Name of R.M.: Lawtonia RM 135
Name of Cemetery: Elim MB Church Cemetery
Name of Church: Kelstern Community Church
Condition of Cemetery: Cared for
Approximate Number of Burials: 148
Ownership of Cemetery: MB Conference
Legal Land Location: N.W. - 35 –13 - 7 – W3rd
Recorded By: Kim Ohlmann
Date: June 24, 2003
Local contact person: Wilf Rempel (306) 677 - 2547
Directions: The Elim MB church cemetery is located 1mile south and 3miles
west of the Kelstern MB church.
History: In 1908, a small group of Mennonite Brethren families homesteaded
south of Morse, Sk. At first the families met for worship with a group
at Gnadenau. These services alternated between the homes of the Jacob
Priebes, in the north and the Peter P. Penners, in the south. This group
consisted of 34 baptized believers. More people moved into the area and
by 1910, the membership had risen to 52. As there was 22 miles between
the two farthest families, it was decided that the two groups would only
meet together twice a month. Because they could not organize another church
under the name of Gnadenau, the southern group was organized under the
name Elim. In 1910, they were officially accepted into the Conference
of Mennonite Brethren Church. After Elim officially became a church, and
with more families moving into the area, the homes became too small for
services. In May of 1910, the Queen Centre School became the meeting place
for this young church.
Mr. Jacob J. Froese donated one acre of land, NW1/4 – 35 –
13 – 7 – W3rd., to be used as the cemetery, which the church
was to control completely. In 1914, before the Froese family left, a fence
was put around this property. Today, it is still being used as the church
On February 20, 1918, Mr. Frank Brown donated one acre of land on which
to build a church. That same year in the summer, the church was built.
The building still stands today, but not in the same location. It was
moved to the small hamlet of Kelstern on November 5, 1954.
Elim MB was later changed to Kelstern Community Church and a new building
was built. The first service in the new building was held March 23, 1998
and is still being used today.