Search billions of records on

APRIL 1917

These are extracts from the Auckland Weekly News magazines and have been extracted with permission. Thanks to Jackie Walles for these.

April 1917

ANGEL, Sergeant, who belongs to the Pioneer Battn, performed gallant service in Gallipoli, for which he was awarded the Military Medal and has since been fighting in France. He is returning to NZ for a commission. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.48

BIRNIE - A very fine record of service stands to the credit of the family of Mr John BIRNIE of O’Rorke St, Remuera. Mr Birnie, who himself held a commission as Major in the Volunteers had 7 sons. One was killed in action in France, four are at present on active service and another leaves for the front shortly. The seventh son, Gordon BIRNIE, was called up in the ballot system. He appeared before the Military Service Board on Thursday and his appeal was allowed on the grounds that he was not of military age. His father stated that his lad was anxious to go to the front but his parents were wishful that he remain until he came of military age. The lad took it as a slur that he could have been drawn in the ballot. The Board congratulated Mr Birnie on his fine family record of service for the Empire. Mr G Elliot said there were few families in NZ who had sent six sons to the war. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.19

CAIRNCROSS, Rifleman John, who was killed in action, was a native of Langholm, Dumfriesshire and a cabinet-maker and carpenter by occupation. He had been in NZ since 1904. He went into camp in April last and has been in the firing line since December. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.21

CAMPBELL, Signaller Finlay Augustus, who lately died of meningitis in a French hospital, shortly after having been wounded on the Somme, was a son of Mrs Campbell of Matangi and 24 years of age. He completed his education at the Auckland Grammar School and was afterwards on the staffs of the Auckland Star and Stratford Post. Immediately prior to his enlistment he was managing his mother’s farm. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.17

CAMPBELL, Lieut J D, Adjutant, 6th, Haurakis, Regiment, has gained a first class pass with honours in ballooning and observation examination which he attended while convalescing after being wounded. Already he had passed the aviation tests. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.49

CLARK, Private Alfred Colin, youngest son of Mrs John Clark, Karaka, seriously wounded in the spine on 21 February, is now out of danger and has been moved from a hospital in Boulogne to the King George Hospital, London. He is one of three brothers serving. He was previously farming at Karaka. Privates Leslie Gold CLARK and Joseph Reynolds CLARK have both given their lives. Leslie, who was killed on the infamous Daisy Patch, Gallipoli, farmed at Karaka and Joseph, employee of the Waihi Goldmining Co in the maintenance of the electric line from Horahora, died from wounds received in France. Their late father, John CLARK, took part in the Maori War. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.18

COGHLAN, Rifleman Clarence A, Rifle Brigade, son of Mr A Coghlan, Mangere, has received shrapnel wounds in the face and head. His wounds are not serious and he is remaining with his unit. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.17

COOK, Major C F D, Wellington Battalion, who has been promoted to the rank of Lieut Colonel, is the son of the late Professor Cook of Christchurch and a partner in the legal firm of Fullerton Smith Miles & Cook of Marton and Feilding. He left with the main body and acted as Staff Captain during the Gallipoli campaign. He was mentioned in despatches in connection with the fighting in August 1915 and was invalided the following months. On rejoining his regiment in February 1915 he was promoted to the rank of Major. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.18

CORNWELL, Private James Minshall, who was killed in action in November, met his death through the bursting of a shell while on duty in the front trenches. He was in the employ of Messrs Buchanan and Co., Jewellers, till two years ago when he left to take up a position in Suva. He jointed the Australian Imperial Forces in February 1916, reaching France two months before his death. His brother, Gunner Henry CORNWELL, is serving with the NZ forces. Their parents reside at 53 Hepburn St, Ponsonby. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

DALBY — A promising NZ officer, Lieutenant E Ballard DALBY, RNR, and an Extramaster of the Port of London, was killed in action at sea on 18th March last, probably at the time of the German raid on Ramsgate. He had been serving all through HMS Carmania’s commission and following the sinking of that vessel and the Cap Trafalgar soon after war broke out, he rose to be second in command. He was then transferred to a warship. Previously the late Lieutenant had seen considerable service in the NZ Shipping Co which he left to report himself to the Admiralty. A brief while ago he was married in London to Dr Marjorie MIDDLETON, niece of Sir John Middleton. Sergeant Major Charles DALBY, of the Main Expeditionary Force, 1st, Wellington, Battalion, since invalided home to NZ, is a brother of the deceased and met him while in England. There are other relatives in North Canterbury. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.17

DALRYMPLE, Sister Nora, NZ. Royal Red Cross 2nd Class - Has done continuous work since the war started. Her husband, Major Dalrymple, had charge of the famous Khaki Train and now is Medical Officer in Charge of a large convalescent camp at Treport. Mrs Dalrymple is a member of the Queen Alexandra Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.49

EDGECUMBE, Lance Corporal J H, youngest son of George Edgecumbe, Frankton has been awarded the Military Medal. He was studying architecture in London when war broke out and joined the Royal Engineers. He has seen much service in France. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.17

Mrs E Edwards, Paeroa, holds a commendable record of three sons on active service. Lieut Edwin EDWARDS, wounded in France on 21 February, left NZ in March 1916. He was a keen volunteer officer and enthusiastic footballer and tennis player and played in the Goldfields Representative football team. He was in business as a land and financial agent. He has lost his left eye and is suffering from gunshot wounds to the face but is making favourable progress. Sergeant Major Parry EDWARDS was in Australia at the outbreak of war and left with the main body of the Australia Expeditionary Force. He was severely wounded at Gallipoli and left unfit for active service. He was transferred to the Army Pay Office in London. Corporal Cedric EDWARDS, was on the Staff of the Bank of NZ, Rotorua. He is at present attached to the Non-commissioned Officers Class now in training. [AWN 05.04.1917] p.18

FAITHFULL, Private Norman, reported missing, is the eldest son of Mr Norman Faithfull of Waipapa, Bay of Islands. He left NZ in January 1916 and was wounded at the Somme on 15 September. Previous to enlisting he was engaged in the timber trade. Private Faithfull is 23 years old. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.17

GAWLER, Lieutenant Douglas, Royal Flying Corps, nephew of Mrs Arthur Boull, Hill Top, Khyber Pass, has been awarded the Military Medal. Lieut Gawler is the elder son of the late Hon Douglas Gawler of Perth, West Australia, and great-grandson of Colonel Gawler, the first Constitutional Governor of South Australia. Mrs Henry Gawler of Hill Top, Khyber Pass, is Lieut Gawler’s grand-mother. [AWN 19.04.1917] p.51

GEANGE, Trooper J W, who saw service with the Wellington Mounted Rifles, Main Body, died at the Auckland Hospital on Friday. His father, Mr John Geange, resides at Upper Hutt. Tpr Geange was discharged from the Expeditionary Force on 4 December. He was until recently a patient at Rotorua but was sent to Auckland and admitted to the hospital last Monday week. He was suffering from the effects of two bullet wounds in the chest. The late Tpr Geange will be buried at Lower Hutt. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.20

GILLARD - The family of Mrs Gillard, East Tamaki, has already provided three soldiers for the NZEF and will shortly make a number up to five. F GILLARD was killed at Gallipoli, Tom has been wound and is in hospital in France; Ben is in camp at Trentham, while Louis and D GILLARD have enlisted and will go into camp shortly. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.19

GREER, Private Samuel, who died on 17 March from wounds received on 21 February, was not quite 20 years of age. He was the eldest son of Mr Samuel Greer of 16 Williamson Ave, Auckland and was educated at the Napier Street school. He was a good swimmer, having won several medals at school sports and he was an enthusiastic footballer, being a member of the Rovers Club. He was also successful as a rifle shot, having won a second class badge at Trentham and a first class in England. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

GRIFFITHS, Rifleman George Arthur, lately reported to have died of disease, was a member of a family which has sent three sons on active service. Their father, Mr Thomas Griffiths, lives at Okoroire. At the time of enlistment he was employed at Huntly. In Egypt he was engaged in desert operations. After arrival in France he fought in the early part of the Somme advance but just prior to his fatal illness he was employed on railway construction. His brother Ralph enlisted early in the war and fought at Gallipoli. He is now in France where he was wounded on 16 September. Another brother, Thomas, has volunteered for the Army Postal Corps. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.19

HARPER - One trio of fighting men who have gone from Devonport are a father and two sons from the HARPER family of Church Street. Rifleman A HARPER was wounded in the advance on the Somme on 15 September last and his son, Sergeant C P HARPER received gas into his lungs on 12 November. Both were sent to English hospitals and Mrs Harper has been informed they are now on the convalescent list and both at Hornchurch Hospital. Driver Henry ROBERTSON, NZFA, another son of Rifleman Harper, has completed his primary training and will leave NZ with the next reinforcement draft. [AWN 19.04.1917] p.19

HENDERSON, Bombardier Bruce — Advice has been received by Miss Maggie KNIGHT, an Aucklander, who is a member of the Florence Rockwell Company, that her son has been severely wounded in France and is in hospital in London. He has been at the front for over two years. He is a grandson of the founder of the firm of Henderson & McFarlane and the old Circular Saw shipping line. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.17

HENDERSON, Lieutenant George Dunnett, Royal West Kent Regt. Canterbury, a New Zealand officer serving in the British Army, has been awarded the Military Cross. He took out a party and reorganised the men of his battalion under intense fire and consolidated the ground taken. [AWN 08.02.1917, p.19]

HOUSTON, Private D, killed in action on 29th March 1917, came from Co. Antrim in 1910 and was farming in the north of Auckland but latterly went to the south. He was a brother of Mr W Houston of Cambridge. [AWN 29.04.1917] p.17

HOWARD, 2nd Lieut Harry Elsmore of the Northumberland Fusiliers, serving with the New Zealanders at Gallipoli, has died of wounds. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.24

JARDINE, Captain Edmund B, RAMC, Gisborne, has been awarded the Military Cross. He tended the wounded continuously for three days and nights under heavy fire, displaying great courage and determination. He has done fine work throughout the campaign. [AWN 08.01.1917, p.19]

LANGDON, William Manning, ASC Driver, suffered an accident at the Defence Office, Rutland St, on Friday, while driving a wagon load of small arms ammunition to the Drill Hall. He was a married man aged 43, married, with 2 children, a carpenter, living at James St, Arch Hill. Associated names: Dr KNIGHT, F V Fraser, SM, Albert Edward Palmer, uncle of deceased, Det Sgt Alfred Hammond, Lieut Samuel Mellows, Alexander James Bell, Dr D R Niven. A verdict was returned in accordance with the medical evidence and that the accident was due to the unsafe condition of the gutter at the crossing. There was no evidence of negligence or want of skill on the part of the deceased. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.49

LEVINGE, Lance Corporal Henry Marcus Tenison Tiute, killed in action in France on 17 March, was the only son of Dr H M Levinge, now of Ruawai, Northern Wairoa, aged 25. At the age of 16 he took part in a three months cruise to the Solomon and other Melanesian islands in the mission steamer Southern Cross. Prior to enlistment he was learning sheep farming at Gisborne. He left NZ in May 1916, spent six weeks in Egypt then did a term in Sling Camp before going to the front. He had several scientific hobbies including mechanics, chemistry, photography and music. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.19

McKENZIE, Private Frank John, of the Auckland Battalion, who died of wounds in Bologne Hospital on 1 March, was the only son of Mr Murdoch McKenzie of Whangarei Heads. He received his education at the Heads school and at the Whangarei High School. He was for two years probationary teacher at the Hora Hora school and studied for one year at the Training College, Auckland. He enlisted at the age of 20 years and went to the trenches on 1 September. He was slightly wounded in the knee by shrapnel in the battle of the Somme on 28 September, necessitating his being in hospital for 13 days. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

McLEAN, 2nd Lieutenant Neil C, Rifle Brigade, whose promotion to the rank of Junior Subaltern in the NZEF was reported last week, is a son of Mr Murdoch McLEAN of Mt Albert. He left NZ in October 1915 and has been promoted from the ranks to a commission. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.56

NICHOLAS, Sergeant L R of the Wellington Infantry Battalion, was awarded the Military Medal in France for conspicuous gallantry during an important raid at Armentieres, when there were 41 casualties among the 80 men who took part. He was in charge of the regimental stretcher-bearers stationed at the mouth of the tunnel through which the raiding party returned. Although the trench was under heavy shell fire he continued at his post, dressing and sending forward over 20 wounded men, working under fire for over an hour and a half. It was in this particular raid, said Sgt Nicholas, that Sgt Major FROST of the Wellington Infantry Battn and holder of the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Croix de Guerre, and Lieut RIDDIFORD, awarded the Military Cross, were killed, Sgt Major Frost being a holder of the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Croix de Guerre and Lieut Riddiford being awarded the Military Cross. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.48

NICHOLSON, Rifleman William, lately killed in action, was the second son of Mr R Nicholson of Mercury Bay, who has fallen in the war, his brother J A NICHOLSON having been killed on 27 December. William left NZ in May 1916. For eight years prior to his enlistment he was in the employment of the Kauri Timber Co. [AWN 12.04.1917, P.17]

O’CONNOR, Rifleman John, 39, whose death was lately reported, was a son of Mr James O’Connor of Khyber Pass Road and an old boy of the Marist Brothers School. He was previously employed at Steel Construction Co. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.21

PALMER, Private George, who has died of wounds in France, was the second surviving son of Mr & Mrs Palmer of Horse St, Archhill. Aged 30, he was born in Auckland and educated at Newton West school after which he was in the timber trade. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.17

PARR, Private Ellis Alexander, who was recently reported wounded, is a member of a family which is doing its share in the war. His home is at Petone, Wellington, and he has two brother, Rupert and Mark PARR, in the fighting lines, while his father is a member of the garrison at Samoa. All the male members of their household are in khaki. Ellis Parr is well known in rowing and football circles in Auckland, where he was a clerk in the loco department of the railway service at the time of his enlistment. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.49

PHILIPS, Rifleman M, who has been killed in action, was the eldest son of Mr H Philips of Kohukohu. According to information received by his relatives he volunteered to carry despatches from the trenches to headquarters at a critical period. His commanding officer stated that had he returned he would have been recommended for the D.C.M. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

RESTON, Roland A, second son of Mr S J Reston, Sunnyvale Rd, Remuera, was admitted to Walton on Thames Hospital, on 11 March suffering from fracture of the leg. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

ROBERTSON - The family of Peter Robertson of Avondale has five members engaged in war work, 3 sons and 2 daughters. Lieut Gordon ROBERTSON, and engineer by training, is presently employed on construction operations for the Naval Air Service, Sunbeam Motor Works, England. Private Norman ROBERTSON, Australian Machine-gun Company, and Private Benjamin ROBERTSON is enrolled in a NZ reinforcement contingent. Nancy ROBERTSON is a Nursing Sister in Lord Darby’s Hospital in Wallingford, and Miss Susan ROBERTSON, just qualified for the medical profession at Edinburgh University, proposes volunteering for medical service in France. [AWN 19.04.1917] p.19

ROSS, Sergeant Major, holder of the Military Medal for gallant service, who left England with the British section and joined up with the New Zealanders in Egypt, is a veteran of the South African war. He received the Military Medal for his service in Gallipoli where he was wounded and afterwards took part in the Somme battle in France, being wounded twice. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.48

SAIES - Splendid as has been the record of the fighting families who have been sent out from NZ to fight for the Empire and the cause of international righteousness, all instances yet recorded are eclipsed by one which came under the notice of a reporter on Tuesday. The household of Mr J H SAIES of Totara North, Whangaroa Harbour has provided no less than 7 soldiers for the Army, while an eighth offered his services but was obliged to stay at home owing to medical unfitness. Six of the young men left NZ in one reinforcement draft. The names of the eight are: Alfred, killed in action 16 Sept 1916; Joseph, Arthur, Edward and James are still fighting in France; Albert and Frederick have returned with honourable wounds and been discharged; and Charles, is the man who was debarred from following the patriotic example of his brothers through a physical defect. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.52

SMITH, Rifleman William Drower, who was killed in action in France on 11 March, was the only son of Mr W Smith, Ponsonby Road and was 21 years of age. He left NZ in April 1916 and was wounded at Flers last September. After spending three weeks in hospital he returned to the trenches. At the time of his enlistment he was farming at Waipukurau. He had had experience in the boy scouts and territorials, holding the rank of corporal in the latter and was also an enthusiastic cricketer and footballer. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

SOLOMON, L/Cpl Peter, aged 24, Cook Islands, who returned to the Dominion on 5 March, has died of an internal complaint. He was buried with military honours at Waikumete Cemetery on Thursday. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.19

SOMMERVILLE - Another creditable family record is that of the late Colonel R J SOMMERVILLE of Wanganui and of Mrs Sommerville now of Glen Road, Stanley Bay, whose five sons have taken, or are about to take, a very active part in the war. The eldest son Captain L S SOMMERVILLE, reported wounded, saw service in the Boer War in which he was wounded and twice mentioned in despatches. He is now in Egypt with the Mounted Rifles. Major J A SOMMERVILLE, also in Egypt, was wounded At Romani but has since rejoined his regiment. Trooper Stanley SOMMERVILLE was killed at Gallipoli in August 1915. Two more brothers are in training and are to leave NZ shortly. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.18

STUART, Corporal William, killed in action, France 23 March, came to NZ from Scotland 8 years ago. He was born in Forres, Morayshire and he spent a furlough there two months before his death. He enlisted in October 1915. He and his brother, Corporal Robert STUART, received their stripes on the field in France. He spent most of his time in Auckland being the foreman pastry-baker to Mr James Gardiner, Baker. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.52

TAYLOR, Sapper Jones of the original Tunnelling Corps, who had been invalided home suffering from the effects of gas received in France, died in Waihi Hospital on Thursday. He was interred at the Waihi Cemetery after a military funeral conducted by. Rev George LOHORE in the rites of the Druidic order. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.21

TEW - Four sons of Mr T Tew of Opotiki are bearing arms and a fifth volunteered but was rejected. Gunner Herbert TEW is in the crew of a warship and served for four years in the Persian Gulf where he was wound in a fight with gun runners. More recently he took part in the Battle of Jutland and other engagements in the North Sea. Private Leslie TEW left NZ with the June 1915 reinforcement draft and was wounded at Gallipoli. He was again wounded in France last September at the Somme offensive, losing the use of his left arm. He is presently in a NZ hospital in England. Private Stanley TEW left last June and is now in the trenches. Private Harold TEW is in camp, having enlisted as soon as he reached military age. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.19

WALLACE, Lieutenant L, son of D R Wallace, for many years past closely identified with Hokianga, has been invalided to a French hospital suffering from gas poisoning. He has been with the Artillery since the outbreak of war and this is the first mishap to befall him. In a letter he states that the British Army has such superiority over the German Army that it is now no longer necessary for the artillery to keep their guns hidden. [AWN 12.04.1917] P.21

WARBURTON, Lieutenant Darian, son of Mr Eliot Warburton, Palmerston North, Royal Flying Corps, is reported missing. He left NZ at the outset of war with the Auckland Mounted Rifles, main body. He was invalided from Gallipoli and afterwards joined the Royal Flying Corps. It is possible he may have been taken prisoner. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.19

WATSON, Private Walter McKinley, reported to have died of wounds on 25 March, was the fifth son of Mr J Watson, Drummer St, Auckland, and one of four brothers serving in the Expeditionary Force. He served through the greater part of the Gallipoli campaign, went to France with the NZ Division and served continuously with the Auckland Battalion up to the time of his death. He was wounded in Gallipoli and again at the battle of the Somme. [AWN 12.04.1917] p.17

WATTS, Rifleman T A, who was killed on the Somme front, was a brother of Mrs A R Watson of Te Puke. She has now received a letter from Captain Drummond of the NZ Rifle Brigade in which the following reference to her brother is made: Rifleman T A Watts was killed during the heavy fighting on the Somme during the advance of the NZ troops. We were advancing under very heavy machine-gun and artillery fire and he was killed by a bomb which exploded in the pocket of the man next to him which had evidently been struck by a machine-gun bullet, killing three men, including your brother, and wounding some others. He was buried on the spot where he so nobly gave his life for his King and country. I saw that a cross was erected. Unfortunately we are now several miles away from the scene of that heavy fighting and we cannot see to the graves of our brave lads who fell during the big advance. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

WILLOUGHBY, Gunner R J, NZFA, died of wounds in France on 22 March 1917. He joined the Garrison Artillery at Fort Cautley in January 1915 and enlisted in the Expeditionary Force in January 1916. He has served in Egypt and France. [AWN 26.04.1917] P.19

WILSON, Gunner E W M, better known as Wray WILSON, was killed in action in France on 21 March. He was born at Whangarei 22 years ago. He was the son of Andrew Wilson, District Surveyor, King Country. At the outbreak of war he was farming at Hangatiki and tried to enlist at the outset but was too young. Having enlisted in August 1915, he left NZ in January 1916 as a Trooper. In Egypt he transferred to the Divisional Ammunition Camp and went to France with the Anzacs.. He took part in the Somme advance and joined the Trench Mortar Battery in December last. He was an all round sport and a splendid horseman. [AWN 19.04.1917] P.19

WRIGHT, Private J W, who has been killed in action, was the second son of Mr James Wright of Archhill, an employee of the City Council. He was born in Leicestershire, England, and was 28 yrs of age. With his elder brother he came to Auckland in 1912 and was employed by the firm of Stonex and White, engineers. In October 1915 he enlisted in the Tunnelling Corps, having been a miner in England. When he met his death he was acting as a despatch-rider. Private Wright was well known in cycling circles and was a member of the YMCA. His younger brother is in a training camp. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

YOUNG, Lance Corporal William James, reported killed, was the eldest son of Mr R Young of Wardville, formerly of Otorohanga. He was born in Cardrona, educated at Otorohanga Public School and was 22 years of age when he fell. [AWN 05.04.1917] P.22

Return To HOME