The O'Hourihane, Hor(ri)gan
Han(d)rahan, and Horan DNA Projects
Eligibility and project requirements
If you have not yet done Y-DNA testing
Order a Y-DNA STR (short tandem repeat) test product through this FTDNA order link. 37 markers is okay as a start but normally is not sufficient for proving matches with a very recent common ancestor. 67 markers is strongly recommended, 111 is best. Deep SNP tests such as Geno 2.0 and Big Y are not sufficient for enrollment, though they can be useful as an adjunct.
If you have existing or pending results at FTDNA
- Log in to your FTDNA account.
- Click Projects on the menu bar, then click Join.
- You will see a project search page. On that page is a search box. Type Horrigan in the box and click SEARCH.
- Click the link of the project called Hourihane.
- On this Join page there will be an orange button at the bottom labeled JOIN. Click that button.
- There is a chance you might see an error message. IGNORE IT.
- Wait for an email confirming that you are in the project. We know your registration was successfully processed when we see your name and kit number show up in the member list.
- If you do not see a confirmation email within 24-48 hours of sending your join request, email the project administrator or co-administrator.
If you need to transfer Y-DNA to FTDNA
If you have Y-DNA at Ancestry, GeneTree, or 23AndMe, order a Y Transfer With Upgrade ($58) at FTDNA.
DO NOT PURCHASE THE $19 TRANSFER PRODUCT. It does not provide matches. If you buy this product and then decide you want matches, you will have to order a full FTDNA Y product anyway.
If you need to upgrade
If you have transferred data from elsewhere with the $19 transfer product, you will not be able to upgrade - you will need to purchase a new test kit from FTDNA and collect a cheek swab all over again.
If you have already purchased a new FTDNA test product at a lower level of markers, simply order your upgrade through your account to a higher level of markers. An additional cheek swab is not required.
This email is ONLY for DNA project related questions.
Susan J. Barretta, Project Administrator (or message hourihanedna on ancestry.com.)
Colm Ó hAnnracháin, Co-Administrator (in training)
Visit the DNA page for information on DNA tests.
Copyright © 2012 - 2015 Hourihane DNA Projects
Our shortcut, http://tinyurl.com/HourihaneDNAProject will find us!
Last updated: Monday, 20-Apr-2015 13:05:29 MDT