(Pictures at the bottom)
Breiding, Ray O.
Cibula, Alvin M.
LeRoy, Warren S.
Roberts, Ernest A.
Roberts, Lawrence J.
Staff, Henry Dr.
|In May, 1933, fifty
men were gathered together in San Francisco under the command of Captain
J.R. Cameron, CA-U.S.A., to form the nucleus of Company 1910. Aided by
several non-commissioned officers, Captain Cameron proceeded with his men
to Indian Creek, California, which was then and until about a year later
in the Redding District, and on May 25, 1933, construction of a camp was
Camp buildings had been almost completed on June 19 when the main body arrived from Los Angeles to bring the company strength up to the 206 mark. Under the superintendence of Mr. Ray O. Brieding, who has remained with the company from the time of its inception to the present day, projects were immediately begun.
The Happy Camp bridge, a 300-foot, all -steel suspension structure across the Klamath was the first project completed; work on the construction of two truck trails and the improvement of one road was carried on at the same time.
Captain William Ryan, present Welfare Officer, took command in November 1933, remaining for more than a year. In this important first year of camp building and job organization the new company was fortunate in not being hampered by forest fires. The men bent all their energies to pushing forward the roadwork. In the summer of 1934 three road projects were simultaneously carried on from the main camp and two spike camps. The company held the flag almost continually and was runner-up for the rating of the finest amp of the Ninth Corp Area. Thirty miles of road was put up into the Siskiyous before snows drove the workers to lower levels, where they spent the winter gravelling the completed roads and road-side clearings.
The favor of fortune that spared fire duty failed in another way, for a meningitis case put the camp into a working quarantine for almost the duration of the winter.
In January 1935, Captain Guy W. Saunders, Inf.Res. took command and remained until September 1937. Road building was continued throughout the summer. The company upheld its record of never letting a fire get out of control or grow into dangerous size. But in March 1936, a call from the city of Shasta sent the men 120 miles to tramp through snow-filled forests against a serious fire. Two days fighting were ended by a snowstorm that came up and smothered the blaze, against which the fighters frozen tank wagons had made little headway.
On June 15, 1936, the Indian Creek location was given over to a spike camp and the main cap was moved to a river-side, mountain-circled site in Seiad Valley, where the abandoned barracks were reoccupied by Company 1910 in a drenching downpour.
A project of building campgrounds and developing recreation areas up and down the river was now begun. In the spring of 1937 machinery was regained and work on the mountainous China Creek road was resumed, bringing the total mileage of road construction close to 100. Most of the roads have been built over uneven, fairly rocky mountain areas, necessitating the removal of approximately 7,000 cubic yards of dirt per mile.
Eight campgrounds, two ranger stations, and two guard stations have been completed. The four lookout stations were constructed by spike camps that perched on the mountain tops, transporting the timber and cement for towers by mule pack trains over the trails that they later made into roads.
The company pre-casts campground stoves and concrete cribbing for the entire forest. It has put up fifty miles of telephone line and built four steel bridges.
The camp athletic activities produced outstanding baseball teams in the early years and a district champion basketball team in the winter of 1935-36. The fighters of 1910 have made consistently excellent showings in Medford boxing contests.
In 1936 a building to provide schoolrooms and house the company's 3,000 books, one of the district's finest libraries, was completed.
Numerous enrollees have been promoted to Forestry positions, including the five bulldozer operators, one bridge foreman, two junior assistant technicians, three semi-skilled laborers, and one junior foreman.
The present commanding officer is Captain Albin M. Cibula, CA-Res; 2nd Lieut. Warren S. LeRoy, CW-Res., is Camp Adjutant; Mr. Maurice M. Gentle is Education Adviser; Dr. Henry Staff, Camp Surgeon.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids