(taken from a 1938 yearbook owned by Hazel Gendron)
(Pictures at the bottom)
Blanchard, Hal D.
Cook, Luther L.
Fuller, Harry R.
Gowdy, James H.
Hardin, Ralph B.
| One of the oldest Fifth Corps Area companies in the
Medford District, Company 503, was organized at Fort Knox, Kentucky, April
Since that time, the company has been moved about and has seen a good share of the United States, serving in Kentucky, California, Ohio, Illinois, and finally in Oregon. It has been engaged in many interesting work projects, one of the most interesting being its present project with the Department of Grazing.
After being organized at Fort Knox, Kentucky, the company remained there until May 21, 1933 when it made its first trek west to Truckee, California until October 15, 1933, when it returned to Fort Knox for two months. On December 3, 1933, the company set up at Camp S-70, Morgantown, Ohio, where it remained nearly four years, pulling up stakes October 8, 1937, transferring to Camp SCS-38, Edwardsville, Illinois.
The company remained here but a few weeks, however, departing December 18, 1937, for Camp Silver Lake DG-62, Oregon, where it arrived December 22, 1937.
The camp is one of three Division of Grazing camps in Oregon. It is engaged in many interesting projects beneficial to the grazing industry of eastern Oregon.
Most important of these are telephone line construction for communication between grazing areas; truck tracks for the transportation of stock, feed and supplies; water supply development, which includes development and improvement of springs, with adequate watering troughs, and the construction of dams and reservoirs; drift fences to protect the grass and prevent over-grazing; the eradication of poisonous weeds injurious to livestock, such as larkspur, loco and death cammas; rodent control, which in this section is chiefly the work of eradicating the kangaroo rat, so destructive to field and grass crops.
Besides Lieutenant Frederick Leidel, the army staff includes 1st Lieut. Alfred E. Salzman, Inf-Res. Junior Officer; Dr. Irving A. Lewe, Camp Surgeon, and Ralph B. Hardin, Educational Advisor.
H. R. Fuller is Project Superintendent, with C. D. Pugsley, Duncan
Sanders, and J. H. Gowdy as non-technical foremen; Hal Blanchard s mechanic,
Car Settle as clerk’s helper, James Murphy as blacksmith’s helper, and
Luther L. Cook as machine operator’s helper.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description