Name of R.M.: Lawtonia No:
Name of Cemetery: Gnadenau MB Church Cemetery
Name of Church: Gnadenau
Condition of Cemetery: Well cared for
Approximate Number of Burials: 105
Ownership of Cemetery: MB Conference (unsure)
Legal Land Location: NE – 12 – 15 – 7 –W3rd
Recorded By: Ken Priebe
Date: June 8, 2003
Local Contact Person: Ken & Myrna Priebe (306) 677-2588
Directions: The Gnadenau MB Cemetery is 9 miles north of Hodgeville, Sk.,
or 13 miles south of the #1 highway on the #19 highway (1/2 mile south
of the Zion Lutheran Church Road).
History: In the Fall of 1906, the families of Jacob A. Priebe, which included
2 sons and one son-in-law, moved to Saskatchewan. Jacob A. Priebe and
the rest of the family moved in April 1907, as well as their married daughter
Katherine and her family. They lived in the district called Flowing Well.
The families met for church in Jacob A. Priebe’s house, as it was
the largest in the district. The church was built in 1911, and was open
until November 1968; it was called the Flowing Well Church. There were
several burials in the Cemetery (1910) before the church was built. Helena
(Enns) Priebe (died Sept.17, 1913) was the first funeral in the church.
The cemetery is still in use today.
* The dates and names following have been recorded from the gravestones
and may not be completely accurate, as some of the stones are hard to
read. The whereabouts of the official record book is unknown.