravery and good work had been consistently shown since the landing on the peninsula. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.45

REID, 2nd Lieutenant Percy Cargill, London Regiment, was killed on 6 May, two months after going to the front. He was a son of the late Mr E J Reid of NZ and Mrs Reid of 137 Ladbroke Road. An old boy of Wanganui, Lieut Reid completed his education at Marlborough College and then went to Canada. When war was declared he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force as a private and then obtained his commission. His commanding officer wrote: "I soon knew him for an excellent officer, beloved by his men and brother officers, and a very gallant leader. He died a glorious death, encouraging his men to the last with his noble example." [AWN 30.08.1917] P.49

REID, Captain W Douglas, RAMC of Blenheim, has been awarded the Military Cross. He is attached to the Manchester Regt. [AWN 2.08.1917] P.50

RHODES, Sergeant Ernest, s/o Mr T W Rhodes, MP for Thames, has been killed in action. In Parliament the Prime Minister and Sir Joseph Ward extended the sympathy of the House to the bereaved parents. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

RIDLER, Sergeant Major A J, NZFA, of Wellington, has been appointed superintendent clerk at the NZ Military HQ in place of Sergeant Major MILLINGTON, who is returning to NZ, having been discharged On account of eye trouble. Sgt Major Ridler left NZ with the second reinforcements, saw service in Gallipoli and has been at Hornchurch for the past year. [AWN 30.08.1917, p.62]

RUSSELL, Sir Andrew, Major-General — Particulars have been received of the manner in which this popular Commander of the NZ Division in France, was wounded. He was visiting the New Zealand front line trenches, when he was hit by a bullet, most probably fired by a sniper. The bullet penetrated his steel helmet and grazed his skull for several inches, making the blood flow freely. Fortunately the wound incapacitated the general for a very brief period and he soon returned to headquarters. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.62

SANDERS, Lieut Commander William Edward, V.C., son of E & C Sanders, Takapuna, has been killed in the North Sea. [A longer report is furnished on p.17 [AWN 23.08.1917] P.17

SIMON, Lt Frank, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, has transferred to the Otago Regt. He belongs to Invercargill and was a medical student at Trinity College, Dublin, before the war. [AWN 02.08.1917] p.16

SIMMONS, E, Private, reported wounded and missing, is a brother of Nurse McINTYRE of Church St, Onehunga. He was educated at the Marist Bros school, Auckland. He was 29 years of age and was by trade a jeweller. He was a grandson of General HUGHES, a veteran of the Indian Mutiny and Maori War. His father also fought in the Maori War. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

SMITH, Sergeant James, reported killed in action, was well known throughout NZ as an enthusiastic sportsman and a keen soldier. He held the rank of QMS with the NZ forces in South Africa during the Boer War and enlisted shortly after the outbreak of the present war in the Otago Infantry. While in Taranaki he owned and raced a number of horses and until his departure from that district was president of the Taranaki Hunt Club. Some years ago he wa manager of the Hotel Cecil, Wellington and afterwards proprietor of the Imperial Hotel at New Plymouth and a partner of the firm of Hawkins & Smith. During the past three or four years he was licensee of Mon Desir, Takapuna. His widow resides in Takapuna. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

SMITH, Private L F, Gordon Highlanders, of Stoke, Nelson, has died of wounds. [AWN 30.08.1917, p.49]

SOMMERVILLE, J A, Major, whose NOK is his wife, Mrs C E Sommerville, Stanley Bay, Auckland, has been awarded the Distinguished Service Order. He showed fine leadership in an attack resulting in the capture of two field guns. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.27

SPEIGHT, Harold, 2nd Lieut, NZFA, has received the Military Cross. The official record says that his battery was suddenly subjected to an intense bombardment. He at once went into the open and visited the battery positions and directed the removal of all his men to cover. His prompt action and great courage saved many casualties to the battery. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

SQUIRRELL, Signaller Thomas Walter, Engineer Signal Corps, Australian Imperial Forces, second son of Mr G Squirrell, Mt Eden, has died of wounds on 5 August in France. He was born in Auckland but when war broke out resided in Sydney where he enlisted in 1915. He was selected for signalling and despatch riding. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.20

STEPHENSON, Lance Corporal G F, killed in action on 26 July, was the elder son of Mrs M A Stephenson of Ramarama. He went with the Main Body to Gallipoli and afterwards to France. Prior to enlisting he was the teacher of the Mount Maunganui School, Tauranga. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

STEVENS, Frank, Rifleman, who was killed in action in France on 20 June, 1917, was a member of the 1st Battalion, NZ Rifle Brigade (10th Reinforcements). Before going on active service he was employed on the staff of the maintenance department of the Wellington Gas Co. for 12 years. He always took an active part in outdoor sports, being a member of the Phoenix, Gas Co’s ad East Cricket Clubs and was also a prominent player for the Southern Football Club. He won many medals for his good play, among the latter he holds a gold medal for being the best forward in 1910. He was the youngest son of Mr & Mrs William Stevens Snr, of Elm Villa, 111 Mein (sic) Street, Newtown, Wellington, who have had four sons in the firing line, two having returned wounded, one still remaining in France and a fifth son proceeds to camp shortly. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

STILL - Mrs J Still of Queen St, Hamilton, has the proud record of having six sons in the NZ Forces at the front, all of whom volunteered whilst residing in Wellington. Their names, in order of enlistment, are: Corporal Amos E STILL; Corporal Richard W STILL; Private Archibald E STILL; Gunner R E STILL; Private Leslie J STILL; Private John H STILL. Amos is at present sick in hospital, being the first of the six to be laid aside. Both he and his brother Richard went through the Somme battle. The latter won his two stripes in France. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.18

STOWERS, W F, Private, seriously wounded, is a son of Mrs Stowers of Samoa. Before enlisting in the 14th Reinforcements he was employed by John Burns & Co. He is in the Walton Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound in the face and a fractured jaw. He is a native of Samoa. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

TEMPERLEY, Major A C, DSO, Norfolk Regt, who has been with the New Zealanders in the field since the beginning, is now a general staff officer, 1st grade, and is struck off the strength of the NZEF. His successor is Captain A L NEWNHAM, MC, Middlesex Regt. [AWN 02.08.1917, p.16]

THOMPSON, Lieutenant A S, who has been killed in action, was the youngest son of Mr A S Thompson of Pakuranga, president of the Auckland Agricultural & Pastoral Assn. He was one of three sons who went to the front. One of the two surviving brothers has been wounded and has returned to duty. A fourth brother is engaged on war work. The general committee of the A & P Assn on meeting yesterday adjourned as a mark of respect to the late Lieut Thompson, after passing a resolution expressing condolences to his relatives and appreciation of the part that members of the family have taken in the war. [AWN 23.08.1917] P.17

TRIGG, Private Jocelyn B, who died on 10 July from wounds received at Messines, was the fourth son of Mrs Trigg of Auckland and of the late Mr W J Trigg, architect, of Te Puke and Rotorua. He was educated at the Te Puke school and enlisted in the second reinforcements from that district. He took part in the Gallipoli campaign, being wounded. Another brother, Ernest, who left with the 13th Reinforce-ments, was wounded at the Somme but is again in the firing line. [AWN 16.08.1917] P.19

WARD, Charles Keith Kilgour, Private, who was killed in action at Flanders on 27 July, 1917, was born at Bulls, Rangitikei, and would have attained his 21st birthday on the 4th of next month. He was an old Nelson College boy and at the time of his enlistment was on the clerical staff of the North British & Hawkes Bay Freezing Co., Napier. He left Napier with the 8th Reinforcements in the infantry and was wounded in July last year. After a brief spell he rejoined his regiment, when he was transferred to the Lewis machine-gun section. Lately he obtained 10 days leave to visit England and had been back in the firing line about a month before he made the supreme sacrifice. He was the grandson of the late Charles Ward of the Customs, Wellington and Christchurch, a Maori War veteran. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.20

WECK - Five sons of Mrs A L C Wick, Puhoi, have established a good record as a fighting family. Trooper J T TURNWALD, 11th Reinforcements, who was a railway porter for several years, has died of wounds. Private B J TURNWALD, 7th Reinforcements, and Private T TURNWALD of the Rifle Brigade, have both been gassed and wounded, and Private L TURNWALD, 8th Reinforcements, has been wounded. Trooper Joseph TURNWALD enlisted in the Australian Forces some two years ago and is believed to be still fighting. All five enlisted voluntarily. [AWN 30.08.1917] P.51

WILES, Henry M, Signaller, aged 32, who has been killed in action in Egypt, left NZ at the end of last year. He was a native of Wairarapa. He was for 8 years an operator in the Auckland Telegraph Office. His wife resides in Prospect Tce, Mt Eden. [AWN 02.08.1917]P.19

WOODFORD, Joseph Edward, Lance Corporal, killed in action, was the son of Mr Joseph Woodford of Waipiro Bay. He was working at his trade as a blacksmith prior to enlisting at the end of last year. [AWN 02.08.1917] P.19

Return To HOME