Patricia O'Connor, R. G.
Harrison Colescott is another of whom we can not prove parentage. It is possible that he was son of James S. Colescott, or of the enigmatic William W. Colescott. On the other hand, he could be a son of a William Colescott who is on the 1830 census of Caroline Co., MD with a son of the right age, we know that Harrison was in MD in 1828. At this time, there is no way to prove his parentage. It is thought that he might be the illiegitimate son of James Sullivan Colescott, but can't yet be proven.
Descendants of Harrison Colescott
Generation No. 1
1. Harrison1 Colescott was born Abt. 1807 in MD, and died Bet. 1870 - 1880 in Greenwood Co., KS. He married (1) Rhoda Colescott December 09, 1830 in Franklin Co., IN (Source: Fra Co., marr bk 3, p269), daughter of Ralph Colescott and Rhoda Cain. She was born Abt. 1812 in Kent Co., DE, and died Bef. 1840 in Franklin Co., IN. He married (2) Rebecca Stewart August 15, 1844 in , Franklin, IN (Source: Indiana Marriages Through 1850 Indiana State Library, Genealogy Div..). She was born Abt. 1818 in Ohio.
Notes for Harrison Colescott: None of these children are proven to be his, but he had children of this age in 1840 census.. One male under 5 1835-1840 (John?); one male 5-10 1830-1835 (Thomas ?); two females 1830-1835 (Maria ? and an unknown.)
Ref. Franklin Co., Ind Court Records
Civil Order Book #5
pg 324 A list of petit jurors for 2nd week of Aug. term included Harrison Coalscott
Harrison Colescott was a witness to this Maryland will in 1828. Note, Ralph Colescott married Mary Swiggett in 1789 and Mary's sister, Sarah md a John Colescott at about the same time. Harmon was a brother to these two women.
CAROLINE COUNTY WILLS AND ADMINISTRATIONS
Harmon Swiggett w.20 Feb 1828 p. 6 April 1833 Lib. WAF No. A f. 120; son John Swiggett ; farm where he now lives adj. William Swiggett, Solomon Richardson and James Richardson; moveable estate and farm two sons James and Robert Swiggett and Martha? dau of James $25 ea. Joseph Swiggett's son William and dau Hester $25 ea. Thomas Swiggett's daus Mary E. and Sarah $25 ea. Levisa Stevens's dau Harriet Stevens and Mary Stevens $25 ea. Ann Stevens son Joseph Stevens and Azel Stevens $25 ea. son John Exec. wit. S. Richardson, Harrison Colscott, Ann Richardson
From Land Records of Crawford Co., IL:
May 4, 1844 John F. Dickerson sold 160 acres of land in Crawford Co., IL to Harrison Colescott for $600.00 NE Qtr of Sec 27 in Twp 6, No of Range 12 W. Mahala signed for her Dower Rights Signed by both John F. & Mahala Dickerson
Apr 26, 1845 Harrison and Rebecca Colescott of Franklin Co., IN sold the same land to William Colescott
Sept 28, 1846 William Colescott of Henry Co., IN sold 160 acres land to Benjamin H. Burton of Franklin Co., IN for $300.
Sep 28, 1846 William Colescott appeared to verify above, no wife appeared, so he was not married
All of this presented to the Crawford Co., IL court on Nov 7, 1846
Presumed children of Harrison Colescott and Rhoda Colescott are:
+ 2 i. Thomas
H. (?) 2 Colescott, born Abt. 1834 in Ohio.
+ 3 ii. John (?) Colescott, born Abt. 1837 in Indiana.
4 iii. Maria (?) Colescott, born Abt. 1834 in Ohio.
5 iv. Unknown Female Colescott, born Bet. 1835 - 1840.
Children of Harrison Colescott and Rebecca Stewart are:
+ 6 i. David
L.2 Colescott, born Bet. August 15, 1846 - 1848 in Ohio; died
April 29, 1913 in Eureka, KS.
+ 7 ii. Harriett J. Colescott, born Abt. 1850 in Cincinnatti, Hamilton, OH.
8 iii. Rebecca Colescott, born Abt. 1852 in Illinois.
+ 9 iv. Edith Amanda Colescott, born February 02, 1857 in Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio; died February 01, 1930 in Grant Co., OK.
10 v. Walter Francis Colescott, born Abt. 1866 in Iowa.
Generation No. 2
2. Thomas H. (?)2 Colescott (Harrison1) was born Abt. 1834 in Ohio. He married (1) Mary A. Allen June 26, 1864 in Cincinnati, Hamilton, OH. She was born Abt. 1831 in Ohio, and died Bef. 1870 in Ohio. He married (2) Maria Abt. 1874. She was born Abt. 1845 in Ireland.
Notes for Thomas H. (?) Colescott: There is no proof that Thomas was a son of Harrison and Rhoda's. However, it seems likely, he is of an age to be one of the males in Harrison's household in 1840. Harrison had children from his second marriage born in Ohio. Thomas stayed in Cincinnatti, Ohio and is found on the census' of 1850, 1870 and 1880. The only other Colescotts we find in Ohio are Maria, believed to be his sister, and two young girls who are found on the 1870 census living in Franklin Co., IN with Elizabeth (Colescott) Logan. These girls, Ann, age 16 and Ada, age 9, are both born in Ohio.
Cincinnati Commercial (Paper)
Typed as published and submitted by Gloria Buckle 1/28/02
On Sunday, June 26 (1864), in Cincinnatti, by Rev. W. S. Hartley, Thomas H. Coulescott to Miss Mary Allen
He also appears in the same area, Cincinnatti, on the 1880 census, wife Maria, widow of a Moore
Children of Thomas Colescott and Maria are:
11 i. Clara3 Colescott, born Abt. 1875 in Cincinnati, Hamilton,
12 ii. Thomas Colescott, born Abt. 1879 in Cincinnati, Hamilton, OH.
3. John (?)2 Colescott (Harrison1) was born Abt. 1837 in Indiana. He married Harriet. She was born Abt. 1837 in Ohio.
Notes for John Colescott: Again, there is no proof that John was a son of Harrison's, however, he is of an age to be one of the males in Harrison's household in 1840. Also, he appears in Kansas in 1850 and 1860, close to where Harrison lived.
Children of John Colescott and Harriet are:
i. Mary E.3 Colescott, born Abt. 1857 in Iowa.
+ 14 ii. William W. Colescott, born Abt. 1859 in Iowa.
+ 15 iii. Charles D. Colescott, born Abt. 1869 in Kansas; died 1946 in Grand Junction, CO..
6. David L.2 Colescott (Harrison1) was born Bet. August 15, 1846 - August 15, 1848 in Ohio, and died April 29, 1913 in Eureka, KS. He married Hannah May Lewis July 23, 1873 in Wilson Co., KS. She was born May 01, 1854 in Altoona, PA, and died February 18, 1923 in Eureka, KS.
Notes for David L. Colescott: These obituaries received from Janet Hawks firstname.lastname@example.org , thanks, Janet.
Obituary from the Eureka Herald 01 May 1913, Eureka, KS
D. L. Coalscott Dead
David L Coalscott died at his home in West Eureka
Tuesday morning April 29 after an illness
of less than a week. Mr Coalscott was one of the oldest settlers
of Greenwood County, having lived here
for 40 years, the last 12 in Eureka. He was
born in Iowa in 1854 and was 59 years old at the
time of his death. A wife and six
children survive him, one son and three daughters
being at home. Funeral services were
conducted at the home on Wednesday afternoon. The K & L of S had
charge of the services and the grave
services at Greenwood Cemetery were in charge of
Rev. F. H. Gillette.
Obituary from the Democratic Messenger 01 May 1913
David L Coalscott was born in Iowa August 15, 1854, died at his home in West Eureka Tuesday, April 29, 1913, at 6:50 o'clock a.m. aged 59 years. Mr. Coalscott's illness was of short duration. While working at the home of H. D. Adams last Thursday at 3 o'clock p.m. he was suddenly stricken with paralysis of the right side. From that time he never regained consciousness, but grew weaker until the end came. He is survived by his faithful wife, who for nearly forty years has walked by his side. Thirteen children were born to them, six of whom are still living. For a number of years the family lived at Fall River, where Mr. Coalscott followed his trade that of quarrying and dressing stone and for the past ten years they have lived in Eureka. For many years he has been a member of the Christian church. He carried 2,000 life insurance in the fraternal order of Knights and Ladies of Security. Funeral services were held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. services at the house being in charge of the Knights and Ladies of Security. Rev F. H. Gillette, pastor of the Christian church conducted the services at the grave. Burial in Greenwood Cemetery.
Notes for Hannah May Lewis:
Rec'd from Janet Hawks email@example.com
Mrs. Anna May Coalscott was born in Altoona Pa.
May 1, 1854, and died February 17, 1923,
at the home of her daughter in Long Beach California. She came
to Kansas with her parents when a small girl, the
family locating on a farm near Fall
River. She was united in marriage to D. L. Coalscott
July 24, 1871. Mrs. Coalscott was the
mother of thirteen children, nine of whom preceded her in death.
The surviving four are: A. B. Coalscott
, Junction City Kansas, Mrs. H. B. Moore,
Eureka Kansas, Mrs. J. L. Brooks, Long Beach, Mrs.
Jim Hathaway, Towanda Kansas. She also leaves three brothers, two sisters,
nine grandchildren, and four great grandchildren. In early life Mrs. Coalscott
united with the Methodist church and has always lived a devoted Christian
life. The funeral service was held at the H. B. Moore home in Eureka Sunday,
conducted by Rev. Boicourt and internment was in Greenwood
Children of David Colescott and Hannah Lewis are:
i. Rebecca J.3 Colescott, born Abt. 1875 in Kansas.
+ 17 ii. Belle Matilda Colescott, born Abt. 1876.
18 iii. Guy Colescott, born Abt. 1878.
19 iv. Louis Colescott, born Abt. 1878; died 1910.
20 v. Elizabeth Colescott, born Aft. 1880. She married William Johnson.
21 vi. George Colescott, born Aft. 1880.
22 vii. Henry Colescott, born Aft. 1880; died in Infancy.
23 viii. June Colescott, born Aft. 1880. She married Henry B. Moore.
+ 24 ix. Martha Gertrude Colescott, born Aft. 1880.
25 x. Myrtle Colescott, born Aft. 1880; died in Infancy.
26 xi. Rudillas Blackstone Colescott, born January 04, 1893 in KS; died August 23, 1955 in Los Angeles, CA. He married Myrna King; born May 13, 1890 in KS; died July 15, 1978.
Notes for Rudillas Blackstone Colescott: He's not named as a living child in his mother's obit 1923???
7. Harriett J.2 Colescott (Harrison1) was born Abt. 1850 in Cincinnatti, Hamilton, OH. She married Micaiah B. Sawyers June 20, 1871 in Chautauqua Co., KS. He was born Abt. 1832 in Al.
Children of Harriett Colescott and Micaiah Sawyers are:
27 i. Cora B.3 Sawyers, born Abt. 1874
in Elk Falls, Elk, KS.
28 ii. Elbert Sawyers, born Abt. 1876 in Elk Falls, Elk, KS.
29 iii. Thomas H. Sawyers, born Abt. 1878 in Elk Falls, Elk, KS.
30 iv. Marilda Sawyers. She married Winkleman.
31 v. Louise W. Sawyers, born July 14, 1882 in Longton, KS; died April 14, 1932 in Longview, TX. She married Stapp.
Notes for Louise W. Sawyers: This page is a part of the Gregg County, TX GenWeb project
FORMAN FUNERAL HOME RECORDS
1932 Stapp, Mrs Louise W born 7-14-1882 at Longton, Ks; died 4-14-1932 Kilgore Rd, Longview, Tx Md survivor, Mrs Marilda Winkleman, (sister); funeral charged to Mrs Marilda Winkleman, Campo, Colo. Cause of death, Cerebral Hemorrhage & High Blood Pressure Residence, Kilgore Rd, Longview, Tx Occupation, Housekeeper Father, McCoger B Sawyers, b. Ala Mother, Harriet J Coalscott, b. Cinncinatti Ohio Service at Elk Falls, Ks Interment at Elk Falls, Ks
9. Edith Amanda2 Colescott (Harrison1) was born February 02, 1857 in Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio, and died February 01, 1930 in Grant Co., OK. She married (1) Thomas Osburn. He was born Abt. 1857 in IN. She married (2) Jacob Radcliff Arnold November 07, 1881 in Elk Falls, Howard, KS, son of Isaac Arnold and Mary Bush. He was born Bet. November 11, 1829 - 1831 in Gilmer, VA, and died September 07, 1909 in Wynona, Osage, OK.
Child of Edith Colescott and Thomas Osburn is:
+ 32 i. Rosa Bell3 Osburn, born April 17, 1875 in Longton, Elk, KS; died January 19, 1941 in Anthony, Harper, KS.
Generation No. 3
14. William W.3 Colescott (John (?)2, Harrison1) was born Abt. 1859 in Iowa. He married Mary J.. She was born Abt. 1861 in Kansas.
Child of William Colescott and Mary is:
33 i. William E.4 Colescott, born Abt. 1879 in Kansas.
15. Charles D.3 Colescott (John (?)2, Harrison1) was born Abt. 1869 in Kansas, and died 1946 in Grand Junction, CO.. He married Margaret E.. She was born 1873, and died 1931 in Grand Junction, CO..
Presumed child of Charles Colescott and Margaret E. is:
34 i. Robert C.4 Colescott, born November 17, 1895; died May 01, 1964 in Grand Junction, CO..
17. Belle Matilda3 Colescott (David L.2, Harrison1) was born Abt. 1876. She married Charles Wesley Donart February 25, 1891 in Greenwood Co., KS (Source: Greenwood Co., Ks Marriage Book, Bk E, p 206.). He was born Abt. 1870.
Children of Belle Colescott and Charles Donart are:
35 i. Arthur4 Donart.
36 ii. Clarence Donart.
24. Martha Gertrude3 Colescott (David L.2, Harrison1) was born Aft. 1880. She married (1) Alvin Walker McIver February 22, 1900 in Greenwood Co., KS (Source: Greenwood Co., Ks Marriage Book, Bk E, p 296.). She married (2) James Hathaway October 26, 1907 in Greenwood Co., KS (Source: Greenwood Co., Ks Marriage Book, Bk F, p 359.).
Child of Martha Colescott and Alvin McIver is:
37 i. Margaret Mae4 McIver, born October 16, 1900; died November 24, 1977 in Bakersfield, Kern, CA. She married Alfred T. Lucas.
Child of Martha Colescott and James Hathaway is:
38 i. Freda4 Hathaway.
32. Rosa Bell3 Osburn (Edith Amanda2 Colescott, Harrison1) was born April 17, 1875 in Longton, Elk, KS, and died January 19, 1941 in Anthony, Harper, KS. She married James Ossian Parker May 21, 1895 in Florence, Grant, OK. He was born September 26, 1869 in Page Co., IA, and died May 11, 1941 in Anthony, Harper, KS.
Notes for Rosa Bell Osburn: Info from http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:28398&id=I1500 firstname.lastname@example.org
Children of Rosa Osburn and James Parker are:
39 i. Ethel V.4 Parker, born September 04, 1896.
40 ii. Edith Amanda Parker, born May 04, 1899.
41 iii. Luella Bernice Parker, born August 21, 1901.
42 iv. Melvin Paul Parker, born April 28, 1905.
Other researchers of Harrison's include:
James S. Colescott
Other Franklin Co., IN Colescott Families
Early Maryland/Delaware Colescott Information