Barrett, James C.
Bentley, Allen C.
Bunch Earl S.
Conley, Paul E.
Creekmore, John W.
Dunbar, Ray H.
Duncil, Floyd E.
Elliott, Clark F.
Elliott, Clark F.
Ford, Stanley, L.
Ford, Stanley, L.
Graves, Raymond F.
Harvey, Ed P.
Hutson, John. C.
John, Leo P.
Jones, Floyd W.
Keek, Clark B.
Lewis, Joe B.
Marsee, Ellis D.
Martin, Paul E.
Profitt, Earl J.
Reynolds, Joe T.
Roark, Daris S.
Roberts, Hemmer B.
Short, Felix A.
Sullivan, David W.
Teel, Frank H.
Vansant, William R.
Vaughn, John J.
Walker, Ralph John
Woodruff, Robert J.
Zima, Gustav J.
Zygmunt, Stanley M.
|Company 1578 was organized as a veteran company on July
1, 1935, with a cadre of 23 enrollees from company 1562, Camp SCS-15, Madisonville,
Kentucky, with Capt. Norman S. Wiggs in Command and Lieut. E.H. Druley,
a Junior Officer.
On July 3, 1935, Company 1578 arrived at Camp SP-1, Corbin, Kentucky, with its cadre and officers. The enrolled personnel of veteran Company 1578 arrived on July 24 and 25, making a full strength company.
Camp SP-1 had been occupied by Company 509 prior to the organization of Company 1578. The work at Camp SP-1 was the improvement of the Cumberland Falls State Park, consisting of approximately 600 acres of land donated to the State of Kentucky by Mr. Coleman Dr Pont, originally of Louisville, Kentucky.
In this park were many beautiful places of scenery. The most important was the Cumberland Falls, with a water fall of approximately 85 feet, and the only place in the United States where a moon bow could be seen. Tourists from every State in the union have visited this beautiful waterfall in the past three years.
The veterans completed several projects started by Company 509, such as the Du Pont Lodge, which was constructed of stone and hewed logs, which has accommodations for about 250 people and is open all year.
Captain Wiggs was promoted to Sector Commander of the Cumberland, Kentucky, Sector on June 28, 1936, and Lieutenant Druley assumed command of Company 1578. Lieut. Harold C. Gors was transferred from Buckhorn, Kentucky, on June 29, as Junior Officers.
Veteran Company 1578 was reorganized on July 4, 1936, as a junior company, with a cadre of 22 enrollees selected from companies of the Fort Thomas District, and by July 15 Company 1578 was up to full strength.
Taking up where the veterans had left off the junior company occupied Camp SP-1, and continued the improvement of the Cumberland Falls State Park, completing a large parking area at the Falls, about 32 miles of foot trails, several shelter houses, overnight cabins, and stone steps from the Du Pont Lodge to the Cumberland River, a distance of about sixteen hundred feet.
Mr. Harold E. Wentworth, of Corbin, Kentucky, was the Superintendent of the Cumberland Falls State Park during the period July 1, 1935, to October 1, 1937.
Lieutenant Walter F. Diesem relieved Lieutenant Gors as Junior Officer on October 30, 1936, and continued until September 5, 1937, when he was relieved by Lieut. Brewster C. O’Shea, who served until October 1, 1937, being transferred to company 509. Then came Lieut. Joseph S. Rodkey, who served until December 3, 1937. Lieut. Lynn A. Breece, the present Junior Officer, joined the company on December 5, 1937.
Lieutenant Druley, Commanding Officer, was transferred to Buckhorn, Kentucky, and Lieut. Herbert S. Danner assumed command on March 10, 1937, when Lieutenant Thomas B. Caldwell, the present commanding officer, assumed command.
During the period July 16, 1936 to September 28, 1937, Company 1578
had three different Educational Advisers. The first was Mr. William Cotttingham,
of Ashland, Kentucky. Mr. Mark T. Ratliff, of Pikeville, Kentucky, relieved
Mr. Cottingham on September 18, 1936, and served until March 9, 1937, when
he was relieved by Arthur “Pop” Johnson, of Winchester, Kentucky. “Pop”
Johnson, as he liked to be called
Each educational adviser devoted all his time to the educational program,
and the enrollees of Company 1578, consisting of Lieutenant Caldwell, Lieutenant
Rodkey, and 170 enrollees moved to Camp Grayville SCS-6, Grayville, Illinois,
remaining there until
On December 18, 1937 Company 1578, consisting of Lieutenant Caldwell, Lieutenant Breece, and 158 enrollees, departed from Grayville, Illinois, for Camp Tule Lake BR-20, Merrill, Oregon, arriving here on the night of December 21, 1937, and were meet by Lieut. Joe B. Odeneal, former commander of Camp Tule Lake BR-20.
Company 1578 still has four of the enrollee who helped to make up the cadre of the junior company on July 4, 1936, they are : Eugene Biller, Frank Creech, Talmadge Peek, and Woodrow Rowland.
After getting settled down at Camp Tule Lake, with George H. Durfee,
Camp Superintendent, and Frank Corbett, Camp Educational Adviser, Company
1578 is enjoying the Ninth Corps Area.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids