Search billions of records on
David Ritchie Crockett
Rebecca Sullivan
John Crockett
Rebecca Hawkins
David (Davy) Stern Crockett


Family Links

1. Mary (Polly) Kennedy Finley
2. Elizabeth Margaret Patton

David (Davy) Stern Crockett

  • Born: 17 Aug 1786, Limeston River, Greene County, Tennessee
  • Marriage (1): Mary (Polly) Kennedy Finley on 12 Aug 1806 in Dandridge, Jefferson County, Tennessee
  • Marriage (2): Elizabeth Margaret Patton in 1816 in Lawrence, Franklin County, Tennessee
  • Died: 6 Mar 1836, The Alamo San Antonio, Texas at age 49
  • Buried: Fairview Cemetery, Dyersburg, Dyers County, Tennessee

bullet  General Notes:

3rd Cousin 4 times removed

David Stern "Davy" CROCKETT, (John CROCKETT, David , William CROCKETT, Joseph, Antoine CROCKETAGNE, Gabriel DE CROCKETAGNE) was born Aug 17, 1786 in Limestone, Greene Co., Tn, and on Aug 12, 1806 in Dandridge, Jefferson Co., Tn, married (142) Mary Polly FINLEY, daughter of William FINLEY and Jean KENNEDY, who was born about 1790 in Tn. David Davy died on Mar 6, 1836 in The Alamo, San Antonio, Bexar Co., Texas Mary Polly died in 1814 in Jefferson Co., Tn. My Finley / Doak Webpage After leaving his father in Greene Co. Tn Davy and his new wife Polly Finley moved into the duck and elk river section of Lincoln Co., TN on the head of Mulberry Fork. He began to distinguish himself as a hunter. He lived there during the years of 1809-10, then moved to Franklin Co. and settled on Beans Creek, where he remained until the close of the WAR of 1812. When the Creek Indians opened hostilities by butchery at Fort Mimms, August 30, 1812 the malitia was called for the purpose of raising volunteers. Davy volunteered. He was in Capt. Jones' Mounted Vols. They went to Beatty Springs where he went with Major Gibson across the Tennessee River into Creek Nation as a spy. He chose George Russell, son of Major Russell as a partner. They returned safely and reported to Gen. Coffee. Davy and 800 of Gen. Coffee's volunteers crossed the Tennessee river through Huntsville, Ala, and on the river to Muscle Shoals and Melton's Bluff, next to Black Warrior's Town, near the present city of Tuscaloosa, Ala. Davy asked permission of Gen. Coffee to go hunting and there he killed a bear. He fought in the battle at Fort Strother, Fort Talledega and the battle of Talledega. He then joined the Army for the Florida Expedition and rejoined Gen. Russell again to do battle with the British. "I leave this rule when I am dead. Be always sure you are right, then go ahead." <>He returned to Tennessee to find his wife dying. After her death he was obliged to marry Elizabeth Patton, who had been left with two children after her husbands death, Davy felt his young children needed a mother. Davy soon moved from Lawrence Co. Tn because he thought it sickly. He moved to the head of Shoal Creek where he was appointed magistrate. when the Legislature added Giles Co. he was elected Col. of a regiment and became known as Col. Crockett He was elected to the Legislature in 1821. After his term in Washington his next move was further west in Tennessee, to Obion Co. where there were few settlers. He was elected Justice of the Peace, and would sign his name with the following caption. "Be always sure you are right, then go ahead." He returned to the Legislature in 1823-24 opposing Gen. Andrew Jackson for U.S. Senator. He served 2 terms in Congress, 1827-33 but was defeated by the "Indian Bill" and Gen. Jackson in 1834. During a trip to Philadelphia in 1823, he was presented his famous long rifle "Betsy" which contained the following inscription: "Presented to the Honorable David Crockett of Tennessee by the young men of Philadelphia." This inscription is on the barrel in gold, and near the sight is the motto: "Go ahead" in letters of silver. Davy and five survivors gave their lives for freedom. Davy's last memoranda were dated March 5, and as he was slain March 6. He writes writes: "Pop, pop, pop! Boom, boom, boom! Throughout the day. No time for memorandums now, Go Ahead! Liberty and Independance forever! General Castrillion, in command of the Mexican Army, was brave and not cruel, and disposed to save the prisoners. He marched them up to that part of the fort where stood Santa Anna and his murderous crew. "The steady, fearless and undaunted tread of Colonel Crockett on this occasion, together with the bold demeanor of the hardy veteran had a powerful effect on all present. Nothing dauted, he marched up boldly in front of Santa Anna, and looked him sternly in the face while Castrillion addressed "his excellency," Sir, here are six prisoners I have taken alive, how shall I dispose of them?" " Why do you bring them to me?" At the same time several officers plunged their swords into the bosoms of their defenseless prisioners. Col. Crockett seeing the act of treachery, instantly sprang like a tiger at the ruffian chief, but before he could reach him, a dozen swords were sheathed in his heart, and he fell and died without a groan, a frown on his brow, and a smile of scorn and defiance on his lips." The bodies of the slain were then thrown into a mass in the center of the Alamo and burned! Thus ended the life of one of the Nation's best, a man loved and honored by all who knew him. A man who had a keen sense of humor and justice to all people, freedom was his battle cry. So it was that David Crockett gave his life that his country might be free.

Davy Crockett, the celebrated hero, warrior and backwoods statesman, was born August 17, 1786 in a small cabin on the banks of the romantic Nolichucky River, near the mouth of Limestone Creek, which today lies about three and a half miles off 11-E Highway near Limestone, Tennessee.
David "Davy" Crockett was the fifth of nine children and the fifth son born to John and Rebecca Hawkins Crockett. The Crocketts were a self-sufficient, independent family.
Davy Crockett stands for the Spirit of the American Frontier. As a young man he was a crafty Indian fighter and hunter. When he was forty-nine years old, he died a hero's death at the Alamo, helping Texas win independence from Mexico. For many years he was nationally known as a political representative of the frontier.
The elder Davy Crockett, Davy's grandfather, left the settled lands of North Carolina and crossed the mountains into present-day East Tennessee, in search of fresh territory to settle. While his older sons were away with the Revolutionary army at King's Mountain in 1777, the grandfather and his wife, were two of a dozen or so settlers living near present-day Rogersville who were massacred by Creek and Cherokee Indians.
John, Davy's father, soon moved to Greene County where Davy was born. While Davy was still in dresses, his father moved the family to Cove Creek in Greene County, Tennessee, where he built a mill in partnership with Thomas Galbreath. When Davy was eight years old, the mill was washed away with his home. After this disaster John Crockett removed his family to Jefferson County where he built and operated a log-cabin tavern on the Knoxville-Abingdon Road. (This cabin has been restored and is now located at Morristown, 30 miles Southwest of Greeneville.) The young Davy no doubt heard tales told by many a westbound traveler - tales which must have sparked his own desire for adventure in the great western territories. In his dealings with his father's customers, Davy must also have learned much about human nature and so refined his natural skills as a leader. While Davy lived there he spent four days at the school of Benjamin Kitchen. He had a fight with a boy at school and left home to escape a "licking" from his dad.
He got a job helping to drive cattle to Virginia. In Virginia, he worked for farmers, wagoners and a hatmaker. After two and a half years, he returned home. Davy was now fifteen years old and approaching six feet in height. In those days a boy either worked for his father or turned over his pay if he worked for others. Upon promise of his freedom from this obligation, Davy worked a year for men to whom his father owed money. After working off these debts of his father's he continued with his last employer. He often borrowed his employer's rifle and soon became en expert marksman. From his wages he bought new clothes, a horse and a rifle of his own. He began to take part in the local shooting contests. At these contests the prices often were quarters of beef. A contestant would pay twenty-five cents for a single shot at the target and the best shot won the quarter of beef. Davy's aim became so good that more than once, he won all four quarters of beef.
The son of Davy's employer conducted a school near-by, to which, for six months, Davy went four days a week and worked two. Except for the four days he had attended school when he was twelve, this was all the schooling Davy ever had.
Davy Crockett was licensed to marry Margaret Elder in 1805, but this license was never used. However, he was married to Polly Finlay in 1806, just after his twentieth birthday. They lived for the next few years in a small cabin near the Crockett family, where their two sons, John Wesley and William, were born. After Polly Finlay's death in 1815 he married Elizabeth Patton, a widow.
He was commander of a battalion in the Creek Indian War in 1813-1814. He was a member of the Tennessee legislature in 1821-1822 and again in 1823-1824, and of the twentieth Congress of the United States in the years 1827-1829, in the twenty-first Congress, 1829-1831 and again, in the twenty-third Congress, 1833-1835. To be a representative in the Tennessee legislature and then serve honorably as a member of Congress of the United States, was quite a feat for one with less than six months schooling. His motto was, "Be always sure you are right, then go ahead."
While he was a member of the legislature in 1821, the Governor had invited the entire legislature to dinner. A death had occurred and to receive the guests became the duty of the Governor and his twelve year old daughter. The members of the legislature had arranged to arrive as early as possible at the Governor's mansion to witness the arrival of Col. Davy Crockett. The eccentric backwoodsman, or bear hunter, as they called him, came promptly. Having arrived, the Governor presented his daughter to Col. Crockett. He took her by the hand and remarked to the Governor, "When I like a man, I always love his children," and kneeling down , he kissed her, saying, "God bless you my child". He arose no more the backwoodsman or bear hunter, but the most amiable, independent and courageous man in the Tennessee legislature, and such he proved himself to be.
His first, or original, gun is in Jefferson County and has been since 1806. His rifle "Betsy", presented by the Whigs of Philadelphia in 1834, is at Nashville, Tennessee. The tomahawk, or hatchet, presented in 1834 with a rifle, is in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C.
In March, 1836, Davy Crockett, with 139 others, was massacred at the Alamo. Usually, in battles, someone is left to tell the story, but the Alamo had no one. One hundred and eighty-seven men for eleven days withstood the Mexican army of the despot, Santa Anna. When the battle was done, all of the one hundred eighty-seven brave Americans, including Davy Crockett, lay dead on the ground; but with them also lay over two thousand Mexicans, who had died at their hands.
Yes, Davy Crockett of Tennessee, went far in his day by his own effort and achievement, and rose high in the esteem of his fellow men - from the humblest of beginnings, as is attested by the rough-hewn native limestone slab, still to be seen at the site of his birth in upper Greene County, near Limestone, in East Tennessee. His tombstone reads: "Davy Crockett, Pioneer, Patriot, Soldier, Trapper, Explorer, State Legislator, Congressman, Martyred at The Alamo. 1786 - 1836"


David married Mary (Polly) Kennedy Finley on 12 Aug 1806 in Dandridge, Jefferson County, Tennessee. (Mary (Polly) Kennedy Finley was born on 4 Jan 1788 in Jefferson County, Tennessee and died in 1814.)


David next married Elizabeth Margaret Patton in 1816 in Lawrence, Franklin County, Tennessee. (Elizabeth Margaret Patton was born on 22 May 1788 in Buncombe, North Carolina and died on 31 Jan 1860 in Ft. Hood, Texas.)


Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 14 Mar 2011 with Legacy 7.5 from Millennia