Glynn, T. Orr, J.
Horn, D. M.
Page, Lieut.John W.
On May 13, 1933, the 922nd Company was organized at Fort McDowell, Angel Island, California, for service in the forests of Northern California.
On May 16, 1933,an advance party of 12 men commanded by Captain s. B. Cawthorne, Inf. U.S.A. arrived at the Oak Knoll Ranger Station situated on the Klamath River about 30 miles west and south of the famous old gold mining town of Yreka, Siskiyou County, California.
On May 27, 1933, Lieut. H. F. Phelan, Inf.Res. with the main body of 922nd Company, of 110 members, left Fort McDowell and detrained at Hornbrook, Siskiyou County. Motor trucks transported them to Camp Oak Knoll, arriving there May 28 where tents were set up and a field kitchen established.
Captain Cawthorne was succeeded in July by Captain Fern, Is. U.S.Cavalry. He was followed by Captain M. S. Curtis, 10th F.A. in September 1933. On December 7, 1933, Ist. Lieut. H.F.Phelan, 30th Inf.Res. assumed command upon departure of Captain Curtis, the last Regular Army Officer to be in command. On May 1, 1934, the 922nd Company was transferred from the Redding District to the Medford District.
The 922nd Company has had an enviable athletic record to date. Its athletic teams have actively engaged in baseball, football, boxing, and basketball each year. While in the Redding District the Company’s basketball, baseball, and boxing team won the district championships. In the Medford District its boxing teams have been outstanding.
The 922nd Company has always been active in promoting congenial community relationships. Each Christmas and Easter, children of the Klamath River communities are entertained at parties given in their honor.
On April 4, 1937, the fourth anniversary of the CCC, one of the largest crowds in the Medford District, over 800 people, visited Camp Oak Knoll to see CCC life at close hand and take part in the celebration.
In the spring of 1937, 922 Company inaugurated its first agricultural project, a company garden on a large scale. So successful was this project that it furnished all vegetables and many fruits required by the mess for the summer. Over thirty-seven varieties of fruits and vegetables were raised, and the company’s ground cellar has been filled with winter vegetables.
Beginning with a few loaned books in 1934, the Company’s Educational Program has grown to surprising proportions. During the summer of 1935 a library, darkroom, storage room and a reading room were built by members of the 922nd Company in their spare time. In 1936 an office for the adviser was built and further additions of schoolroom furniture were made. A woodworking shop has been completed, and with the installation of various lathes, saws, grinders and the like (driven by a gasoline powered engine) is a fine addition to the camp educational facilities. At the present time the program embodies a dual feature of training for citizenship and for life occupations.
On the technical agency work projects the 922nd Company has accomplished a great deal. Under the direction of Forest Service Officials, 40 acres of forest trees were planted; 202 miles of truck trails built; four lookout stations and 104 miles of standard type telephone lines constructed; three steel bridges and one low water bridge were built; two miles of four-inch water mains and a like amount of two-inch were laid. Members aided in the construction of the Yreka warehouses and shops, the Yreka Side Camp; the Fort Jones Ranger Station and the Sawyers Bar Ranger Station. 922 Company men have fought numerous forest fires, the most hectic week was a week in August 1936, when over 600 men were used in extinguishing three large fires burning simultaneously.
Among the varied units of work accomplished in 1937 was one on a Forest Service-California State Department of Natural Resources cooperative wild life project. Five large automatic fish screens were built.
Company 922 enjoyed the unique distinction of having remained at the same camp since its inception in May 1933 until late in December 1937, and of having the same Company Commander for over four years. Capt. H.F.Phelan, who joined the company May 13, 1933 and took command later that year, stayed right through with the same outfit until late in January, 1938 when he retired to civil life.
While the company strength has averaged less than 175 men, yet over 1,500 men have seen service and have been discharged for ETS or employment, better fitted to secure jobs in civil life.
In December 1937, Company 922 received notice it was at last to leave Oak Knoll and move to Camp Whitmore, near Redding, California, and it was with reluctance that the outfit pulled stakes and moved to the new location.
It was just before the New Year that Capt. Philip B. Foote, Air-Res. took command of the company, relieving Captain Phelan, who planned to return to civil life after nearly five years with the CCC. Ist. Lieut. Charles A. Miller, Air-Res., was assigned as Junior Officers with Dr. Bertram L. Trelstad as Surgeon and John R. Fatooh as Adviser.
The company has now settled down it its new camp and is enjoying its new experiences.
All Southern Oregon and Nothern California Camps from
Ninth District Camps and locations in 1938 and description
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids