Search billions of records on
Ephraim's glory is like the firstling of his bullocks and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth.
~ Deuteronomy 33:17

Linda's Hardy Ancestors and Cousins


Zachariah Hardy

BIOGRAPHY: Zachariah Hardy was a martyr to the cause of the Latter-Day-Saints in Nauvoo, Illinois. He ferried wagons across the Mississippi River dieing from exposure to cold on February 13, 1846. We don't know all of the facts; that is, how many days it took to ferry the Saints across the river, but we do know that the first wagons crossed February 4th and continued into March. Zachariah was dead nine days after February 4th. He was 47 years old. Here is a copy of the records passed down to us, by the great-grandchildren of Zachariah and his wife Eliza Philbrook.
    Three generations of the Hardys lived in Camden, Maine and in the islands off the coast of Maine. Zachariah Hardy, was born in Belfast, Waldo, Maine on 12 March 1779, and died 13 February 1846 in a small town called Montrose, Iowa just across the river from Nauvoo, Illinois. He was the son of Joseph and Betsy (Elizabeth) Thorndyke Hardy who were also born in or near Belfast, Maine. Zachariah married Eliza Philbrook of whom we have very little records, however of little consequence, it was known that she could knit and did for a living when she came out West with the Saints. Eliza was born 25 July 1807 in Belfast, Maine and died in Hooper, Utah 5 January 1881.
    Joseph Hardy was a sea captain in a large fishing and trading or freighting vessel which traversed the Eastern seacoast from New York to Maine, sometimes being away from home for many months. He was also a carpenter and ship builder and in these trades his three sons became very expert and followed these until they left their native home to answer the call of the West. In 1840 the last of the oldest generation, Joseph Hardy, who was almost 100 years old, died. His death made it possible for the next two generations to migrate to Nauvoo, Illinois.
    They first heard the Gospel preached by Elder William Hyde, in Searsmont, Maine, a little town near their home and where they afterwards moved to. Elder Hyde's sermon impressed them very deeply and they were soon converted and baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints in August 1840. Early the next year they joined a company of Latter-Day Saints who were going west to Nauvoo, Illinois to be with the main body of the church. They left farms, comfortable homes and all they possessed, taking with them only what they could haul in wagons. In their family at the time was the father and mother, Joseph and Betsy Thorndyke Hardy, their son, Joseph, Lewis, and Zachariah with their wives and children; and their daughter, Eliza and her husband Abiah Wadsworth and their children.
    It was a long journey over the mountains and mother Betsy was so frail and delicate that she soon became ill and was unable to travel longer. They decided it was best to accept the invitation of a family of saints who offered their home until the journey could be resumed. The eldest son, Joseph returned for them about two months later. The rest of the family reached Nauvoo late in the fall of 1841, about the 28th of October.
    The father, Joseph died after reaching Nauvoo early in 1842, and the mother, Betsy died in 1843. The first person they met upon their arrival at Nauboo was the Prophet Joseph Smith with whom they became intimately acquainted. Zachariah Hardy was chosen to be a body guard for the prophet and hel this position until the Prophet's death.
    Tensions began to multiply. The state of illinois was licensing them is conduct of its citizenry. Zachariah and his wife and children watched and worried as the hatred grew against the Saints. Then came the tragic year of 1844. The blind hatred of the frenzied mob was let loose, and terrible acts of violence were committed aginst Nauvoo the Beautiful and its citizenry, including the prophet Joseph Smith and his brother, Hyrum resulting in their murders.
    At the time of the martrydom Zachariah was among the first to reach the scene of the tragedy. This event threw the saints into grief and confusion until Brigham Young took command of the Church, determined to lead them west. Immediately they were caught up in preparation to move. Part of the preparation was building flat boats large enough for horses and wagons to board. These flatboats had to be ferried across the river. Originally because the Hardy's were carpenters and shipbuilders, Zachariah was called to go with the first company as rafts and bridges were needed to cross the many rivers going west which would be swollen in the early spring, but later because of his seamanship skills Brigham Young asked him to stay and run the ferry boat across the river to assist the fleeing saints who were being driven and persecuted by angry mobs.
    On February 9, 1846 with the wagons lined up down Parley Street, his own family among them he began ferrying the wagons across the mighty Mississippi. He ran the ferry day and night for three days as he could not depend on help. On the night of February 11, 1846, a terrible storm arose. The chilling winds of winter swept down upon them with a force that rivaled the terror of the mobs. Zachariah never wavered from this calling. The next morning when the ferry had not returned, the found him lying on the ferry, his beard and hair matted with ice. He had a very bad cold which developed into pneumonia from which he died on the river bank with only a wagon bed covered and placed on the ground as a means of protection. In this same wagonbed lay his sick wife, who had there delivered a baby five days earlier and their other five children, the wagonbed being the only shelter the young family had.
    As they dared not return to Nauvoo in the daytime, his brothers, Joseph and Lewis and brother-in-law, Abiah Wadsworth and a son, William took his body and buried it at night. This left his wife along with six children to provide for, with very little to live on until spring. Emma Smith,the prophet's wife, opened her home and cared for them until she was able to travel and then said, if she would give up her trip west with the saints she could have a home with the, but Eliza refused.
    Lewis took his family with the rest of the Hardy's and Wadsworth's to a small town about fifty miles farther on. Here they remained until the spring of 1849 when the moved to Council Bluffs. They started their journey west on the 10th of May 1851. Eliza's oldest son, William now being 16 years old they joined Captain Day's company, consisting of about 50 persons. Eliza had a small team and an old wagon in which she had all her earthly possessions. William drove most of the way, while the older children walked and pulled a cart and the two younger ones rode in the wagon.
    It was a long tiresome trip and Eliza was often so tired and footsore at night that she found sleep impossible, but she was never heard to complain of her sad lot, always ready with a smile and cheer for those around her. Their trip was uneventful, although they were troubled by some wandering tribes of Indians and they often had to stop and repair bridges or build rafts to cross the swollen streams. All went well with them and they reached Salt Lake Valley which to them was indeed the "Land of Promise," September 18, 1851.
    They were very pleasantly welcomed by those who had preceded them, and after resting only one day and night, Brigham Young sent them with a colony of saints to settle East Weber, now called Uintah. It took them three days to make the journey, as they and their teams were so worn out from the trip across the plains. They arrived in East Weber September 21, 1851. They lived there several years, sometimes being threatened by Indians which at times were very troublesome. The saints built a fort for protection against an outbred, and in the winter of 1854 they were compelled to move all the families into the fort as the Indians were on the warpath and would often drive off their horses and cattle. They moved back to their home in May of 1855 and planted crops, but as it was solate and a very dry season, they rasied very little. They all knew what it was to go to bed so hungry they couldn't sleep. It was at this time that Eliza knitted for a living, selling to those more fortunate or trading for food and clothing, to support herself and her six children.
    In 1858 they moved to Mountain Green, and from there to Morgan in 1869. Eliza moved her family to Grantsville where she remained only a short time. Whe later moved to Hooper to live with her eldest son, William, and here she lived in peace and happiness until the time of her death January 5, 1881. She died as she had lived, a true Latter-Day Saint, and kind and loving mother and friend. It was often said of her that she would forget her own grief and troubles in administering to others in their need. She worked hard to support her family, which she did very well with the help of kind friends and her children.
    It was truly said of her: "Those who knew her best, loved her most."

Eliza Ann Philbrook

pioneer - Benjamin Gardner's company on 1852 or Captain Cook's company in 1851

Martha Eliza Harvill

BIOGRAPHY: Martha Eliza Harvel was born in North Carolina on June 4, 1808, a daughter of Squire James Harvell and Mary Money (Monnette). They came to Illinois and settled on a farm. They were well-to-do farmers, owning a large farm. They owned a large grove of sugar maples and when it was time to tap the trees, they would go to the grove and camp and make maple sugar. They would keep so many pounds of sugar for each member of the family for the year. They also gathered pecan and hazel nuts for the winter.
  Their farm was near the Bickmore farm and when she grew up, she married Isaac Motor Bickmore. They had seven children, four boys and three girls. They were John Jackson, born 1828; Mary Jane who married Jacob Abbott; Isaac Danford who married Ellen Oldham; Mary Ann who married William Hardy; Sarah Elizabeth who married Francis Gunnel; David Newman who married Elizbeth McArthur; and Daniel Marion who died as a young man.
   Isaac joined the LDS church several years before Martha did. They sold their farm and started with a company of saints to Utah. They joined the John B. Walker Company wagon train. Isaac died of cholera before reaching Utah. He was buried at Loup Fork, Nebraska. He was only ill a few hours. He and his mother died the same day, July 5, 1852. The wagon train arrived in Utah on 5 October 1852.
  Isaac's brothers and families were in the same company. It was the time of the gold rush in California. A number of the Bickmore's went on to California but Martha stayed in Utah with her family. She had one married daughter Mary Ann Hardy who came with her to Utah. Mary Ann's husband, William Hardy, was very kind to Martha and helped her a great deal.
  Martha's oldest son, John Jackson, never came to Utah. When they left Illinois, some of their relatives started out on the wagon train but turned back. John went back with them and his mother never saw him again. He joined the Confederate Army and fought in the Civil War. He was an officer when he was killed.
  Martha's son-in-law, James Abbott, was very good to her and her family. Martha was very efficient and could do all kinds of work, including carding, spinning and weaving cloth. She also colored it. She had a loom and her granddaughter, Martha Bickmore Shipley, remembered a dress she wove and colored for her. She could do all kinds of knitting such as stockings, mittens and gloves. He taught her granddaughter, Martha
Bickmore to knit.
  Martha was a midwife and went out among all kinds of sickness and there weren't any doctors in the area in those days. As a mid-wife, she helped deliver many babies, traveling on horseback for each delivery. She always kept a hired girl to help her with her family.
  Martha married Timothy Parkinson on 4 June 1856 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. Timothy had two sons. Martha helped raise these sons. Martha's youngest son died as a young man, still in his teens. After their children were raised and married, they took a small boy in and raised him. He went by the name of Henry Parkinson.
  Martha co-owned and operated a dairy farm in Wellsville, Utah. She made butter and cheese, which she promptly stamped with the big letter, "P". She was a good Latter Day Saint who was generous with her time and money. Martha donated a portion of her farm to the town of Wellsville to be sued as the Wellsville City Cemetery. She was buried in the cemetery she donated the land for.
  Marth died in Wellsville, Utah, where she had lived most of her life after coming to Utah. She is buried in the Wellsville Cemetery. [Source: Sketch of Martha Harvell Bickmore Parkinson by Martha Bickmore Shipley, a granddaughter. Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Vol. III, page 2301.]