Search billions of records on
On 18 May 1897, the Society of the Descendants of Pilgrim John Howland was organized at the Parker House in Boston. In 1925 the name was changed to The Pilgrim John Howland Society. And in Plymouth, at #16 Leiden Street, the first street laid out in that community and named in honor of those Puritans who took refuge at Leiden, Holland, there is a granite marker in the sidewalk marking the site of John Howland's first home. It reads: On this lot Stood the first house of the Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland, The Pilgrim John Howland Society 1978 The John Howland home in Rocky Nook, four miles from Plymouth, was excavated in 1938. William Howland, in his Howlands in America" tells us what was found: "By far the greatest find was made when we uncovered first the stone walls, the threshold, and then the broad deed hearth stones where for upwards of 35 years the Howland family food was prepared... The black burned ring upon the stones still exists to show where the fire was laid. In this huge fireplace was unearthed a spoon, a broken yellow glazed deep dish, and a piece of armor (which) shows clearly the detail and design of one of the two tasset plates which hinged to the bottom of the breast plate to protect the thigh. It is the only piece of armor known to be in existence and which belonged to one of the Pilgrims. Consequently, this item stands first in importance not only from the archealogical point of view, but the historical as well (and from the sentimental point of John Howland's descendants.) It constitutes, aside from the written word, one detail strongly reminiscent of the final stage of Medievalism...we found such quantities of nails, broken glass, some charcoal and parts of window hardware, one pintle for the entrance door, as well as bent or clinched nails from the door itself, that we were able to establish the truth of the rum or...that the house had been burned, probably between 1676 and 1690... "From the house came three spoons and the handles of two others. Parts of milk bowls, a covered dish, parts of which were found upon the hearth; shallow dishes of shipware pattern and with their scalloped edges, cups and bowls. The milk bowl s and the covered dish were nearly 19 inches in diameter. They were quite deep...Knives of a great variety of size and shape, were brought to light, including parts of two bone handles . . . "A very few small fragments of Dutch blue and and white ware were discovered. We probably have uncovered all of the fragments of a jug which was possibly 10 inches in diameter by sixteen inches tall. The inside was surfaced with a soft green ish glaze. Jugs of this type were shipped from West Indies, as early as 1650, and contained sugar or molasses . . . ". . . between the stone threshold and the inner paved area, we discovered flattened against the base of one of the stones a Pap or porridge spoon. There are seven of these in Pilgrim Hall." In 1959, another excavation was made, this time on the Joseph Howland homesite where over 100,000 artifacts were found. Most are now at the Plymouth Plantation where research is still being conducted. Howland items are still being found. In 1968 , Lothrop Withington, Jr., a member of the Pilgrim Howland Society, discovered in his antiqued spoon mold collection, the mold from which the Howland pap spoon had been made. A Delft plate which supposedly came over on the Mayflower has been donated to the Society by a Howland descendant. In Plymouth, on Burial Hill, standing among the graves of his children, is a stone monument in memory of John Howland. A granite boulder marks the site of John Howland's home in Rocky Nook, Kingston, Mass and another the site of Joseph Howland' s home. In Fenstanton, England, on the wall of Saints Peter and Paul Church, there is a plaque honoring Henry Howland who worshiped and is buried there. Here is where it is thought that John Howland was baptized. The plaque reads: In Memory of HENRY HOWLAND who was buried in the churchyard of this parish on 17 May 1635 Father of John Howland a pilgrim to America on the Mayflower 1620 In Augu